[AAA] Ferrothorn [QC 3/3] [GP 2/2]

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
QC: Aesf, Kl4ng, GrimoireGod
GP: P Squared
[OVERVIEW]
Ferrothorn is a solid defensive Pokemon in the metagame with an excellent defensive typing, great utility, and a wide support movepool, making it a solid choice on balanced and defensive teams. It can check or counter the majority of the common offensive threats in the metagame, thanks to its excellent defensive stats and typing, while still having some offensive utility thanks to its good STAB combination and decent Attack, even when uninvested. It also has rare access to both Spikes and Stealth Rock, making it a solid option on teams in need of entry hazards. However, Ferrothorn is prone to getting worn down thanks to its lack of reliable recovery and can be trapped by common Magnet Pull users. It will almost always be moving last thanks to its poor Speed, and it is somewhat passive and thus can be used as setup fodder by some common boosting attackers such as Skarmory.

[SET]
name: Defensive
move 1: Power Whip
move 2: Leech Seed
move 3: Stealth Rock / Knock Off / Worry Seed
move 4: Thunder Wave / Gyro Ball / Protect
item: Leftovers
ability: Flash Fire / Mold Breaker / Unaware
nature: Impish
evs: 248 HP / 32 Def / 228 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Power Whip is Ferrothorn's best STAB move and allows it to threaten bulky Water-types such as Suicune. Leech Seed can give Ferrothorn extra passive recovery and allows it to weaken bulkier foes that otherwise wall it such as Doublade. Stealth Rock can be used to wear down opposing teams, although Ferrothorn has difficulty fitting it onto its set. Spikes can also be run if one of Ferrothorn's teammates is already running Stealth Rock. Knock Off allows Ferrothorn to cripple foes by removing their items and can force Poison Heal users to play more carefully around Ferrothorn before activating their Toxic Orb, as well as hitting Victini and Doublade. Worry Seed can also be run to force Poison Heal users to switch out, as well as save Ferrothorn from being trapped when predicting Magnet Pull users to switch in. Thunder Wave allows Ferrothorn to cripple setup sweepers such as Swords Dance Lucario so that it can avoid being setup fodder, while Gyro Ball gives Ferrothorn a strong secondary STAB move to hit faster Dragon- and Flying-types such as Latios and Braviary. Iron Head can be run instead for more reliable damage versus slower foes such as Conkeldurr. Protect can also be run to get free turns for Ferrothorn to get more passive recovery from Leftovers and potentially Leech Seed.

Set Details
========

Maximum HP investment and 32 Defense EVs with an Impish nature give Ferrothorn as much physical bulk as it can afford, while the 228 EVs in Special Defense allow Ferrothorn to survive two +3 Ice Beams from Manaphy and KO it with Power Whip. Flash Fire is the preferred ability, as it helps Ferrothorn to wall many offensive Fire-types, such as Victini and Entei, which can otherwise easily switch into Ferrothorn's resisted dual STAB moves and OHKO it. Primordial Sea can also be run to better beat Fire-types with Mold Breaker, at the cost of leaving Ferrothorn vulnerable to Will-O-Wisp. Mold Breaker can be run to help Ferrothorn set up entry hazards and Leech Seed versus teams with Magic Bounce users, preventing it from being mostly dead weight against them. Unaware prevents Ferrothorn from being setup fodder for common sweepers such as Doublade and Skarmory lacking Taunt, allowing Ferrothorn to outstall them when using Leech Seed. Leftovers is by far the best item for Ferrothorn, as it provides some extra longevity and can work together with Leech Seed to keep Ferrothorn somewhat healthy. Zero Speed IVs and a Relaxed nature should be used when running Gyro Ball to make it hit as hard as possible.

Usage Tips
========

Ferrothorn should be used to set up entry hazards first and foremost to begin chipping away at the opponent's team as early as possible. Attempt to scout for opposing Magic Bounce users before going for hazards if not running Mold Breaker, as common users such as Mew and Chansey can easily switch into Ferrothorn and reflect its hazards. Use Leech Seed as much as possible, as it can keep Ferrothorn healthy while crippling foes, potentially allowing Ferrothorn to stay healthy enough to keep switching into stronger attackers throughout longer matches. If running Flash Fire, Ferrothorn can be used as a mostly reliable switch-in to Fire-types such as Entei and Heatran. However, be careful of freely switching Ferrothorn into Trick + Choice item variants of Victini and Substitute or Taunt variants of Heatran, as they can both beat Ferrothorn one-on-one. Similarly, Ferrothorn is capable of beating some setup sweepers such as Skarmory and Doublade one-on-one if running Unaware but should otherwise switch out versus them in order to avoid being setup fodder. Avoid burns if possible, as they render Ferrothorn mostly useless. If running Primordial Sea, Ferrothorn can be used to disrupt opposing weather teams by forcibly changing the weather to heavy rain upon switching in and removing all weather conditions when switching out.

