Other Metagames [AAA] Ascending (4-0 OMPL/OMGS, #2 Ladder Peak)

Laxpras

One small yeet for man, one giant yeet for mankind
banner by Akumeoy
Introduction

This is going to be my most intensive RMT, as its for a very successful team built for my favorite meta. The team is actually undefeated on ladder, Smogon tournaments, tournaments in tour room, and friendly challenges, but I clearly can't prove that, so take it as you want. What I can show you is that this is an extremely effective team that win games against the toughest competition, such as in OMPL and OMGS. The name has a double meaning: Personally I have risen as a player; I am fairly new to the competitive scene, but I was able to reach semifinals in my first OM Grand slam, as well as go 5-0 in AAA in my first OMPL. Also, the name is attributed to Volcanion's ascension to the top of the AAA theatlist in my mind. This might be a lengthy post, so I'll get going...
Teambuilding Process

I built this team right after the release of Volcanion, so it was centered around the new shiny toy. It has fun typing, move set, and stat spread, enabling it to run mixed sets. That’s what I initially did, employing a Choice Scarfed Adaptability set. However, I kept changing the team up and I eventually settled with Choice Specs Tinted Lens.

Thinking of Volcanion checks, I needed a way to beat Meloetta, Chansey, Suicune, Manaphy, and other general special defensively bulky mons and water types (since Volcanion was not originally Tinted Lens). I thought of Poison Heal Manaphy as a lure, as it has essentially the same checks, but almost all of them are severely hurt by Knock Off.

Here I added Choice Band Tyanitar simply because it’s too good not to use. When I switched Volcanion to Specs however, I changed Tyranitar to Scarf to maintain some speed control on the team.

From here I started to get gimmicky. I went the route of adding a third water type, still without using Motor Drive or Volt Absorb. I used Jellicent because it handles Lucario really well, living a Crunch and burning it. Lucario is one of the biggest threats to the meta, and my team definitely needed a check. More importantly, it completely walls Snorlax, which 6-0s any unprepared team.

After accounting for Snorlax and Lucario, it was time to check Suicune. I went with the unusual Unaware Celebi set, as it also provides Stealth Rock support and beats most Manaphy sets.

Lastly, the team needed a bird check. Skarmory was my answer because I also needed hazard control, and it gives me a strong priority attack of my own.

From here, I went into my OMGS semi-finals game against the AAA king Klang boldly with 3 water types, despite only having 1 electric resist, and no immunities. Also bold of me was having Volcanion be Life Orb Adaptability with mixed Flare Blitz, as I feared the dreaded Klang Stall. Thus, my team literally auto-lost to Thundurus, there was absolutely no way to kill it. And of course, Klang brings Thundurus to the OMGS match (classic Klang CT). However, I was lucky enough to bluff Tyranitar being Scarfed, and Pursuit trapped it. My creative Manaphy set then pulled through and pretty much won the game by itself (see replays). However, I realized the team had enormous flaws, so it was back to building….

The first order of business was handling Thundurus. I obviously needed to get rid of one of my water types, and I chose Jellicent as the odd one out. I replaced it with Volt Absorb Mandibuzz, hoping to be able to lure in and hurt Thundurus and other electric types, which were still a significant threat.

With Jellicent gone, Lucario and Snorlax were again threats. I had a very obvious answer to this with Doublade. Despite losing powerful priority, Regen Doublade cemented the team very well, and I was finally at peace. After testing, I eventually decided that Specs Tinted Lens Volcanion and Scarf Tyranitar were the best options for the two beasts; since the team turned pretty offensive, I needed that Scarfed Pursuit. Additionally, the meta has seen a rise in the use of Blastoise, so Tinted Lens helped with that.

The Team

Volcanion | Choice Specs | Tinted Lens
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe | Modest Nature | IVs: 0 Atk
Steam Eruption | Fire Blast | Scald | Focus Blast

My shiny new toy is quite dangerous. Choice Specs Tinted Lens 2HKOs essentially the entire meta barring Chansey, RegenVest Meloetta, and a few others. It is also has solid natural bulk so it can take a hit and hit back likely even harder. The moves are pretty self-explanatory, most of the time you just spam Steam Eruption; the only time you don’t really is if there’s an immunity. Volcanion’s typing also provides a decent V-Create check. The team is really designed to be able to get this is and have it do work. It is a decent lead, but its worth really comes late game when it can usually just KO any remaining threats. This opportunity comes from the offensive-natured team wearing the opponents down, but more importantly, because of Manaphy….

