A Sunny Trip to LittleCup Land: My first LC RMT

A Sunny Trip to LittleCup Land

Hi Folks! My name is Patrick and this is my first LC RMT. I just tried it out and started having fun right away. Last gen, I was mostly an UU battler, but am looking to open up my horizons this gen. I decided to try a Sun based team. The record for this team is 21-7 at this moment. I will take any and all help, especially with EVs (I'm still trying to figure out how they work at Level 5). Without further ado, here's my Sunny Trip to LC Land!

Vulpix@ Heat Rock
Drought
Modest Nature
52 HP/ 220 Sp Attack/ 236 Speed (0 Atk)
-Overheat
-Energy Ball
-Protect
-Will-o-Wisp

You can't have sun without the fox, so here it is! I chose Heat Rock over Eviolite to lengthen sun due to the nerf this gen. Overheat is to obliterate just about everything. Energy Ball is for coverage against rock and water types. Protect is to watch out for Fake Out and scout for moves like High Jump Kick. WoW got the nice buff this gen with 85% accuracy.

Tangela@ Eviolite
Chlorophyll
Modest Nature
36 HP/ 236 Sp Attack/ 236 Speed (0 Atk)
-Leaf Storm
-Sludge Bomb
-Giga Drain
-Sleep Powder

Here's Tangela in all its glory! This is a pretty standard set. Eviolite gives Tangela great bulk and has great synergy with Vulpix. Leaf Storm is the main STAB move. Sludge Bomb is for coverage. Giga Drain was chosen for HP recovery since Tangela has no recovery whatsoever. Even though Sleep Powder got nerfed due to the sleep mechanics reverting to Gen IV, grass types being immune to powder and the buff to Overcoat, it's still the go to move of choice to incapacitate pokes.

Abra@ Focus Sash
Magic Guard
Timid Nature
36 HP/ 236 Sp Attack/ 236 Speed (0 Atk)
-Psychic
-Dazzling Gleam
-Hidden Power Ice
-Encore

I used Abra's mustachioed Papa in OU as a revenge killer and it was efficient to say the least. Abra has helped a great deal for this team. Psychic is the STAB move of choice. Dazzling Gleam blasts the dark pokes away like Vullaby and Murkrow. HP Ice hits Gligar, but I'm not to sure about it tbh. Encore is a great move on Abra. It can create set-up opportunities for my sweepers very easily. I can lock Spinarak in on Sticky Web, lock a booster like unburden Swirlix into CM, etc..

Vullaby@ Eviolite
Overcoat
Impish Nature
116 HP/ 76 Attack/ 76 Def/ 236 Sp Def
-Knock Off
-Roost
-Defog
-Sunny Day

Vullaby is probably one of my favorites on this team and is a fantastic team player. The buff to Overcoat makes Vullaby immune to weather and all powder/spore moves. Eviolite is to boost it's already good defenses even higher. The buff to Knock Off is the STAB move here and to make sure Vullaby isn't taunt bait. Roost is for HP Recovery. Defog is to prevent hazards, especially Stealth Rock and Sticky Web, from staying on the field. Sunny Day is chosen to help bring the Sun back in case Vulpix bites the dust a little early.

Tyrunt@ Berry Juice
Strong Jaw
Jolly Nature
52 HP/ 204 Attack/ 216 Speed
-Dragon Dance
-Fire Fang
-Ice Fang
-Stone Edge

Tyrunt is one of the sweepers for the team. This is a pretty typical DD set. Ice Fang and Fire Fang get a great boost thanks to Strong Jaw (the latter gets even bigger of a boost thanks to Sun). Stone Edge is the STAB of choice, even though it misses a lot. Berry Juice was chosen to bring Tyrunt back to full health at he is able to get at least one boost pretty easily.

