A themed Warstory (Brock Versus Lance)

Being relatively new to competitive Pokemon battles, I’d been playing around with numerous different teams the past few weeks and battling against my friend who has a bit more experience than I do.

So be warned, it is a bit of a newb story :)

We’d played a bit of OU and made UU teams for fun. But yesterday I suggested we make themed teams based off the Anime Character’s teams, after being inspired by reading ChouToshio’s old Ash vs Cynthia warstory.

I already had a character, a team and a strategy in mind. I would be using Brock the Rock with a fantastic Stall team!

Team:

At first my opponent was set on building a Gary Oak team, but had a last minute change of heart, and I had no idea what was in store for me.

Rules:
Sleep Clause,
Species Clause,
Strict Damage Clause

VS

Lance sent out Dragonite.
Brock sent out Steelix.

- 100%
- 100%

OH, great. Lance. I knew I was in for a hell of a ride, could the sturdy bodies of my Rock Pokemon stand up to the onslaught of countless Dragons?

But wait; maybe I have a chance after all. My Steelix has Stealth Rock in it’s arsenal, which many of the Flying Dragons dislike, like the Dragonite currently staring down my Steel Snake. Furthermore, my team is built to set up entry hazards and phaze for maximum frustration. Without considering what attacks my opponent may be carrying, I select Stealth Rock and the battle begins!

Turn #1

Dragonite used Earthquake.
It's super effective!
Steelix lost 46% of its health.
Dragonite lost 10% of its health.
Steelix used Stealth Rock.
Steelix's leftovers restored its health a little!
Steelix restored 6% of its health.

---

- 60%
- 100%

Ouch, even with his 200 defensive base stat, Steelix takes a heavy hit. But Stealth Rocks are up, and Steelix certainly has enough Hp left to take another Earthquake. I have a few options here, setting a Sandstorm would deal some extra damage but would leave my Steelix as nothing but death fodder later in the game. I’m going to have to preserve my Steel types to tank the oh-so predictable Outrages I’ll have to endure. I can Stone Edge Dragonite and dish some damage, but I doubt it will be enough to secure the OHKO on Dragonite. Instead, I choose to Roar, and start raking up some entry hazard damage.

Turn #2

Dragonite used Fire Blast.
Dragonite's attack missed!
Steelix used Roar.
Lance switched in Altaria.
Pointed stones dug into Altaria.

Altaria lost 25% of its health.
Altaria's leftovers restored its health a little!
Altaria restored 6% of its health.

---

- 66%
- 81%

Well, that could have gone a lot worse. I certainly did not expect Dragonite to be carrying both Physical and Special attacks. Luckily for me, the Fire Blast misses and the first major threat is tucked back in his pokeball. Now that Altaria is out, I feel significantly less threatened and take the chance to set up a Sandstorm.

Turn #3

Altaria used Perish Song.
Both Pokemon will faint in 3 turn(s)
Steelix used Sandstorm.
A sandstorm brewed!
Altaria is buffetted by the sandstorm!
Altaria lost 6% of its health.

---

- 72% Perish Count 3

- 87% Perish Count 3

Perish Song seriously limits my Steelix’s phazing abilities, he’ll have to switch out in a few turns. But in the mean time, I plan on teaching that pesky bird a lesson it won’t soon forget.

Turn #4

Lance switched in Garchomp.
Pointed stones dug into Garchomp.
Garchop lost 6% of its health.
Steelix used Stone Edge.
It's not very effective...
Garchomp lost 10% of its health.
The sandstorm rages.

---

- 78% Perish Count 2

- 84%

As if things couldn’t get any worse! Garchomp will prove to be a huge obstacle to overcome, and only taking 6% from Stealth Rocks makes Phazing it to hell out of the question. I don’t know what set Garchomp is running, but I don’t plan on Steelix finding out.

