A Little [Inconsistent]...

I'm posting this because..... well to showcase how effective a strategy this is, but also because I think that it doesn't really matter whether or not you know my movesets and EVs, so this is one place where constructive criticism is actually helpful. This is the team I laddered with under the alt [Inconsistent]. I pretty quickly achieved a rating of 1300 (and rising), which is #1 on the LC ladder by far (my real account is about 50 points lower at #2 which is like another 70 points higher than #3, for clarity).

I made this team because Draco used Inconsistent Remoraid in a battle and it was pretty effective. It seemed to me like Inconsistent could be abused very easily in LC, so I whipped up a team to do so. I haven't made any changes to the team since I made it, because I like it as it is and didn't want to mess with it.

That's what you guys are for.

[Inconsistent]

You're going to want to read this.

Contrary to what most people think, strategy involving Inconsistent isn't just to spam Substitute/Protect. It involves knowing when spamming Sub/Protect is OK, and creating opportunities to do so. Once these opportunites are seized, it's difficult to lose. I'm not justifying Inconsistent as a legitimate strategy that requires as much skill as any other (because its not and it doesn't), just clearing a misconception. It minimizes the amount of skill needed to win consistently, but it certainly doesn't reduce it completely.

The strategy is simple. There are two main scenarios where I can set up an Inconsistent sweep. The first is on defensive/set up pokes that have a hard time killing my Inconsistent Pokemon. The second is on Choice-locked or Encored Pokemon that are stuck into a move that allows me to set up a Substitute. If I can set up a Sub safely in either of these two scenarios, I will quite frequently win.

There are several ways things that can make an Inconsistent sweep difficult though. Hail or Sandstorm will nullify Leftovers recovery, meaning Substitute/Protect can not be spammed as easily. This means Hippopotas and Snover need to be removed from the match and the weather needs to be removed. Toxic Spikes will Poison Remoraid and Bidoof, making them die eventually as they are losing health too quickly to spam Substitute/Protect. Toxic Spikes also need to be taken care of to win. Other ways to stop Inconsistent, like Haze and Perish Song, are too rare in Little Cup to worry about. The only thing left to worry about is teams that don't allow me to set up a Substitute, but I'll go over that.

Here's the real RMT and not just a ramble.

[The Inconsistent Abusers]

Remoraid @ Leftovers
Inconsistent : Hasty
76 HP / 156 Def / 236 Spe
- Substitute
- Protect
- Surf
- Bullet Seed

Not the first poke in my team preview, but I find myself sending it out turn 1 more and more often. Most people try and lead with something that can set up turn 1, and Remoraid really just fucks them over if they do. Also, Fake Out leads give Remoraid a free Protect, and with 17 Speed it's at worst tying with Kojofuu (not if I get a Speed boost turn 1 with Protect though!), so I can usually just throw up a Sub. Meditite can't really do anything to Remoraid either.

The two things Remoraid has going for it is that it is fast, and it's strong. Both 65 Speed and SpAtk are aggrevating, because it only needs one boost in either area to be a true menace. Maxed Speed allows it to set up Subtitute against most Pokemon even without a Speed boost. With 21 HP, Remoraid can use Substitute/Protect 12 times (actually 13 if it Protects first), not factoring in the probably Evasion and defensive boosts that will allow for even more. The other EVs were thrown into Defense, giving Remoraid a Defense and Special Defense of 10.

I originally had Flamethrower with Surf. However, Bullet Seed lets me beat other Inconsistent users. Also, if for some reason I find that only my Attack is getting boosted and my Special Attack is at like -4, I can still do damage. I have one less point in each defense than before, but whatever. I guess I should also be more afraid of [Bullet Seed] Tesshiido but again, whatever.

Bidoof @ Leftovers
Inconsistent : Timid
44 HP / 116 Def / 116 SpD / 188 Spe
- Substitute
- Protect
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

Bidoof is I think the bulkiest Inconsistent user in LC, so that's a plus. With Timid max Speed it hits 13, which is usable after a Speed boost. 23 HP gives it even more chances to Sub/Protect than Remoraid, and again the rest were thrown in defenses.

