1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Ability Tiering Thread and General Ability Discussion (Final Check)

Discussion in 'BW OU' started by forestflamerunner, May 14, 2012.

1. forestflamerunner

forestflamerunner Ain't no rest for the wicked
    is a Pre-Contributor

Thread introduction

Pokémon are compared all the time. Some are considered better than others, some are considered underrated, others are notorious for being considered overrated. However, there is rarely such debate in regard to abilities, with the exception of within the confines of a specific Pokémon. However, in this generation, abilities can make or break Pokémon. Ninetales would not be as popular as it is if it wasn’t for its ability. Regigigas wouldn’t be struggling in NU if it wasn’t for its ability. But what if regigigas got drought? Or even pressure? What if charizard had wonderguard? It is very easy to see that some abilities truly let Pokémon shine, while others force Pokémon to just stall. The question is which are the studs and which are the duds.
    I was participating in the CAP 3 Ability discussion today, and it occurred to me that it may prove useful to have an organized list, a tier system if you will, to discover which abilities are useful and which abilities are, well, terrible. This question gave birth to this thread, which I hope will become a general abilities discussion thread where people can debate over the viability and possible uses of abilities. Furthermore, I have included a tier list of the abilities based on my own personal opinion, in order to have some reference points to keep track of which abilities are hot and which are not. This tier list will be updated every few days in response to the general ability debate in this thread. Please note that this thread is not meant to discuss what would happen if Pokémon x had ability y. that will probably get this thread locked and the Mods will probably dish out a few infractions to you and me, which none of us want. Get to posting your ability opinions with a newfound gusto, and if you want, you can take a gander at the tire list below.

Tier list
    Tier explanation
    S Tier- Abilities that are so good that the ability will often make otherwise unusable Pokémon viable.
    A Tier- A Tier abilities are abilities that are great on their own merit, and don’t require specially tailored stat spreads or movepools to make them effective. These abilities can generally be slapped on any Pokémon and that Pokémon would be significantly better for it.
    B Tier- Abilities that are good but not as good as A Tier abilities either because they require a more customized movepool and stat spread to be effective, are more specialized in purpose or effect, or are have affects that are just flat out inferior to the affects of A or S Tier Abilities
    C Tier- abilities have uses, but the effects aren’t gamebreaking and oftentimes not even game changing. These abilities may have some niche uses but there are superior options available.
    D Tier- abilities which are so rarely useful that the Pokémon might as well not have one most of the time, but these abilities may come in handy once in a blue moon.
    F Tier- abilities that are almost always detrimental to the pokemon that has it or abilities that have no competitive uses.
    Z Tier- Abilities whose effects are unknown or are impossible to extrapolate to Pokemon other than those that naturally obtain it.

S Tier

Arena Trap
    Drizzle
    Drought
    Huge Power
    Imposter
    Magic Bounce
    Moody
    Multitype(Do Not Know Typing)
    Prankster
    Pure Power
    Sand Stream
    Snow Warning
    Shadow Tag
    Wonder Guard

A Tier

Adaptability
    Chlorophyll
    Compound Eyes
    Contrary
    Download
    Dry Skin
    Flash fire
    Flower gift
    Guts
    Harvest
    Hydration
    Intimidate
    Levitate
    Lightningrod
    Magic Guard
    Magnet Pull
    Motor Drive
    Moxie
    Multiscale
    Multitype(Know Typing)
    Natural Cure
    No Guard
    Poison Heal
    Quick feet
    Regenerator
    Sand Rush
    Sap Sipper
    Serene grace
    Sheer force
    Shield Dust
    Simple
    Speed Boost
    Storm Drain
    Swift Swim
    Technician
    Tinted Lens
    Thick fat
    Trace
    Water absorb
    Volt absorb
    Unaware

