1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

A New Tier

Discussion in 'Other Metagames' started by Dukewarrior13, Jul 31, 2013.

?

Is this Tier a good idea

1. Yes

50.0%
  2. No

50.0%
  1. Dukewarrior13

Dukewarrior13

[​IMG]
    Hello Smogoners, Smgonites and Smogonieers! First off let me say that I was confused on where to post this thread. I was about to post it in the Pokémon Showdown Forum, but I think it would end up better in the Suggestion Box since Pokémon Showdown and Smogon are deeply intertwined. Second, I would also like to inform you that I have been playing Pokémon competitively for two years and recreationally for another seven years. Enough about me, lets get on with the idea...

I propose that we should make a new tier on Pokémon Showdown. Tiers are designed to keep stronger Pokémon battling stronger Pokémon and weaker Pokémon battling weaker Pokémon. This is a great method except a certain group of Pokémon still are left in the dust despite being in their appropriate tier. What is this group of Pokémon you ask?

The Pokémon that don't evolve.

Pokémon who don't evolve are (most of the time) statistically weaker than Pokémon with evolution families. Also, Pokémon who don't evolve are excluded from the Little Cup tier, a tier in which contains Pokémon that have not yet evolved. Now, don't get me wrong. All Pokémon have a niche in the metagame, no matter how big or small. For example, I am currently running a moxie Mightyena as a sweeper on my OU team (It is working fantastically).

Current players are getting frustrated in today's metagame (especially in OU) because they keep coming across the same Pokémon. The reason why these Pokémon are so common is because they are easy to win with. This tier will give players the chance to create strategies with Pokémon that wouldn't even be used in NU. As for the size of the tier; it will contain 56 Pokémon. These Pokémon are as follows:

Farfetch'd
    Kangaskhan
    Pinsir
    Tauros
    Lapras
    Ditto
    Aerodactyl
    Unown
    Girafarig
    Dunsparce
    Qwilfish
    Shuckle
    Heracross
    Corsola
    Delibird
    Skarmory
    Stantler
    Smeargle
    Miltank
    Mawile
    Plulse
    Minun
    Volbeat
    Illuminse
    Torkoal
    Spinda
    Zangoose
    Seviper
    Lunatone
    Solrock
    Castform
    Kecleon
    Tropius
    Absol
    Relicanth
    Luvdisc
    Pachirisu
    Chatot
    Spiritomb
    Carnivine
    Rotom (And all of its forms)
    Audino
    Throh
    Sawk
    Basculin
    Maractus
    Sigilyph
    Emogla
    Alomomola
    Cryogonal
    Stunfisk
    Druddigon
    Bouffalant
    Durant
    Heatmor

Like any other tier, this will change through generations as new Pokémon will come in and previous ones will gain an evolution family.

Well, that is my idea. I hope you all like it and hopefully in the distant future, this could be put into affect. Criticism is appreciated but hey, we are all humans here so nothing vulgar or rude. :) Before I go, I have a few other points.
    • The same clauses and rules that pertain to the OU metagame will effect this Tier
    • This tier shall be abbreviated to NE (No Evolution)
    • Yes I realize that Skarmory will be a big pain but there is a plethora of electric types in the tier.
    • There are only two rapid spinners: Torkoal and Cryogonal. However there are a lot of taunt users available.
    • Scrappy Kangaskan is a viable way to check Spiritomb and Sableye.
    • Pokémon can exist in the NE tier as well as the standard metagame tiers (NU, RU, UU, OU, etc.)
    • No legendary Pokémon can exist in this tier, regardless of Standard Tier Placement.
  2. Lady Salamence

Lady Salamence
    is a Smogon Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Message http://www.smogon.com/forums/members/arcticblast.27554/ for permission to post in the Other Metagames forum. If it generates an absurdly high amount of traffic and interest for an extensive period of time, then it may be considered. Otherwise, don't get your hopes up.
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  3. Arcticblast

Arcticblast LOL STAFF FAG
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a SPL Winner
    Mentor

Despite this being in the Suggestion Box instead of Other Metagames currently, I think I'll approve this, and we'll see how it goes.

EDIT: This in OM, thanks chaos!
  4. BlankZero

BlankZero

• No legendary Pokémon can exist in this tier, regardless of Standard Tier Placement.
    This one is a bit weird considering you mention Spiritomb in the rules.

Also, Sableye runs through Kanghaskan by Burning it with Priority WoW, then recovering off any damage it actually does deal.
  5. Arcticblast

Arcticblast LOL STAFF FAG
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a SPL Winner
    Mentor

Spiritomb isn't a legendary Pokemon...
  6. BlankZero

BlankZero

Still don't understand the no-legendary thing.
  7. juleocesar

juleocesar

I think I got it. It's because Legendaries are generally as good as evolutionary lines, and that will ''break'' what's the metagame is supposed to be, which is having fun with only pokemon that can't evolve, which generally have worse stats than the other pokemons.
  8. extra

extra

played this with a couple of other people. even if you ban things like skarm / heracross / rotom-w, the best pokemon are all basically used in ru anyway so you don't get much variety.
  9. SpartanMalice

SpartanMalice

Rotom's formes have good stats too and are almost in the same tier or in a higher tier than most legendaries. At the very least I think legendaries like Entei, Moltres, Articuno etc should be allowed, IMO.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)