Ability Shift

If we could please do something about the necessary bans quickly that'd be great. Whenever I play it, I see the same 6 mons and it's not a whole lot of fun :/

Currently 6th place on the ladder under one of my alts and probably done laddering. Some perspectives:

My team: Banded Archeops, AV Sand Rush Excadrill, Special Critmence, Illusion Lanturn, Utility Heatnor, Physical MegaLuc
I dont' want to talk about my team in detail, I just want to point out the lack of Pure Power, Parental Bond, Shadow Tag, Imposter, etc. You don't need those to have success in the metagame. None of this stuff needs banning you can definitely work around.

PSA to people on the ladder: learn what Lanturn's ability is. Please. Every time I see a Greninja I lead with lanturn masked as heatnor, and 8 times out of 10 I score a KO or near KO with volt switch (Lucario or LO recoil finishes it off). This trick alone has made Greninja essentially a non-threat to the team (Mence and lanturn later in the match, as well as Lucario if buffed or gren is weakened also work).

Starmie has so many advantages,(including no ground weakness and better stats) over Lanturn it is honestly probably a better addition. I just find Volt Switch to be so useful that it is worth sacrificing near everything for it, especially with all the shadow taggers around. Either way, Heatnor/Torkoal (make sure no balloon) + Illusion Starmie/Lanturn is such a good combination. Predict wrong and the Heatnor is out and you'll get crippled or subbed on. Try to hit lanturn/starmie with a water type and eat a thunder bolt or volt switch...try to hit them with a rock type and eat a hydro pump or surf. Wonder guarders force so many switches and both water types have enough good coverage to take advantage. Other two moves are blizzard to nail common mence and garchomp switchins and thunderbolt/thunder/substitute.

Illusion + Wonder Guard would never be a metagame defining force, but it is a definitely something I feel more people should be aware of because it is silly how many people get caught off guard by it.

Last edited:
Huge Power Teddiursa though
Choice Band Adamant 252 Attack Teddiursa with Huge Power reaches an attack stat of 852
I'm surprised I haven't seen any Pure Power Kecleons though... He is much more powerful than Huge Power Teddiursa...

Kecleon @ Focus sash
252 Atk/252 HP/6 SpD
Adamant
-Fake Out
-Last Resort

...GG

Last edited:
My team: Banded Archeops, AV Sand Rush Excadrill, Special Critmence, Illusion Lanturn, Utility Heatnor, Physical MegaLucI dont' want to talk about my team in detail, I just want to point out the lack of Pure Power, Parental Bond, Shadow Tag, Imposter, etc. You don't need those to have success in the metagame.
While what you say is true I just wanted to point out the fact you have wonder guard on your team.

Guys.. fur coat dusclops. Base 260 def with eviolite is that 390 base defense? :0 or are my calculations wrong
I swear eviolite changes the stat itself, not the base stat...

252 Def Impish Dusclops Defense = 394
394 x 1.5 = 591
591 x 2 = 1182

Even though it will have 591 Defense, it will act like 1182 with Fur Coat...

Dusclops too stronk.

EDIT: Why did I think Eviolite raised stats by 1.3?

Eviolite is 1.5 x
Yeah. A fully invested Dusclops will have 1182 Defense.

Last edited:
imagine if there was a meta like this but the abilities mons get went backwards, like truant becomes trace, wonder skin becomes wonder guard, etc
This will be a cool meta that I would talk about more if this was the thread for it. :toast:
imagine if there was a meta like this but the abilities mons get went backwards, like truant becomes trace, wonder skin becomes wonder guard, etc
^
BurgerKing, make this your next meta!

I've been using an interesting little something...

Gligar @Eviolite
Ability: Imposter
EVs: 252 HP, any other
Nature: who cares
Moves
-Any

Like in Balanced Hackmons with Chansey, Gligar has the ability to transform into any Pokemon with an Eviolite boost. A fun little thing to try out sometime. I personally have not seen anyone else using it, so I figured I'd share this.

I've been using an interesting little something...

Gligar @Eviolite
Ability: Imposter
EVs: 252 HP, any other
Nature: who cares
Moves
-Any

Like in Balanced Hackmons with Chansey, Gligar has the ability to transform into any Pokemon with an Eviolite boost. A fun little thing to try out sometime. I personally have not seen anyone else using it, so I figured I'd share this.
I legitimately don't understand why you would ever ever use this over Chansey. Chansey has a higher HP stat (the only stat that matters) which leads to much better bulk with Eviolite.
I just don't get it.
I THOUGHT THIS WAS HACKMONS OH

Man, I wish I could play this. I have exams going on. I'm very eager to ladder (I'm confident I can top the ladder at one point or the other). Oh well. So, I just want a few things sorted out:

1. What is the most broken mon in this meta? (Pure Power Greninja?)

2. What is the staple mon on every team? (Snorlax? Dusclops?)

3. Is Dragagale highly useful as I predicted? (My predictions are here-#49)

Man, I wish I could play this. I have exams going on. I'm very eager to ladder (I'm confident I can top the ladder at one point or the other). Oh well. So, I just want a few things sorted out:

1. What is the most broken mon in this meta? (Pure Power Greninja?)
Yup.

2. What is the staple mon on every team? (Snorlax? Dusclops?)
Dusclops. I discussed this before, but it gets roughly 1100 defense with eviolite, a positive nature, and fur coat.

3. Is Dragagale highly useful as I predicted? (My predictions are here-#49)
I sometimes see it on teams.
Comments in bold.
TheBurgerKing99 what about programming abilities like Flower Gift, Stance Change and Multitype in such a way that they work for the Pokemon who gets them (it's a simple "if users is Aegislash" thingy, so it'd be easy to change
How will Stance Change work? That's not as easy to code, I'm pretty sure.

Last edited:

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TheBurgerKing99 what about programming abilities like Flower Gift, Stance Change and Multitype in such a way that they work for the Pokemon who gets them (it's a simple "if users is Aegislash" thingy, so it'd be easy to change

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)