B Tier

Air locked
    Analytic
    Bad Dreams
    Clear Body
    Cloud nine
    Cursed Body
    Defiant
    Effect Spore
    Filter
    Flame Body
    Flare Boost
    Heatproof
    Hustle
    Ice Body
    Illusion
    Iron Barbs
    Leaf Guard
    Marvel Scale
    Mold Breaker
    Reckless
    Rock Head
    Rough Skin
    Sand Force
    Sand veil
    Scrappy
    Shed skin
    Skill Link
    Snow Cloak
    Solar Power
    Solid Rock
    Static
    Sturdy
    Suction Cups
    Terravolt
    Toxic Boost
    Turboblaze
    Unburden
    Victory star
    White smoke
    Wonderskin

C Tier

Aftermath
    Anticipation
    Blaze
    Frisk
    Gluttony
    Immunity
    Infiltrater
    Inner focus
    Insomnia
    Iron Fist
    Justified
    Limber
    Liquid Ooze
    Mummy
    Overcoat
    Overgrow
    Pickpocket
    Poison point
    Poison Touch
    Pressure
    Rattled
    Rivalry
    Soundproof
    Steadfast
    Sticky hold
    Swarm
    Synchronize
    Torrent
    Toxic Boost
    Vital spirit
    Water veil
    Weak armor

D Tier

Anger Point
    Battle Armor
    Big Pecks
    Cute Charm
    Damp
    Early Bird
    Forecast
    Forewarn
    Heavy Metal
    Hyper Cutter
    Keen Eye
    Klutz
    Light Metal
    Magma Armor
    Oblivious
    Own Tempo
    Pick up
    Shell armor
    Sniper
    Stench
    Super luck
    Tangled feet
    Unnerve

F Tier

Color Change
    Defeatest
    Friend Guard
    Healer
    Honey Gather
    Illuminate
    Minus
    Normalize
    Plus
    Run away
    Slow start
    Stall
    Telepathy
    Truant

Z Tier

Zen mode
  2. Arcticblast

Arcticblast Flapper the Zubat = best scramblemon
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a SPL Winner
    Mentor

I feel like this, once complete, would fit together nicely with the Balanced Hackmons thread.

I assume this thread is about abilities on their own, not on certain Pokemon (e.x. Levitate is epic on Eelektross, an Electric type, but pointless on Rotom-S, a Flying type)

My view of S Rank:
    Arena Trap If Magnet Pull is only A, this should be A as well.
    Contrary
    Drizzle
    Drought
    Sand Stream
    Snow Warning
    All of the weather abilities are a godsend on any Pokemon.
    Huge Power / Pure Power (I don't think there's a difference... Slash identical or nearly identical abilities with each other)
    Imposter
    Moody
    Shadow Tag
    Wonder Guard
    Prankster - Make any normal-priority status move go first? Who wouldn't want that?
    Magic Bounce - The things Magic Bounce provides are just invaluable.
    A few other could go here too.

My view of F-Rank:
    All abilities in red are only useless in singles - their effects can be amazing in Doubles.
    Color Change - This should not be at the bottom. Maybe second to last for its own unpredictability, but everything it can do makes it not bottom material.
    Damp
    Defeatist
    Friend Guard
    Healer

Honey Gather
    Illuminate
    Minus
    Plus

Rattled - I think this ability might be a bit better with different distribution - an offensive Steel type would theoretically make good use of this ability.
    Slow start
    Soundproof - Immunity to Roar and Perish Song is in no way a bad thing. Mr. Mime can make good use of it.
    Stall
    Telepathy
    Truant
    Zen mode - Bottom of the barrel only because it was only given to Darmanitan, who can't really use it and has a far better ability in Sheer Force.

Yeah.
  3. shrang

shrang Reaction to Ubers ladder
    is a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderatoris a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

If this is the case, then I reckon Speed Boost could be considered S tier. It is pretty much the sole reason (aside from the Hi Jump Kick buff) that got Blaziken banned. It also made Sharpedo a LOT more viable in higher tiers, and Yanmega is pretty awesome with it too.

