A Refreshing New Non-Standard Counter To Revenankh

Status
Not open for further replies.

tennisace

cardiac cats
is a member of the Site Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Smogon Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Administrator
#1
Ok. With everybody whining about how Revenankh has few counters, and they dont even cover every set, I set out to find one. I tried a Bulky Zapdos, A SpecsKiss, a CBRaptor, until I was about to try a Haze Crobat. I then remembered that Dragonite got Haze too, and had above average defenses and an amazing attack stat to boot! So without further ado, here's my set:



Dragonite (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 HP/16 Atk/128 Def/112 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Haze
- Fire Punch/Earthquake/Thunder Punch
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage

First, let me explain the EVs. The HP and defense allows this to switch into Shadow Sneaks after two Bulk Ups, take two, Haze, then DD. The 12 Evs gives this 224 speed, which out-speeds BulkyGyara by a point and take it down with Thunder Punch. As an added bonus this outspeeds Salamence and Garchomp after a DD.
The rest is put into Attack, giving this 339 Attack BEFORE a DD.

The strategy when using this is you switch into Revenankh before it gets too many Bulk Ups. Haze while not taking much damage, then DD and 2HKO-3HKO with Outrage before it can do much back. If it uses Bulk Up in the meantime, Haze again.

Now for the calcs, assuming normal Bulk Up variant:

Revenankh Shadow Sneak +2 Attack to Dragonite:
Damage: 21.76% - 25.65%

Revenankh Shadow Sneak +1 Attack to Dragonite:
Damage: 16.58% - 19.43%

Revenankh Shadow Sneak to Dragonite:
Damage: 11.14% - 13.21%

Revenankh +2 Ice Punch to Dragonite (Worst Case Senario, you predict wrong):
Damage: 107.51% - 126.68%
In order for it to survive this, you would need to take all attack EVs and some speed off, which isn't worth it.

Revenankh +1 Ice Punch to Dragonite:
Damage: 81.09% - 95.34%

Revenankh Ice Punch to Dragonite:
Damage: 54.66% - 64.25%

Now the other way around:
Dragonite +1 Outrage to +1 Defense Revenankh (Same as 0 Attack/0 Defense):
Damage: 44.53% - 52.34%
2KHO-3HKO

Dragonite +1 Outrage to Revenankh:
Damage: 66.41% - 78.13%
Solid 2HKO

Dragonite +2 Outrage to Revenankh:
Damage: 88.28% - 103.91%
A nice chance for an OHKO

In conclusion, the main advantage to this set is its value after killing its main target. With the one DD up, you can easily DD again on a switch, or just start sweeping with that massive attack stat. The main advantage over Weezing is that this is not weak to EQ with the many Pinsir and Rampardos running around these days. I know because I use one myself to take care of Weezing and Bronzong, another one who somewhat walls Revenankh. You should run this set with a Heatran to prevent Ice Punch from ruining you, because all Revenankh who run Ice Punch run LO, and are therefore weaker defensively and will take damage from all the switching between the two. A good predicter should be able to use this successfully. As for the EVs, taking the 20 out of Attack and placing them in defense amounts to a few percent either way, and won't prevent the OHKO from Ice Punch. I hope everyone likes this, because Dragonite needs more fans. Thanks for reading!

Edit: Thanks Dane for the help with Outrage>AA
Edit2: Realized that I inputted the stuff wrong =/ Changed the calcs. Also changed the EVs to out-speed BulkyGyara after one DD.
 

Mekkah

is a Super Moderatoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Live Chat Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Super Moderator
#2
I think a set that tries to have a long term shot at Revenankh begs for Roost, to be honest. But seeing as there's little room for that...

What might be an improvement is Roar over Haze, which forces Revenankh out, deals Stealth Rock damage, allows you to maintain your Dragon Dances when you use it and allows you to phaze Skarmory before it does the same to you.
 

tennisace

cardiac cats
is a member of the Site Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Smogon Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Administrator
#4
@ Mekkah, I can see your point but the problem with Roar is that it could bring in something quite dangerous, such as Garchomp, I switch out, it SDs and gg. I had roost on there, but Dragonite couldn't do anything back to it. Hence the set.

