1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

a team without weather :O[Help would b AWESOME :D]

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by dragonuser, Aug 7, 2011.

1. dragonuser

dragonuser Today, tomorrow, and always with a frozen heart
    is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a World Cup of Pokemon defending champion

so i made this team around gastrodon and it has done pretty well on PO. This team really has been a hit miss and miss situation so it could use some help like siwtching pokes/ moves(mayb even gastrodon :O) Weeelllllll here it is :).

[​IMG]

black monkey (Darmanitan) (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Sheer Force
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Flare Blitz
    - Rock Slide
    - Earthquake
    - U-turn

This guy is usually my lead. He just puts wholes in my opponents teams. And if my opponent uses sun this guy pretty much ohkos everything with flare blitz(after spikes). rock slide/earthquake are for coverage and u-turn is for scouting.
    Changes Considered: No

[​IMG]

silver eagle (Skarmory) (F) @ Shed Shell
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spd
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Roost
    - Spikes
    - Whirlwind
    - Brave Bird

my physical wall I bring him in on threats to gastrodon and usually set up as many layers of spikes as i can. Roost keeps him healthy and whirlwind phazes. Brave bird is to stop me from bing taunt bait.
    Changes Considered: Yes(willing to even change poke)

[​IMG]

Slowbro (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Regenerator
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Scald
    - Psychic
    - Fire Blast
    - Slack Off

upon help i changed gastrodon to slowbro. Can deal with alot of threats and can sponge physical attacks, while still doing damage. his thre offensive moves have good coverage and slack off/ regenerator keep him healthy.

[​IMG]

orange hose (Rotom-W) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Volt Switch
    - Hydro Pump
    - Hidden Power [ICE]
    - Trick
    If darmanitan isnt my lead then this guy is. He does serious damage and outsspeeds alot of common threats, especially gengar. Volt switch gives my advantageous match ups and hydro pump/ hp fire do damage and are for coverage. Trick can cripple a wall. This guy darmanitan and conk are the only real reason this team works. really im open to switching any other members but them.

[​IMG]

pink fairy (Celebi) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 252 HP / 220 SDef / 36 Spd
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Thunder Wave
    - Recover
    - Giga Drain
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    upon help have changed celebi to a more defensive set. Thunder wave can support my team, while giga drain/ hp ice can take out threats. Recover keeps him healthy.

[​IMG]

beast badger (Conkeldurr) (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Guts
    EVs: 128 HP / 252 Atk / 128 SDef
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Bulk Up
    - Mach Punch
    - Drain Punch
    - Payback
    pretty much my main counter for excadrills and the priority user on my team. All of us know how conk works you bulk up/ switch in on willowisps and proceed to sweep. payback is to hit ghosts/psychics.

well guys this is my team hope you liked it and have lots of comments cuz help is appreciated :). Im completly open to changes in movesets/pokes and feel free to offer anything. please leave comments below.

ALSO Since I never reserved a post for a threat list im going to put it here and I'm just going to post the pokes tht ive encountered and which have created problems for me, instead of every ou poke out ther. sooo here it is

THREAT LIST:(any more threats pointed out will be added to list)
    -Latios- calm mind, speccs, scarf any latios causes HUGE problems for me
    -chandelure- if darmanitan is dead than this guy can completly destroy my team(especially if he has psychic)
    -gengar- sub disable causes particular trouble but like latios all gengars cause problems.
    -venusaur/sun teams- outspeeeds and hurts my team... celebi can wall venusaur but after one or two growths(one at least o switch) it will kill celebi and my team.
    -zapdos/ thundurus- Damn these guys dont die unless im lucky enough to get a rock slide on the switch in(and thundurus isnt really a check for darmanitan) Celebi and Rotom-w's hidded power ice does like 40% this is ok on thundurus because a couple hits will make it die but if thundurus nasty plots a couple pokes are going down. Zapdos is the worst one. 40% on zapdos is easily roostable and darmanitan rock slide is too predictable and is often switched out the seccond darmanitan comes in. And switching darmanitan in on zapdos isnt a good idea because a stab thunderbolt hurts alot and usually will ko after recoil from FB and life orb and damage from SR.

POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS:(anymore options suggested will be added to list)
    -CB TTAR- counter sun/venusaur, and stone edge could hurt zapdos/ thundurus problem is no team members really benefit from sand and everyone but skarmory takes damage from sand.... I really need opinoins on whether to use him or not
    -Volcarona- counter latos/gliscor/dragons/lots of others - Is deadly but needs spin support and wouldmost likely replace celebi and likely causing skarmory to be replaced by forretress.
  2. Shining_Latios

Shining_Latios

I can see Salamence absolutely destroying your whole team. I suggest changing Gastrodon to Slowbro.

Slowbro @ Leftovers
    Trait: Regenerator
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Scald
    - Fire Blast
    - Ice Beam
    - Slack Off

With the EVs you can take damage from Mence and then Ice Beam Mence.

As for Skarmory you could change it to Blissey or Forretress. Since you wanted to set up as many layers of spikes as you can, Forretress could be a better fit.

Forretress @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 112 Atk / 144 Def
    Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spe)
    - Spikes
    - Gyro Ball
    - Rapid Spin
    - Earthquake / Explosion.

Good luck with the team!
  3. Jirachee

Jirachee killer
    is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
    RMT Co-Leader

Hey there,

I see two big issues to your team : Latios and Sun teams.The former is able to destroy your whole team with its classic Choice Specs set, your sole Dragon resist is weak to its two most common coverage move : Hidden Power Fire and Thunderbolt. Furthermore, you only have one pokémon that may outspeed it, which is Rotom-W, and its two attacking types are resisted by Latios, meaning you can't revenge kill it. Sun teams will also be a problem, especially Venusaur. The only member of your team it doesn't threaten is Darmanitan, who will get worn down quickly by Life Orb and Flare Blitz recoil, and is also weak to Stealth Rock. It isn't exactly reliable as an only check to a so big threat. Luckily enough, both threats share a same counter : Tyranitar. It is able to beat Ninteales most of the time with Pursuit or Stone Edge, while Latios will get easily smashed with Pursuit after it is locked into Draco Meteor. Since you pack very good sand counters in Conkeldurr and Skarmory, Sand Stream won't be a problem. A Choice Band set wil provide you the bulk and firepower you need. So here's the set :

Choice Band Tyranitar (open)

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
    Adamant
    Sand Stream
    EVs : 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
    -Stone Edge
    -Crunch
    -Pursuit
    -Superpower

I suggest you swap Darmanitan for it, as it won't be able to keep up with all that recoil. Also, getting Psychic on Celebi instead of Recover wouldn't be a bad idea. With it, it will be able to check a number of threats and heavily damage Venusaur, while it isn't able to OHKO you. Good luck.
  4. august

august get a grip mothafucka
    is a Smogon IRC AOPis a Tiering Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnuswon the 5th Official Smogon Tournamentis a World Cup of Pokemon defending champion

While this team is cool and all, you don't really have much reliably switching into Fighting-type attacks. Everything gets 2HKO'd by CB Terrakion, CB Infernape and other fighters. Skarmory should probably be running Shed Shell as well because without it, you're going to have a very hard time against CB Haxorus + Magnezone (Rivalry CB Outrage will still 2hko Gastrodon btw) and in general you kind of need Skarmory around to lay Spikes and pave the way for Volt Switch spamming + ridiculously over powered Flare Blitz spamming.

The quickest fix i can think of without completely changing up your team would be to run Slowbro over Gastrodon or run super Defensive Celebi (or, you could even do both!)