Team Options
========

Specially defensive walls such as Goodra are important teammates for Ferrothorn, as it can be a somewhat free switch in for strong special attackers such as Landorus and Hydreigon. Wish passers such as Vaporeon and Chansey can keep Ferrothorn healthy throughout longer games to make up for its lack of reliable recovery, both of which are also notable specially defensive walls. Fighting-type checks such as Zapdos and Latias are useful for covering Ferrothorn's main weakness, although switch-ins to Fire-types such as Suicune and Mega Ampharos are also essential for non-Primordial Sea or Flash Fire variants of Ferrothorn. Unaware users like Suicune are very useful for non-Unaware variants of Ferrothorn, which can often find themselves setup fodder for sweepers such as Skarmory and Gyarados. Strong wallbreakers and sweepers such as Latios and Mega Gyarados appreciate Ferrothorn's entry hazard support to wear down their defensive switch-ins and more easily break or sweep the opposing team. Azumarill is a notable partner for Ferrothorn, as it can check both Fighting- and Fire-type Pokemon as well as take advantage of Ferrothorn's entry hazards to wallbreak easily if running Huge Power or act as a defensive partner if running Poison Heal. Magnet Pull users such as Heatran can be used to remove opposing Steel-types, which can easily wall Ferrothorn otherwise. Heal Bell users such as Chansey and Diancie can help keep Ferrothorn free of burns. Ghost-types such as Doublade and Gengar and Defiant or Competitive users such as Mega Metagross and Mega Ampharos, respectively, can help spinblock and discourage Defogging once Ferrothorn has set up entry hazards.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Offensive Tough Claws sets can be used to lure in frail Pokemon such as Latios and Heatran that assume that it's defensive and can be OHKOed by the correct coverage move, but such sets are used more as single-use lures and lack the utility and staying power of defensive sets. Similarly, offensive Curse sets with Flash Fire can be run as a more surprising bulky setup sweeper. Magic Bounce can be used to reflect opposing entry hazards and can sometimes catch foes off guard, but it otherwise lacks the utility provided by Ferrothorn's main abilities. Prankster allows Ferrothorn to set entry hazards with increased priority but, again, is otherwise mediocre compared to its main abilities. Regenerator can also be run to give Ferrothorn some much-needed recovery, whereas Bulletproof allows it to wall Sheer Force Gengar. Rocky Helmet can be run to get extra chip damage on foes, but Ferrothorn prefers the recovery that Leftovers provides, as it's otherwise reliant on Leech Seed and Wish passing for healing. Shed Shell can be held to prevent Magnet Pull users from trapping Ferrothorn, but the item is otherwise useless and comes at the high cost of losing Leftovers.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Magnet Pull**: Magnet Pull users such as Infernape and Heatran pose the largest threat to Ferrothorn, as they can trap and KO it, leaving previously walled teammates free to cause issues for the rest of Ferrothorn's team. However, this can be circumvented with the rare Shed Shell.

**Steel-types**: Thanks to their resistances to both Grass and Steel, opposing Steel-types have little to fear from Ferrothorn. Some, such as Lucario and Scizor, can set up on Ferrothorn for a sweep, while others such as Genesect can simply fire off powerful attacks while taking little damage.

**Fighting-types**: No matter what ability Ferrothorn runs, most Fighting-types, such as Conkeldurr, can easily switch into it and threaten it out with their super effective STAB attacks. Some, such as Breloom and Blaziken, can also use Ferrothorn as setup fodder, as it can do fairly little to them.

**Magic Bounce Users**: Magic Bounce users such as Zapdos and Cresselia are Ferrothorn's greatest threats, as they prevent it from doing anything useful aside from attacking. However, running Mold Breaker prevents Magic Bounce Pokemon from reflecting its entry hazards and removes them as a threat.

**Setup Sweepers**: Bulkier setup sweepers that aren't weak to one of Ferrothorn's STAB moves, such as Snorlax and Mega Scizor, can easily boost on Ferrothorn while only being mildly annoyed by Leech Seed and proceed to sweep the rest of Ferrothorn's team. However, Unaware variants of Ferrothorn can ignore their boosts and stall them out with Leech Seed.

**Taunt**: Taunt users such as Heatran and Mew are capable of shutting down Ferrothorn by forcing it to simply use its somewhat weak attacking moves. Taunt Skarmory can also set up on Ferrothorn and beat even Unaware variants one-on-one.

