1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

A Slow Day In The Sun

Discussion in 'BW Other Teams' started by daVENN, Apr 4, 2013.

1. daVENN

daVENN

Intro

What's up I am daVENN this is my first post on Smogon. I've recently gotten back into pokemon. I am very interested in the competitive battle scene that goes along with it. I have been lurking around the Smogon forums and Nuggetbridge articles for a while trying to learn the current VGC metagame. I have put this team together as a result of my findings on both sites. I am new to competitive batteling so any suggestions are appreciated. This team came from me wanting to confuse my opponents during the team preview. The Idea was to have a Trick Room team that would also show common weather inducers so that my opponents would not know what to expect when they battled me. It has gone through some changes since then but the core of TR + sun has stayed. So here you are, enjoy!

Teambuilding Process
    Show Hide

[​IMG]
    I knew that I wanted was a TR team, so first I needed a TR setter. I chose Dusclops because I like defensive play styles and evolite Dusclops is just so hard to take down.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Next up i needed someone to help TR go up. So enter the gangsta lizard himself Scrafty. With Intimidat and Fake Out at his disposal he's like a slower version of Hitmontop with the ability to take down Cresselia and Latios, two of the most common pokemon I run into.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    The whole idea of this team is to show possible weather inducers, but only have one of them actually induce weather. So now is where I start to get sneaky. I gave him his dream world ability, unnerve, instead of the standard sand stream.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Now onto my actual weather inducer, Ninetales. It's been one of my favorite pokemon since the days of Red and Blue and the addition of its dream world ability, which brought it back into competitive use just makes me smile.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Venusaur adds more to my team preview illusion. The normal competitive Venusaur has chlorophyll to max out speed. Since this is a Trick Room team this one has overgrow so that it can function in fine in Trick Room. This also, hopefully, draws attention away from the fact that this is a Trick Room team an maybe makes my opponent predict a chlorophyll sun team instead.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    And finally Cresselia because every team needs a Cresselia right? But seriously I needed psychic and ice coverage and someone who can also set Trick Room and sun is nice to have around.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    So after some testing on showdown I realized that Tyranitar did not synergise well with my team. Honestly I am not as sneaky as I thought i was being, or people were able to see right through my ploy, whichever you want to say. Tyranitar just felt like dead weight, I had him holding a focus band so that he could at least use one attack after switching in, but that's honestly the most I ever got out of him, switch in get saved by sash get in one STAB and then die. Also unnerve never came into play and having him on my team just made me angry whenever someone ate a berry because he had already fainted. As a replacement I wanted something Steel type that could resist dragon attacks and something I could have switch into an attack by Chandelure. My initial thoughts were Scizor, Metagross and Heatran. While Scizor and Metagross are fantastic under Trick Room neither appreciate the sun too much so welcome Heatran to the team.

Team Members

[​IMG]
    SKULLY (Dusclops) @ Eviolite
    Trait: Pressure
    EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SDef
    Relaxed Nature
    IVs: 0 Spd
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Night Shade
    - Pain Split
    - Trick Room

Dusclops is my primary Trick Room setter as well as my wall. Under Trick Room he's just about the fastest non paralyzed pokemon I have come across. Evolite adds to his already considerable bulk and Relaxed Nature and 0 Speed IVs to help him be faster in Trick Room. The moveset is fairly standard. He usually starts off by setting up Trick Room then throwing around Will-O-Wisps to any physical threats and then follows up by using Night Shade on everything else. People seem to target him first, which is just what I want because as soon as I get into the red/yellow I get to use Pain Split, again under Trick Room he goes first 99% of the time which means as long as the opponent has a pokemon on the field with a decent amount of health Dusclops never really faints. He's also the perfect match to switch into Scrafty or Heatran when an opposing pokemon thinks they will KO one of them with a Close Combat. As you will come to see I really don't know what I am doing as far as EV spreads are concerned. I have given him max HP and split the rest in between Def and SDef. If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them. My main goal with Dusclops is to keep him alive long enough to be able to set up Trick Room a good two or three times, which at that point the battles are usually over.