Turn #5

Garchomp used Substitute.
Garchomp lost 25% of its health.
Steelix used Roar.
Lance switched in Gyarados.
Pointed stones dug into Gyarados.
Gyarados lost 25% of its health.
The sandstorm rages.
Gyarados's leftovers restored its health a little!
Gyarados restored 6% of its health.

---
- 59%

-
- 84% Perish Count 1
- 75%

That couldn’t have gone better, obviously not feeling threatened by Steelix, Garchomp takes the time to set up, which costs it 25% of it’s health as Steelix gets it’s roar on again to send him flying.

Yet everytime I Roar, I get more and more afraid of my opponents revealed team so far. With Dragonite and Garchomp being big threats already, this Gyarados has the ability to sweep my entire team with a DD under it’s belt. The only pokemon I have that can survive the hits are Forretress and Blissey, but neither of them can hit back hard enough to kill Gyarados; unless…

Turn #6

Brock switched in Forretress.
Gyarados used Dragon Dance.
Gyarados's attack was raised.
Gyarados's speed was raised.
The sandstorm rages.

---

- 100%
- 75% Attack +1 Speed +1

Just as I expected, Gyarados gets a free DD. But I had no choice, with Steelix’s perish count at 1 the most I could hope to do was hit Gyarados with an intimidated Stone Edge. I’ll need Steelix alive to tank the Outrages from Garchomp later.
With Forretress on the field, my options are rather limited. Forretress serves as a spiker and spinner, as well as using protect to scout for fire type moves to boost my secret weapon. His only other attacking move is Explosion, and I’m glad I chose it over Payback in this instance.

Turn #7

Gyarados used Waterfall.
Forretress lost 38% of its health.
Forretress used Explosion.
Gyarados lost 75% of its health.
Lance's Gyarados fainted.
Brock's Forretress fainted.
The sandstorm stopped.

---

- Exploded
- KO'd

5-5

With one of my Steel walls down, things got a little harder for me. Why did I choose to explode Forretress you ask? Gyarados has the potential to sweep my entire team, and with a team of flying and levitating Dragons, spikes were useless in this battle anyway. Silver lining I suppose.

Still, I feel I have the advantage, my opponent knows only one of my pokemon, and I know three of his remaining pokemon. Even with the knowledge of my opponents team, I still have no clue how to win this fight. The only sweeper in my team is a fire type, which does not bode well against Dragons.

I decide to send Steelix back into the fray and keep the remainder of my team secret for now.

Turn #8

Lance switched in Dragonite.
Brock switched in Steelix.
Pointed stones dug into Dragonite.
Dragonite lost 25% of its health.
Dragonite used Fire Blast.
It's super effective!
Steelix lost 85% of its health.
Brock's Steelix fainted.

---

- Melted
- 65%

5-4

Oh, forgot about that. Sorry Steelix, I’ve failed you. Things are looking grim now, with my last Steel Type down, I’m staring down the face of an eminent Outrage Sweep. Further more, Steelix was my only sandstormer, why oh why don’t you have a Hippwodon/Tyranitar, Brock? With my primary phazer gone, I’m going to have to send in a backup.

Turn #9

Brock switched in Swampert.
Dragonite used Draco Meteor.
Swampert lost 88% of its health.
Dragonite's special attack was harshly lowered.
Swampert used Roar.
Lance switched in Garchomp.
Pointed stones dug into Garchomp.
Garchomp lost 6% of its health.
Swampert's leftovers restored its health a little!
Swampert restored 6% of its health.

---

- 55%
-
- 18%
- 53%

Ugh, things are looking bad, Swampert is critically weakened and Garchomp is back on the field. It doesn’t take a genius to predict what’s going to happen next. With no safe switch ins, I can do nothing but try to let Swampert rest off the damage incase Garchomp tries to set up another Substitute, then hope Sleep Talk chooses Roar.

Turn #10

Garchomp used Outrage.
Swampert lost 18% of its health.
Brock's Swampert fainted.

