[AAA] Latios

[OVERVIEW]

• Latios is a strong offensive presence in the AAA metagame due to its potent combination of Special Attack and coverage; in fact, there are few Pokemon that can reliably wall it
  • Speed tier lets it tie with other base 110s such as Gengar and outrun anything slower than that, making it a good wallbreaker and late-game sweeper
  • Doubles as a solid offensive Defogger
  • Can run Adaptability to power up its STABs or Tinted Lens to bust through resisted targets such as Heatran and Doublade
  • Its typing is really nice, letting it switch into common Fire and Psychic moves as well as Water, Grass, Electric, and Fighting
  • Gets reliable recovery in Roost, which further augments its decent 80 / 80 / 110 defenses
  • Weak to common attacks such as U-turn, Pursuit, Knock Off, and Sucker Punch
  • A bit frail on the physical side, can be revenge killed easily by Gale Wing users and faster physical attackers
  • Hurt by the influx of Steel-types in the metagame
  • Latios will be switching in and out a lot due to Special Attack drops from Draco Meteor, so it will get worn down a lot by residual damage; the drops also make Latios somewhat predictable and easy to take advantage of

[SET]
name: Life Orb
move 1: Draco Meteor
move 2: Psyshock
move 3: Roost
move 4: Defog / Calm Mind
item: Life Orb
ability: Adaptability / Tinted Lens
nature: Timid
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

• Draco Meteor is Latios's most powerful and spammable attack, boasting a noice 210 / 280 Base Power after STAB
  • Psyshock is a useful secondary STAB move, letting Latios get past Chansey and other special walls, as well as win possible Calm Mind wars. It also give Latios a STAB move that doesn't lower its Special Attack
  • Roost is useful to heal up during the match and helps Latios shrug off resisted hits and Life Orb damage
  • The last slot depends on what suits your team better. Latios is an excellent user of Defog thanks to its offensive presence and numerous key resistances
  • If your team doesn't need hazard control, Calm Mind is an excellent second option, allowing Latios to boost up and sweep through more defensive teams

Set Details
========

• The spread and nature are fairly simple, giving Latios a ton of power while complementing its great Speed tier
  • Life Orb gives Latios some extra firepower while allowing it to switch up moves
  • Adaptability gives a noice boost to Latios's STAB moves, and holy shit is Latios strong with this ability (will reword in writeup)
  • Alternatively, Tinted Lens allows Latios to hit Pokemon that would normally resist its attacks for neutral damage, particularly Steel-types, which enables it to essentially 2HKO most of the tier
  • Drought or Drizzle could be utilized on this set, as Latios can contribute valuable resistances to certain weather teams

Usage Tips
========

• This set is basically supposed to use its resistances to pivot into stuff like

Team Options
========

Describe some teammates that would be a good idea to pair with this Pokemon.

[SET]
name: Choice Specs
move 1: Draco Meteor
move 3: Trick
move 4: Surf / Shadow Ball
item: Choice Specs

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Describe what the moves on the set do.

Set Details
========

Describe the other aspects of the set such as what the EVs do and nature/item.

Usage Tips
========

Describe how to use the Pokemon in question.

Team Options
========

Describe some teammates that would be a good idea to pair with this Pokemon.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

List some options for the Pokemon user that are plausible but not always recommended due to either being not consistent enough or too outclassed by other Pokemon in the metagame.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Insert Threat Here**: Describe why the Pokemon is a threat.

Last edited:

Grim

The Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi, I'm not QC and I know this is WIP but I don't really agree with the sets you have at the moment. There really isn't much use in limiting yourself to one move with Choice Specs when you can just use Life Orb and still be an incredible wallbreaker while also having the utility of Roost, Defog, Calm Mind, and even more niche stuff like Heal Block. Hidden Power Fire is also just a waste of a moveslot in my opinion as the Steel-types that it targets use Flash Fire / Primordial Sea 90% of the time. If you want to use Latios to lure in Steel-types you use Tinted Lens and click Draco Meteor, and avoid the Speed drop too (pretty big in Latios's crowded Speed tier. If it were up to me the set would be like this:

name: Life Orb
move 1: Draco Meteor (please no Dragon Pulse lol)
move 3: Roost
move 4: Calm Mind / Defog (Calm Mind is generally the best option but Defog is often the last moveslot because teams tend to have Stealth Rock weak Pokemon)
item: Life Orb

This is the only set that I think definitely should be here, others such as Choice Specs, Choice Scarf, sun support (I don't sea the appeal of this btw), can be in Other Options.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions, GrimoireGod! Taking what you said into account, I removed the weather support set and changed Life Orb to the set you recommended. I decided to keep Choice Specs, though, since thats one of Latios's best sets, but I'll make it the second set in a bit (i need to get to school rn)

I already posted in the reservation thread but I'm dropping this analysis because I need to focus on other stuff like HW and I'm a bit inexperienced in this tier, I might come back to this later though. Mods do your thing I guess.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)