1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

A Newbie's Paradise Team

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Skarm™, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Skarm™

Skarm™

Well, as the title states, I'm a newbie, so expect lots of flaws. I spent like a month or two with this team, also on another thread here, but it's taking a fresh start again. Being a newbie, I've only gotten to 1575 on PS, but I might be able to get a little higher. Here's the team:​

[​IMG]
    Terrakion (M) @ Salac Berry
    Trait: Justified
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SAtk)
    - Substitute
    - Stone Edge
    - Swords Dance
    - Close Combat​

Breloom used to occupy this spot, but things got complicated. It simply isn't fast enough to do it's thing. So I tried a ShellPass Smeargle, but it's also a hit or miss, especially with those Rocks and other entry hazards and priority moves. And I don't have the room for a spinner, so I decided to use Terrakion. It's a dedicated Pokemon, is super-annoying for the opponent, and works for me. It covers my fighting type move abscence, and it just does a great job sweeping and doing it's thing. It also has a chance to get a Sub in and set up with Swords Dance so it can do an even greater job of sweeping, especially those annoying Skarmories. After one Swords Dance, Close Combat OHKO's them.​

[​IMG]
    Rotom-W @ Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 224 HP / 32 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
    - Volt Switch
    - Hydro Pump
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Pain Split​

Ah yes, the infamous Rotom-W. It's no mystery why, its awesome. Bulky Set, with Volt Switch for a VoltTurn combo. Um, there's not much to say about Rotom-W. It makes a great VoltTurn combo I guess. It can handle a wide variety of threats, and not many teams carry a grass attacking move, so it's usually safe where it is. Also, the 32 SpAtk EV's are for that Volt Switch or Hydro Pump that you know couldn't have killed the opponent's Pokemon with out 'em.​

[​IMG]
    Landorus (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpAtk / 252 Spe
    Naive Nature (+Spe, -SDef)
    - Earthquake
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - U-Turn
    - Stone Edge​

Landorus is here for one reason and one reason only. Ok, maybe two. One is to try and sweep as devastatingly as possible, and two is to continue my VoltTurn combo with Rotom-W and Jirachi. Pretty simple if you think about it. ​

[​IMG]
    Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Serene Grace
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Iron Head
    - Fire Punch
    - Ice Punch
    - U-turn​

Yes, Jirachi looks weird, and I'm wondering why I even put these moves, lol. The punches are for those annoying Dragons like Latios and Dragonite that have Fire moves that can threaten Jirachi. So I jsut outspeed them with my Scarf and hit them with an Ice Punch. It completes my VoltTurn combo and actually became the star of my team, mainly because it gets so much coverage.​

[​IMG]
    Heatran (M) @ Shed Shell
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 SDef / 8 Spd
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Lava Plume
    - Stealth Rock
    - Protect
    - Toxic​

Heatran is here to take Outrages that the rest of the team can't take, and to try and to do other stuff. It can set up SR, and take fire attacks and tank Outrages, plus stall with Toxic/Protect. What more could you need?​

[​IMG]
    Latias (M) @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Calm Mind
    - Substitute
    - Roost
    - Dragon Pulse​

Latias is amazing. Pure awesomeness. It can set up with Calm Mind and Substitute, then proceed to sweep like a boss! Even thougb it has inferior SpAtk compared to it's brother, it can tank hits way better!​

Well there's my team! Here's an exportable version if you wish to test it out:​

HTML:
    Terrakion @ Salac Berry
    Trait: Justified
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    - Substitute
    - Stone Edge
    - Swords Dance
    - Close Combat

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
    EVs: 224 HP / 32 SAtk / 252 Spd
    - Volt Switch
    - Hydro Pump
    - Pain Split
    - Will-O-Wisp

Landorus (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Sand Force
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - U-turn

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Serene Grace
    - Iron Head
    - Fire Punch
    - Ice Punch
    - U-turn

Heatran (M) @ Shed Shell
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 SDef / 8 Spd
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Lava Plume
    - Stealth Rock
    - Protect
    - Toxic

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
    - Calm Mind
    - Roost
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Substitute
  2. Crackstar

Crackstar

Hey, this is a very nice team you've built. All of your Pokemon mesh well, and you have at least checks, if not counters, for a lot of common OU threats. I can think of a few tweaks to your current mons that will give the team a different feel that's more suited to the current meta. Starting from the top, Terrakion looks good to me. SubSalac is very effective, I prefer DoubleDance with a Rock Gem, but if this is what works for you, go with it. All I would say is move the 4 Hp Evs into Special Defense, as to force Genesect into picking up an Attack boost instead of a more dangerous Special Attack boost. Rotom-W is good: he checks many weak Water types and is probable the second best counter to Torn-T, the other of which you have, Jirachi. However, Jirachi is your Scarfer, so Rotom needs more bulk to take on threats. Try using a set of:

[​IMG] @ Chesto Berry
    Trait: Levitate Evs: 248 Hp / 32 SpA / 228 SpD Nature: Calm
    Hydro Pump | Volt Switch | Rest | Will-O-Wisp

