A Renaissance RMT

A RENAISSANCE RMT

INTRODUCTION
Well, my name' s Landon and this is my first RMT. I play competitively since 2009. The first thing you might notice about my team is that I try not to use the smogon' s standards sets (even if I have that haxorus, for example) , neither the REALLY overused pokes like ferrothorn, scizor, terrakion... (although I'm playing in OU). All I want is a consistent, yet unpredictable team. I changed it a lot of times and these are the choices that gave me most succes. Every suggestion is very welcome :nerd: Enjoy this Renaissance RMT.

The Butler

Metagross @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Trick
- Stealth Rock
- ThunderPunch

Metagross is the one who will always welcome you. Nobody expects a trick scarf metagross. With a jolly nature he reaches 393 Speed, which is enough to outspeed everything up to +Spd Jolteon. Normally I use trick on the first turn (It's always fun to see a scarfed ferrothorn), unless I know I can OHKO the opponent right off the bat (for example Infernapes, Ninetales, Most non-balloon Heatrans, 2OHKO most politoeds...). Earthquake has better coverage than Metagross' stabs moves such as Zen Headbutt, meteor mash or bullet, and a SE Tquake will deal more damage than any of them. ThunderPunch is for flying and water pokes, altough most defensive pokes won't get OHKoed by it. If I used trick and crippled the opponent I'll set stealth rock, otherwise, I'll probably switch, specially the opponent switches to a Metagross threat after being Knocked out.

The Lord

Alakazam @ Choice Specs
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Trick
- Hidden Power [Ice]

I can ensure that his moustache shows his wealth. Also, those glasses are very cool, he seduces every chick in the neighbourhood. Really, Specsed Alakazam is really underrated. 553 SAtk and 372 is very sweet. He acts more as a sweeper than as a revenge killer. The moveset is self-explanatory. Psyshock gets STAB and hits specially defensive pokes very hard (66-78% to specially defensive Politoed, 2HKO Blissey, who won't do much to me and users always forget of magic guard so they just Toxic me) and OHKO most SE hits (specially on those fighting pokes everywhere). Shadow ball is for coverage and hit other psychics. Trick is one of my last resources, I use if I think I'm lost (specially on Scarftys who can easily set on Alakzam). I also prefer HP Ice over focus blast. I really prefer accuracy over power, also, only Donphan has an Ice move for Dragonites and Salamences.

Le Dauphin

Tornadus @ Petaya Berry
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Air Slash
- Dark Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fire]

For those who don't know, Le Dauphin in French is the King's son who is supposed to be the follower of the throne, however he is too young. So this is my Tornadus, this prankster boy who loves playing with dolls and eating berries in the garden. With Prankster he can always put a substitute. His moveset is also self explanatory. Air Slash is STAB and has this nice 30% flinch chance, it' s my preferred move on anything that doesn' t resist it, even without the Petaya Berry boost it deals decent damage and mostly 2HKO anything that doesn' t resist it. Dark Pulse and HP fire are for coverage. Since I can outspeed most steel types, and they can be some problem to this set I chose HP Fire (previously I had fighting, but I found fire to be better). Dark pulse is mainly for psychics who are getting more common nowadays. After the boost Tornadus is hard to counter, unless he is statused, outspeeded or isn' t behind sub and is hit by a priority (since it will be at 25% hp)

The Royal Guard

Donphan @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Seed Bomb
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake

Donphan the Royal guard. This set is also self explanatory. I prefer an offensive rapid spinner rather than a defensive one and Dophan fulfills this very well. Actually, I do, since this is an offensive team and after he has done his job he can still sweep. These moves give me great coverage. Earthquake is the preferred move, mainly due to stab. I only use Ice shard for the priority on weaken poke and the dragons, if it isn' t a 4xSE and don't need the priority, I use earthquake. Seed bomb if for those water pokes who think that can outmatch (does this word exist? I'm brazilian) me, also for other ground or rock pokes. Not much to say. With sturdy and leftovers I can rapid spin most of the time and even knock out some poke. After taking stealth rock damage he heals itself to 100% again, thus activating sturdy.