Manaphy | Toxic Orb | Poison Heal

EVs: 236 HP / 152 SpA / 88 SpD / 32 Spe | Modest Nature
Tail Glow | Scald | Knock Off | Protect

My take on Tail Glow Manaphy serves several important purposes. Firstly, it is deadly to stall; the combination of Knock Off, Tail Glow, and Poison Heal allow it to plow through pretty much anything stall has, including Chansey and even some Desolate Land Heatran sets (Klang replay). Secondly, and more importantly for most battles, it opens the door for Volcanion to sweep. The two essentially have the same checks/counters: RegenVest users, Chansey, water types, etc. With Knock Off, Manaphy lures in all of these and removes their much needed item. Also, with tail glow it powers through most water types, except Suicune. Once Assault Vests, Eviolites, and Leftovers have been removed from the opposition, Volcanion can then really wreak havoc. The spread is weird, but let me explain. In case someone else decides to use Tinted Lens Volcanion, the HP and SpD EVs allow you to come in, Protect, and Knock Off the Choice Specs to live. It sounds like a bit much, but hey, I’m not trying to lose to what this team is built around. The HP EVs also maximize Poison Heal recovery, and the speed EVs outspeed Jolly Tyranitar.

Tyranitar | Choice Scarf | Adaptability

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe | Jolly Nature
Crunch | Stone Edge | Superpower | Pursuit

Likely the best offensive threat in AAA, Adaptability Tyranitar is perfect for any somewhat aggressive build. It OHKO’s most offensive foes, and can outspeed and Pursuit trap with a Choice Scarf. When it comes to revenge killing, there is no better option. Tyranitar allows me to keep in check things like Latios, Gengar, Thundurus, and much more. I usually run Toxic over Superpower on Scarf TTar for things like Hippowdon, but my OMPL battle with Mambo (see replay) made me change my ways as Superpower can handle Lucario and the opposition’s Tyranitar. Still, I’m clicking Crunch or Pursuit most often. If you see a foe that Tyranitar can still KO, keep it alive. It wins games.

Mandibuzz | Leftovers | Volt Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD | Careful Nature
Foul Play | Roost | Defog | Knock Off

Mandibuzz has two main roles on this team: controlling hazards and checking Thundurus. At first glance the team looks extremely electric-weak, and well it is, but Volt Absorb Mandibuzz is a surprise check that allows you to regain health and deal with most electric special attackers. Aside from that, its Foul Play and natural physical bulk are pretty much the only things that can try to stop Mega Gyarados on this team. If you see a Gyarados, you need Mandibuzz at full health, and you need to get it in right away when Gyarados comes in.
Also makes for one of the best sequences I've been a part of lmao Kl4ng http://prnt.sc/brqbhx

Celebi | Leftovers | Unaware

EVs: 248 HP / 224 SpD / 36 Spe | Calm Nature | IVs: 0 Atk
Stealth Rock | Energy Ball | Recover | Baton Pass

The Stealth Rock setter, and Suicune + Manaphy check of the team. Unaware Celebi does this job excellently, tanking even Manaphy’s Ice Beams like they are nothing. Unfortunately, Celebi does not have a lot of great matchups elsewhere in the AAA meta, so it can be somewhat useless in many matches, but SR support is always handy. Energy Ball is necessary over Giga Drain to defeat Suicune easily, and the speed EVs + Baton Pass allow you to avoid a Jolly Tyranitar Pursuit. Baton Pass also just serves as a solid pivot in general thanks to Celebi’s decent bulk, giving it some use even in bad matchups. If you can tell that you don’t need Celebi, it is often best to sacrifice it to bring in Tyranitar or Volcanion on a favorable matchup, once you’ve gotten Stealth Rocks up.

Doublade | Eviolite | Regenerator

EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe | Adamant Nature
Swords Dance | Shadow Sneak | Shadow Claw | Sacred Sword

Doublade is the Gale Wings, Snorlax, and Lucario check for the team. With Regenerator, it does its job excellently, except for Honchcrow, which is rising in usage. Due to this, it might be worth investing in some SpDef to live a Dark Pulse, as Honchcrow is a huge threat, but I’m posting this team as I last had it. Sacred Sword OHKO’s Snorlax after one boost, Shadow Claw simply has better neutral coverage than Iron Head, and Shadow Sneak provides invaluable priority. 8 Speed EVs are there in case of a Doublade vs. Doublade matchup, which you should generally avoid since Manaphy and Mandibuzz both easily handle Doublade. If an opponent forces the matchup however, my Doublade is somewhat prepared.