[​IMG]
    BENDER (Scrafty) @ Expert Belt
    Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
    Brave Nature
    - Rock Slide
    - Fake Out
    - Crunch
    - Drain Punch

Scrafty, Oh how I love Scrafty. I originally threw him on the team on a whim and boy have I enjoyed him. I chose Intimidate over Moxie because I am using him for Fake Out in order to help get Trick Room up and switching him out for Fake Out just resets Moxie. Also multiple Intimidates are never a bad thing. Drain Punch and Crunch are great STABs with Drain Punch giving him back some hp adding to his survivablity. Rock Slide seems like an odd choice here. I originally had Protect in this slot, but when I took Tyranitar off the team I needed something to hit Bug and Flying types, with. I chose Rock Slide over Stone Edge because I prefer being able to hit both opponents at once also the flinch chance is a nice bonus. Since taking it off I have only really missed Protect when the opponent has a Fake Out user, but I have adjusted to leading with Scrafty and firing off and Intimidate then Turn 1 switching him out for Dusclops to negate Fake Out. Expert Belt gives everything just a little more power which is always welcome. Also Brave Nature and 0 Speed IVs to keep my speed low, which lets him function very well under Trick Room. Again I am not too sure about the EV spread here. My thoughts in creating this one were max HP and max Atk mean that I will get the max benefit from Drain Punch. If anyone has any better suggetions I would love to hear them.

[​IMG]
    HoTS (Heatran) @ Sitrus Berry
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 244 HP / 52 Def / 212 SAtk
    Modest Nature
    - Protect
    - Substitute
    - Earth Power
    - Heat Wave

Heatran, the newest addition to my team plays fits surprisingly well with other team members. I can only credit my lack of knowledge about 4th gen pokemon as to why I wasn't using him in the first place. The moveset is pretty standard Substitute Heatran. Sub + Protect for longevity, with heat Wave as a fantastic STAB, especially under the sun, as well as Earth Power to add ground coverage as well as deal with those annoying Volcarona. He is great to bring in when Trick Room has only one turn left. Most people go all out on Dusclops as soon as they have the speed advantage, giving Heatran a chance to set up Substitute. He also pairs very well with Ninetales because dual spread Heat Waves in the sun can straight up KO most pokemon that don't resist it. I chose Sitrus Berry over Leftovers because I usually bring Heatran out late game and appreciate a big HP boost all at once as opposed to slow recovery over time. Now on the EVs: to be honest I've pretty much ripped off Wolfey's Heatran almost exactly. The only real change I made to him is the 0 Speed IVs to operate under trick room as well as moving unnecessary Speed EVs to Special Attack. I have thought about changing his nature to quiet, but again most of the time I use him late game, where my Trick Room user has already been fainted so I didn't see the point. Heatran is great because it completely removes the threat of Chandelure and Volcarona, which are annoying because my weather gives their already powerful STABs a bonus. I can have him waiting to switch into pretty much any attack either of them can dish out. If I predict correctly and switch into a Heat Wave then Earth Power can usually 2HKO either of them.

[​IMG]
    FOXXY (Ninetales) @ Fire Gem
    Trait: Drought
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
    Quiet Nature
    - Protect
    - Sunny Day
    - SolarBeam
    - Heat Wave

Ninetales, the next best thing since Groudon. To be honest she's pretty much a glass cannon, but if if can set her up correctly she works wonders. Quiet nature as well as 0 Speed IVs not only help her get weather up if opponents weather inducers have any kind of speed investment but also allow her to function well in Trick Room. She's is also able to function well outside of Trick Room as well. The moveset is pretty normal, I am considering removing Sunny Day for Hidden Power Ice or Hidden Power Ground for additional coverage. However it is nice to be able to use Sunny Day when I can predict a Politoed switch in, which completely negates Drizzle and lets me get free hits on Politoed as it switches in. With Fire Gem boosted Heat Waves in the sun she is able to 2HKO most Ludicolo and severely damage any Politoed that are not switched out. She pairs well with Scrafty and Heatran as they are all able to spam spread moves onto my opponents pokemon. Again I am up for suggestions on the EV spread.

