1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

A Tyranitar idea (sweeping lure)

Discussion in 'Historical Threads' started by Random Matt, May 23, 2012.

1. Random Matt

Random Matt

This is a set I've come up with rather quickly to solve a few troubles my current team is having. I'd appriciate some thoughts on how effective it may be, any thoughts on things I've missed etc.

So what I'm thinking of doing is using Tyranitar as a combined lure/sweeper, based on it's useable Special Attack and Rock Polish. It is basically a Rock Polish variant on the Mixed Attacker set already listed here: http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/tyranitar

[​IMG]

Name: Polished Lure
    Nature: Rash/Modest (Rash if using any physical attack, Modest otherwise)
    Item: Expert Belt/Life Orb/Shuca Berry
    EVs: 24 HP, 252 SpA, 232 Spe
    Stats Reached: 347 Hp, 273/304 Att, 256 Def, 317 SpA, 212/236 SpD, 216 Spe
    Moves:
    Rock Polish
    Flamethrower/Fire Blast
    Icebeam
    Superpower/Crunch/Thunderbolt/Brick Break

The idea of this set is to outspeed max speed Aerodactyl/Jolteon and +1 max speed Gyarados after a Rock Polish and proceed to butcher the switch-in with an unexpected and super-effective special attack, and proceed from there. Hopefully smashing through a few more pokemon as they scramble to find something you cannot KO.

The choice for the 4th slot is between Superpower - being a physical attack with alot of power and coverage but reducing Attack and Defense (you all know Superpower! :D) -, a STAB Dark attack in Crunch and Thunderbolt - which tackles water types. However I would advise against Thunderbolt if using Shuca Berry as it misses a number of notable KOs without an item boost, such as the 2HKO on Vaporeon/Suicune, which it would get with an Expert Belt. I have discounted Dark Pulse as I think it is an inferior option to Crunch when Superpower isn't present to provide some physical damage. Brick Break is also an option as Superpower doesn't net any notable OHKO's or 2HKO's that Brick Break doesn't get (as far as I've seen so far), and has the advantage of breaking the opponents screens and not lowing Tyranitars attack and defense.

Flamethrowerand Icebeam both hit common counters, such as Gliscor/Dragonite/Flygon/Hippowdon/Scizor/Skarmory/Metagross/Forretress. Fire Blast is for use in conjunction with Life Orb to get a probable OHKO on Metagross (usually still possible but less likely with Expert Belt, not possible with Expert Belt against max-HP Metagross).

Expert Belt is the item to go for here, netting a bunch of useful 1/2HKOs. Life Orb is useable for even more damage and a boost when not supereffective, but the recoil will likely end Tyranitars mischeif early. Even Tyranitar with Timid/Jolly nature, 252EVs in Speed and a Rock Polish boost cannot catch Choice Scarf Flygon, so a Shuca Berry may be used to reduce the damage of the inevitable Earthquake.

ALTERNATIVELY: Replace Rock Polish with one of the other 4th slot options (so same moves as standard Mixed Attacker) and rely on something to Baton Pass +2 Speed. Ninjask, Gliscor and Zapdos all spring to mind. Ninjask having no common weaknesses with Tyranitar and Gliscor only sharing a Water weakness. Zapdos is particularly good as its STAB Thunderbolt scares away those pesky Water types, and it is resistance or immune to all of Tyranitars weaknesses except for (guess what!) Water. If Baton Passing to Tyranitar and expecting a switch, use Flamethrower (or Fire Blast) first to potentially avoid taking a Bullet Punch to the knee.

Potential problems (that I've seen so far, please point out others!):
    Swampert; enough said there.
    Kingdra; possibly bye-bye SS. STAB Water, not weak to anything Tyranitar is carrying.
    Infernape; doesn't take any super-effective hits and can hit back with 4x STAB Fighting.
    Blissey; a thunderwave would be ruinous, but it won't enjoy superpower (this may be an ideal oportuinity to switch in Gliscor and set back up, perhaps get in a swords dance this time?)
    Metagross; the sheer power of Meteor Mash + priority from Bullet Punch is going to hurt a lot, and it has enough bulk to take a flamethrower (even after SR damage a OHKO is unlikely)
    Machamp; Can take a hit (needs two Fire Blasts to kill it) and reply with Dynamicpunch

Thanks for any feedback!
  2. Random Matt

Random Matt

3. george182

george182

The main problem I see is why wouldn't you just use dragon dance. Jolteon and Aerodactyl really aren't that common and Tyranitar gets so much more power with a physical set. I just don't think the gain in speed is worth the huge loss of damage and the loss of damage also means T-tar is sweeping through much less stuff. The DD-shuca set, isn't hurt too much by Aerodactyl/Jolteon anyway and is much more threatening imo.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)