[AAA] Honchkrow

rs

STANDING ON BUSINESS
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
QC: Kl4ng / LaxLapras / motherlove
GP: The Dutch Plumberjack / Snobalt
P1MPKrow

[OVERVIEW]

Honchkrow makes it mark in the metagame with the highest Attack and Special Attack stats of all common Gale Wings users, beating out Pokemon like Braviary and Staraptor. What's more, with access to Sucker Punch in addition to Gale Wings, both of its strongest STAB moves have priority. It also has access to some fantastic moves in Superpower, Pursuit, and, when utilizing its Special Attack stat, Dark Pulse. However, though Honchkrow is the strongest Gale Wings user, it is also one of the frailest, with bad defenses both physically and specially. Honchkrow is also prone to being worn down due to its weakness to Stealth Rock and susceptibility to Brave Bird recoil. Due to its low Speed stat, it's also weak to common (and faster) Gale Wings, Refrigerate, and Pixilate priority users such as Staraptor, Entei, and Lucario.

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 1: Brave Bird
move 2: Sucker Punch
move 3: Pursuit
move 4: Superpower
item: Choice Band
ability: Gale Wings
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Brave Bird and Sucker Punch are Honchkrow's two strongest STAB moves, with both also coming with priority. Though Honchkrow will be locked into Sucker Punch with a Choice Band equipped, it's still its Dark-type STAB move of choice as it provides an extra form of priority. Pursuit allows Honchkrow to effectively trap Pokemon that would want to switch out of an incoming Brave Bird, such as Latios and Gengar. Superpower allows Honchkrow to hit Pokemon like Rock- or Steel-types such as Tyranitar and Heatran for super effective damage.

Set Details
========

A Choice Band gives a major boost to Honchkrow's already exceptional Attack stat, making it extremely hard to switch into due to its sheer power and possible coverage moves. Gale Wings is Honchkrow's ability of choice, helping out with its lackluster Speed and giving its strongest move, Brave Bird, priority. An Adamant nature and maximum investment in Attack and Speed allow Honchkrow to outspeed as many Pokemon as possible while also hitting as hard as possible.

Usage Tips
========

Choice Band Honchkrow should be used as a wallbreaker, revenge killer, and cleaner. Never click Sucker Punch unless you know for sure the foe is attacking, as Honchkrow could become setup fodder if the opponent predicts Sucker Punch. With Pursuit and a Choice Band, it can deal major damage to a Pokemon that is obviously switching out. Honchkrow can be brought in on a predicted Ground- or Psychic-type move, but it is generally safer to use a pivot or send it in after another teammate has fainted.

Team Options
========

Honchkrow has fantastic defensive synergy with Steel-types such as Doublade and Aegislash that can handle faster Gale Wings and -ate ability users that can KO Honchkrow. It also appreciates the help of entry hazard removers such as Skarmory and Zapdos, as with Stealth Rock up, Honchkrow can be worn down even more easily. Though it wants entry hazards off its own side of the field, Honchkrow wants them up on the other side, as extra residual damage on foes can help with Honchkrow's job as a cleaner. Setup sweepers such as Lucario and Manaphy complement Honchkrow, as they allows it to clean more easily late-game. U-turn and Volt Switch users such as Victini, Genesect, and Zapdos can bring Honchkrow in safely to break down more walls.

[SET]
name: Life Orb
move 2: Dark Pulse
move 3: Pursuit / Sucker Punch
move 4: Roost / Superpower
item: Life Orb / Sharp Beak
nature: Naughty
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Brave Bird and Dark Pulse are Honchkrow's obvious STAB moves, and Brave Bird also gets priority with the help of Gale Wings. Dark Pulse is a nice special STAB option, as it hits Doublade, Aegislash, and Skarmory, all of which are very common switch-ins to Gale Wings users. Pursuit allows Honchkrow to trap and KO Pokemon that want to switch out such as Latios and Gengar. Roost increases Honchkrow's longevity, which is especially helpful with Life Orb and Brave Bird recoil wearing it down. Sucker Punch is an option over Pursuit, as it gives Honchkrow an extra priority STAB option over Brave Bird. Superpower can be used over Roost to allow Honchkrow to hit Pokemon that would otherwise wall it, such as Tyranitar and Heatran.

Set Details
========

A Life Orb gives a nice boost to all of Honckrow's already strong moves, though one could also opt for Sharp Beak, which avoids Life Orb's recoil but only boosts the power of Brave Bird. Gale Wings is the obvious ability for Honchkrow, especially with its low Speed stat, giving priority to its strongest attack, Brave Bird. A Naughty nature allows both of Honchkrow's already high attacking stats to stay at their maximum levels. Maximum Attack and Speed investment allows Honchkrow to hit as hard as possible while also outspeeding as many Pokemon as possible.