Slowbro is an awesome pokemon right now, Psychic takes on Fighters like Toxicroak and Conkeldurr while Surf is for Excadrill, Tyranitar, Landorus etc. Fire Blast will prevent Ferrothorn from easily Spiking on you, which is something Gastrodon cannot do. Slowbro also has an awesome ability in Regenerator. The only problem when using Slowbro is teams that spam Volt Switch + U-turn, but considering you have Skarmory and Celebi, i think you're all set (and Slowbro can OHKO Scizor on the switch anyway if necessary). Looking now i see that someone already suggested Slowbro but it definitely is a great choice for your team so just consider this a rant to help solidify its use on your team!!

Now if you do the above, you should definitely be running Recover on Celebi because its your only real switch into Rotom-w with Gastrodon now. You could even run a specially defensive Celebi to easily take care of Rotom-w and somewhat contain Thundurus. Thunder Wave Celebi would also be good to paralyze fast Scarf pokemon that think they can come in easily. With the Scarf mons all paralyzed late game, Darma and Conkelldur can go to town and KO anything thats weakened pretty easily.

If you do choose to try Celebi, try 252 HP / 36 Spe / 220 SDef with a Calm nature. The moveset is arbitrary and depends on what exactly you are looking to do. Recover is a staple and the crux of Celebi's defensive sets. Thunder Wave can be used to cripple fast pokemon but Heal Bell is also a solid choice. Hidden Power [Ice] is good for Thundurus or Gliscor, but Hidden Power [Fire] hits Scizor and Steel-types. Or you could use Earth Power if you really want to. GEnerally the STAB move on this set is Giga Drain.

So in short,
    Lefties -> Shed Shell on Skarm to beat Maggy/Haxorus teams
    Slowbro -> Gastrodon for Fighters and to be a general nuisance coupled with Skarmory
    Recover on Celebi becomes necessary. Specially defensive set is optional

All in all, cool weatherless team and i never really thought to run Spikes + LO Darma but i might have to give that a shot!
  5. dragonuser

is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a World Cup of Pokemon defending champion

ok thank you alll soooo much you advice has been invaluable.

@shining latios- I really like the slowbro idea and am going to test it. I like havig sarmory on my team but if he doesnt work out then forretress will b the poke i change him too

@jirachi- So upon advice from members I swapped gastrodon for slowbro, this leaves all but skarmory taking damage from sand, while noone is really benefiting from it. Is there another counter for a latios?

@august-thank you soo much and ur insight has been so helpful I made all the changes you recommended and am going to test them out. One question on slowbro do you recommend ice beam or psychic for my team?
  6. Shining_Latios

Shining_Latios

Your welcome. And Pyshcic because like August said, you need to deal with Fighting types. But then I do suggest you changing Hidden Power Fire on Celebi to Hidden Power Ice so you won't have problems with dragons. You have a fire type move on Slowbro anyways.
  7. dragonuser

k thanks and i guess prediction could be used if my opponent tries to bring in ferrothorn

hi well Ive recently realised that a sub disable gengar could cause some problems for my team. the only ones tht can hurt him or sarmory/rotom-w and skarmory can only brave bird(2hko) and rotom w would have to risk hydro pump and if he has sub up(like if hee subs when i switch) im screwed. I was wondering if anyone had a way i could fight him.... of course im over dramatizing and its not like he rips through my team he just causes problems and takes down at least a coupl pokes b4 i get to kill him... especially if rotom is dead
  8. august

august get a grip mothafucka
    is a Smogon IRC AOPis a Tiering Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnuswon the 5th Official Smogon Tournamentis a World Cup of Pokemon defending champion

I would run Psychic to beat Bulk Up Conkeldurr.

There isn't much you can do against Gengar barring Rotom-w Volt Switchs -> Conkelldur until it cannot Sub anymore or Conkelldur faints allowing Rotom-w to revenge kill
  9. Giobue

Giobue

I think you're team is great! :D
  10. dragonuser

Ive posted a threat/ suggestion list at the bottom of my post. If anyone has suggestions that would be greatly appreciated and are desperately needed

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)