Erasmus

Slowbro @ Lum Berry
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk
Modest Nature
- Yawn
- Scald
- Flamethrower
- Slack Off

Erasmus was a humanist, indeed he liked to be called the prince of humanists. He was known for the Catholic Counter-Reformation and was a critical of the church, and that's what Slowbro does, he is here to finish with the church, or the pokes that are everywhere. This spot used to belong to porygon2 but Slowbro is way cooler, not only because he is a Slowpoke bitten by a shellder, but because he has regenerator. With his huge hp he can resist most moves aimed at him and check with yawn. If I can resist the aforementioned moves I'll try to ko the poke. Scald is stab and can also burn the opponent reducing his longevity in a stall war for example or crippling physical threats. If things gets nasty I slack off or simply switch. Lum berry is used because I have already enough ways of recovery and almost every single game it gets statused.

The Executioner

Haxorus @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Low Kick
- Dragon Claw
- Outrage

Altough he doesn't have Guillotine, he will rape your family, behead your sons and slay the innocents.My revenge killer is a beast with 432 Atk and 438 Spd. Not much can be said, most people don' t see his face long enough to describe him. However, I'll try. Earthquake with mold breaker hits every non-flying or balloon pokes and hits for some damage. Low kick is preferred over brick break, specially cause I'll only aim it to heavy pokes (for example, against ferrothotn it has 100 BP). Dragon claw and Outrage are for STAB. I mostly use outrage, however in near the end of the game Dragon Claw is preferred. A lot of families lost their beloved to these moves.

So that' s my OU team. I enjoy it a lot and I hope you also did as much as I do. As I said every suggestion is welcome!

Threats [TO BE ADDED SOON]
Standard OU Offensive Threats

Tyranitar:
  • Choice Band -
  • Choice Scarf -
  • Dragon Dance -
Rotom-W:
  • Choice Scarf / Specs -
  • Support -
Scizor:
  • Choice Band -
  • Swords Dance -
  • Bulky Swords Dance -
Dragonite:
  • Choice Band -
  • Dragon Dance -
  • Mixed -
  • Parashuffler -
  • Rain Abuse -
Politoed:
  • Choice Specs / Scarf -
  • 3 Attacks -
Heatran:
  • Standard -
Jirachi:
  • Substitute + Calm Mind / Wish + Calm Mind -
  • Expert Belt -
  • Choice Scarf -
Latios:
  • Life Orb / Expert Belt -
  • Choice Scarf / Specs -
  • Calm Mind -
Reuniclus:
  • Calm Mind -
  • Offensive Trick Room -
Haxorus:
  • Choice Scarf / Choice Band -
  • Dragon Dance -
  • Double Dance -
Ninetales:
  • Nasty Plot -
  • Choice Specs -
  • Special Attacker -
Conkeldurr:
  • Bulk Up -
  • Flame Orb + 3 Attacks -
Celebi:
  • Nasty Plot Sweeper -
  • Tinkerbell -
  • Choice Specs / Choice Scarf -
Terrakion:
  • Double Dance -
  • Substitute + Swords Dance -
Gyarados:
  • Offensive / Bulky Dragon Dance -
  • Choice Band / Choice Scarf -
Gengar:
  • Substitute + Disable / Pain Split -
Starmie:
  • Life Orb -
  • Rapid Spin -
  • Choice Specs -
Landorus:
  • Rock Polish / Swords Dance -
  • Choice Scarf -
  • Substitute + 3 Attacks -
Infernape:
  • Mixed Attacker -
  • Nasty Plot / Swords Dance Booster -
  • Choice Band -
Volcarona:
  • Offensive Quiver Dance -
  • Bulky Quiver Dance -
  • Chesto Rest -
  • Substitute -
Magnezone:
  • Substitute -
  • Choice Scarf / Choice Specs -
Espeon:
  • Calm Mind -
  • Bulky Sun Attacker / Passer -
Salamence:
  • Dragon Dance -
  • Mixed -
  • Defensive -
Hydreigon:
  • Offensive -
  • Choice Specs / Choice Scarf -
  • Substitute -
Breloom:
  • Bulk Up -
  • Sub Seed -
  • Sub Punch -
Latias:
  • Calm Mind -
  • Offensive Tank -
  • Choice Specs -
Toxicroak:
  • Swords Dance -
  • Bulk Up -
Lucario:
  • Swords Dance -
  • Nasty Plot -
Virizion:
  • Calm Mind -
  • Swords Dance -
  • Dual Screens -
Scrafty:
  • Dragon Dance -
  • Bulk Up -
Venusaur:
  • Special Growth -
  • Mixed Growth -
  • SubSeed -
Metagross:
  • Stealth Rock -
  • Agility -
Mienshao:
  • All-Out Attacker -
Cloyster:
  • Shell Smash -
  • Utility -
Mamoswine:
  • Physical Attacker -
  • Focus Sash + Endeavor -
Darmanitan:
Tornadus:
  • Rain Abuser -
  • Choice Specs -
Abomasnow:
  • Choice Scarf -
  • SubSeed -
  • Mixed Attacker -
Alakazam:
  • Offensive Calm Mind -
  • Focus Sash -
Azelf:
  • Dual Screens -
  • Lead -
  • Nasty Plot -
  • Choice Band -
Azumarill:
  • Choice Band -
Deoxys-D:
  • Fast Spiker -
Dugtrio:
  • Focus Sash -
  • Choice Band -
Empoleon:
  • Agility -
  • Choice Specs -
Gorebyss:
  • SmashPass -
  • Shell Smash Sweeper -
Kingdra:
  • Dragon Dance -
  • Rain Dance -
  • Choice Specs -
Kyurem:
  • Choice -
Victini:
  • Choice Band / Scarf -
  • Physical Attacker -
Stoutland:
  • Choice Band -
Smeargle:
  • Baton Pass -
Sharpedo:
  • Speed Boost -
Rotom-C:
  • Choice Scarf / Choice Specs -
  • Support -