Usage Tips
========

This set should be used as an effective revenge killer and cleaner with its very strong priority moves in Sucker Punch and Brave Bird. With the number of switches it can force, it might be best to Pursuit trap the threats switching out, as damage on them is always great, but also be aware that mispredicting the switch could end up with Honchkrow being KOed. With two immunities to common types in Ground and Psychic, Honchkrow can pivot in at any time with the right prediction. Roost should be used if Honchkrow forces a switch and is low on HP, increasing its longevity.

Team Options
========

Honchkrow works well with Steel-types to cover other Gale Wings users, such as Doublade and Aegislash. It also appreciates the help of entry hazard removers such as Skarmory and Zapdos, as with Stealth Rock up, Honchkrow can be worn down even more easily with Life Orb and Brave Bird recoil. Setup sweepers such as Lucario and Manaphy appreciate Honchkrow's ability to break walls, as it makes their job easier. U-turn and Volt Switch users such as Genesect and Zapdos can bring Honchkrow in safely.

[SET]
name: Adaptability
move 4: Dark Pulse
item: Life Orb
ability: Adaptability

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Brave Bird is Honchkrow's strongest move, and it can do a huge amount of damage even to Pokemon that resist it when boosted by Life Orb and Adaptability. Sucker Punch is its other physical STAB move, providing a form of priority for Honchkrow to hit faster foes. Pursuit is used to hit Pokemon that try to switch out, but be aware of Pokemon that can KO Honchkrow when staying in. Dark Pulse is Honchkrow's special attacking option, allowing it to hit Pokemon like Doublade and Skarmory for some nice damage.

Set Details
========

A Life Orb gives a nice boost to all of Honchkrow's attacking moves, further increasing its wallbreaking prowess. Adaptability is Honchkrow's ability, boosting the damage of its already strong STAB moves even further. It also allows Honchkrow to get past some of its normal counters such as Zapdos and Hippowdon. A Naughty nature allows Honchkrow to preserve both of its fantastic attacking stats while also keeping its Speed stat intact. Maximum Attack and Speed investment allows Honchkrow to hit as hard as possible with physical attacks while also outspeeding as many Pokemon as possible. The last 4 EVs are invested in Special Attack to give it a tiny boost to Dark Pulse's damage output.

Usage Tips
========

Adaptability Honchkrow should always be used as a wallbreaker due to its great attacking stats both physically and specially and the huge boost from its ability. Try never to bring Honchkrow on any attacks or when entry hazards are up, as with Brave Bird and Life Orb recoil, Honchkrow is worn down fairly easily as is. With immunities to Ground- and Psychic-type attacks, Honchkrow can pivot into them, but it's usually better just to bring it in safely off a U-turn or Volt Switch or when a teammate faints. Try to use Pursuit when the foe obviously has to switch out, as it gets a nice chunk of damage in.

Team Options
========

Steel-types are always great partners, such as Doublade and Aegislash, as they can handle Gale Wings and -ate ability users fairly well. Setup sweepers such as Lucario and Manaphy appreciate Honchkrow's ability to break down walls for them to have an easier team cleaning late-game. Entry hazard removers such as Tentacruel and Zapdos are essential with Honchkrow, as it's extremely easy to wear down with Brave Bird, Stealth Rock, and Life Orb damage. Slow U-turn and Volt Switch users can bring in Honchkrow safely to break down more walls.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Taunt could be used to stop Pokemon like Suicune and Snorlax from setting up. Tailwind is usable to support slower teammates that can dish out some major damage with the help of Tailwind. Substitute is an option on the Life Orb set, as it gives Honchkrow a chance to take an extra hit while firing off one of its very powerful attacks. Nasty Plot and Heat Wave are also options with Honchkrow if one decides to run a more specially oriented set.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Faster Priority Users**: Gale Wings, Refrigerate, and Pixilate users such as Staraptor, Entei, and Lucario can come in and easily KO Honchkrow with their priority moves.

**Bulky Pokemon That Resist Flying**: Pokemon like Skarmory, Diancie, and Zapdos can easily wall Honchkrow with their great natural bulk, though they can be broken down by the Adaptability set.

**Bulky Intimidate Physical Walls**: Pokemon like Hippowdon, Zapdos, and Mandibuzz can come in on Honchkrow, cut its Attack with Intimidate, and wall it, though with Adaptability and Dark Pulse, some of these Pokemon can be broken down.

**Stealth Rock**: Stealth Rock is probably the easiest way to wear down Honchkrow outside of its own Brave Bird. With the combined Stealth Rock and Brave Bird damage, Honchkrow won't last very long.