Fletchling@ Focus Sash
Gale Wings
Adamant Nature
236 Attack/ 236 Speed
-Swords Dance
-Acrobatics
-Tailwind
-Protect

Fletchling is one of my favorite sweepers. Gale Wings gives it priority on all flying moves; Acrobatics and Tailwind. Since the probably won't be released, Focus Sash + Acrobatics is the move of choice. A +2 Acrobatics with Focus Sash gone 1-2HKO most of the tier, including Vullaby (64-76% on 116/76+ Vullaby). Tailwind is to support the team even further if Fletchling is on the way out. It can help Tyrunt check certain ShellSmashers or give new life to Tangela if my sun is gone. Protect is to stop Fake Out users from OHKO me if Sash is gone.

So, this is my first LC RMT. I'm excited to make more teams and try out new strategies. All of the EV spreads were either copy and pasted or seen on the forums, so any tweeking is quite fine. Thank you for seeing my team and I look forward to playing LC more!

Great job! I like how your team uses sun, but can still do well once vulpix bites the dust. Creative use of sash, but if flecthling gets hit by an attack and doesn't go to 1 HP, acrobatics is not that good. Therefore, have 0 IVs in HP, defense, and Special defense. Tyrunt is a great sweeper and has lots of potential. I think you have tapped into that. Vullaby seems good, and so does Abra but you should realize that in December, acrogar will be back and hit hard. Therefore, Vullaby should be replaced with a solid gligar counter, such as bronzor, phanpy, or priority and choice scarf users. Finally, replace protect with a coverage move on vulpix.

Once again, great job!

Great job! I like how your team uses sun, but can still do well once vulpix bites the dust. Creative use of sash, but if flecthling gets hit by an attack and doesn't go to 1 HP, acrobatics is not that good. Therefore, have 0 IVs in HP, defense, and Special defense. Tyrunt is a great sweeper and has lots of potential. I think you have tapped into that. Vullaby seems good, and so does Abra but you should realize that in December, acrogar will be back and hit hard. Therefore, Vullaby should be replaced with a solid gligar counter, such as bronzor, phanpy, or priority and choice scarf users. Finally, replace protect with a coverage move on vulpix.

Once again, great job!
(please don't use colors like that, SCIENCE!!!, it's hard to read and hurts my eyes.) I have no idea what you're talking about with acrobatics, as HP does not affect it's power. Other than that, I love that you gave vullaby sunny day to restore sun, which is a strategy I frequently use with rain. With Abra, I'd suggest giving it modest nature and 252 SpA.

(please don't use colors like that, SCIENCE!!!, it's hard to read and hurts my eyes.) I have no idea what you're talking about with acrobatics, as HP does not affect it's power. Other than that, I love that you gave vullaby sunny day to restore sun, which is a strategy I frequently use with rain. With Abra, I'd suggest giving it modest nature and 252 SpA.
252 satk literally gives abra no more satk then 236.

Nice team, but I'd recommend swapping Hp ice on abra for Shadow Ball, as ice type coverage is less I Portland then hitting ghosts, from my experience. Full rate later.

if he has hp left, he is still holding sash, and can't get rid of it therefore causing a weaker attack.
Also, sorry about the colors

One thing I can see your team having trouble dealing with is SturdyJuice strategies. I would suggest using Tyrantrum for Stealth Rock to replenish this. As for Abra, I would also suggest using Shadow Ball, maybe even over Dazzling Gleam, as I don't see why it's even needed. On Fletchling, what exactly is the purpose of Protect? I used to use Overheat on Fletchling before Flying Gem was removed, and it worked out quite well. I forget the EVs for the Fletchling, however. On Tangela, I think you should change your item to Berry Juice and drop Giga Drain for something that gives more coverage, maybe HPIce or Ancient Power. Pretty cool team, all-in-all.

Science was referring to, if you don't take damage from an attack that would KO you, your Focus Sash would not be used, thus you will still have your item. Acrobatics' power relies on the lack of an item. Also, modest Abra is a terrible idea. Abra hits an incredible speed stat, and unless it's Scarfed, it should never be Modest. One more thing, before you suggest to change EVs pointlessly, like you did, please understand how LC EVs work.