Standard OU Defensive Threats

Tyranitar:
  • Specially Defensive -
Rotom-W:
  • Standard -
Ferrothorn:
  • Standard -
Politoed:
  • Defensive -
Gliscor:
  • Swords Dance -
  • Substitute + Protect -
  • AcroBat -
  • Defensive -
Heatran:
  • Specially Defensive -
Jirachi:
  • Specially Defensive -
Skarmory:
  • Physically Defensive Spiker -
  • Specially Defensive Spiker -
Ninetales:
  • Specially Defensive -
Celebi:
  • Physically Defensive -
Forretress:
  • Physically Defensive Spiker -
  • Specially Defensive Spiker -
Gyarados:
  • RestTalk -
Jellicent:
  • Utility Counter -
Tentacruel:
  • Toxic Spikes -
Gastrodon:
  • Tank -
Espeon:
  • Dual Screens -
  • Baton Pass -
Blissey:
  • Support -
Vaporeon:
  • Wish Support -
Latias:
  • Support -
Bronzong:
  • Tank -
  • Dual Screens -
Swampert:
  • Defensive -
Mew:
  • Stallbreaker -
Slowbro:
  • Tank -
Quagsire:
  • Curse -
  • Specially Defensive -
  • Physically Defensive -
Cresselia:
  • Support -
  • Dual Screens -
Deoxys-D:
  • Bulky Spiker -
  • Toxic Staller -
Empoleon:
  • Specially Defensive -
Hippowdon:
  • Physical Tank -
Xatu:
  • Standard -
  • Dual Screens -
Wobbuffet:
  • Bulky -
Whimsicott:
  • Prankster -
Tangrowth:
  • Physically Defensive -
Sableye:
  • Prankster -
Porygon2:
  • Defensive -
Chansey:
  • Support -

