1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

A Winter Wonderland

Discussion in 'BW Other Teams' started by Wolgy42, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Wolgy42

Wolgy42

A Winter Wonderland

Hello Smogon, this is my second thread. You may have seen my last thread, Rainy Days, which I stopped working on as this new hail has sort of destroyed it :( But since I faced a few hail users, I decided to try utilizing the new weather to my advantage this time. This is a hail stall team, and though the 100% accuracy Blizzard is useful, I prefer to take advantage of the slow damage racked up by hail, even though I don't usually like stall. This team functions by racking up hazard and hail damage until Sigilyph comes in to clean up and destroy everything. Please rate and leave a luvdisc if you like!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

[​IMG]
    Snover
    Item: Eviolite
    Ability: Snow Warning
    Leech Seed
    Protect
    Toxic
    Substitute
    EVs: 248 Hp / 172 SpD / 88 Spe
    Calm Nature (+SpD, -Atk)

The summoner of snow, Snover himself. Sadly, he does not have much to boast of, having terrible stats and being pretty much a waste of a team slot. This set is designed to try to be annoying as possible, racking up leech seed, toxic, and hail damage while protecting and substituting, the best a Snover can go for. Eviolite is to try to boost its medicore defenses to actually survive a few hits while leech seed heals off a bit of damage. The EV spread is taken from Smogon, Calm Nature for boosting the defense while lowering the not-needed attack stat. He functions as the hail starter for my team. ​

[​IMG]
    Froslass
    Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Cursed Body
    Spikes
    Taunt
    Blizzard
    Destiny Bond
    EVs: 248 HP / 84 Def / 176 Spe
    Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)

Of course, here is the famed Hail Stall abuser, only this time back with a handicap... no more Snow Cloak, an important part of its gameplay. This is the typical utility set, having the all-important Spikes, Taunt, 100% accuracy Blizzard, and Destiny Bond for taking down an attacking threat. Froslass's ghost typing also comes in handy, making it a good spinblocker. Leftovers is to increase its survivability, while Cursed Body can make a good combination with taunt if used on a pokemon with one attack. The EV spread is to increase its speed and health. Froslass functions as my lead and hazard spreader.​

[​IMG]
    Nidoqueen
    Item: Black Sludge
    Ability: Sheer Force
    Stealth Rock
    Earth Power
    Blizzard
    Toxic Spikes
    EVs: 252 Hp / 232 Def / 24 Spe
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)​

Nidoqueen, the more passive of the pair. Unlike her brother, she functions as a more defensive pokemon, having more defensively oriented stats. I chose Nidoqueen for one important reason- the Stealth Rocks and Toxic Spikes. As the all-important Toxic Spikes and Stealth Rock setter of my team, she uses Toxic Spikes to rack up status damage while racking up hazard damage as well with Stealth Rocks for the all-present Victini and other fire type. She can do some damage by herself, but usually dies after setting up entry hazards.. Black Sludge is to heal off damage, and that's always nice. The EV spread is to increase her speed and health, her nature to increase her defense while lowering the unused attack stat. She functions as the Stealth-Rock setter on my team.​

[​IMG]
    Blastoise
    Ability: Torrent
    Rapid Spin
    Scald
    Foresight
    Roar
    EVs: 252 Hp / 4 SpD / 4 SpD

Blastoise is one of the most important pokemon on the team. As the one to take Stealth Rocks off my side of the field, he is extremely vital for my ice types to survive. The one purpose of Blastoise is to rapid spin, keeping entry hazards off my side. Foresight is to target any incoming ghost types that are trying to spinblock, Scald is in case a target uses taunt, and Roar is to phase out any pokemon trying to set up. The EVs are to increase defense and health, the nature also improving defense. He functions as the rapid spinner of the team. Edit: Thanks to those to suggested this, as I have now changed my Blastoise to a physically defensive set over specially defensive. This helps against threats like Victini, Arcanine, and Darmanitan.