And yeah, I do think all Weather abilities should be S, it completely dominates the metagame.
  4. Manaphy

Manaphy

Magic Bounce should probably be S tier. Who would have considered Xatu in Gen. 4? Speed Boost and Magic Guard is a literal godsend to anything that gets them, they should be S too IMO.

About Huge Power and Pure Power, there is technically a difference that not many people know about, in that Huge Power will actually halve it's effect each time it's passed to another user. No effect on singles but yeah.
  5. voodoo pimp

voodoo pimp Apply directly to the forehead
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

I think F tier should be limited to abilities that fail the question, "Is this better than no ability?" That is, if you hit a Pokémon with one of those abilities with Gastro Acid, would it stay the same or even become better? With that requirement, Damp, Rattled, and Soundproof at least (Color Change and Zen Mode are debatable since they're gimmicky but not strictly detrimental or useless) should be off the list - the first two do provide a benefit, however small, and Soundproof can be very useful in some contexts such as Baton Pass teams.
  6. Birkal

Birkal We have the technology.
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris an Artistis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
    CAP Head Mod

While we as an OU moderating team will allow this thread to continue for now, I must emphasize the fact that you must bring discussion points here if you are going to post. I am hoping that we as a community can get a pretty solid list down (forestflamerunner has already given us a good start). So please post with some intelligence! Provide some reasoning to each of your posts; explain why you would move an ability up or down.

On the flip side, posts that are simple readjustments of the OP (I would raise Honey Gather up a tier and Wonder Skin down one, for example) will not be tolerated and consequentially deleted. You have to give some logic in this topic. It can be brief, but it has to be present. Hopefully this will inspire some awesome discussion and get all of our brains chuggin' on how abilities work competitively. Perhaps the OP will even get a method down to get some voting done and make an "official" ability tier list; might be kind of cool to toy around with something like that. Thanks for reading and happy posting.
  7. bluemon

bluemon

Tinted lens and No Guard should definitely be A.

tinted lens for wreaking shit with STAB moves, and No Guard to abuse inaccurate moves. (especially for balanced hackmons)

editing because birkal here ninjad me and set a criteria LOL ;)

i believe that class A should at least include abilities that give immunities. levitate, water absorb, storm drain, etc would all fall into this category.

also. it was under my impression that one of the two "power" abilities multiplied the attack only 1.5 times if skill swapped onto another poke. just a slight nitpick
  8. dragonuser

dragonuser Today, tomorrow, and always with a frozen heart
    is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Tutor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis Smogon Frontier's Pyramid Kingis a Past WCoP Winner

I think that Rain Dish has the potential to be a Class B ability. Rain Dish has greatly increased Tentacruel's survivability and has made him a premier spinner because of this. Class C defines the ability as something that the pokemon wouldn't exactly miss, but imo Rain Dish + ever present rain(new drizzle ability) has greatly increased tentacruels usage this generation.
  9. Manaphy

Manaphy

I'd also like to voucher that F (or rather maybe G?) Tier be changed to abilities that actually have disadvantages, and then having another for little/no effect. Something like:

F Ranked:

Color Change
    Damp
    Friend Guard
    Healer
    Honey Gather
    Illuminate
    Minus
    Plus
    Rattled
    Soundproof
    Telepathy
    Zen mode

G Tier:
    Deafetist
    Slow Start
    Stall
    Truant

This would make much more sense as some abilities in F can actually have a use, while others would just be hindering.

Additionally, I would like to re-emphasise Magic Guard for S Tier: It literally makes Clefable, Reuniclus, and Sigilyph viable because of it, and considering the how universal Stealth Rock and Sand damage is, not to mention Spikes and Toxic, it is an almost unrivaled Ability for taking down Stall.
  10. Tetrinity

Tetrinity

Mold Breaker is listed as rank A, while Teravolt and Turboblaze are listed as rank C. They have identical effects, and so should be in the same rank; probably rank A or B.

Some abilities definitely seem misplaced; I'll run through some of them here.

Soundproof - Soundproof isn't an excellent ability but it deserves higher than F. It's been mentioned already, but immunity to Roar and Perish Song seems like a nice deal to me. Rank C or D would be suitable.