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hi! You have a nice team, but there are some moveset changes I would suggest you implement. Metagross needs an EV spread of 44 HP / 252 Atk / 212 Spe Jolly. This is just enough to outspeed max speed Tornadus-T with your scarf. That's all you need to outspeed- since, with 252 Spe, Max speed Jolteon outspeeds you by one insulting point. Move the extra 40 EVs into HP for more bulk. Just a tiny little nitpick, when you write your EVs, write 'speed' as 'spe', and special defense as 'SpD' so people don't get them mixed up. Tornadus needs Acrobatics instead of Air Slash- after you eat your berry, Acrobatics will become much more powerful than Air Slash. For Donphan, you're going to want to replace Seed Bomb with Stone Edge so you can nab the KO on the Therians. Seed bomb doesn't hit anything that EQ doesn't hit.
I also think you should ditch the Specs onn Alakazam. Your team has three choiced users; that's way too many for a balanced team like yours. Replace the Specs with Life Orb, and replace Trick with Focus Blast. That way, you still keep your power, without having to be locked into any more. Focus Blast deals with pesky Steels and Mamoswine. Slowbro also needs some changes:

Slowbro @ Lum Berry
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
~Scald
~Fire Blast
~Yawn
~Ice Beam
You would prefer a more defensive set, because without the Defense EVs Slowbro can't tank as many hits as it should. I switched Flamethrower for Fire Blast to compensate for power loss, and switched Slack Off for Ice Beam so you're not Dragon bait.

Hi! You have a nice team, but there are some moveset changes I would suggest you implement. Metagross needs an EV spread of 44 HP / 252 Atk / 212 Spe Jolly. This is just enough to outspeed max speed Tornadus-T with your scarf. That's all you need to outspeed- since, with 252 Spe, Max speed Jolteon outspeeds you by one insulting point. Move the extra 40 EVs into HP for more bulk. Just a tiny little nitpick, when you write your EVs, write 'speed' as 'spe', and special defense as 'SpD' so people don't get them mixed up. Tornadus needs Acrobatics instead of Air Slash- after you eat your berry, Acrobatics will become much more powerful than Air Slash. For Donphan, you're going to want to replace Seed Bomb with Stone Edge so you can nab the KO on the Therians. Seed bomb doesn't hit anything that EQ doesn't hit.
I also think you should ditch the Specs onn Alakazam. Your team has three choiced users; that's way too many for a balanced team like yours. Replace the Specs with Life Orb, and replace Trick with Focus Blast. That way, you still keep your power, without having to be locked into any more. Focus Blast deals with pesky Steels and Mamoswine. Slowbro also needs some changes:

Slowbro @ Lum Berry
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
~Scald
~Fire Blast
~Yawn
~Ice Beam
You would prefer a more defensive set, because without the Defense EVs Slowbro can't tank as many hits as it should. I switched Flamethrower for Fire Blast to compensate for power loss, and switched Slack Off for Ice Beam so you're not Dragon bait.
I need those speed ev's after I lost my scarf. For tornadus Petaya berry increases his spAtk and also I need something to hit hard before the berry activates. I need that seed boomb mainly for gastrodon and rotom-w. However, I think I'll consider that alakazam suggestion, I'll try, even though I don' t like that 70% accuracy. As for Slowbro, he might not resist as much as the bold one, but he hits way harder and as I said he resists a lot of moves anyway, and again I don' t like that 85% accuracy :/. But thanks a lot :D I took a lot of what you said in consideration

Honestly, do you really think that it's the best idea to use a donphan to stop a rotom-w or any water/ground type for that matter. Also, excluding your alakazam, your team does rather poorly against ghost types. Your team has rather redundant typing, as 3 out of 6 of you pokemon are psychic types. Try replacing alakazam with heatran. To make up for the bit of lost coverage, put psychic instead of yawn on your slowbro. It may also benefit you to replace your metagross with gengar. That way you have an answer to all of the ghosts and psychics on your threat list. Try these sets:

Heatran@Air Balloon
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 SpA, 4 SpD, 252 Spe
Moves:
Fire Blast/ Flamethrower
Earth Power
Hidden Power Ice
Taunt/ Torment

A fire type move allows you to deal super-effective damage to a quarter of your threats. The choice is based on accuracy vs. power. Hidden Power Ice hits the plethora of dragons that are on your threat list hard. Earth Power has great coverage. Taunt and Torment are about preference. Both can force switches, not to mention rage quits, especially in the case of torment.