Bidoof has a shitty physical movepool, so I decided to go special. I didn't want to have to use Return/Pluck... Thunderbolt and Ice Beam get a lot of kills anyways, especially surprise kills on stuff like Gligar and Murkrow, so I went with those. I should really find better moves .-.

[The Supporters]

Tentacool @ Evolution Stone
Liquid Ooze : Calm
196 HP / 76 Def / 36 SpA / 196 SpD
- Toxic Spikes
- Haze
- Boil Over
- Venom Shock

Tentacool sets up Toxic Spikes and removes opposing Toxic Spikes. To be honest, the latter is far more important. I'm running Evolution Stone because it allows Tentacool to take physical hits without keeling over, as well as surviving basically every special hit. Boil Over burns stuff hopefully (it never seems to though X_X) aiding set up of Inconsistent pokes, but also keeping stuff from setting up on Tentacool. Venom Shock hits Poisoned pokemon for double damage.

I originally had some Speed EVs on Tentacool, but I moved them to Defense so he can be bulkier. HP and Special Defense are mazed to make Tentacool really bulky, giving it many opportunities to set up Toxic Spikes.

I have Haze to help with other Inconsistent teams. I'm also running less Speed so I can let something like Shellder go first and use Shell Smash, then let me Haze, so it doesn't sweep the whole team....

Wynaut @ Evolution Stone
Shadow Tag : Impish
236 HP / 52 Def / 132 SpD / 12 Spe
- Encore
- Counter
- Mirror Coat
- Destiny Bond

Encore support is very helpful, and nobody does it better than Wynaut. Wynaut also lets me remove a problem Pokemon of choice from the match, like say Snover or Chinchou. I run Destiny Bond because it helps me get kills on slower pokes, and usually against faster pokes that can't OHKO. Tickle could help set up or whatever, but Wynaut usually comes in on SR or something. The other moves are bread and butter.

HP is maximized to maximize CounterCoat damage. Evolution Stone lets me take on stuff like Meditite better, but I usually use Meditite as set-up bait anyways. Oran Berry may actually be best to make it so that CounterCoat damage is truly maximized, but I like being able to Encore lots of weaker attacks more.

[The Revenge Killers]

Elekid @ Life Orb
Static : Jolly
252 Atk / 236 Spe
- Rain Dance
- Wild Bolt
- Cross Chop
- Ice Punch

Elekid is only here because it's fast and gets Rain Dance. I use it once I kill Hippopotas or Snover so I can start Inconsistent sweeping. I chose Rain Dance over Sunny Day because Sunny Day sweepers are a little more threatening with Sleep moves and good coverage, while Rain sweepers are pretty easy to wall with Tentacool and Wynaut. Also, Rain teams are far less common as there is no LC Pokemon with Drizzle. The other moves are just there to hit as hard as possible against as many Pokemon as possible.

Jolly max Speed ensures that I'll get up Rain Dance against everything but strong Scarf Pokemon. It also means I will probably be able to revenge kill anything that hasnt boosted Speed.

Gligar @ Choice Scarf
Sand Veil : Jolly
236 Atk / 236 Spe
- Earthquake
- Aerial Ace
- Aqua Tail
- U-turn

Gligar is the Pokemon I lead with on team preview. Earthquake + Aerial Ace + Aqua Tail gets nice coverage against most Pokemon in the metagame. U-turn gives me even more opportunites to bring in Remoraid or Bidoof, especially if I kill something with U-turn as I'll get a free boost at the end of the turn.

I chose Jolly to outspeed as much as possible. It hits 29 Speed, so it'll even outspeed some slower Sunny Day sweepers, and obviously every common Scarf Pokemon.

Aerial Ace gives me yet another check against opposing Inconsistent pokes, but also I hate Stone Edge and I basically never used it when I had it.
---

This team is pretty solid I guess. It doesn't really need to be perfect to win most battles, but I suppose any nitpicks would be great.

There is one thing I mentioned earlier that I want to touch on now. I said that I can set up easily against defensive teams and against Choice Scarf/Encore locked Pokemon, but some teams don't allow me to do this. More specifically, when I'm playing bad or the opposing player is playing smart, I won't get that many really safe chances to set up. However, if I bring in Remoraid or Bidoof after a kill and use Protect, there is a 2/7 chance I boost Speed or Evasion. Both of those give me opportunies to Substitute, and from there it's very hard to lose. (The speed boost is generally better unless the opponent has also boosted Speed, since +2 Evasion is still hitting 7/9 times IIRC). This is not counting a possible defense boost that also allows me to set up.

