A Sand Stall OU Team

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Owen, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Owen

Owen

Hello people, welcome to another one of my rate my team threads.

This time, I bring to you a Sand Stall OU team, with the challenge of having 3 ground types, so don't comment about that. :P

Hippowdon (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sand Stream
    EVs: 252 HP / 244 Def / 12 SDef
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Earthquake
    - Stealth Rock
    - Slack Off
    - Ice Fang

Originally, when I was deciding through Tyranitar and Hippowdon as a weather starter, I went for Tyranitar. However, I found that it didn't exactly fit my needs. This is pretty much the standard Hippowdon set, with Stealth Rock and Slack Off. Ice Fang takes care of Dragons easily, and Earthquake takes care of pesky Pokemon such as Terrakion or Ferrothorn.

Slowbro (M) @ Rocky Helmet
    Trait: Regenerator
    EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 SAtk
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Scald
    - Psychic
    - Slack Off
    - Thunder Wave

Another standard set, rocky helmet for those people who actually attempt U-Turn on Slowbro. Scald, Psychic and Thunderwave make great coverage, and Thunderwave will make a sweeper have a very good time against this time.

Slowbro can even take down Scizor, with T-Wave and Rocky Helmet + Slack Off stall, since most people will expect Slowbro to have leftovers.

Heatran (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 SDef / 8 Spd
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Lava Plume
    - Earth Power
    - Protect
    - Will-O-Wisp

Heatran is pretty much what pulls this entire team together, takes care of ice, grass, fire, and sometimes even water, it completely destroys Jirachi, and can use Will-O-Wisp on switch ins to cripple pokemon dangerous to Heatran.

Landorus (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Sand Force
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Naughty Nature (+Atk, -SDef)
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge
    - U-turn
    - Hidden Power [Ice]

Landorus is my check to many opposing threats to this team, and covers the massive weaknesses to this team. Since all the Pokemon in this team are very slow, Landorus having a choice scarf is a very easy choice to have on the team.

The set checks a huge portion of the OU tier.

Gastrodon (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Storm Drain
    EVs: 212 HP / 44 Def / 252 SDef
    - Ice Beam
    - Earth Power
    - Toxic
    - Recover

A simple stall set, Recover + Toxic to stall the opponent out, and ice beam and Earth Power for coverage. Toxic can completely obliterate a team, and Earth Power kills Jirachi and Fire types.

Other than that, Gastrodon just protects the team from weaknesses that would otherwise tear huge holes into my entire team.

Amoonguss (F) @ Black Sludge
    Trait: Regenerator
    EVs: 224 HP / 184 Def / 28 SAtk / 72 SDef
    - Giga Drain
    - Clear Smog
    - Stun Spore
    - Hidden Power [Ice]

As part of the regenerator core, comes Amoonguss.

Clear Smog takes care of sweeping threats, and Stun Spore can cripple Pokemon, really Giga Drain and HP Ice won't be used much unless I'm in real trouble, as Amoonguss is not very reliable with it's Special Attack.

Remember, I MUST have 3 ground type Pokemon.
  2. Dragonbronze

Dragonbronze

IMO, Amoongus is too darn slow to stop Rock Polish Genesect from burning it with flamethrower or Bug Buzz. Or any other fast setup sweeper for that matter. Unaware Quagsire could help sponge up boosted attacks.

Once Heatran has been taken care of, your whole team can be sweeped by Genesect with a 1.5x SpA boost, this can be prevented by giving Heatran Shed Shell to prevent Dugtrio from coming in and clearing Heatran out, thus giving way to Rock Polish Genesect. However, you do have Gastrodon to fall back on, but it cannot take 2 hits from Bug Buzz.

some data:

252 +1 SpAtk Life Orb Genesect (+SpAtk) Ice Beam vs 252 HP/12 SpDef Hippowdon: 128.57% - 151.43% (Guaranteed OHKO)
    252 +1 SpAtk Life Orb Genesect (+SpAtk) Bug Buzz vs 248 HP/0 SpDef Slowbro: 182.44% - 215.27% (Guaranteed OHKO)
    252 +1 SpAtk Life Orb Genesect (+SpAtk) Ice Beam vs 4 HP/0 SpDef Garchomp: 268.16% - 316.2% (Guaranteed OHKO)
    252 +1 SpAtk Life Orb Genesect (+SpAtk) Bug Buzz vs 212 HP/252 SpDef Gastrodon: 64.42% - 75.72% (2 hits to KO)
    252 +1 SpAtk Life Orb Genesect (+SpAtk) Flamethrower vs 224 HP/72 SpDef Amoonguss (+SpDef) : 99.29% - 116.71% (93.75% chance to OHKO)

this is what I think, it may be wrong, as this is my first time posting

Other than Genesect, your team is fine, I guess. Oh yes, be careful of water types like Starmie coming in and spamming Ice Beam.
  3. Owen