---

- Washed up
- 53% Outrage

5-3

I had it coming. My only option now is to weather the Outrage and force Garchomp back out.

Turn #11

Brock switched in Blissey.
Blissey used Protect.
Garchomp used Outrage.
Blissey protected itself!
Garchomp's rampage ended.
Garchomp became confused!

---

- 100%
- 53% Confused

Thank you, Brock, for owning a Chansey. Protect sees the end of Garchomp’s Outrage, and Garchomp is in for a bit of a surprise.

Turn #12

Garchomp is confused!
It hurt itself in its confusion!
Garchomp lost 13% of its health.
Blissey used Wish.

---

- 100%
- 40% Confused

Blissey gets a free wish thanks to confusion, and Garchomp creeps ever closer to his doom. I can’t cripple Garchomp with Thunder Wave, and I know my opponent does not feel threatened by my little pink blob. I mean who would? She’s so cute and squishy.

Turn #13

Garchomp snapped out of confusion!
Garchomp used Substitute.
Garchomp lost 25% of its health.
Blissey used Seismic Toss.
The substitute took damage for Garchomp!
The wish came true!
Garchomp's Salac Berry raised its speed!

---

- 100%
- 15% Speed +1

Garchomp wastes another 25% of it’s HP, and is nearing the end of it’s lifespan. Wish failed since Blissey was still full HP, so I guess the hax is evened out now. Unfortunately confusion has ended, which can only mean one thing.

Turn #14

Garchomp used Outrage.
Blissey lost 56% of its health.
Blissey used Seismic Toss.
Garchomp lost 15% of its health.
Lance's Garchomp fainted.

---

- 50%
- Uber my ass

4-3

Blissey does a Charizard and scores the KO on Garchomp, not much else to say here. Blissey took a hefty hit, but I’m glad I chose an attack/defence EV spread over a Special Defensive spread. Garchomp goes back to his pokeball with hurt pride.

Turn #15

Lance switched in Salamence
Pointed stones dug into Salamence.
Salamence lost 25% of its health.
Salamence used Draco Meteor.
Blissey lost 33% of its health.
Salamence's special attack was harshly lowered.
Salamence lost 10% of its health.
Blissey used Wish.

---

- 23%
- 75%

Oh God a Salamence. Please, just put me out of my misery now. Seems I was too quick to celebrate the defeat of Garchomp, now I have to take care of yet another Uber dragon. I’m ever grateful to Steelix for getting those Stealth Rocks up on the first turn. It will make bringing down this titan just that much easier. Now, lets see if we can’t cripple this Salamence.

Turn #16

Blissey used Protect.
Salamence used Outrage.
The wish came true!
Blissey restored 50% of its health.

---

- 79%
- 75% Outrage

First I scout out it’s attack, probably wasn’t the wisest of moves considering Salamence could have Dragon Danced for free, but Blissey blocks the Outrage and gets a little health back. Just enough to survive the next hit.

Turn #17

Salamence used Outrage.
Blissey lost 63% of its health.
Salamence lost 10% of its health.
Blissey used Thunder Wave.
Salamence is paralysed! It may be unable to move!

---

- 22%
- 65% Outrage + Paralysed

Blissey you beast, tanking Garchomp and Salamence like a man and crippling them both. With Life Orb draining away at Salamence’s HP I know he won’t survive too many switch ins, time to stall out this Outrage and hopefully get a safe switch in myself.

Turn #18

Blissey used Protect.
Salamence used Outrage.
Blissey protected itself!

---

- 28%
- 65% Outrage + Paralysed

Outrage continues? Huh, I thought it was only three turns. Considering my Blissey’s poor condition, I know she doesn’t have enough left in her to take another Outrage, and with one hidden pokemon in my opponent’s arsenal, I’m not ready to sacrifice her just yet. There is one pokemon I am willing to let go, though. There are still two unknown pokemon on my side of the field.