[​IMG]
    SAUR (Venusaur) @ Black Sludge
    Trait: Overgrow
    Quiet Nature
    - Protect
    - Sleep Powder
    - Giga Drain
    - Sludge Bomb

Venusaur, my favorite starter since back in the days of the Gameboy Color. Again Overgrow is to mislead my opponents in the Team Preview and Black Sludge is like Leftovers that poison opponents pokemon who use Trick. Sleep power does not have the accuracy that Spore does, but it does make me smile when under Trick Room I put a max Speed Breloom to sleep before they can Spore me back. Giga Drain and Sludge Bomb are STABs that deal good damage, as well as Giga Drain keeping him alive longer. He used to use Solar Beam in place of Giga Drain, but i found that this meant that he could only come out in the sun, which severely limited his usefulness, especially in a weather war because opponents weather inducers switching in turns Solar Beam into a two turn attack and just gives the opponent the chance to throw up a Protect. 0 Speed IVs and Quiet Nature to allow him to function well in Trick Room. The EV spread definitely needs some work I would like to run more of a defensive version, but I still really don't know what I am doing as far as EV spreads are concerned. Even though I love the guy he is the weakest link in my team. At the moment I only use him against Sandstorm teams. I would consider switching him out for someone else, however I would like to work on the EV spread first, just to see what happens.

[​IMG]
    DUCK POPE (Cresselia) (F) @ Mental Herb
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 192 SpD
    Sassy Nature
    - Ice Beam
    - Psychic
    - Trick Room
    - Sunny Day

And finally Cresselia the flying duck leader of the moon herself and also the number one used pokemon on the latest wifi competition for a reason I might add. Cresselia allows me to have not only another Trick Room setter but also another sun inducer allowing me to bring her to just about every battle. I opted for Ice Beam over Icy Wind for my ice coverage because Icy Wind will help my opponents in Trick Room and I can't have any of that. I've opted for Psychic over Psyshock because as I have come understand it Psyshock is preferred to deal with Hitmontop. I play a lot over on Showdown where Hitmontop is less prevalent, for a wifi competition I would probalby switch back to Psyshock. Mental Herb is to deal with Taunt users. It guarantees me at least one Trick Room set up successfully, which often times is enough to KO the Taunt user. I got this EV spread from the Smogon standard for Trick Room Cresselia.

Importable
    Show Hide
    === [doublesvgc2013dev] A Slow Day In The Sun ===

SKULLY (Dusclops) @ Eviolite
    Trait: Pressure
    EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SDef
    Relaxed Nature
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Night Shade
    - Pain Split
    - Trick Room

BENDER (Scrafty) @ Expert Belt
    Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
    Brave Nature
    - Rock Slide
    - Fake Out
    - Crunch
    - Drain Punch

HoTS (Heatran) @ Sitrus Berry
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 244 HP / 52 Def / 212 SAtk
    Modest Nature
    - Protect
    - Substitute
    - Earth Power
    - Heat Wave

FOXXY (Ninetales) @ Fire Gem
    Trait: Drought
    Quiet Nature
    - Protect
    - Sunny Day
    - SolarBeam
    - Heat Wave

SAUR (Venusaur) @ Black Sludge
    Trait: Overgrow
    Quiet Nature
    - Protect
    - Sleep Powder
    - Giga Drain
    - Sludge Bomb

DUCK POPE (Cresselia) (F) @ Mental Herb
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 192 SpD
    Sassy Nature
    - Ice Beam
    - Psychic
    - Trick Room
    - Sunny Day

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)