A whole NU world!

So, I've been playing around in NU with this team for a while, gotten some victories and some losses too. I feel as if I have most of the stuff a team could need and something is sort of 'holding me back'. So now I present to you my current NU showdown team. Also, please keep in mind that this is my first RMT submission so there may be things wrong with it.
EDITS ARE IN RED

The line up:

Details:

Torterra @ Leftovers
Trait: Overgrow
EVs: 156 HP / 252 Atk / 100 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Synthesis
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Wood Hammer
This guy has been useful to my team since I put him on there. He is an all round pokémon capable of setting up hazards, dealing tons of damage and even taking plenty of physical hits. He can also hit many leads for plenty of damage such as Regirock, Garbodor and Golem. But here's the best part, once you've put up hazards, you can set up a sub and go on a mini rampage and kill whatever they bring in to beat you. This guy is nothing but useful on my team and I don't see any other pokémon to fill his position.

Absol @ Life Orb
Trait: Super luck
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Sucker punch
- Night slash
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Absol is my trapper, revenge killer and potent late game sweeper all in one. He's incredibly versatile in what he performs for my team and keeps Musharnas and Duosions away with night slash. Any steel/rock/ice types that get switched in afterwards get a nasty suprise.

Mr. Mime @ Life Orb
Trait: Filter
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
- Nasty Plot
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Substitute
So when Mr. Mime isn't putting up walls to phase his opponents, he is my special sweeper with plenty of damage even without Nasty Plot. The Psychic/Focus blast combo allows Mr. Mime to hit almost anything for neutral damage (barring Sableye and Spiritomb who are locked away in higher tiers). The only downfall to this Mr. Mime set is his inability to hit Psychic types, but thats where Baton Pass comes in, Mr. Mime can Baton pass his +2 (and sometime sub) to Glaceon who can take them down with shadow ball. Mr. Mime works pretty darn well with my team, it would be hard to play without him.

Muk @ Black Sludge
Trait: Sticky Hold
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Shadow Sneak
- Ice Punch
- Substitute
While I don't care much for Muk's looks, I do care for his amazing special defense and attack potential. Muk serves as my special wall and sometime curse sweeper. Due to Muks plethora of resistances he has plenty of opportunities to force switches and use curse. After about 2 curses Muk can easily 2 or 1 hit KO anything in the tier while easily taking hits from his opponents. Unfortunately Rest is his only recovery but he doesn't take much damage after the curses.

Glaceon @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Ice Body
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Shadow Ball
- Blizzard (for the additional damage)
Glaceon is hands down my favourite pokémon on the team, Glaceon is a superb revenge killer and works well with Mr. Mime in taking down opponents. The scarf makes up for Glaceons Mediocre speed while sacrificing a bit of excess power, which it didn't need anyway. Glaceon can still 2HKO Some of the bulkiest pokemon like regirock with the scarf. Because of the newly acquainted speed, i've come back from 1-3 situations to win without taking a scratch.

Ursaring (F) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Quick Feet
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Facade
- Crunch

The Ursaring I once removed is back and ready for action with a killer swords dance set (presented to me by celever). He used to be a late game clean up sweeper, but now he's my lead. Set up a swords dance while they set up stealth rock and your mini-sweep can begin. For example at +2 without a status, Facade does a nice 39% chunk against Tangela and 78% with the active toxic orb! If that's not power, I don't know what is, To further prove my point you can do a minimum of 56%-67% on a maximum defense Relicanth with Close Combat.

Importable
Torterra @ Leftovers
EVs: 156 HP / 252 Atk / 100 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Synthesis
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Wood Hammer

Absol @ Lansat berry
Jolly Nature
- Focus energy
- Night slash
- Psycho cut
- Shadow claw

Mr. Mime @ Life Orb
Trait: Filter
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
- Nasty Plot
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Substitute

Muk @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Shadow Sneak
- Substitute
- Ice Punch

Glaceon @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Ice Body
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Shadow Ball
- Blizzard

Ursaring (F) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Quick Feet
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Facade
- Crunch

This is my current NU team, any suggestions or criticisms are welcome and appreciated. I currently stand at about 1650 with this team so something else to give it the extra 'push' would be useful. Thank you!

torterra / quick feet ursaring / mr. mime / curse muk / choice scarf glaceon / kangaskhan

duosion and musharna looks like they really give your team a hard time. your best bet, glaceon, can't even reliably 2HKO musharna at +0 while both of them could boost to +1 as glaceon comes in and not really care about anything thrown at them at that point. i would try out absol over ursaring so you have a way to hit them hard. ursaring is a little redundant with kangaskhan and it's not really as strong as other normal-types without guts. absol also acts as a last-ditch check to some other threats since it has a powerful sucker punch.

i also feel that using silk scarf on kangaskhan will benefit by giving it some staying power throughout the match since life orb really wears it down and it is your most reliable priority user. in addition, it should really use return or double-edge over body slam. the paralysis chance may be nice, but it needs the damage output.