Last edited:

rs

STANDING ON BUSINESS
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
alright, fixed formatting + rewrote it a bit, and also implemented Kl4ng's first check (adding 2nd set).

tagging Kl4ng to check again

Laxpras

One small yeet for man, one giant yeet for mankind
Set 1
  • Superpower is an important option
  • Should have speed over HP. Bulk doesn't really do anything for it. Its frail. Speed for non priority moves such as pursuit/superpower
  • Need something to switch into atespeeders in team options
  • Genesect pairs really well with it on offense, takes on things such as skarmory, doublade, rock types, etc.
Set 2
  • I think this should be first option, most viable set
  • Again superpower should be there, for things like tyranitar, heatran
  • Again speed over bulk, adamant as first option
  • Choice band set should really just be physical attacks, if it wants special coverage, run the LO set. BBird/Pursuit/Sucker/Superpower first options
Strategy Comments
  • Stealth rock spam in checks

Overall: Most of set 2 analysis is copied from set 1. If you're going to make them almost identical, maybe they should just be same set with band as the preferred option?
Also, Adaptability is possibly worthy of its own set.

Last edited:

rs

STANDING ON BUSINESS
Set 1
  • Superpower is an important option
  • Should have speed over HP. Bulk doesn't really do anything for it. Its frail. Speed for non priority moves such as pursuit/superpower
  • Need something to switch into atespeeders in team options
  • Genesect pairs really well with it on offense, takes on things such as skarmory, doublade, rock types, etc.
Set 2
  • I think this should be first option, most viable set
  • Again superpower should be there, for things like tyranitar, heatran
  • Again speed over bulk, adamant as first option
  • Choice band set should really just be physical attacks, if it wants special coverage, run the LO set. BBird/Pursuit/Sucker/Superpower first options
Strategy Comments
  • Stealth rock spam in checks

Overall: Most of set 2 analysis is copied from set 1. If you're going to make them almost identical, maybe they should just be same set with band as the preferred option?
Also, Adaptability is possibly worthy of its own set.
Re-ordered sets and implemented, thanks! will have this written soon

Adaptability definitely deserves it's own set tbh, doesn't affect you half sa much as other gale wing mons since you keep sucker for priority (remember adapt bisharp's sucker punch? Same thing) and you get the 2hko on zapdos / hippodown with dark pulse after rocks.

Anyway:
Overview:
-Honch has the highest attack AND special attack stat of all common gale wing users. You talk about his special movepool a lot without once mentioning that it's good even thought it's one of his selling points.
-Heat wave isn't slashed in any set I don't even know if it's worth mentioning in the overview.
-Can you really call dark pulse and pursuit coverage considering both of them are stab moves? I'm not sure myself.

Set 1:
-LaxLapras, to be fair, brave bird and sucker punch are both priority moves while pursuit is for mons that switch out. Jolly ttar and timid heatran both outspeed you anyway so the benchmark to hit would be adamant max speed ttar (ran by bandtar) and that's 176 speed. I don't know what you'd use the extra speed for on a banded set bar like, timid max speed empoleon.
-In usage tips I would insist a bit more on the risks of using pursuit on a pokemon like gar or latios who can easily kill you if they predict.
-"With two common immunities in Ground- and Psychic-type moves, it can pivot in at any time with the right prediction" I wouldn't recommend switching honchkrow in considering how frail it is. And I wouldn't say psychic is common. Maybe say "Honch can be brought in on a predicted ground or psychic move but it is generally safer to use a pivot or send it after another pokemon got koed."
-In team option, you can't really say heatran can switch on -ate or gale wing since they all destroy him with coverage, maybe say "pokemons that can switch on faster priority users such as doublade or diancie"
-"Set up sweepers such as Lucario and Manaphy appreciate Honchkrow's ability to break walls as it makes their jobs as sweepers easier." That seems far stretched considering how common gale wing resists are in AAA. If anything I'd say the opposite is true, honch appreciates lucario's ability to break walls as it makes its sweeping easier. Or maybe special sweeepers like manaphy appreciate honchkrow's ability to pursuit opposing special walls like meloetta or goodra.

set 2:
-The main difference between the band set and the lo set is lo's ability to run mixed to get past doublade / skarmory after rocks. I would say brave bird and dark pulse are the two most important moves. So I would put move 1: brave bird, move 2: dark pulse, and slash sucker punch somewhere else.
-Don't run naive honch, run naughty.

Tbh since you basically write the same thing for both set you could just combine the two saying that the combination of life orb + dank pulse can be used to get past skarmory, doublade and shit.

OO:
Mention heat wave and nasty plot.

Checks and Counter:
A lot of the things you mentioned are killed by the adaptability set.

Laxpras

One small yeet for man, one giant yeet for mankind
Adaptability definitely deserves it's own set tbh, doesn't affect you half sa much as other gale wing mons since you keep sucker for priority (remember adapt bisharp's sucker punch? Same thing) and you get the 2hko on zapdos / hippodown with dark pulse after rocks.