**Strong Special Attackers**: Due to Ferrothorn's lower Special Defense, strong special wallbreakers such as Tinted Lens Latios and Sheer Force Gengar can break through and KO Ferrothorn.

Last edited:
Overview
  • Don't mention anything about viability rankings. Instead, on the 2nd bullet, just say "checks a large portion of the metagame"
  • Also mention its great bulk in the first bullet
Set 1
  • Moves: I'd slash in Knock Off and Worry Seed over stealth rock and mention spikes as an alternative to rocks in the description part. Although if you still think ferrothorn needs hazards, feel free to not implement this, I'll let other QCs decide. Although Knock Off and Worry Seed definitely need to go on the set somewhere, since those are really good on Ferrothorn. (knock off is just really good in general while worry seed can be used to predict magnet pull and beat poison heal)
  • Moves: Slash in Thunder Wave before Protect and after Gyro Ball (helps with struggles against set up sweepers like luke)
  • Moves: Use Kl4ng's spread of 248 HP / 32+ Def / 228 SpD, which allows you to take 2 +3 Manaphy ice beams and hit back hard with power whip.
  • Moves: Definitely give Iron Head a mention, since it allows Ferrothorn to hit slower pokemon and also has far more PP than gyro ball, which is very important on a stallmon.
  • Set Details: Mention Flash Fire as an alternative to Primordial Sea, which allows you to be immune to will-o-wisp. I'd even consider putting it instead of Prim Sea, but that's up to you.
  • Set Details: Minor nitpick, but skarmory still wins against unaware if it's using taunt.
  • (OPTIONAL) Set Details: Note that unlike other ferrothorn, mold breaker variants cannot bluff fire immunity.
  • Set Details: Note how other items besides leftovers should not be used on Ferrothorn due to its need for recovery.
  • Usage Tips: Try not to let Ferrothorn get burnt, as a burn will render ferrothorn almost useless.
  • Team Options: List Heal Bell users like Chansey and Diancie and poison healers to alleviate ferrothorn's problems with burns
Other
  • OO: Remove Knock Off and maybe Twave, because those deserve a mention on the set.
  • OO: I'd actually put this near the top, but an offensive Flash Fire Curse set can be very scary once it gets going.
  • C&C: Taunt users, specifically Skarmory, Heatran, and Thundurus
  • C&C: Powerful special attackers, such as Thundurus, Gengar, and Tinted Lens Latios can easily break through Ferrothorn.
QC 1/3

MZ

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I figured there was a better mixed spread. Put all of the stuff into the move slashes but the set is looking awfully crowded and I'm wondering whether some of the moves can be put into OO instead

Overview
  • Mention that Ferrothorn's terrible speed means it will almost always be moving second.
  • Other than this the overview looks good!
Set
  • Gyro Ball should go before protect imo. Protect is nice and all for defensive teams, but Ferrothorn will often find itself on balance where having the option to smack the opposition with a strong Gyro Ball is more important than extra longevity. It's also fairly easily played around by the opponent.
  • I also think Stealth Rock should go before Worry Seed. Worry Seed is nice and all, but Fighting-type Magnet Pull users will usually beat you with it regardless and the ability to support the team with hazards is more useful in most situations than beating PH users imo.
  • When explaining the difference between Primo Sea and Flash Fire, also mention that Flash Fire makes Ferrothorn more resistant to Water-type moves and is the ability of choice on weather teams as to not disrupt weather.
  • In Usage Tips, also mention that Primordial Sea can be used to disrupt the opponent's weather, including rain which disappears after Ferrothorn switches in and out.
  • "If running Primordial Sea or Flash Fire, Ferrothorn can be used as a mostly reliable switch into Fire-types such as..."
Strategy Comments
  • In Other Options, mention Mold Breaker to lay hazards and use leech seed on Magic Bounce users.
  • "Mixed defensive and specially defensive spreads can both be used over physically defensive to allow Ferrothorn to better handle special attackers, although the use of these more comes down to handling specific team threats" since the current spread is a mixed one and pretty much as specially defensive as you can viably go, you should probably remove this bullet point.
  • Mention Toxic as an option on defensive teams.
  • Since the vast majority of Ferrothorn are Primordial Sea or Flash Fire, I don't think Fire-types are worth mentioning in C&C. Desolate Land fires force out Primo Sea Ferro and Mold Breaker fires force out FF Ferro, but either way it's a 50/50 chance (both abilities are equally as common in higher level play from my experience) and you can't be sure that your fire type will counter it.