Theatlist:

Honchcrow: When I built this Honch wasn't a big threat in AAA, but now its a lot more common. With Doublade as the bird check, this thing can unleash holy hell on the team. You have to revenge kill it with Tyranitar pretty much, its worth Pursuiting to get the damage off.
Gyarados: Once it gets a set up the thing is trouble due to Mold Breaker. Getting a shot off with Volcanion is your best bet, followed by Mandibuzz.
Thundurus: Even with Volt Absorb Mandibuzz, this is still a huge threat, especially with Refrigerate (Again, lmao http://prnt.sc/brqbhx)

I'm sure there's more I'm just not thinking of, I'll update as they come.

Conclusion

If you're anything like me, you skipped reading the teambuilding section of this RMT. If so, go back now and read it, you will get a much better feel for the team overall and how each mon should be used. Anyway, this team is pretty deadly once you figure out how to use it. Manaphy is a great lead, you can often Knock Off unsuspecting Poison Heal user's Toxic Orbs (see Mambo replay) or at least Protect to ensure you get your own poison. Manaphy can come in on a lot and do crippling work with Scald and Knock Off, or just win with Tail Glow. Celebi is a decent pivot, Mandibuzz and Doublade are excellent walls, and Tyranitar and Volcanion are devastating attackers. Thus, these 6 mons form a really well balanced offensive team that can take on most common builds in the meta, from stall to HO. Go ahead and try it out, and feel welcome to comment any suggestions for alternative options, there is always something better. I hope you enjoyed, AAA is a really fun meta and this is the team/RMT I have worked the hardest on. Thanks for reading, and its lit.

Shoutouts
AAA Crew: Thanks for always being down to play my fav meta, always cool to see what new things you guys come up with, even though I smack you
aesf imas Jordn Kl4ng motherlove
OM Fam: Too many of you guys to shoutout individually unless you ask nicely but you homies are all fun and the room is always usually a good time.
Special shoutouts to Dr. Phd. BJ for being generally bad fun, and always testing random shit (throwback to no status) and building ts and being a fkn savage fam InfernapeTropius11 for being a nerd, Ransei for being the GOAT OMPL manager, Lcass4919 for being really cool and good at most metas, and Eevee General + The Immortal for doing so much for the room, Akumeoy for the amazing banner especially
Miscellaneus friend shoutouts: Grains of Salt stay you fam, dusk raimon ur not awful at 1v1, manu 11 lol u were #11 in randbats ladder ha ha lol xd megaqwer:D keep learning aaa fam
Shoutout to everyone I'm forgetting

Volcanion @ Choice Specs
Ability: Tinted Lens
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Scald
- Focus Blast

Manaphy @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 236 HP / 152 SpA / 88 SpD / 32 Spe
Modest Nature
- Tail Glow
- Scald
- Knock Off
- Protect

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Mandibuzz @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Defog
- Knock Off

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 224 SpD / 36 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Energy Ball
- Recover
- Baton Pass

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Shadow Claw
- Sacred Sword

Last edited:
Lit team fam, Volcanion is actually pretty cool to use, second best Volc in the game just behind Volcarona imo. Mandibuzz looks a bit out of place but actually fits pretty nicely in the team, good job.

As far as suggestions go, you could try Ice Punch over superpower on TTar since you can better check adaptability garchomp, for now you pretty much sack something hoping it went into outrage and proceed to do like 50% with doublade hoping it gets a 3 turn outrage which isn't ideal. Especially if the chomper player makes a couple of lucky good predicts. I get superpower is good for luk, but you handle both scarftar and bandtar pretty well as it is, just a matter of calling its set.
Thought then it might be worth investing a tiny bit of defence on doublade to always live +2 adamant touch claws crunch after rocks. 240 / 88 does this and the slight loss in attack is completely unimpactful.