Anyway:
Overview:
-Honch has the highest attack AND special attack stat of all common gale wing users. You talk about his special movepool a lot without once mentioning that it's good even thought it's one of his selling points.
-Heat wave isn't slashed in any set I don't even know if it's worth mentioning in the overview.
-Can you really call dark pulse and pursuit coverage considering both of them are stab moves? I'm not sure myself.

Set 1:
-LaxLapras, to be fair, brave bird and sucker punch are both priority moves while pursuit is for mons that switch out. Jolly ttar and timid heatran both outspeed you anyway so the benchmark to hit would be adamant max speed ttar (ran by bandtar) and that's 176 speed. I don't know what you'd use the extra speed for on a banded set bar like, timid max speed empoleon.
-In usage tips I would insist a bit more on the risks of using pursuit on a pokemon like gar or latios who can easily kill you if they predict.
-"With two common immunities in Ground- and Psychic-type moves, it can pivot in at any time with the right prediction" I wouldn't recommend switching honchkrow in considering how frail it is. And I wouldn't say psychic is common. Maybe say "Honch can be brought in on a predicted ground or psychic move but it is generally safer to use a pivot or send it after another pokemon got koed."
-In team option, you can't really say heatran can switch on -ate or gale wing since they all destroy him with coverage, maybe say "pokemons that can switch on faster priority users such as doublade or diancie"
-"Set up sweepers such as Lucario and Manaphy appreciate Honchkrow's ability to break walls as it makes their jobs as sweepers easier." That seems far stretched considering how common gale wing resists are in AAA. If anything I'd say the opposite is true, honch appreciates lucario's ability to break walls as it makes its sweeping easier. Or maybe special sweeepers like manaphy appreciate honchkrow's ability to pursuit opposing special walls like meloetta or goodra.

set 2:
-The main difference between the band set and the lo set is lo's ability to run mixed to get past doublade / skarmory after rocks. I would say brave bird and dark pulse are the two most important moves. So I would put move 1: brave bird, move 2: dark pulse, and slash sucker punch somewhere else.

Tbh since you basically write the same thing for both set you could just combine the two saying that the combination of life orb + dank pulse can be used to get past skarmory, doublade and shit.

OO:

Checks and Counter:
252 speed EVs puts you at 241. This at least gives you a chance to outspeed base 100 such as mew, celebi, jirachi, that don't have much speed investments. This can be crucial for dark pulse, pursuit if they are low but don't switch out. Also lets you speedtie or outspeed other honchcrows, for whatever thats worth. Unless you can show me how bulk is really gunna help it, the chance to outspeed non invested base 100s is definitely more important in my mind. The only time I could imagine not running 252 speed is an adaptability set, if SpA needs to hit a certain benchmark for a key KO.

252 speed EVs puts you at 241. This at least gives you a chance to outspeed base 100 such as mew, celebi, jirachi, that don't have much speed investments. This can be crucial for dark pulse, pursuit if they are low but don't switch out. Also lets you speedtie or outspeed other honchcrows, for whatever thats worth. Unless you can show me how bulk is really gunna help it, the chance to outspeed non invested base 100s is definitely more important in my mind. The only time I could imagine not running 252 speed is an adaptability set, if SpA needs to hit a certain benchmark for a key KO.
Aight.
The only calc I looked at was,
80 SpA Life Orb Honchkrow Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 168-199 (50.2 - 59.5%) -- 78.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
vs
4 SpA Life Orb Honchkrow Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 156-185 (46.7 - 55.3%) -- 17.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Rather niche and situational thought.
Adapt definitely wants 252 speed since you can 2hko zapdos and 16 speed zapdos (which is the OU set who a lot of ppl run anyway) reaches 240 speed.
So I guess max speed is the way to go.

rs

STANDING ON BUSINESS

Anyway:
Overview:

Set 1:

set 2:

OO:

Checks and Counter:
implemented, I kept all 3 sets, lmk how it looks

Set2:
-move the 4 evs from Sdef to Satk
-"as it helps hit Doublade, Aegislash or skarmory" you 2hko after rocks and it's an important mon to 2hko for gw users.
-you're still listing an adamant nature in set details. (see what you wrote in set 3 for reference)
-"Genesect for one can help Honchkrow deal with Skarmory, Doublade, and Aegislash fairly easily." mixed honchkrow already deals with theses three mons.

Set 3:
-Mention somewhere (like in set details where you talk about adapt) that adaptability helps honchkrow get past some of it's usual counters such as zapdos or hippodown. (actually showing reasons to use the set)

Do that then 3/3.