Excellent analysis, it was really tough to find things!

QC 2/3

MZ

Alright, I implemented the moveset changes, general changes, and removed fire-types from c&c. Just noting that I didn't add toxic as an OO because ferrothorn's best answers are pretty much always poison heal users, magic bounce users, steel types, or offensive fires/magic guard users that you'd rather twave. I cant really think of what it's for other than crippling and beating defoggers like zapdos a little more easily and you can already seed and knock them. especially considering the extensive amount of options here I don't really see a need to add it, although if other qc want it at least mentioned then sure. Will be a bit on writing this up tho

Grim

The Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Honestly I'd prefer if Spikes gets a much bigger mention because it's pretty much the biggest reason why I use this thing. A lot of Pokemon can learn Stealth Rock but Spikes are harder to come by, especially on Pokemon that can consistently lay them down through the match. Either slash it over Stealth Rock and put Stealth Rock in Set Details or just make very clear that Spikes are just as good (if not better) as Stealth Rock. I also don't like that the main slashes don't have any entry hazards at all because Ferrothorn is used mostly for that.

Overview: Mention its access to both Stealth Rock and Spikes, and mention that Ferrothorn is one of the few decently safe Latios switch ins.

Moves: Also mention that Knock Off hits Victini and Doublade. Mention Iron Head targets. Of the main slashes I think Thunder Wave is the least important (doesn't help with fat switchins and the teams you use Ferrothorn on have other walls to beat setup sweepers) so imo slash Stealth Rock / Spikes in that slot.

Set Details: I wouldn't call max HP + 32 Defense and an Impish nature as physically bulky as possible lol, reword imo. I personally think Flash Fire is much better than Primordial Sea because you don't lose the Water-type resistance which is pretty important against Pokemon such as Manaphy, can switch into Will-O-Wisp making Ferrothorn an almost perfect Rotom-W switchin, and also don't lose to Desolate Land foes that switch in after Ferrothorn. Besides, Mold Break Fire-types aren't even that common. At the end of the day it comes down to preference and the rest of the team though so do what you want there, just make clear they're pretty much just as good. Oh and mention specially defensive to better take on Latios, Manaphy, etc.

Usage Tips: Also mention that Ferrothorn loses to Taunt Heatran even with a Fire immunity.

Team Options: Ferrothorn is not really a free switchin for Shaymin-S or Landorus-I, mention other stuff. Mention Ghost-types such as Doublade and Gengar to block Rapid Spin after Ferrothorn has done its hazard work, and Defiant / Competitive users such as Metagross too.

Other Options: Mold Breaker is slashed so remove it from here. Mention Regenerator and Bulletproof.

Checks and Counters: Mention that Shed Shell avoids Magnet Pull. Thundurus doesn't really use Taunt a lot and hates Knock Off so I'd use another example. I don't think special attackers in particular are troublesome for Ferrothorn even if its Special Defense is slightly lower than its Defense, it's mainly strong attackers with super effective coverage, both physical and special, that bother it. So yeah reword that to 'Super Effective Coverage' or something similar.

Do that and it's 3/3. :)

MZ

I'm questioning implementing some of these simply because they go directly against what other QC have suggested, so you guys might wanna sort that out. I did most, but I'd rather hold out on slashing rocks and spikes behind Twave (especially since rocks are now the first slash in the third slot) and removing special attackers from c&c. Sending to GP, if you guys wanna talk and decide that something needs to be changed then pls tell me (I'm also highly against removing special attackers, it makes no sense considering they do break ferro. Changing moveslots again I could see though). GrimoireGod

Grim

The Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm questioning implementing some of these simply because they go directly against what other QC have suggested, so you guys might wanna sort that out. I did most, but I'd rather hold out on slashing rocks and spikes behind Twave (especially since rocks are now the first slash in the third slot) and removing special attackers from c&c. Sending to GP, if you guys wanna talk and decide that something needs to be changed then pls tell me (I'm also highly against removing special attackers, it makes no sense considering they do break ferro. Changing moveslots again I could see though). GrimoireGod
We talked on Skype and it's alright as it is now.

