1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

A New Beginner [Signups]

Discussion in 'Circus Maximus' started by askaninjask, Jun 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. askaninjask

askaninjask [FLAIL ARMS]
    is a Forum Moderator

Welcome to the newest incarnation of Beginner mafia, A New Beginner. This game is designed to help users who are new to the game join and integrate themselves within the mafia community. As such, only people who have been in fewer than 3 games may be considered to join. This is to allow people who are learning how to play some time before they take the full plunge into Smogon mafia.

The game will be fairly simple and will use common roles that everyone in the mafia community is familiar with. My hope is that by the end of this game, you will know what to expect from most games here on Smogon. Below is an FAQ; I suggest first time players read through it to get a general idea of the game.

FAQ (open)
    What is the format of the game of mafia?
    Essentially, the players in the game form a town. Most of the residents of the town are good (they constitute the village), but some are evil (they are the mafia) and wish to eliminate all of the users who are good. Those who are evil know who each other are, but those who are good do now start the game knowing who each other are. As the village, you want to find and kill all of the mafia before they kill all of you, and as the mafia, you want to stay hidden (or pretend to be a villager) for long enough to kill all of the good people.

How do you eliminate a player?
    There are two ways to eliminate a player. They can either be killed in the Night phase of play, or in the Day phase of play. The mafia and other evil people can kill at night, while the village cannot. In order to kill at night, one member from the evil team sends a PM to the host (me) telling me who they want to kill. In the morning, I post who died and tell everyone what his role was.

In the daytime, the village has a chance to strike back. Every day, everyone in the game posts a vote in the thread on who they think is most likely to be the mafia. At the end of the day, the person with the most votes is eliminated (whether they were mafia or not). This is the only way the village can kill the mafia.

What’s a role?
    Every person in the game has a role. A role consists of 3 things: a role name, an ability, and an alliance. In the beginning of the game, you are given a role PM with all of this information. Your role does not change throughout the course of the game. Your role defines who you are and your place in the game.

What’s a role name?
    A role name is just what it sounds like. It’s the name of your role. In this game, for instance, it might be Abraham Lincoln (however, most of the role names of this game come from more modern examples of Republicans).

What’s an ability?
    An ability is usually something that you can do during the night phase of the game. Every role has its ability described in-depth in its role PM. e.g. One common example of an ability is a bodyguard. Someone whose ability is to bodyguard someone can protect someone from a kill.

What’s an alliance?
    Your alliance is either to the village or to one of the evil factions of the game. In this game, the village is the Republicans, and the evil factions are the Liberal Media Elite, Illegal Aliens, and the Lone Wolf. If you are allied with the Republicans, your goal is to help the Republicans outlast all of the other 3 factions, and the same for each of the other 3 factions. The word “faction” may be used interchangeably with the word “alliance”.

What might a role PM look like?
    If this were Altair’s PM, it might look something like this:

Alright, that should be it for the "how to play". In addition to that there are several rules which are not to be broken by anyone. They’re important, and if you get in the game you should probably read them.

The Rules (open)
    1.) So long as you are alive in this game you may talk to any other living player. When you are dead you may not speak with any living player, unless you are mafia and talking strategy to a teammate. No information may be passed from a dead player to a living one.

2.) Every user has a role PM. You may not copy and paste your role PMs on the first night of the game, N0. After N0 is over, you may copy and paste your role PMs.

3.) No screenshots, ever. If someone shows you a screenshot, let me know.

4.) You may paste logs of conversations had on IRC, including logs with the host. You can also fake a log, even a log with the host.

5.) Each day will have a deadline of 48 hours. You may vote to lynch users during the day by posting "lynch USER" in bold, or "No lynch" if you don't want to lynch anyone, and if you change your vote, you MUST edit the bolded text out of the old post if you post with a new vote. Once there is a majority as determined by the host, there will be a grace period of 3 hours, and if the majority is still in place after said grace period, the day will end. Please don't ask about when a majority is reached - once it's time for the day to end, it'll end (provided the host is there to update).

6.) If there is a tie in the lynch, nobody will be lynched.

7.) Priorities (the order in which actions are executed) are preset and will not be revealed.

Two other things. Firstly, please attempt to be active for this game. I would prefer not to have to sub you out of the game, so if you can, please stick with the game and check it at regular intervals. If you play the game for a few days and nights, you WILL get it.

Secondly, if you have any questions on absolutely anything mafia related, you can ask me (askaninjask), billymills, Altair, or theangryscientist. We are more than happy to answer any questions you might have on anything I just said and more.