Turn #19

Brock switched in Crobat.
Salamence is paralysed! It can't move!
Salamence's rampage ended.
Salamence became confused!

---

- 100%

- 65% Confused + Paralysed

Crobat gets his free switch in courtesy of Blissey’s Thunder Wave. Looks like Crobat will have a part to play in this match after all, Salamence is starting to look pretty weak but I’m not convinced my Crobat will be able to KO it, rather than risking taking an Outrage, I decide to rid myself of the menace for now.

Turn #20

Crobat used Whirlwind.
Lance switched in Dragonite.
Pointed stones dug into Dragonite.
Dragonite lost 25% of its health.

---

- 62%
-
- 100%
- 21%

Lance attempts to bring Altaria back in, perhaps to try scare off my Crobat with Perish Song again. That bird is becoming a thorn in my side, but Whirlwind quickly puts Altaria on the bench again and brings out the final hurdle. Assuming my opponents last pokemon is not even more horrifying than the previous three. None the less, the Stealth Rock weakened Dragonite is in range of a KO by Crobat.

Turn #21

Dragonite used Extremespeed.
Crobat lost 42% of its health.
Crobat used Brave Bird.
Dragonite lost 11% of its health.
Lance's Dragonite fainted.
Crobat was hit by recoil!
Crobat lost 3% of its health.
Crobat's leftovers restored its health a little!
Crobat restored 6% of its health.

---
- 61%
- KO'd

3-3

Dragonite gets a final love tap on Crobat before joining Garchomp on the back seat. I’m starting to get confident I can win this one, with the scores evening out and Salamence and Altaria’s HP dwindling away. Crobat is faster than Altaria and the crippled Salamence, this should be easy.

Turn #22

Altaria used Roost.
Altaria restored 50% of its health.
Crobat used Whirlwind.
Lance switched in Salamence.

---
- 87%
-
- 67%
- 40% Paralysed

Thanks to Whirlwind’s Negative priority, I let Altaria get a roost in. But no matter, with Salamence back in it’s time to rack up some more damage. Crobat is hungry for some more Dragon Blood, but Salamence still has too much HP to take out just yet, if I can get a whirlwind in Salamence will be too weak to survive another switch in.

Turn #23

Salamence is paralysed! It can't move!
Crobat used Whirlwind.
Lance switched in Charizard.
Pointed stones dug into Charizard.
Charizard lost 50% of its health.

---

- 73%
- 50%

Salamence goes out, and Lance’s final pokemon comes in, taking a hefty blow from the Rocks. If this is a Bellyzard variety Charizard; that might explain why it was kept at bay until Crobat forced it out. I no longer have to fear a Bellydrum from Charizard, and decide to cripple it instead before continuing to Phaze.

Turn #24

Crobat used Toxic.
Charizard was badly poisoned!
Charizard used Fire Blast.
Crobat lost 73% of its health.
Brock's Crobat fainted.
Charizard lost 10% of its health.
Charizard is hurt by poison!
Charizard lost 6% of its health.

---

- Burnt to a crisp

- 34% Badly Poisoned

3-2

I kicked myself for this mistake, if I had phazed Charizard out he would have died on the next switch in. But I later realised that with Whirlwind’s negative priority, Crobat was doomed regardless, and getting Toxic onto Charizard was the far more effective choice for whittling it away.

Now I have two options left, Blissey and my trumpcard, Ninetales, left, versus Altaria, a weakened Salamence and a poisoned Charizard. I was feeling very confident despite being down one pokemon. Ninetales could absorb a fireblast and boost it’s own fire attacks, but with only Flamethrower and Energy Ball at it’s disposal, Ninetales won’t do a lot to Charizard. This Charizard is carrying a Life Orb, so I cannot force a switch in with Flash Fire. I decide to let Blissey soak up the fire. She is a special tank after all, right? She might as well take some special attack damage this game.

Turn #25

Brock switched in Blissey.
Charizard used Brick Break.
It's super effective!
Blissey lost 29% of its health.
Brock's Blissey fainted.
Charizard lost 12% of its health.