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
GP 1/2 :)
[OVERVIEW]
Ferrothorn is a solid defensive Pokemon in the metagame with an excellent defensive typing, great utility, (AC) and a wide support movepool, (this is effectively "with excellent defensive typing, excellent utility, and excellent movepool" -- the last of which doesn't sound the greatest without an "an" in front, but you can't easily add one in without messing up the parallelism, which is why I made those edits. feel free to change the adjectives to whatever you like) making it a solid choice on balanced and defensive teams. It can check or counter the majority of the common offensive threats in the metagame, thanks to tier with its excellent defensive stats and typing, while still having some offensive utility thanks to its good dual STAB combination and decent Attack, even when uninvested. It also has rare access to both Spikes and Stealth Rock, making it a solid option on teams in need of entry hazards. However, Ferrothorn is prone to getting worn down thanks to its lack of reliable recovery and can be trapped by common Magnet Pull users. It will almost always be moving last thanks to its poor Speed, and it is somewhat passive and thus can be used as setup fodder if not unaware (elaborate? sorry) by some common boosting attackers such as Skarmory.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
(the order of moves here doesn't match the order on the set, so move stuff around so that it all lines up)
Power Whip is Ferrothorn's its best STAB move, (RC) and allows it to threaten bulky Water-types such as Suicune. Leech Seed can give Ferrothorn extra passive recovery and allows it to weaken bulkier foes that otherwise wall it such as Doublade. Knock Off allows Ferrothorn to cripple foes by removing their items and can force Toxic Poison Heal users to play more carefully around Ferrothorn before activating their Toxic Orb poisoned, as well as hitting Victini and Doublade. Stealth Rock can be used to wear down opposing teams, although Ferrothorn has difficulty fitting it onto its set. Spikes can also be run if one of Ferrothorn's teammates is already running Stealth Rock, and Worry Seed can be run to force Poison Heal users to switch out, as well as save Ferrothorn from being trapped when predicting Magnet Pull users to switch in. Thunder Wave allows Ferrothorn to cripple setup sweepers such as Swords Dance Lucario so that it can to avoid it being setup fodder, while Gyro Ball gives Ferrothorn a secondary strong hitting secondary STAB move to hit faster Dragon- and Flying-types such as Latios and Braviary. Iron Head can be run instead for more reliable damage versus slower foes such as Conkeldurr. Protect can also be run to get free turns for Ferrothorn to get more passive recovery from Leftovers and potentially Leech Seed.

Set Details
========
("x allows"/"y prevents" is a bit overused here imo)
Maximum HP investment and 32 Defense EVs with an Impish nature give Ferrothorn as much physical bulk as it can afford, while the 228 EVs in Special Defense allow Ferrothorn to survive two +3 Ice Beams from Manaphy and KO it with Power Whip. Flash Fire is the preferred ability, as it allows Ferrothorn to wall many offensive Fire-types, such as Victini and Entei, which can otherwise easily switch into Ferrothorn's resisted dual STAB moves and OHKO it. Primordial Sea can also be run to better beat Fire-types with Mold Breaker, at the cost of leaving Ferrothorn vulnerable to Will-O-Wisp. Mold Breaker allows Ferrothorn to set up entry hazards and Leech Seed versus Magic Bounce users, preventing it from being mostly dead weight against versus them. Unaware prevents Ferrothorn from being setup fodder for common sweepers such as Doublade and Skarmory lacking Taunt, allowing Ferrothorn to outstall them when using Leech Seed. Leftovers is by far the best item for Ferrothorn, as it provides some extra longevity and can work together with Leech Seed to keep Ferrothorn somewhat healthy. Zero Speed IVs and a Relaxed nature should be used when running Gyro Ball to make it hit as hard as possible.

Usage Tips
========

Ferrothorn should be used to set up entry hazards first and foremost to begin chipping away at the opponent's team as early fast as possible. Attempt to scout for opposing Magic Bounce users before going for hazards if not running Mold Breaker, as common users such as Mew and Chansey can easily switch into Ferrothorn and reflect its hazards. Use Leech Seed as much as possible, as it can keep Ferrothorn healthy while crippling foes, potentially allowing it to stay healthy enough to keep switching Ferrothorn into stronger attackers throughout longer matches. If running Flash Fire, Ferrothorn can be used as a mostly reliable switch-in to into Fire-types such as Entei and Heatran. However, be careful of freely switching Ferrothorn into choice Trick + Choice item variants of Victini and Substitute or Taunt variants of Heatran, as they can both beat Ferrothorn one-vson-one. Similarly, Ferrothorn is capable of beating some setup sweepers such as Skarmory and Doublade 1-v-1 one-on-one if running Unaware but should otherwise switch out versus them in order to avoid being setup fodder. Avoid burns Ferrothorn being burnt if possible, as they it renders it Ferrothorn mostly useless. If running Primordial Sea, Ferrothorn can be used to disrupt opposing weather teams by forcibly changing the weather it to heavy rain upon switching -in and removing all weather conditions when switching out.