@ Dane, Thanks for the compliment and warning =P
 
#5
Problem I see is that if they bring in an "Outrage" counter, Dragonite can't do crap to it. By this I'm talking about the likes of Magnezone, Skarmory, Metagross, etc. Not really any way to fix that though without getting rid of another attack.

Hmm, if you used Outrage or Dragon Rush (lolz 75 accuracy, but flinch chance) in place of Dragon Claw, then it would do the same amount of damage to Revenankh as Aerial Ace or Wing Attack. This would then free up a slot for Fire Punch.
 

tennisace

cardiac cats
is a member of the Site Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Smogon Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Administrator
#6
Dragon Rush has shaky accuracy, but Outrage could work. Ill try it and post calcs.

edit: Holy Crap, Outrage is better.
+1 Attack Outrage: Damage: 99.07% - 116.51%

Edit2: realized i screwed up the calcs
 
#7
Well thar you go. =P

By the time you would Outrage, they would've switched or killed you anyway. Either the second Ice Punch (if you stayed in knowing it did 53%+ damage you deserve to lose your knight), while you dragon danced, or they switched while you dragon danced. At this point, you pick accordingly.

That last slot could either be Fire Punch (most steels) or Earthquake (other steels + Heatran).
 
#10
You know Weezing is not weak to Earthquake at all, right? LEVITATE!

Other than that, this looks as though it could work often.
Really? My Pinsir KOs Weezing, Gengar, and Bronzong with EQ quite often.

Also as long as we're talking about possible counters to Revenankh, how about Haze Milotic? With the right spread, I bet it could work, but I can't seem to think straight right now, so I'm not sure.
 
#11
You should run this set with a Heatran to prevent Ice Punch from ruining you, because all Revenankh who run Ice Punch run LO, and are therefore weaker defensively and will take damage from all the switching between the two.
This isn't necessarily true. I run mine nearly exactly the same as the standard bulk up set (slight change in EVs), but replace Hammer Arm with Ice Punch. Most of what he wants to hit he'll attack with Shadow Sneak anyway, so it doesn't matter much in terms of the second attack.

Really? My Pinsir KOs Weezing, Gengar, and Bronzong with EQ quite often.
That's because Mold Breaker removes Levitate's ability to prevent Earthquakes.

Also as long as we're talking about possible counters to Revenankh, how about Haze Milotic? With the right spread, I bet it could work, but I can't seem to think straight right now, so I'm not sure.
Anything with Haze that isn't hit SE by Ghost and Fighting can theoretically counter it, but to do so effectively they need to hit back pretty hard. Milotic can't do that, if I recall correctly.
 
#12
When I said that, i meant as the general rule. I know Pinsir has Mold Breaker, but it and Rampardos are both relatively rare in OU and so that really shouldn't be used as a selling point.
 
#13
When I said that, i meant as the general rule. I know Pinsir has Mold Breaker, but it and Rampardos are both relatively rare in OU and so that really shouldn't be used as a selling point.
I realize this, but I believe the exact sentece that you got that from was, "The main advantage over Weezing is that this is not weak to EQ with the many Pinsir and Rampardos running around these days. I know because I use one myself to take care of Weezing and Bronzong, another one who somewhat walls Revenankh," which is why I made the Pinsir comment.
 

tennisace

cardiac cats
is a member of the Site Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Smogon Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Administrator
#14
This isn't necessarily true. I run mine nearly exactly the same as the standard bulk up set (slight change in EVs), but replace Hammer Arm with Ice Punch. Most of what he wants to hit he'll attack with Shadow Sneak anyway, so it doesn't matter much in terms of the second attack.
Thats an odd replacement if you ask me, because Heatran can come in and hurt with STAB Fire Blast. But I digress, thanks for the feedback everyone!
 
#16
I do not know if for some reason my logic is wrong, but

Dragonite +2 Outrage to Revenankh:
Damage: 88.28% - 103.91%
About a 50% chance of OHKO

3.91 / 15.36 = almost exactly 25%, so I am guessing that it is about a 25% chance of a OHKO, not about a 50%
 
Status
Not open for further replies.