Ability Balance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magma

Approved by The Eevee General

- ABILITY BALANCE -

There are plenty of great PetMods going on right now that balance the current meta-game. Unfortunately, many of them become so complex that its difficult to remember every single change; and instead of balancing the old meta, a brand new one is made.

Ability Balance makes an attempt at keeping the complicated process of balancing the meta as simple as possible by ONLY allowing changes to the mechanics of UNVIABLE abilities. So with that said, changes in type, movepool, moves, and stats are banned here.

Sadly, there is no official rule-book that tell us which abilities are "bad," so for now, every ability that isn't on a moveset above C class will be considered "bad." Every week I will randomly pick a few bad abilities for us as a community to convert to competitive ones by going through a 3-step process:

PHASE #1: Submissions (2 - 3 days)

Once I post the slate, the thread will be open to submissions. (Please post only 1 submission per ability.)

A typical slate will list 3-4 abilities, along with their descriptions and the Pokemon that learn them. Expect something like this:
Let's buff the following bad abilities:
Prevents critical hits.

If this Pokemon is not holding an item, it steals the held item of a target it hits with a move.

Boosts the power of Aura and Pulse moves, such as Aura Sphere and Dark Pulse, by 50%.

Posting a submission is pretty straight forward as well, just make sure to follow the layout below (ability-name in bold on the first line with the ability-description on the next line):

Your submissions do NOT have to be built on top of the ability's original functionality; however, for each submission, everyone is required to write up a short justification paragraph explaining your submission's flavor as well as the logic behind your revamp.

(I will update the examples below with flavor and logic descriptions asap.)

Shell Armor
All attacks against this Pokemon are calculated with its Defense stat. (Effect is removed if Shell Smash is used.)

Magician
This Pokemon takes opponent stat drops and turns them into stat gains for itself.

Mega Launcher
Boosts the power and accuracy of moves ignored by Bulletproof (bomb, ball, and cannon based moves) by 30%. (Hydro Cannon, Spike Cannon, and Flash Cannon are now included as cannon based moves)

PHASE #2: Voting (1 - 2 days)

At the beginning of the voting phase I will organize and list all of the submissions in a new post.

Pick your top 3 submissions for each ability (by following the layout below) and PM your votes to me.
Ability-Name
User X (Favorite effect) (3 points)
User Y (Second favorite effect) (2 points)
User Z (Third favorite effect) (1 point)

(Do not include the things that are in parentheses)

PHASE #3: Discussion (2 - 3 days)

During the discussion phase we will address the following questions relative to each winning ability:
  • Which Pokemon, with this upgraded ability, are now viable thanks to the buff? (List movesets and damage-calcs if possible.)
  • If this thread allowed ability re-distributions, would any other Pokemon be viable with the new version of this ability?
I may even ask specific questions for each ability, such as:
  • Would a Curse set be too OP on Pokemon with the new version of Shell Armor?
  • Would a 195 BP Hydro Cannon be viable on Mega Blastoise in OU?

Once step #3 is complete, I will add the updated abilities (along with their creators) to the archives in the post below and pick 3 new abilities to slate, so we can start the process over at Phase #1. Let's have fun.

If you have any questions please tag me in your post or send me a PM.

Also, ability de-buffs will be addressed in this PetMod... here is an example of one:
  • Speed Boost: Speed raises at end of turn. Speed raises only after an attacking move is used.

I'm sure there are more abilities that need to be de-buffed (Shadow Tag, Parental Bond, etc.), so they'll most likely be slated in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:

Magma

- Archives -

Upgrades:
Lowers the opponents special attack one stage upon switching in. (Mantodea)

The user doesn't have to recharge. (PokemonMasterDebater)

Lowers Speed and raises Defense. The user has 50% more Defense but 33% less Speed. (The Eevee General & Ghoul King)

Prevents critical hits. If the user is attacked while using Protect, its Defense and Special Defense increase by one stage. (Magma)

User takes half damage from Ice and Water type attacks. (PokemonMasterDebater)

Lowers Defense and raises Speed. The user has 33% less Defense but 50% more Speed. (The Eevee General & Ghoul King)

The user takes 75% damage from non-SE attacks. (Throbulator36)

The user's Attack & Speed are increased by 50% only while its under confusion. (the someone)

The user cannot be forcibly switched. Additionally, an opponent making contact with the user will be trapped for four turns. (Ghoul King)

Downgrades:

None at the moment

Magma

Let's kick things off with these abilities:
  • Vital Spirit: Prevents sleep.
  • Damp: Prevents the use of Self-Destruct or Explosion.
  • Unnerve: Prevents the foe from consuming its held Berry item.