Gengar@Life Orb
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 HP, 252 SpA, 252 Spe
Moves:
Substitute
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast
Thunderbolt/ Hidden Power Grass

The rest of the pokemon on the threat list are mostly ghost and/or water type pokemon. Substitute protects from status, as well as disable, and gives you what is essentially a free attack. Shadow Ball hits other ghosts hard. Thunderbolt/ Hidden Power Grass take care of your water weakness. Although the former deals a greater amount of damage, the latter gives you coverage against water/ground types. That slot is a matter of preference. However, it should be noted that Thunderbolt also hits Gyarados super-effectively. The third slot and the last slot being discussed is reserved for Focus Blast, whose accuracy I know you, as well as many others, despise. Unfortunately, Focus Blast is the only widely-available special, fighting type move in the game and must be used in order to avoid being completely and utterly walled by common checks. It also OHKOs Tyranitar on this set who could otherwise pursuit on the switch and, in doing so, OHKO Gengar.

Nova

snitches get stitches
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi -Landon-

Solid team you have here, I really like your use of creative sets such as Sub+Petaya Tornadus. However, I do have some suggestions for you. Looking at your team, Quiver Dance Volcarona is a major threat to it. After a boost, the moth outspeeds your entire team and hits hard with its Fire STAB and Bug Buzz. Although you are using two Choice Scarfers in Metagross or Haxorus, neither can outspeed Volcarona at +1. For this threat, I suggest changing Alakazam's item to a Focus Sash and replacing Trick with Focus Blast. With Alakazam's Magic Guard ability, he takes no damage from weather, status effects, and entry hazards meaning his Focus Sash can only be broken through a direct attack. This gives you a reliable check to sweepers who have set up boosts as Alakazam is ensured to live at least one attack and fire off one of its powerful coverage moves. Alakazam can live a Bug Buzz from Volcarona and then fire back a powerful Psyshock, eliminating the moth with some prior damage. Focus Blast is extremely useful on Alakazam, despite the low accuracy, because it provides coverage against Steel types namely Ferrothorn and Heatran as well as Tyranitar.

Next, I suggest replacing your current Haxorus set with a Dragon Dance Haxorus with a moveset of Dragon Dance / Outrage / Superpower / Earthquake with the hold item being a Lum Berry. Scarf Haxorus is quite redundant as you already have solid revenge killers in Metagross and Alakazam as well as priority in Donphan. DD Haxorus gives you a setup sweeper that can rip apart your opponents after a boost with its massive attack stat. Outrage is used for its ridiculous power and Earthquake provides great coverage, as well as bein able to hit Levitators due to Mold Breaker. Haxorus improved in Black and White 2 with the addition of Superpower (and Aqua Tail for that matter) so it can now reliably defeat Ferrothorn. Lum Berry is used as the item to protect him from debilitating status once while setting up.

Now for some smaller changes. On Metagross, I suggest replacing Stealth Rock with Meteor Mash. Stealth Rock is useful to set up after you lose your Scarf but you won't always want to Trick it away. Meteor Mash is Metagross' most reliable STAB, providing a spammable move late game while having a nifty chance of raising attack. If you make this change, then replace Seed Bomb on Donphan with Stealth Rock. Seed Bomb can be useful to hit opposing Water types, but the majority of them outspeed Donphan and can simply hit you hard with Hydro Pump/Waterfall before you can do anything back. SR is a very beneficial move in the current metagame to cripple top threats such as Dragonite, Salamence, and the Therian formes and Donphan's great bulk allows him to reliably set up rocks.

Hope I helped and good luck with your team!

Set:
Haxorus (M) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Mold Breaker
EVs: 36 HP / 252 Atk / 220 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
-Dragon Dance
-Outrage
-Earthquake
-Superpower

tl;dr
Choice Specs on Alakazam ----> Focus Sash
Trick on Alakazam ----> Focus Blast
Choice Scarf Haxorus ----> Dragon Dance Haxorus
Stealth Rock on Metagross ----> Meteor Mash
Seed Bomb on Donphan ----> Stealth Rock

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)