Reactions: rs

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
remove add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 1/2
[OVERVIEW]

Honchkrow makes it place mark in the metagame as having with the highest Attack and Special Attack stats of all common Gale Wings users, (AC) over beating out Pokemon like Braviary and Staraptor. That's not all with Honchkrow though. What's more, with access to Sucker Punch as well as in addition to Gale Wings, it gains priority with both of its strongest STAB moves. It also has access to some fantastic filler moves in Superpower, (AC) and Pursuit, and, (AC) with the utilization of when utilizing its Special Attack stat, Dark Pulse. Though Honchkrow does seem to have a wide variety of strengths, it does of course come with some weaknesses. For one, However, though it Honchkrow is the strongest Gale Wings user, it is also one of the frailest with weak Defenses on bad defenses both sides physically and specially. Honchkrow is also prone susceptible to being worn down due to its weakness to Stealth Rocks Rock and susceptibility to Brave Bird recoil. Due to its low Speed stat as well, it's (apo) also weak to common (and faster) Gale Wings, Refrigerate, and Pixilate priority users such as Staraptor, Entei, and Lucario.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Brave Bird and Sucker Punch are Honchkrow's 2 two strongest STAB moves, with both also providing coming with priority with both. Though note that Honchkrow can will be locked into Sucker Punch with a Choice Band equipped, it's still its Dark-type STAB move of choice. Pursuit allows Honchkrow to effectively trap Pokemon that would want to switch out on of an incoming Brave Bird, (AC) such as Latios or and Gengar. Superpower is Honchkrow's coverage move of choice that allows it Honchkrow to hit Pokemon like Rock- or Steel-types such as Tyranitar and Heatran for super effective damage.

Set Details
========

A Choice Band gives a major boost to Honchkrow's already exceptional Attack stat, making Honchkrow it extremely hard to switch into due to the its sheer power and possible coverage moves. Gale Wings is Honchkrow's ability of choice, helping out with its lackluster Speed and giving its strongest move, Brave Bird, (AC) priority. An Adamant nature and maximum investment in Attack and Speed allow Honchkrow to outspeed as many Pokemon as possible while also hitting as hard as possible.

Usage Tips
========

Choice Band Honchkrow should be used as a wallbreaker, revenge killer, and cleaner. Never click Sucker Punch unless you know for sure the foe is attacking, as Honchkrow could potentially become set-up setup fodder if they predict the Sucker Punch. With Pursuit and a Choice Band, it can deal major damage a Pokemon that is obviously switching out. Honchkrow can be brought in on a predicted Ground- or Psychic-type move, (AC) but it is generally safer to use a pivot or send it after another teammate has fainted.

Team Options
========

Honchkrow has fantastic defensive synergy with Steel-types such as Doublade (RC) and Aegislash that can handle faster Gale Wings and -ate ability users that can KO Honchkrow. Honchrkow It also appreciates the help of entry hazard removers such as Skarmory and Zapdos, as with Stealth Rocks Rock up, Honchkrow can be worn down even easier more easily. Though it wants hazards off of its own side of the field, Honchkrow wants them up on the other side, as opponents with extra residual damage on foes can help Honchkrow's job as a cleaner easier. Set up Setup sweepers such as Lucario and Manaphy compliment complement Honchkrow as it allows it (one should be a they, who allows who?)to clean easier more easily late-game. (AH) U-turners and Volt Switch users such as Zapdos, Victini, and Genesect, (AC) and Zapdos can bring Honchkrow in safely to break down more walls.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Brave Bird and Dark Pulse are Honchkrow's obvious STAB and priority moves, and Brave Bird also gets priority with the help of Gale Wings. Dark Pulse is a nice special STAB option, as it helps hit Doublade, Aegislash, and Skarmory, very common switch-ins to Gale Wings users. Pursuit allows Honchkrow to trap and KO Pokemon that want to switch out of Honchkrow such as Latios and Gengar. Roost increases Honchkrow's longevity, which is especially helpful with Life Orb and Brave Bird recoil wearing it down. Sucker Punch is an option over Pursuit, (AC) as it gives Honchkrow an extra priority STAB option over Brave Bird. Superpower can be used over Pursuit, (AC; also not over Roost?) which allows Honchkrow to hit Pokemon that would otherwise wall it, such as Tyranitar and Heatran.

Set Details
========

A Life Orb gives a nice boost to all of Honckrow's already strong moves, while though one could also opt for Sharp Beak, avoiding which avoids Life Orb recoil but only boosting boosts the power of Brave Bird. Gale Wings is the obvious ability for Honchkrow, especially with its low Speed stat, giving priority to its strongest attack, Brave Bird. A Naughty nature is Honchkrow's top preferred choice, as it allows both of its already high attacking stats to stay at maximum. Maximum Attack and Speed investment allows Honchkrow to hit as hard as possible while also outspeeding as many Pokemon as possible.