Tinted Lens - Tinted Lens is one of the best offensive abilities in the game and should be ranked as such. Resistances just melt away under the force of Tinted Lens, necessitating a 4x resistance or an immunity to your STABs in order for a switch-in to avoid taking a powerful neutral hit. Definitely an A rank, if not S.

Prankster - if it makes Sableye useful in OU, it must be something special... definitely should be considered for S rank, really.

Magic Bounce - see Prankster, replacing the word "Sableye" with "Xatu".

Rivalry - rank C feels a bit high. The inconsistency that this ability causes is hardly desirable...

Poison Point - a 30% chance to cause the worst status condition in the game? People switch walls into one layer of Toxic Spikes to deliberately take regular poisoning for a reason; it's a useless status condition that blocks much more potent ones like burn or toxic poisoning. I'd honestly push it right down into rank F, and certainly nothing higher than D.

Sand Veil / Snow Cloak - these seem like they belong in the same tier, as they have the same effect in their respective weather conditions. I suppose Sand Veil was ranked higher due to the prevalence of sandstorm over hail, though, so I suppose they'd be fine as they are.

Torrent / Blaze / Overgrow / Swarm - not quite sure why Overgrow is a rank lower than the other abilities on this list, given the similarity of the abilities.

Those are about the only holes I could pick in this, though, it's a great list and could make a potentially very useful resource.

also why can nobody in this thread spell "Defeatist"
  11. Arcticblast

Arcticblast Flapper the Zubat = best scramblemon
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a SPL Winner
    Mentor

Something I want to point out is that some abilities appear to be placed on the list based on the Pokemon that get them (see Overgrow versus other pinch abilities). Since this is a list of the abilities, I believe that this should be a solely merit-based system unrelated to the Pokemon that have said abilities. Pokemon can be used as justification to move an ability up or down a tier in some cases, but otherwise it should be just the abilities.
  12. Jimera0

Jimera0 You don't understand, Edgar is the one in the hole!
    is a Community Contributor

Ok I'm going to go through the list and post my opinions on each in bold. Oh yeah, this is gunna be a big post.

So there's my much-more-than-2-cents. Hopefully others will share their opinions on this, as I think I'm not alone in my opinion of many of these. But hey, all there is to do is to wait and see right?

EDIT: 100% agree with Articblast's post above mine. For tiering abilities they should be considered on their own in a vaccuum, not based on the Pokemon that get them. Rattled for example isn't a bad ability, it's just given to terrible Pokemon. It certainly doesn't belong in the same tier as stuff like Defeatist and Slow Start.
  13. Twins

Twins

Yeah, your list is a whole lot less subjective than his, and I pretty much agree with it.

One caveat though: Klutz is not a F tier ability. Sure, it negates you from using your hold items, but realize the strategic potential in that. Trick/Switcheroo over that Flame Orb/Choice Scarf/whatever to cripple either a physical attacker, or a wall respectively. You won't know what the Klutz pokemon is holding until it renders one of your opponent's pokemon useless for the rest of the match.

Now, that strategy currently only works with Lopunny, which has disappointing stats. But it does carve a unique niche for the bunny. It's a disruptive ability all right, but nowhere near broken or unfair. I say C-Tier is fine.

Also you forgot Pickup, which is a rather rubbish ability. Still, it's situationally useful in Little Cup, where Oran Berry isn't uncommon, so put it in D.

And I really don't think Trace should be C rank. It allows access to pretty much any ability in the game for crying out loud. Switch into any pokemon with an immunity-granting ability, and wall them to death. Chandelure? Ha! It's also very unpredictable, as the ability constantly changes, forcing your opponent to adapt their strategy likewise.