Team Options
========

Specially defensive walls such as Goodra are important teammates for to run with Ferrothorn, as it can be a somewhat free switch in for strong special attackers such as Landorus-I and Hydreigon. Wish passers such as Vaporeon and Chansey can keep Ferrothorn healthy throughout longer games to make up for its lack of reliable recovery. Both are also notable specially defensive walls, which go well with Ferrothorn due to its _______ as mentioned before. Fighting-type checks such as Zapdos and Latias are useful for covering Ferrothorn's main weakness, although Fire-type switch-ins such as Suicune and Mega Ampharos are also essential for non-Primordial Sea or Flash Fire variants of Ferrothorn. Unaware users like Suicune are very useful for non-Unaware variants of Ferrothorn, which can often find themselves setup fodder for sweepers such as Skarmory and Gyarados. Strong wallbreakers and sweepers such as Latios and Mega Gyarados appreciate Ferrothorn's entry hazard support to wear down their defensive switch-ins and more easily break or sweep the opposing team. Azumarill is a notable partner for Ferrothorn, as it can check both Fighting- and Fire-type Pokemon as well as use its take advantage of Ferrothorn's entry hazards to wallbreak easily if running Huge Power or act as provide a defensive partner if running Poison Heal. Magnet Pull users such as Heatran can be used to remove opposing Steel-types, which can easily wall Ferrothorn otherwise. Heal Bell users such as Chansey and Diancie can help keep Ferrothorn free of burns. Ghost-types such as Doublade and Gengar and Defiant or Competitive users such as Mega Metagross and Mega Ampharos, (AC) respectively, (AC) can help spinblock and discourage Defogging once Ferrothorn has set up entry hazards.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Offensive Tough Claws sets can be used to lure in frail Pokemon such as Latios and Heatran that which assume that it's defensive and can be OHKOed by the correct coverage move, but such sets are used more as single-use lures and lack the utility and staying power of defensive sets. Similarly, offensive Curse sets with Flash Fire can be run as a more surprising bulky setup sweeper. Magic Bounce can be used to reflect opposing entry hazards and can sometimes catch foes off guard, but it otherwise lacks the utility provided by Ferrothorn's main abilities. Prankster allows Ferrothorn to have priority when setting entry hazards with increased priority, (RC) but, (AC) again, (AC) is otherwise mediocre compared to its main abilities. Regenerator can also be run to give Ferrothorn some much-needed recovery, and whereas Bulletproof allows it to wall Sheer Force Gengar. Rocky Helmet can be run to get extra chip damage on foes, but Ferrothorn prefers the recovery that Leftovers provides, (AC) as it's otherwise reliant on Leech Seed and Wish passing for healing. Shed Shell can be held to prevent Magnet Pull users from trapping Ferrothorn, but the item is otherwise useless and comes at the high cost of losing Leftovers.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Magnet Pull**: Magnet Pull users such as Infernape and Heatran pose the largest threat to Ferrothorn, (AC) as they can trap and KO it, leaving previously walled teammates free to cause issues for the rest of Ferrothorn's team. However, this can be circumvented with the rare Shed Shell.

**Steel-types**: Thanks to their resistances to both Grass and Steel, opposing Steel-types have little to fear from Ferrothorn. Some, such as Lucario and Scizor, can set up on Ferrothorn for a sweep, while others such as Genesect can simply fire off powerful attacks while taking little damage.

**Fighting-types**: No matter what ability Ferrothorn runs, most Fighting-types, such as Conkeldurr, can easily switch into it and threaten it out with their super effective STAB attacks. Some, such as Breloom and Blaziken, can also use Ferrothorn as setup fodder, (AC) as it can do fairly little to them.

**Magic Bounce Users**: Magic Bounce users such as Zapdos and Cresselia are Ferrothorn's greatest largest threats, as they prevent it from doing anything useful aside from attacking, forcing Ferrothorn to simply go for its attacking moves. However, running Mold Breaker prevents Magic Bounce Pokemon from reflecting its entry hazards and removes them as a threat. (AP)

**Setup Sweepers**: Bulkier setup sweepers that aren't weak to one of Ferrothorn's STAB moves, (AC) such as Snorlax and Mega Scizor, (AC) can easily boost on Ferrothorn while only being mildly annoyed by Leech Seed and proceed to sweep the rest of Ferrothorn's team. However, Unaware variants of Ferrothorn can ignore their offensive boosts and stall them out with Leech Seed.

**Taunt**: Taunt users such as Heatran and Mew are capable of shutting down Ferrothorn by forcing it to simply use its somewhat weak attacking moves. Taunt Skarmory can also set up on Ferrothorn and beat even Unaware variants one-von-one.