Owen

Thanks for the tips, the only problem I really have with this team is the fact that I have no check against sweepers, and my team is easily defeated by Pokemon faster than mine.

Maybe I should change Amoonguss and Garchomp...hmmm
  4. Dragonbronze

Dragonbronze

Keep Heatran with Shed Shell, it is the best wall for Genesect, genesect's stab moves can't scratch it, and Heatran can retaliate with Lava Plume.

You should change Amoongus if it doesn't have Spore, other than Spore, it doesn't really have an edge over other pokemon.

so mainly Genesect can come in on a choice locked Outrage, which only shaves around 40% health, then set up and sweep.

[EDIT] Sandstorm Terrakion is a good check for Genesect. A choice scarfed Terrakion could act as a potent revenge killer. Takes resisted damage against Genesect's main attacks, and then pummels Genesect with Close Combat. since your team is sandstorm, you might want Terrakion.
  5. Owen

Owen

I will get rid of Amoonguss, and MAYBE replace Chomp with Landorus. :P

Also, good call with the shed shell on Heatran.

Added Landorus:

Landorus (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Sand Force
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Naughty Nature (+Atk, -SDef)
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge
    - U-turn
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
  6. Jirachee

Jirachee Pay attention to the fine print.
    is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor

Hi

Your team gets pretty much annihilated by standard Sun teams with Venusaur and Dugtrio at its current state. Heatran is the only thing on your team that's able to beat Venusaur on 1v1, as everything else gets curbstomped. However, it is prone to get trapped by Dugtrio, a common pick for Sun teams, effectively removing your only check to it. Genesect can also take advantage of Dugtrio removing Heatran and proceed to completely destroy the rest of your team as nothing really stops it well. To avoid getting stomped by Dugtrio teams every time I'd recommend using Shed Shell on Heatran, which allows it to escape from Dugtrio's Arena Trap. While you lose the precious recovery from Leftovers, you won't lose your only check to a number of threats that instantly sweep you which is a nice advantage imo.

Another thing that could seriously hurt your team is Tornadus-T. It's very easy for Tornadus-T to beat your only Flying resist, Heatran, as it's weak to Superpower/Focus Blast, Tornadus-T's most common coverage moves. It will then be able to KO the rest of your team with Hurricane rather easily a bit later in the game where everything has been hurt by entry hazards. While you have a weather inducer of your own to reduce Hurricane's accuracy, you REALLY DON'T wanna switch it into a full power Hurricane as it means you instantly lose the weather war if it connects. In my opinion you could be using Bronzong instead of Amoonguss. Bronzong does a number of things for your team that will be quite useful. Number one, it gives you a nice switch in for Tornadus-T which your team lacks. Number two, it gives you an additional Dragon type resist. This will be very important as Heatran is currently your only Dragon resist, and without recovery it will have a hard time keeping up with CB Outrages etc. Lastly, it allows you to run Whirlwind on Hippowdon instead of Stealth Rock as Bronzong has nothing better to run anyway. I think that will greatly improve your team.

Last thing, use a Naive nature on Landorus. Naughty isn't really good as Landorus needs all the Speed it can get. Its base Speed stat allows it to outrun stuff like max Speed Salamence and Genesect, as well as Volcarona, making its ability to revenge kill more effective.

Here's the set you should use:
    Bronzong (open)

[​IMG]
    Bronzong @ Leftovers
    Levitate
    Sassy
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
    ~Gyro Ball
    ~Hidden Power Ice
    ~Earthquake
    ~Stealth Rock

Good luck!
  7. Owen

Owen

Thanks alot for the tips, but now with Bronzong I have no defense against Toxic Spikes, and Hazards seem to really wear my team down alot.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)