A Pokemon Riddle

dekzeh

B is for BRUTUS
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Celebi and Gengar get it, not sure on the others...
But I don't think Obi would make all this thing is the move was metronome, there's probably something we are not being able to see >_>

Did anyone read my comments on the Sniper Kingdra thing?

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
But Mewtwo outsped it...

Unless Mewtwo had Scarf to outspeed Deoxys. Which is possible, but highly doubtful imo.
He rested on the switch.

But still, the last scenario doesn't help pinpoint a single one. :(

dekzeh

B is for BRUTUS
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
I don't think it's Primeape simply because then the turn 1 would be useless and I don't think there's anything 'useless' on this challenge.

Edit: Gengar does learn Metronome from Move Tutor. You're probably checking on Serebii which doesn't show Move Tutor moves so yeah. Just check on Netbattle or something and you'll see it gets Metronome.

Following Hidden Power Dark from Mewtwo, it has to be:

azelf starmie lugia latias latios froslass gengar espeon latios mismagius mew celebi uxie jynx mrmime deoxys-d

dekzeh

B is for BRUTUS
We should cut those who actually gets OHKO'd by HP Dark (it obviously can't be stuff like Lugia).

Quite a number of those learn Grass Knot as well.

Starmie, Azelf, Espeon, Jynx, Mr. Mime are the possible OHKOs, if I'm not mistaken.

Mewtwo could be holding Specs for all we know.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Barkers is Kadabra and it is using Grass knot, but it must be holding Life Orb.

Just to specify, it can do around 40% to Raikou, so with the CH it kills. It is slower than Raikou and faster than Pikachu. It's choice specs grass knot's minimum damage does less than 25% to Pikachu's sub, so it will not break it, and it is slower than mewtwo and ohkod by HP Dark, and Mewtwo has to be Docile for it to be a valid all 31 IV Pokemon :D Have a nice day ;)

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
No, none of those are OHKO'd. However, I suspect that Abra, Kadabra and Haunter may be OHKO'd and they fit into the correct speed tier.

Also, on MoP's logic that it would have to say "The attack missed" (and he's completely right), shouldn't it also have to say "Barkers went to sleep and regained his health?" It doesn't tell us that Rest was successful...probably just clutching at straws here though, I just can't think of anything that meets the criteria and is OHKO'd by a HP Dark from around 344ish SpA.

No, none of those are OHKO'd. However, I suspect that Abra, Kadabra and Haunter may be OHKO'd and they fit into the correct speed tier.

Also, on MoP's logic that it would have to say "The attack missed" (and he's completely right), shouldn't it also have to say "Barkers went to sleep and regained his health?" It doesn't tell us that Rest was successful...probably just clutching at straws here though, I just can't think of anything that meets the criteria and is OHKO'd by a HP Dark from around 344ish SpA.
I think the point of rest was to show that it's OHKOed by a HP dark. Rest will always show that Barkers has full HP. It might have full hp when it used rest.

There are 2 Pokes which fit the criteria FOR THE FIRST CHALLENGE. One is Kadabra using Grass Knot with Specs (As shown by Aldaron), the other is Primeape using Overheat, with Specs.

If Primeape does around slightly average damage on it's 2 overheats, Raikou would be Koed. However, once it reaches -6, it's overheat has a possibility of doing 24% to Pikachu.

It however, will not fit the ADDITIONAL CHALLENGE, which is OHKOed by HP Dark, and is weak against Dark.

What move is Barkers using ("something" is the same move each time)?
It could be Overheat, It could be Low Kick, It could be Grass Knot.
I've a feeling you screwed up the question Obi.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
The only way Life Orb Kadabra is wrong is if that lack of a rest message means something...is there any case where rest will not display a relevant message afterwards?

Insomnia maybe? However, all Insomnia Pokémon are too slow.
Don't know abut Worry Seed, but since it hasn't been mentioned in the riddle I may as well exclude it.

The only way Life Orb Kadabra is wrong is if that lack of a rest message means something...is there any case where rest will not display a relevant message afterwards?
if it had insomnia, it still says "whatever stayed awake using its Insomnia!" or something to that effect. I don't think it means anything in particular, unless insomnia pokemon using rest in d/p doesn't give any message (got a rest insomnia shuppet in adv challenge cup .__.)

Assuming some kind of sense to the situation, choice specs starmie is also a possibility.

Salamence naturally switches out from starmie fearing ice beam and raikou comes in attempting to CM up on it. Grass knot from specs starmie does 34-40% so 1 hit and 1 crit kills raikou.

Pikachu comes in and starmie continues to grass knot instead of switching moves due to specs, doing 22-25%, taking 2 hits to break the sub.