—-

The factions in this game are named in the following way. The village is going to be called the Republicans. All members of the village will be notable Republicans. There will be two mafia factions, the first of which will be called the Liberal Media Elite and the second of which will be called the Illegal Aliens. There will also one person who needs everyone else dead called the Lone Wolf.

While the game is somewhat political in nature, I’m sure you will be able to enjoy it no matter how you feel about American politics.

To sign up for the game, post in this thread saying that you wish to join. Once again, you may NOT join the game if you have played 3 or more Smogon mafia games in the past. There will be 17 players in this game, but I will probably need a few users whom I can use as substitutes for lazy people.

Signups:
    Steamroll
    Draycos7
    UllarWarlord
    YAYtears
    Nexus
    Blackhawk11
    Trollmonchan
    pokemonrocks777
    xenu
    idiotfrommars
    The Royal Guard
    Ragnarokalex
    ButteredToast
    penguin334
    AOPSUser
    Tan
    Vix
    MrcRanger97
    McAwesome
    Isaac 2.0
    Darkaxis
    Jimera0
    Solace
    Honus
    pokemon0078

As a sub:
    shinyskarmory

EDIT: IRC, while not necessary, is extremely useful for these kinds of games. If you play, you will have the most fun and play the best if you use IRC. There are tutorials about how to get onto IRC here if you use a PC and here if you use a Mac.
  2. Steamroll

Steamroll Tasty
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

3. Draycos7

Draycos7

In for the win.
    and P1
  4. UllarWarlord

UllarWarlord

I've technically been in 2.5 games. does this qualify me?
  5. YAYtears

YAYtears

In.
    Also the lone wolf has priority over most other factions in most mafia games

EDIT:What channel?
    EDIT2:Steamroll your rollercoaster sucks
  6. Nexus

Nexus Day 358: Believe
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogon
    Wi-Fi Commissioner

In. P1
  7. Blackhawk11

Blackhawk11 one on one

In! I haven't been in any mafia games but have a pretty firm grasp on the concept and have followed many of the Circus mafias over the past few years. Also P1.
  8. Objection

Objection

DAMMIT!

Oh well, expect me to be an avidly-watching spectator instead.

EDIT:
    One says you're only allowed in if you've played < 3 games.

One says you're not allowed in if you've played >= 3 games.

There is no contradiction.
  9. Acklow

Acklow

I wrote this article with beginners in mind. If you want to read up more on the specifics of Mafia, check this out, as it lays everything out quite nicely.
    Article
  10. Harlot

Harlot

in :D

edit: P1
  11. Ditto

Ditto /me huggles
    is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Where is Uncle Sam? This game would be right up hi alley!
  12. pokemonrocks777

pokemonrocks777

p1 please
    btw this will be my second Game Officially
  13. theangryscientist

theangryscientist

You have played 3 games. The first of those rules says you may only join if you have played less than 3 games, which makes you ineligible. The second one says you may not join if you have played 3 or more games, which also makes you ineligible. Either way, given that those games were so long ago, aska may see fit to allow you into the game, so you might as well sign up anyway.
  14. pokemonrocks777

pokemonrocks777

Edit: TAS helped me
  15. xenu

xenu Banned deucer.

in, i guess!
  16. idiotfrommars

idiotfrommars schemes and plots are the same thing
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

17. The Royal Guard

The Royal Guard

In. P1

Just gonna charge headfirst into this...

LERRRRRRRROOOOOYYYY JJJJJJJEEENNKKKINSSSSSS!!!!!!!
  18. Ragnarokalex

Ragnarokalex

well these have always looked really cool to me, so i guess ill give it a shot, thisll be number 1 for me, so P1 i spose
  19. ButteredToast

ButteredToast

I'm up for a game. :D
    P1
  20. pokemonrocks777

pokemonrocks777

Btw what is the IRC channel for this Game?
  21. penguin344

penguin344

in P1
    probably a good choice for a first game
  22. AOPSUser

AOPSUser

Time to put all my mafia "skills" to use!
    In.
  23. shinyskarmory

shinyskarmory

Afraid I can't join because of finals (for me), but I'll sub in later.

and for reference, I've played in 2 and hosted 1, so I'm good to go.
  24. askaninjask

askaninjask [FLAIL ARMS]
    is a Forum Moderator

If you come on IRC (as I suggest you do if you're playing), I've created a channel you can hang out on so you can speak with other people in the game. The channel is called #congress, and you should join it.
  25. Daenym

Daenym

You were in:
    Futurama
    Internet
    Medieval NOC
    Eep edit: Shift too

Might be another I'm missing. So that's aska's call
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)