Make sure to post your submissions in the same format as the example submission in the OP.

Vital Spirit
Same effect as Metronome item (I took this from energetic things gaining momentum)

Damp
Creates a permanent non-weather rain effect that only effects the user (fire attacks by or against the pokemon lose power, the opposite effect for water attacks by or against the pokemon, Hurricane and Thunder used by the pokemon will always hit)

Unnerve
Prevents opposing pokemon from using their item (mega stones excluded)

Edit: also, cool mod

Vital Spirit
The user cannot be afflicted with Sleep and gains one stage each of Attack and Speed if a move attempts to put it to Sleep.

Damp
When a Pokemon Self-Destructs or Explodes, it faints to no effect.

Unnerve
Prevents opposing Pokemon from using items that are used up in the process. (Not only Berries, but also Gems, Focus Sashes, Weakness Policy, etc)

Vital Spirit
(no idea)

Damp
Makes all self-fainting moves fail. (Lunar Dance, Memento, etc.)

Unnerve
If the opponent has a berry, they get -1 Attack/-1 Defense on the switch-in. (because screw you azumarill)

Last edited:
Vital Spirit
The pokemon does more damage when it is damaged.
Remaining HP | Damage Boost
100% - 81% ---> 0%
80% - 61% ----> 20%
60% - 41% ----> 50%
40% - 21% ----> 70%
20% - 0% -----> 100%

Damp
All normal type moves used by the pokemon becomes water type moves and do 30% more damage (like pixilate).

Unnerve
When the pokemon switch in, the opponet's defense and special defense are lowered by one stage (like intimidate).

Vital Spirit
This Pokemon will wake up at the beginning of the next turn if it is asleep. Rest only heals 50% of this Pokemon's max HP.

Damp
Rain Dance lasts 3 extra turns when used by this Pokemon. Stacks with Damp Rock.

Unnerve
Lowers the opponents special attack one stage upon switching in.

canno

formerly The Reptile
Vital Spirit
Prevents sleep and stats from being lowered by other Pokémon.

Damp

Halves damage from Fire-, Water- and Ice-type moves, but doubles damage from Electric-type moves. Prevents the use of Self-Destruct or Explosion.

Unnerve

Lowers opponents' Special Attack one stage upon entering battle. (Pretty much Mantodea 's idea lel)

Vital Spirit
On the third turn of being in, the foe will become confused (because of bouncing off the walls)

Damp
All moves become water Type (Normalize clone)

Unnerve
When this Pokemon switches in, there is a 50% chance of paralyzing the foe.

Vital Spirit
User cannot be immobilized by Paralysis, Sleep, Freeze, and various variable status conditions. Recharge moves like Hyper Beam do not need to recharge.

My ideas for the other ones have already been suggested.

Magma

Edit: also, cool mod
Thanks Throbulator.
Vital Spirit
User cannot be immobilized by Paralysis, Sleep, Freeze, and various variable status conditions. Recharge moves like Hyper Beam do not need to recharge.
Nice, PMD. (I was just about to submit this... lol)

All of the submissions look great so far guys; keep them coming.

While we wait for more submissions, let's get some discussion going:

How will the Speed Boost de-buff affect the meta?
  • What's Blaziken's best set now, and what tier will it fall into?
  • Will it drastically affect Baton Pass?

Vital Spirit:
Raises speed when hit by sleep inducing attack.

Damp:
'Dampens' all hazards on your side of the field, thus removing all hazards. (Flavour-wise, Spikes would become muddy, Rocks will be slightly eroded etc.)

Unnerve:
Negates all items used by the opponent.

How will the Speed Boost de-buff affect the meta?
  • What's Blaziken's best set now, and what tier will it fall into?
  • Will it drastically affect Baton Pass?
Blaziken will probably be RU or lower IMO, and Baton Pass will definately be used less. Maybe Scolipede will go in UU. Who knows?

EV

Banned deucer.
Vital Spirit
Prevents sleep & heals the user 25% of HP when a sleep-inducing move is used.

Damp
Prevents the use of Self-Destruct or Explosion and lowers the opponent's Attack & Special Attack 1 stage each if they try to Self-Destruct/Explode.