Usage Tips
========

This set should be used as an effective revenge killer and cleaner with its very strong priority moves in Sucker Punch and Brave Bird. With the amount number of switches it can force, it might be best to Pursuit trap the threats switching out, as damage on them is always great, but also be aware that mispredicting the switch and being wrong could end up in Honchkrow's death being KOed. With two immunities to common types in Ground (RH) and Psychic-type moves, it Honchkrow can pivot in at any time with the right prediction. Roost should be used if Honchkrow forces a switch and is low on HP, increasing its longevity.

Team Options
========

Honchkrow works well with Steel-types for to cover other Gale Wings users, (AC) such as Doublade (RC) and Aegislash. It also appreciates the help of entry hazard removers such as Skarmory and Zapdos, as with Stealth Rocks Rock up, Honchkrow can be worn down even easier more easily with Life Orb and Brave Bird recoil. Set up Setup sweepers such as Lucario and Manaphy appreciate Honchkrow's ability to break walls, (AC) as it makes their job easier. U-turners and Volt Switch users such as Zapdos and Genesect and Zapdos can bring Honchkrow in safely.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Brave Bird is Honchkrow's strongest move, (AC) which and it can do a huge amount of damage even to Pokemon that resist it coupled with a when boosted by Life Orb and Adaptability. Sucker Punch is its other physical STAB move, providing a form of priority for Honchkrow to hit faster foes. Pursuit is used to hit Pokemon that try to switch out, but be aware of Pokemon that can KO by Honchkrow when staying in. Dark Pulse is Honchkrow's special attacking option, allowing it to hit Pokemon like Doublade and Skarmory for some nice damage.

Set Details
========

A Life Orb gives a nice boost to all of Honchkrow's attacking moves, further increasing its wallbreaking prowess. Adaptability is Honchkrow's ability, doubling boosting (it doesn't really double them cause x2 =/= 2x x1,5) the damage of any of its already strong STAB moves even further. It also allows Honchkrow to get past some of its normal counters such as Zapdos or and Hippowdon. Naughty is the nature of choice for Honchkrow, as it allows Honchkrow to not decrease either preserve both of its fantastic attacking stats while also keeping its Speed stat in tact intact. Maximum Attack and Speed investment allows Honchkrow to hit as hard as possible on the physical side with physical attacks while also outspeeding as many Pokemon as possible. The last 4 EVs were are invested in Special Attack to give it a tiny addition to its Dark Pulse's damage output.

Usage Tips
========

Adaptability Honchkrow should always be used as a wallbreaker due to its powerful great attacking stats on both the physically and specially sides and the huge boost from its ability. Try never to never bring Honchkrow on any attacks or entry hazards, (AC) as with Brave Bird and Life Orb recoil, Honchkrow is worn down fairly easily as is. With immunities to Ground- and Psychic-type attacks, Honchkrow can pivot into them, but it's usually just to bring it in safely off of a U-turn or Volt Switch or when a teammate faints. Try to use Pursuit when the opponent foe obviously has to switch out, as it gets a nice chunk of damage in.

Team Options
========

Steel-types are always great partners, (AC) such as Doublade and Aegislash, (AC) as they can handle Gale Wings and -ate ability users fairly well. Set-up Setup sweepers such as Lucario appreciate Honchkrow's ability to break down walls for it (again, or them?) to have an easier team cleaning late-game. (AH) Entry hazard removers such as Tentacruel or and Zapdos are essential with Honchkrow, (AC) as it's (apo) extremely easy to wear down with Brave Bird, Stealth Rock, and Life Orb damage. Slow U-turners and Volt Switch users can bring in Honchkrow safely to break down more walls.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Taunt could be used to stop set up Pokemon looking to sweep like Suicune or and Snorlax from setting up. Adaptability is usable over Gale Wings to give a boost to Honchkrow's already strong STAB moves, though it does forces it to miss out on priority Brave Bird, which really hurts considering Honchkrow's mediocre Speed stat. Tailwind is usable to support slower teammates that can dish out some major damage with the help of Tailwind. Substitute is an option on the Life Orb set, as it gives Honchkrow a chance to take an extra hit while firing off one of its very powerful attacks. Nasty Plot and Heat Wave are also options with Honchkrow if one decides to run a more specially oriented set.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Faster Priority users**: Gale Wings, Refrigerate, and Pixilate users such as Staraptor, Entei, and Lucario can come in and easily KO Honchkrow with their priority moves.

**Bulky Pokemon That Resist Flying-type resists**: Pokemon like Skarmory, Diancie, and Zapdos can easily wall Honchkrow with their great natural bulk, though they can be broken down by the Adaptability set.

**Bulky Intimidate Physical Walls**: Pokemon like Hippowdown Hippowdon, Zapdos, and Mandibuzz can come in on Honchkrow with Intimidate and wall it, though with Adaptability and Dark Pulse, some of these can be broken down.