[​IMG]
    Snorlax
    Ability: Thick Fat
    Return
    Rest
    Sleep Talk
    Whirlwind
    EVs: 208 HP / 124 Def / 176 SpD
    Careful Nature (+SpD, -SpA)

The Hulk. Big, Bulky, and Bad. That is, for other teams. One of the best additions for Stall Teams in UU, Snorlax is here to sleep away while taking hits like a boss and phasing out other pokemon, making them take as much entry hazard damage as possible while Toxic Spikes wear them down. Return is as most of the opposing team should be already poisoned, making the extra paralysis from Body Slam useless. Rest and Sleep Talk go hand in hand, allowing Snorlax to move while sleeping and not be a sleeping, sittting, duck.(Actually, its more like a giant blue teddy bear than a duck, but whatever.) Sleep Talk allows Snorlax to do whirlwind not last, which is also nice.His EVs and Nature are to promote long-livety. He functions as the Special Defender and main Phaser of my team.​

[​IMG]
    Walrein
    Ability: Ice Body
    Protect
    Substitute
    Blizzard
    Roar
    EVs: 232 HP / 220 Def / 56 Spe

Of course, the famous Stallrein. Edited a little, but still Stallrein. With Ice Body and Leftovers, Stallrein isn't going down any time soon. In fact, you might be the one to die trying to take Stallrein down... With Toxic Spikes, Entry Hazards, and Hail damage racking up on you while Stallrein heals up with his Leftovers and Ice Body, you will take a ton of damage. If the pokemon Stallrein is facing hasn't been poisoned yet or Stallrein can't wall him to the moon and back, then boom. Roar. The EVs and Nature are to make Stallrein more defensive and annoying. Stallrein functions as my main wall and annoyer.​

Well, that's the team. It has a lot of room for improvement, but as I'm new to Stall and Hail I don't exactly know what to put. Suggestions would be highly appreciated, as I don't exactly know what to add. My team has no physical attackers, a current problem. But as I said, please suggest some improvements! Thanks for reading.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Importable Version
    Show Hide
    Snover @ Eviolite
    Trait: Snow Warning
    EVs: 248 HP / 172 SDef / 88 Spd
    Calm Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Leech Seed
    - Protect
    - Toxic
    - Substitute

Froslass (F) @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Cursed Body
    EVs: 248 HP / 84 Def / 176 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Spikes
    - Taunt
    - Blizzard
    - Destiny Bond

Nidoqueen (F) @ Black Sludge
    Trait: Sheer Force
    EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spd
    Bold Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Earth Power
    - Blizzard
    - Toxic Spikes

Blastoise @ Leftovers
    Trait: Torrent
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
    Bold Nature
    - Rapid Spin
    - Scald
    - Foresight
    - Roar

Snorlax @ Leftovers
    Trait: Thick Fat
    EVs: 208 HP / 124 Def / 176 SDef
    Careful Nature
    - Return
    - Rest
    - Sleep Talk
    - Whirlwind

Walrein @ Leftovers
    Trait: Ice Body
    EVs: 232 HP / 220 Def / 56 Spd
    Bold Nature
    - Protect
    - Substitute
    - Blizzard
    - Roar

Old Teammates
    Show Hide
    [​IMG]
    Sigilyph
    Item: Flame Orb
    Ability: Magic Guard
    Cosmic Power
    Stored Power
    Psycho Shift
    Roost
    EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 Spe
    Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)

The Boss. Sigilyph being one of my favorite pokemon (not most favorite because of his terrible to pronounce and spell name), I love this guy. With enough Cosmic Power boosts and Roosting, he can become near invincible. I chose to make him this team's sweeper because he has one of the best abilities in the game, Magic Guard, which makes him invincible to hail damage. With Psycho Shift and Flame Orb, he can transfer his burn to the opponent and rack up burn and hail damage on them while increasing his defenses. And when he gets enough boosts, its time to start sweeping. Stored Power on EVERYTHING!!!! His EVs are to increase his Defenses and Speed, Nature to reduce the unneeded attack. He functions as this teams clean-up sweeper. Edit: Replaced with Snorlax.​
  2. Acewiild

Acewiild

Although I do question the viability of hail stall myself, I think you have decent team going here. There are a few things that probably need to change though. First, you are lacking a specially defensive wall. If there is anything I know about stall teams, it is that you need to balance the defenses throughout the team. This can be changed by just changing the evs around a little bit though. I suggest that you make the blastoise full specially defensive. This will also increase your resistence to rain dance kingdra. Which you may have a little bit of a problem with. Another thing is you may want to add a pokemon with wish to help the pokemon on your team that do not gain health during hailstorm. This will greatly increase the endurance of your stall team. I suggest either Umbreon for this.