---
- Broken
- 12% Badly Poisoned

Huh… Brick Break on a specially inclined Charizard? Perhaps it’s more of a mixed wall breaker set. A bit too late to ponder that now, I only have one pokemon left versus three. All of my bravado had left me at this point, one Ninetales versus three Dragons.

Turn #26

Brock switched in Ninetales.
Ninetales used Nasty Plot.
Ninetales's special attack was sharply raised.
Charizard used Brick Break.
Ninetales lost 26% of its health.
Charizard lost 3% of its health.
Lance's Charizard fainted.

---

- 74% Sp. Attack +2
- Crobat gets the last laugh.

This is why I opted for a bulkier spread on my Ninetales. Eat your heart out, Houndoom. Thankfully, Charizard succumbs to poison damage, and Ninetales is pumped up with Nasty Plot and ready to sweep. Pity Charizard didn’t try to Fireblast me, I guess Lance is wise to Flash Fire. It would be foolish to rely on a FF boost anyway.

Turn #27

Ninetales used Flamethrower.
Altaria lost 33% of its health.
Ninetales lost 10% of its health.
Altaria used Perish Song.

---

- 64% Sp. Attack +2 Perish Count 3
- 29% Perish Count 3

End of the line, Ninetales. I knew that damn bird would come back at me.

Can Ninetales finish this match in three turns to secure victory for Brock? Or will Lance’s Dragons prove too hot to handle? Find out in the next episode!

Turn #28

Altaria lost 30% of its health.
Lance's Altaria fainted.
Ninetales lost 10% of its health.

---

- 54% Sp. Attack +2 Perish Count 2
- Cooked

Two turns, one Salamence. You do the math.

Turn #29

Lance switched in Salamence.
Salamence lost 6% of its health.
Lance's Salamence fainted.

- 54% Sp. Attack +2 Perish Count 2
- KO'd

Brock wins!

Ashes: Brock > Lance
Qbone: Because of the POWER OF FRIENDSHIP

Props:
Steelix for risking a fire blast to the face to set up Stealth Rocks;
Forretress for removing one of the biggest opposing threats;
Crobat for phasing the hell out of my opponent.
Brock, for owning a Chansey
Mixed Charizard giving Blissey just deserts
QBone for running some unpredictable sets. I swear I nearly wet myself, three Pseudo-Legendary Dragons D:

Slops:
Being reckless with my Steelix vs Fire Blast. I still have a lot to learn about movesets.
Garchomp for using half it’s HP on wasted Substitutes.
Not using enough Rock types. For shame, Brock, for shame.
Bit of Parahax and Fireblast miss.
Not much prediction on my part. I guess that comes from being new at this.

I really enjoyed this match, and found my Themed Team quite fun to use, I might run it for a while longer.

QBone/Lance’s team:

My first War Story, and I think a few of my percentage totals don't add up. I calculated them all myself so there may be some errors. I felt it was good enough to finally stop lurking and create an account. Constructive critism for both the story and my battling ability is welcome. :)

Erazor

✓ Just Doug It
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Well... It looked like both of you aren't experienced at all. Not expecting mixnite? Running brick break on charizard? Sandstorm on steelix?

It was a fairly average warstory. At least you put effort into this, so props for that.

Athenodoros

Official Smogon Know-It-All
I really anjoyed this actually. Despite the lack of experience, I think this kind of warstory isn't really for the standard format of predictions and counter-predictions, but more for fun using anime characters. Also, props to you for beating a team of dragons with a team as average as Brock's.

Honestly I think this is a good first post, barring the rawness of both of you. I really like themed warstories, and you put effort in yours so good job. Keep writing them! :)

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well its an interesting First post. Although the warstory was slightly poor I really liked the effort you put into it (sprites, percentages) which meant it was not terrible. Basically with a better battle and some experience I think you can write an even better warstory

for a first post, job well done. the themes kept it interesting and even if you two arent the greatest players, the battle still seemed pretty even.