**Stealth Rock**: Stealth Rocks are Rock is probably the easiest way to wear down Honchkrow before its own Brave Bird. With the combined with the Stealth Rocks and Brave Bird damage, Honchkrow won't last very long.

Last edited:

Empress

Don't waffle or you'll get pancaked
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Add Remove Comment
[OVERVIEW]

Honchkrow makes it mark in the metagame with the highest Attack and Special Attack stats of all common Gale Wings users, beating out Pokemon like Braviary and Staraptor. What's more, with access to Sucker Punch in addition to Gale Wings, it gains priority with both of its strongest STAB moves have priority. (subjective) It also has access to some fantastic filler (perhaps try something more positive?) moves in Superpower, Pursuit, and, when utilizing its Special Attack stat, Dark Pulse. However, though Honchkrow is the strongest Gale Wings user, it is also one of the frailest, (AC) with bad defenses both physically and specially. Honchkrow is also prone to being worn down due to its weakness to Stealth Rock and susceptibility to Brave Bird recoil. Due to its low Speed stat, it's also weak to common (and faster) Gale Wings, Refrigerate, and Pixilate priority users such as Staraptor, Entei, and Lucario.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Brave Bird and Sucker Punch are Honchkrow's two strongest STAB moves, with both also coming with priority. Though Honchkrow will be locked into Sucker Punch with a Choice Band equipped, it's still its Dark-type STAB move of choice (Why? If you can't explain why, this should be taken out). Pursuit allows Honchkrow to effectively trap Pokemon that would want to switch out of an incoming Brave Bird, such as Latios and Gengar. Superpower allows Honchkrow to hit Pokemon like Rock- or Steel-types such as Tyranitar and Heatran for super effective damage.

Set Details
========

A Choice Band gives a major boost to Honchkrow's already exceptional Attack stat, making it extremely hard to switch into due to its sheer power and possible coverage moves. Gale Wings is Honchkrow's ability of choice, helping out with its lackluster Speed and giving its strongest move, Brave Bird, priority. An Adamant nature and maximum investment in Attack and Speed allow Honchkrow to outspeed as many Pokemon as possible while also hitting as hard as possible.

Usage Tips
========

Choice Band Honchkrow should be used as a wallbreaker, revenge killer, and cleaner. Never click Sucker Punch unless you know for sure the foe is attacking, as Honchkrow could become setup fodder if they opponent predicts the Sucker Punch. With Pursuit and a Choice Band, it can deal major damage to a Pokemon that is obviously switching out. Honchkrow can be brought in on a predicted Ground- or Psychic-type move, but it is generally safer to use a pivot or send it in after another teammate has fainted.

Team Options
========

Honchkrow has fantastic defensive synergy with Steel-types such as Doublade and Aegislash that can handle faster Gale Wings and -ate ability users that can KO Honchkrow. It also appreciates the help of entry hazard removers such as Skarmory and Zapdos, as with Stealth Rock up, Honchkrow can be worn down even more easily. Though it wants entry hazards off its own side of the field, Honchkrow wants them up on the other side, as extra residual damage on foes can help with Honchkrow's job as a cleaner. Setup sweepers such as Lucario and Manaphy complement Honchkrow, (AC) as they allows it to clean more easily late-game. U-turn and Volt Switch users such as Victini, Genesect, and Zapdos can bring Honchkrow in safely to break down more walls.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Brave Bird and Dark Pulse are Honchkrow's obvious STAB and priority moves, and Brave Bird also gets priority with the help of Gale Wings. Dark Pulse is a nice special STAB option, as it helps hits Doublade, Aegislash, and Skarmory, all of which are very common switch-ins to Gale Wings users. Pursuit allows Honchkrow to trap and KO Pokemon that want to switch out such as Latios and Gengar. Roost increases Honchkrow's longevity, which is especially helpful with Life Orb and Brave Bird recoil wearing it down. Sucker Punch is an option over Pursuit, as it gives Honchkrow an extra priority STAB option over Brave Bird. Superpower can be used over Roost, which to allows Honchkrow to hit Pokemon that would otherwise wall it, such as Tyranitar and Heatran.

Set Details
========

A Life Orb gives a nice boost to all of Honckrow's already strong moves, though one could also opt for Sharp Beak, which avoids Life Orb's recoil but only boosts the power of Brave Bird. Gale Wings is the obvious ability for Honchkrow, especially with its low Speed stat, giving priority to its strongest attack, Brave Bird. A Naughty nature is Honchkrow's preferred choice, as it allows both of its Honchkrow's already high attacking stats to stay at their maximum levels. Maximum Attack and Speed investment allows Honchkrow to hit as hard as possible while also outspeeding as many Pokemon as possible.