This is a very good bulky Rotom set that tanks hits well while still dealing good damage. ChestoRest vs. Pain Split is personal preference, I like the surprise factor and the consistency of Rest, but I digress. Next off is Landorus-I. While his Scarf set is good, it's really best in Sand, and you already have Jirachi to use a scarf for you. To improve your sweeping potential, change his set to a Sheer Force sweeper. Looks like this:

[​IMG] @ Life Orb
    Trait: Sheer Force Evs: 68 Hp / 252 SpA / 188 Spe Nature: Modest
    Rock Polish | Earth Power | Focus Blast | Hidden Power [Ice]

This may be the sole best sweeper in the meta today. The Evs outspeed Timid Venesaur, max SpA to blast things, and the rest dumped in Hp to improve his okay bulk. Looking at Tran and Jirachi, they look okay, but I would change Toxic on Heatran to Roar. Seeing as how Tran is your number one check to Genesect, Volcarana, and sun sweepers, he needs the phazing to avoid getting into a situation where say a Volcarana keeps hitting you to wear you down, opening a Gene sweep. After this, all I would alter is your Latias spread. Calm Mind is weak to Genesect, among others, and has trouble checking Keldeo, which your team needs badly. Try a Life Orb Tank Latias:

[​IMG] @ Life Orb
    Trait: Levitate Evs: 72 Hp / 184 SpA / 252 Spe Nature: Timid
    Draco Meteor | Psyshock | Hidden Power [Fire] | Recover

This is a good check to things Latias is obligated to check (Keldeo, etc.) while being fast and dealing damage right away. Try these changes and I think you'll have an even better team. Good luck!
  3. Skarm™

Skarm™

Thanks so much for the detailed rate! And despite the fact that I've been told this team should be in the 1700-1800's, I think it's my strategy that I suck in. Ill try out all of these, except for Latias. The calm mind set I have ATM is actually working just fine. If Genesect is on the opposing team, I'll make sure so have it KO'ed by Jirachi before I attempt to set up. Again, thanks for the rate!

EDIT: Sorry, but those sets don't really work for me, I guess they're just not my style. Rotom doesn't get that free health while costing opponents, and Landy doesn't get that U-Turn combo with Jirachi. I'm sorry.
  4. undisputed

undisputed
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis Smogon Frontier's Frontier Lackeyis a Past WCoP Winner

Hey!

Not a bad team for labeling yourself a "newbie," haha. You definitely understand the basics for Pokemon, and with some practice, you'll definitely get better. Not only will game play become easier, but team building will become more fluid and natural. On the subject of your team, I think you can make a couple set changes that will give you a lot more success.

First off, Rotom-W should definitely be a Specially defensive variant. Specially Defensive Rotom-W almost checks Rain teams by itself. Oftentimes, the only switch they have is Ferrothorn, but that can be burned. Then it's just a matter of wearing down Ferrothorn, and the other team is going to be pressed to KO Rotom-W. The Specially Defensive set also plays a huge role in countering Tornadus-t. Hurricane Spam is, in my opinion, the biggest threat in the metagame. Rotom-W, barring some ridiculous hax, is a great counter. Volt Switch also allows you to keep offensive momentum. I'd recommend Leftovers as your item simply because it's a lot better than Chesto Berry. Rotom-W usually hard counters Pokemon like Politoed, and with Leftovers, you get a lot of passive recovery via switches.

Next, I think Genesect would be a much better Scarf user for your team. Jirachi is pretty weak all things considered. It relies on Super Effective moves to KO anything, but otherwise you'll lose a lot of 1 v. 1's you wouldn't lose with Genesect. Jirachi would be a solid replacement if Genesect gets banned in the upcoming test, but currently, I think you're only limiting yourself by not using Scarf Gensect.

After that, change Landorus to Rock Polish. The Modest spread is bad; Timid with 252 Speed is so much better. Landorus' counters are usually "hard counters," meaning that even with a Modest Nature, you're still going to get walled or revenged by Latias, Gengar, etc. I do a lot more sweeping without a Rock Polish (mainly because I can never find the time to do so), so 252 Spe Timid is my big recommendation there.

On Heatran, I think you should go with Earth Power and Hidden Power Ice instead of Toxic and Protect. You can't really Toxic stall without Leftovers, so there's no reason to use Toxic and Protect. Lava Plume, Earth Power, and Hidden Power Ice gives you some solid type coverage. As a countering and Stealth Rock utility, Heatran should attack only a couple times and act as a pivot for the rest of your team to open holes.

Finally, I think you should use Life Orb Latias. Use 72 Hp / 184 SpA / 252 Spe as your EV spread. For moves, use Surf / Psyshock / Draco Meteor. I don't think HP Fire is necessary because you have Terrakion and Heatran on your team already. Ferrothorn shouldn't be setting up unless you continually allow it to switch into Latias. Scizor can't switch into Surf more than once, and Heatran is about as good a Scizor check as it gets. If Latias continually gets set up on, make a double switch or try to sweep part of the opposing team with Landorus or Terrakion.

Whew, seems like a lot of changes, but in reality it's not. You've got a solid outline already. Good job, and keep working hard.

Good luck!

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)