A Pokemon Riddle

If a Pokemon uses Rest at full HP, here are the on-screen messages:

<POKEMON> used Rest!
<POKEMON>'s HP is full!

Trust me, I was searching for the answer and stumbled onto a YouTube video of a Wi-Fi Battle showing this--this video, actually.

Isn't there a message for everytime you can't sleep. For example, wouldn't Insomnia and friends say "can't sleep due to insomnia" ?

I assumed that the Rest portion was only to show that Mewtwo had to OHKO said pokemon. Under that guise, Celebi and Primeape both work. If Rest wasn't used, Lucario, Espeon, Latios, and Shaymin would also work, as I said in my first post.

I think some of you guys are reading too much into this. The fact that no message came up after using rest means nothing. Obi basically put only the stuff that was absolutely necessary and left out all the rest of the details. By the same logic you guys are using, I could say that somehow raikou used CM and it failed to raise its stats because it doesn't say its spatk and spdef were raised afterwards.

However I think this riddle is a bit ambiguous to have a definite answer. Some things really need to be clarified. For instance, are there items involved? Do we assume logical movesets (e.g. can we assume mewtwo wouldn't use HP psychic if it can use psychic)? Can we assume competent moves by both players (i.e. is it logical to assume salamence switched out for a reason etc.)?

Obi's clarification that it doesn't have to be HP dark really doesn't help because at least knowing it was HP dark narrowed down the pool of possible pokemon. Now I think we've all established that there are a LOT of pokemon that can use grass knot, low kick, overheat class moves that fit the requirements.

^I didn't say that the Pokemon has to have insomnia. If the answer isn't Primeape, the only other really option is Grass Knot Hypno maybe. The Pokemon my very well not have Insomniac or Vital Spirit. Just saying insomnia ignores the "Soandso felll asleep" thing.

But you are right that the lack of sleep could be nothing. I saw that someone recomended Starmie for the reason that Mence fless from it. But mence could just be there to set-up Intimadate and run. For all we know, mightyenna would've had the same effect.

The lack of a message obviously means nothing. There should have been a message when "something" hit Pikachu's Substitute, and there should have been a message when Pikachu made a Substitute.

Also, Mewtwo's Hidden Power is affected by Rain. That could very well be important.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
OK, my answer for the first part was either Shaymin or Celebi using Grass Knot (no other Pokemon could do the proper damage with the proper Speed without activating a message). I had forgotten to take into account Low Kick somehow (now I feel dumb!). So, bonus points go to those of you who figured out that Primeape would also work. I'm somewhat disappointed that no one considered expanding the pool of usable Pokemon by giving Pikachu a Macho Brace and Raikou a Choice Scarf, as that would completely remove the Speed restriction. I'm somewhat glad no one did, because I suspect that there would be more Pokemon that fit the solution.

Next time I guess I'll post every part of the message. Using Rest was just supposed to indicate that the Pokemon as at full health. No matter what you get a message when you use Rest, so I assumed that wouldn't be a big issue. I guess that's what I get for assuming (and writing the riddle when I'm pretty sleepy...). Expect another soon, and this time I guess I'll be a bit more thorough in my message writing. And this time, I'll consider each case a bit more carefully so I can guarantee that there is only one correct answer (or at least by 99.6% sure).

The "Rain continues to fall" message was put in there so you'd know that there wasn't sunlight (as Specs Sunny HP Fire could do a real number on Shaymin).

The Rest issue didn't even matter here, quite frankly, because Mewtwo can't OHKO Lucario with any Hidden Power. Primeape, as you saw, can be OHKOed by Hidden Power [Psychic], however.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)