i am also not sure what substitute or the EV spread does for torterra. you could use synthesis and wood hammer over substitute and seed bomb, or you could just run stone edge over substitute so you have a nice way to hit flying-types that could otherwise switch in so easily. for the EVs, a spread of 180 hp / 252 atk / 76 spe should work out. i don't understand what the special defense EVs help out with, so dumping it in HP is good to just give it overall bulk. 76 spe helps it get the jump on uninvested base 65s, like alomomola. more speed can be used at your discretion if you want to outspeed things like golurk which can be quite annoying with ice punch and dynamicpunch.

summary:
synthesis & wood hammer or stone edge 180 hp / 252 atk / 76 spe torterra / absol quick feet ursaring / mr. mime / curse muk / choice scarf glaceon / silk scarf return or double-edge kangaskhan

Torterra @ Leftovers
EVs: 180 HP / 252 Atk / 76 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Synthesis or Stone Edge
- Wood Hammer
- Earthquake

Absol @ Life Orb
Trait: Super Luck
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Night Slash
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Hey there :) The team overall looks pretty cool, quite offensive (which I like), but I think I can spot some problems.

SR Torterra / Quick Feet Ursaring / NP Mr. Mime / Curse Muk / Scarf Glaceon / Kangaskhan

First off, the thing I notice is a big fighting type weakness. While Mr. Mime and Muk both resist fighting types, Mr. Mime has horrendus defense while Muk, having a mediocre 75 defense, won't be taking physical hits that well either. Because of this, I recommend Garbodor over Muk. If you'd rather keep muk, you could substitute another pokemon for Alomomola, which also sports high physical bulk and also has the advantage of wish passing. One problem is, Alomomola is mostly setup bait and doesn't have support moves such as (toxic/)spikes and clear smog (I guess, since you wouldn't really attack with clear smog)

I agree on most of the things ium already mentioned, except that you also have the option of substituting Absol for Kangaskhan if you would rather have a fearsome late game sweeper.

For now, that's all I can think of; feel free to ignore my suggestions if you feel that it's actually being a burden to your playstyle; after all, it's your team, and I hope you could use it successfully.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor

Funnily enough I actually run that Ursaring set, except that I have swords dance over protect, oddly, as a recommendation on my rate my team - and let me tell you, it works great! Quick feet is, in my opinion, one of the deadliest leads in the whole of NU. The opponent almost always set up rocks first turn, so it's a free turn to raise your attack stat and then toxic orb kicks in and doubles speed. It is literally a fast, powerful sweeper capable of holding its own in even UU, and sometimes OU that ended up in the tier of NU. Use it. PLEASE

Changes for Ursaring:
Protect --> Swords dance.

Please use my Ursaring lead, sweep, let him faint then bring in a stealth rock setter and proceed as normal... obviously starting with...

I'll be straight with you, the current Torterra set is OK at best. Seed bomb doesn't pack enough punch, substitute is lliterally a wasted attack and earthquakem while obviously a great move, leaves Torterra completely open to flying types. And in NU, there are som many flying types. Funnily enough, or maybe just that torterra's choices are limited, but my new set is the same as ium's... Listed in order of importance... Top one you pretty much MUST, his current move is useless, and the third one is sort of optional.

List of changes for Torterra:
Substitute --> Synthesis
Seed bomb --> Wood hammer
Earthquake --> Stone edge

Mr. mime is good.. baton pass? No. Just no. I see what you were trying to do, but a whole slot that literally checks one type is a move-slot wasted, especially when you have a set-up move that you could easily use well with substitute. It's very good with Mr. mime and nasty plot since mime has good speed and decent attack, pretty much ensuring a boost and probably taking down 2 pokemon after with your perfect near coverage!

Also your description for Mr. mime is weird. You put (and sometimes sub) in brackets there for something you can baton pass even though he doesn't know substitute, and you also said: "So when Mr. Mime isn't putting up walls to phase his opponents," yet he doesn't know how to set up walls!

Changes for Mr. mime:
Baton pass --> Substitute

While I'm no expert on muk, I do know that poison is horrible for offensive STAB (only Super-effective on grass) and while brick break is good... it's just too weak! Special walls in NU are rather rare, but I can't make use of this thing's move-pool offensive wise! His moves are very bad, but a pretty good set I could make would have to be:

Curse
Shadow sneak
Substitute
Ice punch

Basically you want to set up substitute, and then use curse as many times as you can! The speed stat being lowered is remedied completely by shadow sneak, which always goes first, and it just raises it's defense and attack to dangerous levels. Ice punch is there for coverage, you know, flying, hitting normals hard since shadow sneak can't, and, most importantly, the rock and ground types! This get's rid of a large weakness of Muk's, behind a substitute it WILL survive and with the curse boosting it's attack it should definitely OHKO - unless it has the ever so common sturdy in which you have shadow sneak. On paper this actually looks very good, and I might even try it on my team!

Changes for muk... well..
Shadow sneak, substitute, ice punch and curse as the set. They don't really go with the other set since the other set is bad. Very bad.