This is a much more frequent occurance than I would like to admit (I'm not perfect....). The player who plays better should be the one that wins, and Inconsistent really makes that unlikely. For this reason, I think it should be removed from competitive play.

Anyways, rate!

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
This team sucks. Go to hell.

It's really well put together, it looks like monmen with that priority leech seed is a problem though. For that reason I'd suggest using Aerial Ace over Aqua Tail, as the SE hit on monmen helps kill it faster, and it can't sub on the u-turn. Outside that, this team is incredibly gay good, nice job.

Thanks for clearing that up, Nails.

I've tried Wild Bolt on Elekid and I don't find it very effective. I agree, it's a nice copy of U-Turn, but they're times when you don't need to switch out and it's just annoying.

Crux

Banned deucer.
Thanks for clearing that up, Nails.

I've tried Wild Bolt on Elekid and I don't find it very effective. I agree, it's a nice copy of U-Turn, but they're times when you don't need to switch out and it's just annoying.
You mean Volt Change. Wild Bolt is different.

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Wild Bolt is the 90 bp physical electric move with recoil. You are thinking of Volt Change, tag, which is the special Electric u-turn.

It's really well put together, it looks like monmen with that priority leech seed is a problem though. For that reason I'd suggest using Aerial Ace over Aqua Tail, as the SE hit on monmen helps kill it faster, and it can't sub on the u-turn. Outside that, this team is incredibly good, nice job.
I agree with Nails Aerial Ace would be good. Seriously though you stole my idea. I used Bidoof ages ago. Anyway other than that this team is flawless, I lost to it like 20 times.

This team showcases the effectiveness of Inconsistency, but dammit, I hate it to death.

I also would like to third the notion of replacing U-Turn with Aerial Ace, for reasons already mentioned in previous posts.

Overall, good work, and thanks for sparking an interest in LC.

deinosaur

now available in lowercase
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Oh God you have beaten me into the floor with this team so many times. I truly hate battling [Inconsistent].

But this team is amazing, and the only change I would make is Aerial Ace like the others are recommending.

This showcases how broken Inconsistent really is, and the fact that you actually have a strategy too only makes things that much worse. On one side this team is great, on the other it's horrible. Good job.

I made a few changes to the team that I think give it a nice edge over other Inconsistent teams, while also allowing me to better check normal teams as well.

Crux

Banned deucer.
What's the point of running Boil Over on Tenta EM? If you burn them before you set up Toxic Spikes then they don't get Poisoned, allowing you to inflict less damage and them to take less damage in the long term. Wouldn't Surf be the better option due to its higher base power and lack of secondary effect?

Actually I just changed Tentacool for Yabukuron and I'll update this whole thing in a bit. I also went Rock Blast > Bullet Seed on Remoraid to help with Monmen and Snover, and Yawn > Thunderbolt on Bidoof to enhance set up opportunities and stuff....

My only real problem at this point is Tesshiido is a giant pain now. I'm thinking about going full circle and running Flamethrower on Remoraid again because now I have Clear Smog Yabukuron who really beats most Remoraid.

Haha, I've battled this team a number of times on Smogon (Whiteboi, if you remember)

Just a little nitpick, I'd think that Wynaut's first slash should be Oran Berry so that its not a deadbeat after it kills something with counter/mirror coat; after rocks twice and taking a hit big enough to kill the opponent, that evolution stone's not doing much.

Hmm ok.
I like bibarel running the special attacks with puririru running around.

You will have a hard time with regeneration tamagetake.
With spore, stun spore, clear smog, and giga drain. Its typing only fears the aerial ace on your gliscor and ice punch on elekid. But then it can leave , reheal 33 % hp, and also switch into a steel and setup. nothing much 0:)
Clear smog will kill your inconsistents and giga drain is a weakness both of them share.

Thats pretty much it! I love the team. I have one VERY similar to it.
Seriously though, tamagetake will screw this over

Edit:

And I completely agree with you in the fact that inconsistent takes skill.
The pokemon are so weak its hard to find a space for a sub.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)