Put it in B tier at the very least. It doesn't belong anywhere near Weak Armor.
  14. forestflamerunner

forestflamerunner Ain't no rest for the wicked
    is a Pre-Contributor

I will address all accumulated posts tomorrow at around 1:00 PM eastern time. I recognize that this list should be organized based on the merit of each individual ability and not the distribution. i tried to follow this schematic, which in part explains why i put wonder guard and pure power in S (although admittedly it takes no great imagination to figure out how badass these abilities are). however, i have made oversights and i will address them as soon as i can. Rattled is the major one (i thought it lowered speed by 1 stage, lol), but some of the abilities such as overgrow and sap sipper are rightly placed in my opinion because grass is simply inferior to fire attacks and water attacks and thus are less common and less useful. like i said, i will go into more depth tomorrow as to my opinions on the controversial cases. Also, for the sake of this Thread, i would like to focus on single battles, at least for now. i could have a parallel set for doubles after we straighten out the singles tier list, but before i address doubles, i would like to learn more about the metagame. finally, i may run polls on those abilities that people constantly disagree on in a couple weeks, if any still exist then. Thanks and keep up the excellent feedback
  15. VN.

VN. the birds pt. 1
    is a Team Rater Alumnus

I really have to agree with Voodoo Pimp on the basis that F Tier should only be strictly detrimental abilities; Color Change is a bit iffy, but it isn't entirely detrimental and can [sometimes?] be used as an advantage so I'd say E Tier there. Even Honey Gather should be E Tier, since I think all the Slakings out there would really prefer Honey Gather to Truant. Jimera0 has also made some very good suggestions to your list, most of which I agree with, although I don't think Sand Stream is S Tier, given the fact that there are few abusers at the moment, and it's usually used to insure a team against other weather, given how easily Tyranitar can fit on a team; not to mention Tyranitar was used primarily in Gens 3/4 because it was a great Pokemon, Sand Stream was just a neat bonus; the same is true with Hippowdon but to a lesser extent. Hail overall is probably a better ability than Sandstorm; it's just unlucky enough to have a lackluster starter, compared to Sand or Rain. I'd also consider moving Unaware to S Tier; Quagsire is by no means a great wall, but it's such a fantastic asset to teams and there have been a few teams to even peak #1 with it, all because of what a useful ability Unaware is. Quagsire is able to fill a unique and really great niche in the metagame because of this ability and it would hardly see the light of day otherwise.
  16. Smaug

Smaug

Why is Pickpocket B rank? It's always better to have your own item, rather than whatever the opponent was holding. If you want to remove their item, Trick is an extremely useful move. This ability, in my opinion, is F Rank, D at best.
  17. voodoo pimp

I would say C, maybe D at the lowest. Pickpocket only works if you're not holding an item, and unless you're using Acrobatics, having an item is generally better than having no item, and taking your opponent's item is generally better than letting them keep it. Sure, it's a weak ability, but like I said above, F tier should be reserved for completely useless/detrimental abilities, neither of which fit Pickpocket.
  18. JellyOs

JellyOs

Why is Tinted Lens B ranked? You're telling me that you'd rather have Moxie than have your moves' power DOUBLED if resisted? That's perfect neutral coverage for Dragons and Great Fighting-type coverage. There is no way it belongs down there.
  19. DetroitLolcat

DetroitLolcat Maize And Blue Badge Set :)
    is a Forum Moderatoris a CAP Contributoris a Tiering Contributor

So my ability Tier List would be:

S Tier- Abilities that automatically make any Pokemon within reason viable.

Arena Trap
    Drizzle
    Drought
    Huge Power
    Imposter
    Magic Bounce
    Magnet Pull
    Moody
    Prankster
    Pure Power
    Sand Stream
    Shadow Tag
    Snow Warning
    Wonder Guard

A Tier-Abilities that significantly contribute to a Pokemon's competitive worth all or almost all of the time.

Chlorophyll
    CompoundEyes
    Contrary
    Download
    Dry Skin
    Harvest
    Hydration
    Intimidate
    Levitate
    Magic Guard
    Motor Drive
    Moxie
    Multiscale
    Multitype
    Natural Cure
    No Guard
    Poison Heal
    Regenerator
    Sand Rush
    Serene grace
    Sheer force
    Simple
    Speed Boost
    Storm Drain
    Swift Swim
    Technician
    Thick fat
    Tinted lens
    Unaware
    Water absorb

B Tier-Abilities that can significantly contribute to a Pokemon's worth, but do not do so as consistently as A-tier abilities.