Unnerve
Prevents the foe from consuming its held Berry item or recovering any HP from items.

I thought we were supposed to improve bad abilities
Normalize is terrible because Normal is a terrible type, and what niche uses exist (Thunder Waving a Ground type) are unavailable to the one Pokemon with the Ability. Water-ize would still be less-than-optimal, denying the likes of Quagsire their other STAB moves and denying them coverage, not to mention making them completely helpless against Water immune Pokemon, but there's something to be said for being able to hit with a Water-typed Earthquake. (Screw you Landorus)

Though the best Normalize-clone would probably be Rock or Flying, since nothing is immune to them and they're both solid offensive types.

Blaziken debuff Speed Boost debuff
Ninjask is garbage, Yanmega has even less reason to be used, Sharpedo cries, Scolipede shifts from "Useful baton passer but pretty useless once that's not an option" to "Fast Bug and nobody cares", and Blaziken goes from omgwtfbbq to a straight attacker that opportunistically Baton Passes in the face of things it doesn't want to stay in on. So it sort of debuffs the Uber, and kills the utility of everything else with the Ability.

There's probably better ways to change Speed Boost such that it un-breaks Blaziken.

Ninjask is garbage, Yanmega has even less reason to be used, Sharpedo cries, Scolipede shifts from "Useful baton passer but pretty useless once that's not an option" to "Fast Bug and nobody cares", and Blaziken goes from omgwtfbbq to a straight attacker that opportunistically Baton Passes in the face of things it doesn't want to stay in on. So it sort of debuffs the Uber, and kills the utility of everything else with the Ability.

There's probably better ways to change Speed Boost such that it un-breaks Blaziken.
At least Yanmega still has a good ability...

Vital Spirit
prevents any and all forms of immobilization (paralyze, freeze, sleep) and gives x1.1 attack and speed

Damp
this pokemon's contact moves lower opponent's speed by 1

Unnerve
causes opponents with a type disadvantage (opponent's STABs resisted/this pokemon's STABs SE) to flinch when this pokemon switches in

some of these may be a bit over powered but I think that they are very flavorful and fit well with the roles the pokemon who have them fulfill.

Magma

Truthfully, I wasn't worried about sacrificing Ninjask, Scolipede, etc, because Baton Pass + Substitute + Protect + Swords Dance / Iron Defense / etc. was always a brainless utility IMO...

But still, it's a widely-accepted utility nonetheless, so I will remove the current Speed Boost de-buff and slate it in the future.

OK, let's move on to the Voting phase.
(When you PM me your vote, please submit the ability and username only.)

throbulator36
Same effect as Metronome item (I took this from energetic things gaining momentum)

Ghoul King
The user cannot be afflicted with Sleep and gains one stage each of Attack and Speed if a move attempts to put it to Sleep.

ladt2000
The Pokemon does more damage when it is damaged.
Remaining HP | Damage Boost
100% - 81% ---> 0%
80% - 61% ----> 20%
60% - 41% ----> 50%
40% - 21% ----> 70%
20% - 0% -----> 100%

Mantodea
This Pokemon will wake up at the beginning of the next turn if it is asleep. Rest only heals 50% of this Pokemon's max HP.

The Reptile
Prevents sleep and stats from being lowered by other Pokémon.

Esprite
On the third turn of being in, the foe will become confused (because of bouncing off the walls)

PokemonMasterDebater

MegaGallade
Raises speed when hit by sleep inducing attack.

The Eevee General
Prevents sleep & heals the user 25% of HP when a sleep-inducing move is used.

Emerald Master
Prevents any and all forms of immobilization (paralyze, freeze, sleep) and gives x1.1 attack and speed

throbulator36
Creates a permanent non-weather rain effect that only effects the user (fire attacks by or against the pokemon lose power, the opposite effect for water attacks by or against the pokemon, Hurricane and Thunder used by the pokemon will always hit)

Ghoul King
When a Pokemon Self-Destructs or Explodes, it faints to no effect.

cooldude_dude
Makes all self-fainting moves fail. (Lunar Dance, Memento, etc.)

ladt2000
All normal type moves used by the pokemon becomes water type moves and do 30% more damage (like pixilate).

Mantodea
Rain Dance lasts 3 extra turns when used by this Pokemon. Stacks with Damp Rock.

The Reptile
Halves damage from Fire-, Water- and Ice-type moves, but doubles damage from Electric-type moves. Prevents the use of Self-Destruct or Explosion.