EDIT S0L1D G0LD: Oh, good point. Murkrow.

Last edited:
One thing I can see your team having trouble dealing with is SturdyJuice strategies. I would suggest using Tyrantrum for Stealth Rock to replenish this. As for Abra, I would also suggest using Shadow Ball, maybe even over Dazzling Gleam, as I don't see why it's even needed. On Fletchling, what exactly is the purpose of Protect? I used to use Overheat on Fletchling before Flying Gem was removed, and it worked out quite well. I forget the EVs for the Fletchling, however. On Tangela, I think you should change your item to Berry Juice and drop Giga Drain for something that gives more coverage, maybe HPIce. Pretty cool team, all-in-all.
Just saying, dazzling gleam lets you revenge Murrow and ko scraggy, so it's worth keeping in addition to shadow ball. Plus it's generally good coverage.

Thanks a bunch! I love that idea of 0 ivs in hp def and sp def. I would get to 20% sometimes and just be frustrated lol

What is the acrogar set you are talking about? With flying gem gone its tough to activate the acrobatics.

Hmm what coverage move would you recommend on vulpix? Hidden power?

Thanks for the rate!

Thanks a bunch! I love that idea of 0 ivs in hp def and sp def. I would get to 20% sometimes and just be frustrated lol

What is the acrogar set you are talking about? With flying gem gone its tough to activate the acrobatics.

Hmm what coverage move would you recommend on vulpix? Hidden power?

Thanks for the rate!
I meant when pokebank came out and allowed gems. Also, today was my first day on smogon, so I am happy I could contribute.

Well I have to say this team does a nice job of doing what its meant to do as a sun team while being able to sustain itself without sun around. But there are some changes I would like to say.
First off for vulpix and tangela you should change overheat to fire blast for vulpix, and leaf storm to solar beam. As with heatrock these moves will be as useful as your previous moves, while allowing you to stay in longer. On the mention of the discussion of dazzling gleam vs shadow ball, I believe shadow ball is the better choice for abra, as tyrunt beats murkrow with smart play. The buff of ghost as an attacking type in all makes it superior to beat the steel types in LC such as bronzor, pawniard which is in the same boat as dazzling gleam and honedge. Your vullaby and tyrunt sets are fine, but I agree with SR on tyrunt. Fletchling is the mon I have the most problems with. Without flying gem it has lost its great niche, but now people have found bulky sets are able to somewhat maintain what it had, So this would be a great change for your team as vullaby isn't always able to defog to keep SR off the field
Fletchling @ Berry Juice
Ability: Gale Wings
Level: 5
EVs: 196 Atk / 236 HP / 20 Def / 56 SDef
Brave Nature
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
- Overheat
- Tailwind
With this set it can take some hits activate BJ and sweep or at least damage some mons for tyrunt and tangela to sweep easier. Also the lack of speed is because most mons that have priority are faster or they will be able to come in several times and wear you down. Lastly this thread can help you fix evs for some of your mons http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/ps-importable-lc-movesets.3491734/
I meant when pokebank came out and allowed gems. Also, today was my first day on smogon, so I am happy I could contribute.
Uh dude items aren't transferred though pokebank. I understand it is your first day here, but please when you try to help people be completely informed about it.