Finally mewtwo can OHKO starmie with specs HP dark doing 98-115%. Natural cure rest is I suppose a viable option on starmie if that counts for anything lol.

But seriously, the actual question was only what move is being used and not what pokemon barkers is. The only moves that even have some possibility of matching the scenario are grass knot, low kick, overheat, psycho boost, leaf storm and draco meteor.

There aren't any pokemon with low kick that are weak to dark.

The only pokemon with overheat that's weak to dark is solrock but it's not the right speed.

The only pokemon that can use psycho boost is deoxys which isn't the right speed. I think lugia can as well (not sure) but either way it isn't being OHKOed by HP dark.

The only pokemon that learn leaf storm and are weak to dark are celebi and exeggutor. Celebi isn't being OHKOed by HP dark and exeggutor isn't the right speed.

Finally, the only users of draco meteor that are weak to dark are giratina and the lati twins, none of which can be OHKOed by HP dark.

So basically it only leaves grass knot no matter what pokemon barkers is. Unless we're missing a move that can 3HKO raikou and at the same time can't break pikachu's sub.

But in the first (and actual) question, it doesn't say that Barkers is weak to Dark, leaving us with a lot more possibilities such as the aforementioned Overheat Primeape.

But in the first (and actual) question, it doesn't say that Barkers is weak to Dark, leaving us with a lot more possibilities such as the aforementioned Overheat Primeape.
That's irrelevant because both parts are the same scenario where barkers is the same pokemon. The second part was added to help determine what pokemon barkers actually is but it doesn't mean I can't use that information to work out what move barkers is using. There's nothing that says I have to restrict myself to the first part of the scenario to work out the move it's using.

I'll start with a simple scenario. In this problem, assume all IVs are 31, all natures are neutral, and all EVs are 0. "Barkers" is an unknown Pokemon.

Begin turn 1.
Salamence's Intimidate cut Barkers's Attack.
Trainer withdrew Salamence and sent out Raikou.
Barkers used something.

Begin turn 2.
Raikou used Calm Mind.
Barkers used something. A critical hit. Raikou fainted.
Trainer sent out Pikachu.

Begin turn 3.
Barkers used something.
Pikachu used Substitute.

Begin turn 4.
Barkers used something.
Pikachu used Rain Dance.

Begin turn 5.
Barkers used something. Pikachu's Substitute faded.

The question is: What move is Barkers using ("something" is the same move each time)? As an added challenge, Barkers can be one of two Pokemon. From the following scenario, which one is it?

Begin turn 23.
Player switched in Barkers.
Trainer switched in Pikachu.
Rain continues to fall.

Begin turn 24.
Trainer switched in Mewtwo.
Barkers used Rest.
Rain continues to fall.

Begin turn 25.
Mewtwo used Hidden Power. It's super effective! Barkers fainted.
The rain stopped.

Note: I somewhat gave away the answer on Shoddy, so if I was talking to you on Shoddy earlier, don't give away the answer.
Does specs Primeape -6 spa 2ko a sub if the final one is in the rain? I think people have missed that all together....

As for the second one, Make a list of everything weak to dark that has a speed between Raikou's and Pikachus; and we've narrowed down the list. btw Starmie dosen't really work unless Raikou won the toss.

As for the second one, Make a list of everything weak to dark that has a speed between Raikou's and Pikachus; and we've narrowed down the list
Done already.

Primeapes -6 spa does 24% to Pika before rain dance, and that's absolute mininum damage. Seeing as the rain dance only appears after the first overheat, that is no longer relevant, unless the overheat can't do 1%.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I believe the pokemon in question (Since you said it could be one of two) are Deoxys Normal form and Deoxys Attack form.

The move being used in the first example is Grass Knot. Grass Knot from either Deoxys 3HKOs Raikou. Since Raikou took the first hit coming in, the second killed it because of the critical. It also 4HKOs Pikachu.

Grass Knot from Deoxys normal does 31.78- 37.69% to 31 IV/ 0 EV Raikou

Grass knot from Deoxys Attack does 37.03- 43.93% to same Raikou, a 3HKO for both.

Grass Knot from Normal Deoxys on a 31 IV/ 0 EV Pikachu: 19.91- 23.7%; No sub breaking here...

Grass Knot from Attack Deoxys: 23.7- 27.96%; Still fails to break a sub assuming minimal damage.

Both forms learn Rest, even though no one uses it, and both get OHKOed by Mewtwo's HP Dark 70.

However, this is only the answer if Raikou is carrying a scarf to outspeed to do a CM, otherwise I'm wrong.
You seem close but I would say an Espeon using Grass Knot as it still wouldn't break the sub of Pikachu and it falls inside the right speed bracket. That or a Lati as Salamence ran.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)