Umbreon
    Leftovers
    Calm Nature
    252 hp, 252 sdef, 4 def
    ~ Wish
    ~ Foul Play
    ~ Heal Bell
    ~ Protect

If you add Umbreon to the team you will gain a specially defensive wall and wish support, which is ever so important in uu stall.

Solid Team, keep working on it!
  3. Wolgy42

Wolgy42

What pokemon do you suggest I replace? All of them have a very specific position, Snover the Hail Starter, Froslass the Hazard Spreader, Nidoqueen the Stealth Rocks and Toxic Spikes spreader, Blastiose for Rapid Spin support, Sigilyph for being an aggresive wall, and Walrein for annoying the Sh*t out of everyone. Took your idea on making Blastiose a Special Defender though.
  4. Acewiild

Acewiild

I honestly think that your best bet is taking out sigilyph, but hey, people told me to change some things on my team today and I did then it turned out that they had no idea what they were talking about and that may apply to me in this situation. Anyways, just try it out a little bit see what you think before you actually change anything.
  5. Wolgy42

Wolgy42

Sigilyph is good 50% of the time. 50% of the time he kicks butt, destroys around 3-5 pokemon and sweeps for me. 50% of the time, he dies in 2 attacks while I make bad predictions. I'll try Umbreon, though that adds another pokemon to my team thats weak to hail. Thanks for the rate!
  6. shiranai

shiranai

you don't have to worry with the hail damage in your team as long as you can let your team healthy (away from statuses) and keeping hazards in the field. most good stall teams follow these rules, and Umbreon will help following both.
  7. Windsong

Windsong .dancin
    is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Hey man, cool team you've got here! I'm really happy to see Hail be used successfully in UU, and you've got a pretty solid start of a team, so props to you for that! There are a few minor problems that are worth touching on, however. First off, you really have major problems handling Adamant CB Victini, which is capable of OHKOing every single member of your team besides Blastoise with V-create with Stealth Rock down (and Blastoise is 2HKOed handily). CB Darmanitan is also capable of OHKOing every member of your team barring Blastoise, who is 2HKOed, with CB Flare Blitz. Similarly, offensive Arcanine (especially Life Orb variants) can pose major problems for you, as your only real ways of handling it are to wear it down with recoil or sacrifice Frosslass in order to handle it. You also have a fair amount of trouble against Raikou, especially on opposing Hail teams, as after a single boost, it OHKOs every member of your team other than Snover, who's forced into a mind game between Toxic and Blizzard in order to potentially beat it. ChestoRest Kingdra sets up fairly easily against your team and sweeps you clean as well. Finally, Substitute Chandelure can be fairly difficult for you to handle easily if it manages to get behind a sub, which is exceptionally easy to do versus your team. So in general, you're suffering against strong physical attackers and most special attackers that have Sub to dodge away from Toxics and resisted Blizzards.

Thankfully, most of these problems are very easy to fix. Making Blastoise Physically Defensive with EVs of 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD; Bold solves the majority of your problems with Victini, Arcanine, and Darmanitan, as it can beat all of them at least once and against your team, the residual damage will wrack up fast against them. In addition, Sigilyph is really a weak link on your team, despite you liking it. Its attacks are ridiculously weak until it is successfully set up, and it's free setup for a number of Pokemon that can seriously hurt your team, while being fairly easily handled by the majority of teams in UU at this point. In addition, it heavily conflicts with Toxic Spikes. A very cool option to try out instead might be RestTalk Snorlax or Curse Snorlax, with 208 HP / 124 Def / 176 SpD; Careful, and Rest/SleepTalk/Return/Whirlwind or Curse/Return/Earthquake/Rest. Both function very well, with Curse taking over Sigilyph's role of cleaning lategame more solidly, while RestTalk Snorlax is more durable as a whole. Overall nice team, good luck!

summary (open)

• 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD Blastoise > 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD Blastoise
    • RestTalkSnorlax > Sigilyph OR
    • Curse Snorlax > Sigilyph (try out both!)
  8. Wolgy42

Wolgy42

Thanks for the rate! Those are pretty good ideas, already made my Blastoise physically defensive but just haven't updated the thread yet. Going to right after this. For the annoying fire types you mentioned, I (not mentioned in thread) play Froslass with 252 Speed and Focus Sash, I get up one layer of spikes then take the other pokemon down with Destiny Bond. I'll try out your idea of using RestTalk Snorlax over Sigilyph, as I think RestTalk should function better than Curselax on a Stall Team.
  9. Wolgy42

Wolgy42

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)