**Strong Special Attackers**: Due to Ferrothorn's lower Special Defense, strong special wallbreakers such as Tinted Lens Latios and Sheer Force Gengar can break through and KO Ferrothorn.

Last edited:

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
implement the check by clicking reply please, don't copypaste D: i removed all the excessive bold from the op myself this time but this kinda shouldn't be happening obviously

remove add (Capitalize / Fix) (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 2/2
GP: P Squared
[OVERVIEW]
Ferrothorn is a solid defensive Pokemon in the metagame with an excellent defensive typing, great utility, and a wide support movepool, making it a solid choice on balanced and defensive teams. It can check or counter the majority of the common offensive threats in the metagame, thanks to its excellent defensive stats and typing, while still having some offensive utility thanks to its good dual STAB combination and decent Attack, even when uninvested. It also has rare access to both Spikes and Stealth Rock, making it a solid option on teams in need of entry hazards. However, Ferrothorn is prone to getting worn down thanks to its lack of reliable recovery and can be trapped by common Magnet Pull users. It will almost always be moving last thanks to its poor Speed, and it is somewhat passive and thus can be used as setup fodder by some common boosting attackers such as Skarmory.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Power Whip is Ferrothorn's best STAB move and allows it to threaten bulky Water-types such as Suicune. Leech Seed can give Ferrothorn extra passive recovery and allows it to weaken bulkier foes that otherwise wall it such as Doublade. Stealth Rock can be used to wear down opposing teams, although Ferrothorn has difficulty fitting it onto its set. Spikes can also be run if one of Ferrothorn's teammates is already running Stealth Rock. Knock Off allows Ferrothorn to cripple foes by removing their items and can force Poison Heal users to play more carefully around Ferrothorn before activating their Toxic Orb, as well as hitting Victini and Doublade. Worry Seed can also be run to force Poison Heal users to switch out, as well as save Ferrothorn from being trapped when predicting Magnet Pull users to switch in. Thunder Wave allows Ferrothorn to cripple setup sweepers such as Swords Dance Lucario so that it can avoid being setup fodder, while Gyro Ball gives Ferrothorn a strong secondary STAB move to hit faster Dragon- and Flying-types such as Latios and Braviary. Iron Head can be run instead for more reliable damage versus slower foes such as Conkeldurr. Protect can also be run to get free turns for Ferrothorn to get more passive recovery from Leftovers and potentially Leech Seed.

Set Details
========

Maximum HP investment and 32 Defense EVs with an Impish nature give Ferrothorn as much physical bulk as it can afford, while the 228 EVs in Special Defense allow Ferrothorn to survive two +3 Ice Beams from Manaphy and KO it with Power Whip. Flash Fire is the preferred ability, as it helps Ferrothorn to wall many offensive Fire-types, such as Victini and Entei, which can otherwise easily switch into Ferrothorn's resisted dual STAB moves and OHKO it. Primordial Sea can also be run to better beat Fire-types with Mold Breaker, at the cost of leaving Ferrothorn vulnerable to Will-O-Wisp. Mold Breaker can be run to help Ferrothorn set up entry hazards and Leech Seed versus teams with Magic Bounce users, preventing it from being mostly dead weight against them. Unaware prevents Ferrothorn from being setup fodder for common sweepers such as Doublade and Skarmory lacking Taunt, allowing Ferrothorn to outstall them when using Leech Seed. Leftovers is by far the best item for Ferrothorn, as it provides some extra longevity and can work together with Leech Seed to keep Ferrothorn somewhat healthy. Zero Speed IVs and a Relaxed nature should be used when running Gyro Ball to make it hit as hard as possible.

Usage Tips
========

Ferrothorn should be used to set up entry hazards first and foremost to begin chipping away at the opponent's team as early as possible. Attempt to scout for opposing Magic Bounce users before going for hazards if not running Mold Breaker, as common users such as Mew and Chansey can easily switch into Ferrothorn and reflect its hazards. Use Leech Seed as much as possible, as it can keep Ferrothorn healthy while crippling foes, potentially allowing it Ferrothorn to stay healthy enough to keep switching into stronger attackers throughout longer matches. If running Flash Fire, Ferrothorn can be used as a mostly reliable switch-in to Fire-types such as Entei and Heatran. However, be careful of freely switching Ferrothorn into Trick + Choice item variants of Victini and Substitute or Taunt variants of Heatran, as they can both beat Ferrothorn one-on-one. Similarly, Ferrothorn is capable of beating some setup sweepers such as Skarmory and Doublade one-on-one if running Unaware but should otherwise switch out versus them in order to avoid being setup fodder. Avoid burns if possible, as they renders render Ferrothorn mostly useless. If running Primordial Sea, Ferrothorn can be used to disrupt opposing weather teams by forcibly changing the weather to heavy rain(space)upon switching (remove hyphen)in and removing all weather conditions when switching out.