Usage Tips
========

This set should be used as an effective revenge killer and cleaner with its very strong priority moves in Sucker Punch and Brave Bird. With the number of switches it can force, it might be best to Pursuit trap the threats switching out, as damage on them is always great, but also be aware that mispredicting the switch could end up in with Honchkrow being KOed. With two immunities to common types in Ground and Psychic, Honchkrow can pivot in at any time with the right prediction. Roost should be used if Honchkrow forces a switch and is low on HP, increasing its longevity.

Team Options
========

Honchkrow works well with Steel-types to cover other Gale Wings users, such as Doublade and Aegislash. It also appreciates the help of entry hazard removers such as Skarmory and Zapdos, as with Stealth Rock up, Honchkrow can be worn down even more easily with Life Orb and Brave Bird recoil. Setup sweepers such as Lucario and Manaphy appreciate Honchkrow's ability to break walls, as it makes their job easier. U-turn and Volt Switch users such as Genesect and Zapdos can bring Honchkrow in safely.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Brave Bird is Honchkrow's strongest move, and it can do a huge amount of damage even to Pokemon that resist it when boosted by Life Orb and Adaptability. Sucker Punch is its other physical STAB move, providing a form of priority for Honchkrow to hit faster foes. Pursuit is used to hit Pokemon that try to switch out, but be aware of Pokemon that can KO Honchkrow when staying in. Dark Pulse is Honchkrow's special attacking option, allowing it to hit Pokemon like Doublade and Skarmory for some nice damage.

Set Details
========

A Life Orb gives a nice boost to all of Honchkrow's attacking moves, further increasing its wallbreaking prowess. Adaptability is Honchkrow's ability, boosting the damage of any of its already strong STAB moves even further. It also allows Honchkrow to get past some of its normal counters such as Zapdos and Hippowdon. A Naughty is the nature of choice for Honchkrow, as it allows Honchkrow to preserve both of its fantastic attacking stats while also keeping its Speed stat intact. Maximum Attack and Speed investment allows Honchkrow to hit as hard as possible with physical attacks while also outspeeding as many Pokemon as possible. The last 4 EVs are invested in Special Attack to give it a tiny addition boost (subjective) to Dark Pulse's damage output.

Usage Tips
========

Adaptability Honchkrow should always be used as a wallbreaker due to its great attacking stats both physically and specially and the huge boost from its ability. Try never to bring Honchkrow on any attacks or when entry hazards are up, as with Brave Bird and Life Orb recoil, Honchkrow is worn down fairly easily as is. With immunities to Ground- and Psychic-type attacks, Honchkrow can pivot into them, but it's usually better just to bring it in safely off a U-turn or Volt Switch or when a teammate faints. Try to use Pursuit when the foe obviously has to switch out, as it gets a nice chunk of damage in.

Team Options
========

Steel-types are always great partners, such as Doublade and Aegislash, as they can handle Gale Wings and -ate ability users fairly well. Setup sweepers such as Lucario and Manaphy appreciate Honchkrow's ability to break down walls for them to have an easier team cleaning late-game. Entry hazard removers such as Tentacruel and Zapdos are essential with Honchkrow, as it's extremely easy to wear down with Brave Bird, Stealth Rock, and Life Orb damage. Slow U-turn and Volt Switch users can bring in Honchkrow safely to break down more walls.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Taunt could be used to stop Pokemon like Suicune and Snorlax from setting up. Adaptability is usable over Gale Wings to give a boost to Honchkrow's already strong STAB moves, though it forces it to miss out on priority Brave Bird, which really hurts considering Honchkrow's mediocre Speed stat. (Considering Adaptability has its own set, do you need to keep this bit in?) Tailwind is usable to support slower teammates that can dish out some major damage with the help of Tailwind. Substitute is an option on the Life Orb set, as it gives Honchkrow a chance to take an extra hit while firing off one of its very powerful attacks. Nasty Plot and Heat Wave are also options with Honchkrow if one decides to run a more specially oriented set.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Faster Priority users Users**: Gale Wings, Refrigerate, and Pixilate users such as Staraptor, Entei, and Lucario can come in and easily KO Honchkrow with their priority moves.

**Bulky Pokemon That Resist Flying**: Pokemon like Skarmory, Diancie, and Zapdos can easily wall Honchkrow with their great natural bulk, though they can be broken down by the Adaptability set.

**Bulky Intimidate Physical Walls**: Pokemon like Hippowdon, Zapdos, and Mandibuzz can come in on Honchkrow, cut its Attack with Intimidate, (AC) and wall it, though with Adaptability and Dark Pulse, some of these Pokemon can be broken down.

**Stealth Rock**: Stealth Rock is probably the easiest way to wear down Honchkrow before outside of its own Brave Bird. With the combined Stealth Rock and Brave Bird damage, Honchkrow won't last very long.
GP 2/2

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)