MAN THIS TEAM IF FUCKING WEAK TO APES, BOTH DARMANITAN AND INFERNAPE CAN SET UP ON CELEBII AND LEGIT 6-0 WITH RELATIVE EASE. JUST RUN A MANAPHY TO LURE IT OUT, GO TO +6 AND SACK IT AND BOOM YOU HAVE A CT.

Talking about mons that actually exist in the meta, you have a really hard time against other Volc team, not Volcanion, the other Volc (the good one) if it's on a more balanced team. It sets up on 3 of your mons and potentially a superpower / pursuit locked TTar and does some big damage to pretty much everything on your team, your best bet is to go straight Volcanion on the quiver dance, but Vocanion can pretty much only come in once if there's rocks up and after that, well, you pretty much lose. And that's in a magic guard scenario, which is the best case scenario, because both sheer force and desolate land are far more dangerous to your team (especially sheer force, just click X). Now you can choose to ignore it or run something really situational like brave burd mandibuzz (who defuk needs knock), it's up to you.

That's really all I can think of on the top of my head that you'd really struggle with, some other mons, especialy choice specs mons, can be issues just based on how relatively slow your team is like anything that can click draco meteor Specs Kyurem or HydreiGOD, but they're relatively manageable, Hydreigon to a lesser extent because it's not pursuit trapped and ohkoes doublade / celebi.

MAN IMAS IS SO BAD HE WOULDA WON IF HE DRAGON DANCED AGAIN TURN 19 SMH FAM.

Celebi is way oversized on the image.

Laxpras

Lit team fam, Volcanion is actually pretty cool to use, second best Volc in the game just behind Volcarona imo. Mandibuzz looks a bit out of place but actually fits pretty nicely in the team, good job.

As far as suggestions go, you could try Ice Punch over superpower on TTar since you can better check adaptability garchomp, for now you pretty much sack something hoping it went into outrage and proceed to do like 50% with doublade hoping it gets a 3 turn outrage which isn't ideal. Especially if the chomper player makes a couple of lucky good predicts. I get superpower is good for luk, but you handle both scarftar and bandtar pretty well as it is, just a matter of calling its set.
Thought then it might be worth investing a tiny bit of defence on doublade to always live +2 adamant touch claws crunch after rocks. 240 / 88 does this and the slight loss in attack is completely unimpactful.

MAN THIS TEAM IF FUCKING WEAK TO APES, BOTH DARMANITAN AND INFERNAPE CAN SET UP ON CELEBII AND LEGIT 6-0 WITH RELATIVE EASE. JUST RUN A MANAPHY TO LURE IT OUT, GO TO +6 AND SACK IT AND BOOM YOU HAVE A CT.

Talking about mons that actually exist in the meta, you have a really hard time against other Volc team, not Volcanion, the other Volc (the good one) if it's on a more balanced team. It sets up on 3 of your mons and potentially a superpower / pursuit locked TTar and does some big damage to pretty much everything on your team, your best bet is to go straight Volcanion on the quiver dance, but Vocanion can pretty much only come in once if there's rocks up and after that, well, you pretty much lose. And that's in a magic guard scenario, which is the best case scenario, because both sheer force and desolate land are far more dangerous to your team (especially sheer force, just click X). Now you can choose to ignore it or run something really situational like brave burd mandibuzz (who defuk needs knock), it's up to you.

That's really all I can think of on the top of my head that you'd really struggle with, some other mons, especialy choice specs mons, can be issues just based on how relatively slow your team is like anything that can click draco meteor Specs Kyurem or HydreiGOD, but they're relatively manageable, Hydreigon to a lesser extent because it's not pursuit trapped and ohkoes doublade / celebi.

MAN IMAS IS SO BAD HE WOULDA WON IF HE DRAGON DANCED AGAIN TURN 19 SMH FAM.

Celebi is way oversized on the image.
You're right about Volcarona, and really special attackers in general. Brave bird definitely sounds like its a better option for Mandibuzz. I feel like there's probably a better option for the team than Celebi, something that can handle Cune, Manaphy, and some of the choiced special attackers that you mentioned. Unfortunately I haven't been able to think of something that does this and provides SR support like Celebi does, but I'm sure there's something.

Ice Punch TTar seems logical enough, no reason not to add it.

Lastly, but most importantly, Volcanion > Volcarona. Always.

Laxpras

Used this team against Klang for OMPL Finals Tiebreaker, and won again! Updated replays

Reactions: Mq

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)