Team Options
========

Specially defensive walls such as Goodra are important teammates for Ferrothorn, as it can be a somewhat free switch in(space)for strong special attackers such as Landorus and Hydreigon. Wish passers such as Vaporeon and Chansey can keep Ferrothorn healthy throughout longer games to make up for its lack of reliable recovery, both of which are also notable specially defensive walls. Fighting-type checks such as Zapdos and Latias are useful for covering Ferrothorn's main weakness, although Fire-type switch-ins to Fire-types such as Suicune and Mega Ampharos are also essential for non-Primordial Sea or Flash Fire variants of Ferrothorn. Unaware users like Suicune are very useful for non-Unaware variants of Ferrothorn, which can often find themselves setup fodder for sweepers such as Skarmory and Gyarados. Strong wallbreakers and sweepers such as Latios and Mega Gyarados appreciate Ferrothorn's entry hazard support to wear down their defensive switch-ins and more easily break or sweep the opposing team. Azumarill is a notable partner for Ferrothorn, as it can check both Fighting- and Fire-type Pokemon as well as take advantage of Ferrothorn's entry hazards to wallbreak easily if running Huge Power or act as a defensive partner if running Poison Heal. Magnet Pull users such as Heatran can be used to remove opposing Steel-types, which can easily wall Ferrothorn otherwise. Heal Bell users such as Chansey and Diancie can help keep Ferrothorn free of burns. Ghost-types such as Doublade and Gengar and Defiant or Competitive users such as Mega Metagross and Mega Ampharos, respectively, can help spinblock and discourage Defogging once Ferrothorn has set up entry hazards.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Offensive Tough Claws sets can be used to lure in frail Pokemon such as Latios and Heatran that assume that it's defensive and can be OHKOed by the correct coverage move, but such sets are used more as single-use lures and lack the utility and staying power of defensive sets. Similarly, offensive Curse sets with Flash Fire can be run as a more surprising bulky setup sweeper. Magic Bounce can be used to reflect opposing entry hazards and can sometimes catch foes off guard, but it otherwise lacks the utility provided by Ferrothorn's main abilities. Prankster allows Ferrothorn to set entry hazards with increased priority but, again, is otherwise mediocre compared to its main abilities. Regenerator can also be run to give Ferrothorn some much-needed recovery, whereas Bulletproof allows it to wall Sheer Force Gengar. Rocky Helmet can be run to get extra chip damage on foes, but Ferrothorn prefers the recovery that Leftovers provides, (AC) as it's otherwise reliant on Leech Seed and Wish passing for healing. Shed Shell can be held to prevent Magnet Pull users from trapping Ferrothorn, but the item is otherwise useless and running it comes at the high cost of losing Leftovers.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Magnet Pull**: Magnet Pull users such as Infernape and Heatran pose the largest threat to Ferrothorn, as they can trap and KO it, leaving previously walled teammates free to cause issues for the rest of Ferrothorn's team. However, this can be circumvented with the rare Shed Shell.

**Fighting-types**: No matter what ability Ferrothorn runs, most Fighting-types, such as Conkeldurr, can easily switch into it and threaten it out with their super effective STAB attacks. Some, such as Breloom and Blaziken, can also use Ferrothorn as setup fodder, as it can do fairly little to them.

**Magic Bounce Users**: Magic Bounce users such as Zapdos and Cresselia are Ferrothorn's greatest threats, as they prevent it from doing anything useful aside from attacking, forcing Ferrothorn to simply go for its attacking moves. However, running Mold Breaker prevents Magic Bounce Pokemon from reflecting its entry hazards and removes them as a threat.

**Setup Sweepers**: Bulkier setup sweepers that aren't weak to one of Ferrothorn's STAB moves, such as Snorlax and Mega Scizor, can easily boost on Ferrothorn while only being mildly annoyed by Leech Seed and proceed to sweep the rest of Ferrothorn's team. However, Unaware variants of Ferrothorn can ignore their offensive boosts and stall them out with Leech Seed.

**Taunt**: Taunt users such as Heatran and Mew are capable of shutting down Ferrothorn by forcing it to simply use its somewhat weak attacking moves. Taunt Skarmory can also set up on Ferrothorn and beat even Unaware variants one-on-one.

Last edited:

MZ

Done. sorry about the copy paste thing, normally it's faster for long checks unless I'm dumb enough to not remove all the AC's and unbold
Eevee General

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)