Reactions: tcr
Well I have to say this team does a nice job of doing what its meant to do as a sun team while being able to sustain itself without sun around. But there are some changes I would like to say.
First off for vulpix and tangela you should change overheat to fire blast for vulpix, and leaf storm to solar beam. As with heatrock these moves will be as useful as your previous moves, while allowing you to stay in longer. On the mention of the discussion of dazzling gleam vs shadow ball, I believe shadow ball is the better choice for abra, as tyrunt beats murkrow with smart play. The buff of ghost as an attacking type in all makes it superior to beat the steel types in LC such as bronzor, pawniard which is in the same boat as dazzling gleam and honedge. Your vullaby and tyrunt sets are fine, but I agree with SR on tyrunt. Fletchling is the mon I have the most problems with. Without flying gem it has lost its great niche, but now people have found bulky sets are able to somewhat maintain what it had, So this would be a great change for your team as vullaby isn't always able to defog to keep SR off the field
Fletchling @ Berry Juice
Ability: Gale Wings
Level: 5
EVs: 196 Atk / 236 HP / 20 Def / 56 SDef
Brave Nature
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
- Overheat
- Tailwind
With this set it can take some hits activate BJ and sweep or at least damage some mons for tyrunt and tangela to sweep easier. Also the lack of speed is because most mons that have priority are faster or they will be able to come in several times and wear you down. Lastly this thread can help you fix evs for some of your mons http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/ps-importable-lc-movesets.3491734/

Uh dude items aren't transferred though pokebank. I understand it is your first day here, but please when you try to help people be completely informed about it.
SturdyJuice boosters are a real pain, especially those with multiple hit moves like Rock Blast so Abra can't check them. Stealth Rock would definitely alleviate that issue. What move would you drop for SR on Tyrunt? I would think Ice Fang since Stone Edge is STAB and Fire Fang gets a nice boost thanks to sun. What do you think?

I will try that Fletchling set out and will implement those moveset changes on Vulpix and Tangela!

Is fletchling bulky enough to live through powerful attacks?
Well no its not a wall, its a frail sweeper. But it can take hits from things it can set up on. And it can muscle through steel types that would wall it so it doesn't need to take many unnecessary hits

Reactions: tcr

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Science your rate has burned whatever left of asian eyes I have

Anyway Patrick1088, nice team! There are a few changes that you should make on your EV spreads, however.

Tangela should have a spread of 76 HP / 236 SpA / 196 Spe Modest. You don't need more than 196 Speed EVs to max out your speed and the rest can be put into HP to boost it by one point.

Abra should also have a spread of 76 HP / 236 SpA / 196 Spe Timid. Again, only 196 Spe EVs are needed to max out Speed and the rest can be put into HP.

Fletchling's spread should be 76 HP / 196 Atk / 12 Def / 180 Spe Adamant. You don't need that much speed investment to hit max and saving all those EVs lets you boost your HP and defense by one point each, greatly increasing your bulk.

Now that I've fixed the most basic parts of the team, let's get onto synergy and movesets. One thing that I'd like to commend you for is the fact that you're using your Sun quite well, but there are ways you can further take advantage of the effect to solidify your team.

One thing I strongly suggest is for you to modify you're Tangela's set. I would use Hidden Power Fire, Solarbeam, and AncientPower instead of Giga Drain, Leaf Storm, and Sludge Bomb. Solarbeam is an absolute must not because it handles anything in particular but because it's so powerful that it's a waste not to use it. It also lets you use Tangela to sweep, not just take down one opponent and be crippled / forced to switch. The other two moves give you perfect coverage, which you lack (hitting things like Murkrow, Yanma, Steel-types, and Fire-types)

Another thing I'd suggest is Berry Juice instead of Focus Sash on Fletchling and Overheat instead of Protect on Fletchling. Focus Sash is a bad move to use with Acrobatics as you need to be hit to 1 HP, which can never be guaranteed. With the new EV spread I listed above, Fletchling has the bulk to take a few hits. With Berry Juice, it will heal up to full HP and you can Acrobatics as much as you want. Overheat is necessary over Protect because it takes advantage of Sunny Day and hits Steel-types hard. You could also run Return with Normal Gem for secondary physical STAB and another way to get rid of your item for Acrobatics.

That's all I'm going to say. Cool team!

EDIT: PS running low bulk on Fletchling is a terrible idea because it will force it to become a one time use attacker. You'll die to any faster forms of priority or you'll die to hazards / weather effects. A sash is in general a bad idea on frail, weaker Pokemon like Fletchling. Trust me, don't do it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)