Esprite
All moves become water Type (Normalize clone)

MegaGallade
'Dampens' all hazards on your side of the field, thus removing all hazards. (Flavour-wise, Spikes would become muddy, Rocks will be slightly eroded etc.)

The Eevee General
Prevents the use of Self-Destruct or Explosion and lowers the opponent's Attack & Special Attack 1 stage each if they try to Self-Destruct/Explode.

Emerald Master
this pokemon's contact moves lower opponent's speed by 1

throbulator36
Prevents opposing pokemon from using their item (mega stones excluded)

Ghoul King
Prevents opposing Pokemon from using items that are used up in the process. (Not only Berries, but also Gems, Focus Sashes, Weakness Policy, etc)

cooldude_dude
If the opponent has a berry, they get -1 Attack on the switch-in.

ladt2000
When the pokemon switch in, the opponet's defense and special defense are lowered by one stage (like intimidate).

Mantodea
Lowers the opponents special attack one stage upon switching in.

Esprite
When this Pokemon switches in, there is a 50% chance of paralyzing the foe.

MegaGallade
Negates all items used by the opponent.

The Eevee General
Prevents the foe from consuming its held Berry item or recovering any HP from items.

Emerald Master
causes opponents with a type disadvantage (opponent's STABs resisted/this pokemon's STABs SE) to flinch when this pokemon switches in

edit: removed The Reptile's Unnerve submission because it was the same as Mantodea's. PM me if there are any other duplicates or errors.

Truthfully, I wasn't worried about sacrificing Ninjask, Scolipede, etc, because Baton Pass + Substitute + Protect + Swords Dance / Iron Defense / etc. was always a brainless utility IMO... (and probably one of the reasons a Baton Pass clause was added)
Baton Pass clause was added (And then made more restrictive) because a full Baton Pass team was basically only fightable with either a counter-Baton Pass team or a Baton Pass team of your own, if it was done properly. "Brainless utility" is not only irrelevant but wrong anyway -which Pokemon you're passing off to requires some actual thought.

Also, are we supposed to not vote for our own submissions, or what? Because if that's not a thing, I'm just voting for my submissions.

Magma

Baton Pass clause was added (And then made more restrictive) because a full Baton Pass team was basically only fightable with either a counter-Baton Pass team or a Baton Pass team of your own, if it was done properly. "Brainless utility" is not only irrelevant but wrong anyway -which Pokemon you're passing off to requires some actual thought.
Got it, but you must of missed the part where I said Baton Pass being brainless was just my opinion... not a fact. You're right - it is irrelevant to why the clause was added (so I will edit my previous post), but not to how/why I chose to originally nerf Speed Boost. If you care enough about continuing to debate this, then just shoot me a PM.

Also, are we supposed to not vote for our own submissions, or what? Because if that's not a thing, I'm just voting for my submissions.
Well right now I'm banking on the assumption that users who did not post a submission will vote... so yes, you can vote for your own submissions (PM me your vote anyway btw.)

If it turns out that most of the collected votes are just everybody voting for their own vote, then I'll either add a "don't vote for your own submission clause" or just close this PetMod altogether (no point of forcing this down the communities throat if only about 10-12 people care about it.)

EV

Banned deucer.
If it turns out that most of the collected votes are just everybody voting for their own vote, then I'll either add a "don't vote for your own submission clause" or just close this PetMod altogether (no point of forcing this down the communities throat if only about 10-12 people care about it.)
To be fair, 10-12 people is kind of a success for a pet mod.

Got it, but you must of missed the part where I said Baton Pass being brainless was just my opinion... not a fact. You're right - it is irrelevant to why the clause was added (so I will edit my previous post), but not to how/why I chose to originally nerf Speed Boost. If you care enough about continuing to debate this, then just shoot me a PM.

Well right now I'm banking on the assumption that users who did not post a submission will vote... so yes, you can vote for your own submissions (PM me your vote anyway btw.)

How about making the voting similar to M4A's voting to make the best idea win instead of someone deciding to vote for one that's not theirs because they had second thoughts about their submission and causing that person to win by one point.

Magma

To be fair, 10-12 people is kind of a success for a pet mod.
Yeah, a few others have mentioned something similar to me since my last post... I had no idea.

How about making the voting similar to M4A's voting to make the best idea win instead of someone deciding to vote for one that's not theirs because they had second thoughts about their submission and causing that person to win by one point.
How exactly does their voting system work? I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)