I really liked this as well. Theme teams are a weakness of mine. There were misplays, but honestly they didn't bother me. The commentary was even-handed and well-delivered. This was a good read on its own rights and an excellent base on which to build future battle (and warstory) experience. Give us another one soon. :)

at first i was gonna say the warstory was average at best. But then i realised that it wasn't. Sure the battle wasn't too exciting per se, and you still have to learn a little about movesets, but the warstory was very, very well written and i really enjoyed the fact that it was a themed battle. The fact that you won against a team without using the true benefits of stall was really impressive (except SR). I reckon that you're an excellent writer, and look forward to reading another one :)

Very well done, it was your first post, a themed team and all that jazz, some lack of experience hurted but just a tiny bit, very good overall, once you get more experienced and truly competitive battles post again :)

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I can see that you have a lot to learn with pokemon in terms of skill, but that was very well written and interesting to read. Keep on practising your writing and your battling and I'm sure you'll have archive worthy warstories in no time!

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
The warstory was very well written. The fact that your play was awful (no boom on steelix and yet boom on forry, roaring instead of ice beaming/stone edging for multiple missed koes... Your opponent Draco meteoring a blissey...) made it very difficult to read, but, as far as the writing is concerned, fantastic job (the fact that you made THAT battle interesting tells how good the writing is).

How in-depth were you going with the themed teams? Was it pokemon only, or did you copy movesets from the anime as well? That could explain some of the weird movesets mentioned above. Also, I think many of the questionable plays could be attributed to overprediction, especially by your opponent (using Draco Meteor expecting Blissey to switch out of the certain KO from Outrage, using Substitute hoping for some Sand Veil hax with Garchomp, etc.).

Despite the strategic and tactical deficiencies, I enjoyed the battle, and the comments were great. I look forward to seeing a more competitive battle in the future!

This warstory was pretty well-written. The battle itself had some strange moves though. The one that stuck out for me was when your opponent used earthquake on Steelix instead of fire blast. Had fire blast hit, your Steelix would have been toast, it wouldn't have laid down stealth rocks, and this match would have turned out much, much differently.

I really enjoyed this warstory, good to see some people using fun themed teams. Especially enjoyed the terror you showed in facing down all those dragons :)

You are new so I will not pester you about mis plays =P. I liked the story though. Your effort was amazing and comments were good too. Once you get into the metagame you have to write more of these =D

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, you made a few mistakes, but at least you put the effort into the warstory, the commentary was top class, but battle itself wasn't. With a little more experience, you will be posting archive-worthy stories in no time! :)

You know what, for not being all too experienced, you did a great job and you kept me entertained. I did not expect that win, and to be honest I don't remember Lance using Garchomp but I'm sure I could be wrong. If not, he didn't go through with the character bio, you get extra points for having an underestimated team.

An entertaining read. Good formatting and pretty good commentary, even if the battle wasn't the greatest. Had a pretty great ending, though, what with Ninetales' Perish Count stopping at 1. Unless I'm wrong about 4th gen mechanics, one more turn and it would have been a tie.

Anyways, good stuff. I look forward to more from you.

Great presentation and nice originality. The battle itself wasn't that great but that's to be expected when you're relatively new.
Well done for a first warstory ^^

I didn't like the misplays, but you're relatively new, so that's to be expected. Anyway, I liked the themes and comments, which really kept me entertained, and I also liked how the Pokemon differed a bit from the norm (Bulkier Blissey and Ninetales). My only other nitpick is the suspense part near the end. Even though it fits for an anime battle, I personally think that they're used too much (and I therefore hate them). Overall, great job!

I enjoyed it, and keep on writing, Ashes. The stranger movesets actually made me enjoy this, instead of perfect predictions or paranoia. Hopefully you'll keep on writing warstories, I liked this one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)