Glaceon is good. I wandered about signal beam though, however there seems no other decent moves. HP ground is a weird on an ice type though, I can onyl guess it's for fire types, but surely rock is better? I suppose ground is good on steel as well, however, tell me the last offensive steel type in NU you saw! Ground is SE on electric, steel, rock, poison and fire. Rock is SE on fire, flying, ice and bug. The second type's SE damage's typed pokemon are far more common in NU - or generally minus poison which is generally bad - so that is why ground is better.

Changes for Glaceon:
Hidden power rock --> Hidden power ground

Kanghaskan I have no experience in, and is honestly just another average normal type stuck in NU. Simple. Other people will have suggestions for him hopefully. I'm just going to say this now. Too much normal. Fake out and life orb is never a good idea. Drain punch and life orb is contradictory. Sucker punch is fine. Body slam should certainly be double edge. And yeah... A complete mess I think. Maybe Critical absol over kangaskhan:
@ Lansat berry
Focus energy
Night slash
Psycho cut
Shadow claw / Slash

:) Hope you enjoyed this rate!!! :)

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Just going to pop in here and back ium's changes over celever's with a couple of my own. Your team, like a lot of offensive teams, has a bit of a problem with Sawk, especially either of the choice sets. The only Pokemon that can really take a hit is Muk, and even then it can't always take 2 Adamant CB Close Combats (and definitely not with hazards). Mr. Mime is a really underrated threat in the metagame but I'm not sure it really fits on this team. I think you should replace it with a more defensive Psychic-type to complement Muk more, like CM Duosion. That allows you to take the pressure off Muk to deal with every Fighting-type, and nets you more opportunities to set it up, which I'm going to assume is your "end goal" of the team.

I'm also not sure exactly what Signal Beam on Glaceon really does for you. It hits Snover SE... but Psychic-types are covered by Shadow Ball, Grass-types are covered by STAB Ice Beam, and the two major Dark-types in the tier are either frail (Absol), or are hit harder by Ice Beam (Skuntank). You have two options for the last slot in my opinion: Blizzard or Baton Pass. Blizzard allows you to beat Hail teams at their own game a bit, allowing you to use their own hail against them. Baton Pass may seem like a weird option especially now that you could get rid of Mr. Mime, but dry passing as a sort of psudo U-turn is an effective way to retain momentum against defensive teams. If you know your opponent is going to switch Regice in vs you, you could Baton Pass immediately to Muk and get a Curse or two up in your opponent's face.

In conclusion:

-Everything ium suggested, especially Double Edge on Kanga (he's cute listen to him)
-CM Duosion > Mr. Mime
-Blizzard or Baton Pass > Signal Beam on Glaceon.

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
your team falls easily to pokemon such as emboar and samurott since you don't have any resistances to powerful attacks such as flare blitz and hydro pump. i suggest running a bulky water-type such as alomomola somewhere on your team in order to act as a defensive pivot and pass huge wishes to your team. although your pokemon are fairly bulky, most of them do not have a form of recovery so they will benefit a lot from having alomomola as a teammate. from what i see, ursaring is fairly redundant with the rest of your team since kangaskhan provides offensive pressure extremely similar to it, so it should be replaced. alomomola's huge physical bulk can also help you with powerful flying-types like swellow and braviary, both of which can spam brave bird and decimate your team.

summary of changes:

ursaring —> alomomola

Alomomola @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Impish Nature
- Protect
- Wish
- Waterfall
- Toxic

Thanks

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! i'll be making a small edit to the team and then we'll see how that goes. I think i'll be replacing Kangaskhan with Alomomola, and Ursaring with Absol. I'll also be switching Muks and Torterras current set with the ones Celever suggested (Thanks!). On the topic of Absol, i'll be going for the Crit Absol set which was also suggested by Celever.

Celever

i am town
Glad you're enjoying my sets! However, you might want to change the descriptions of the pokemon - especially absol and alomomola who are still ursaring and kangaskhan...
Also either the description or the portable is wrong on Absol's set, one has focus energy and the other pursuit.

Anyway, besides that, personally I think the team looks a lot better now! You have 2 walls, 1 of which is also a sweeper. The loss of Ursaring is sort of unfavourable imo, but I don't know who I would substitute now... Oh, and now that Muk has shadow sneak you have a Sawk counter, Quick feet Ursaring out-speeds Ursaring, Sawk will hang on with sturdy, probably KO Ursaring (if not then great!) and then you send out Muk and shadow sneak it down!

Your Muk set could use some better coverage then Ghost+Ice. The standard Curse set on-site is far better, due to the fact your current one is walled by Bastiodon, Lairon, Klang and other guys.

Muk @ Black Sludge
Careful Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
- Curse
- Poison Jab
- Brick Break
- Shadow Sneak

Hope this helps :)

Celever

i am town
Yeah, I had a chat with SirGrapezz on pokemon showdown and he got brick break in place of ice punch, however substitute is literally there to set up as much as you can. I actually replaced my grudurr with my Muk set and it is extremely good!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)