Adaptability
    Analytic
    Filter
    Flame Body
    Flare Boost
    Flash fire
    Guts
    Heatproof
    Hustle
    Ice Body
    Illusion
    Iron barbs
    Lightningrod
    Marvel Scale
    Mold Breaker
    Quick feet
    Pressure
    Rain dish
    Reckless
    Rock Head
    Rough Skin
    Sand Force
    Sand veil
    Sap Sipper
    Scrappy
    Shed skin
    Shield Dust
    Snow Cloak
    Solar Power
    Solid Rock
    Suction cups
    Teravolt
    Turboblaze
    Unburden
    Volt absorb

C Tier- Abilities that provide a noticeable boost to a Pokemon, but not enough to raise a Pokemon's usage significantly

Aftermath
    Air lock
    Bad Dreams
    Blaze
    Clear Body
    Cloud nine
    Cursed Body
    Defiant
    Effect Spore
    Flower gift
    Forecast
    Forewarn
    Frisk
    Immunity
    Infiltrater
    Inner focus
    Insomnia
    Iron Fists
    Leaf Guard
    Limber
    Liquid Ooze
    Mummy
    Overcoat
    Overgrow
    Rivalry
    Skill link
    Sniper
    Static
    Steadfast
    Sticky hold
    Sturdy
    Super Luck
    Swarm
    Synchronize
    Torrent
    Trace
    Victory star
    Vital spirit
    Water veil
    White Smoke
    Wonder skin

D Tier-Abilities that are too situational, too useless, or too hard to activate to merit much worth in competitive Pokemon

Anger Point
    Anticipation
    Battle Armor
    Big Pecks
    Cute Charm
    Damp
    Early Bird
    Gluttony
    Heavy Metal
    Hyper Cutter
    Justified
    Keen Eye
    Klutz
    Light Metal
    Normalize
    Oblivious
    Own Tempo
    Pickpocket
    Poison point
    Poison Touch
    Rattled
    Shell armor
    Soundproof
    Stench
    Tangled feet
    Toxic boost
    Unnerve
    Weak armor
    Zen Mode

F Tier- (completely useless or hindering abilities_

Color Change
    Defeatest
    Friend Guard
    Healer
    Honey Gather
    Illuminate
    Minus
    Plus
    Slow start
    Stall
    Telepathy
    Truant
  20. voodoo pimp

I'm gonna try putting together a doubles version, but it'll probably take a long time so if someone else wants to do it too I won't mind.

Edit: here we go, it's probably got some mistakes because I'm really tired and can't proofread but whatever, and if anyone wants to change anything it won't hurt my feelings. I listed the reasoning for all my changes in bold.

S ranked

Contrary
    Drizzle
    Drought
    Huge Power
    Illusion (a game-changing ability even in doubles, it would probably be broken on better Pokémon)
    Imposter
    Magic Bounce (this should've been here already)
    Moody
    Multitype (no Arceus in most doubles metagames, but still)
    Prankster (should've been here already)
    Pure Power
    Sand Stream (should be here already, weather is king)
    Snow Warning (see Sand Stream, and Blizzard is a bigger deal in doubles)
    Sturdy (no hazards, most of the stuff that gets it is immune to sand, and Item Clause in most doubles metagames)
    Wonder Guard

A ranked

Adaptability
    Chlorophyll
    Clear Body (Intimidate and friends everywhere)
    Compoundeyes (accuracy matters more in doubles where every turn is more crucial)
    Download
    Dry Skin
    Inner focus (Fake Out and Rock Slide everywhere)
    Insomnia (no Sleep Clause, especially good against sun teams)
    Flare Boost (same tier as Guts, it's just as good aside from being slightly more specific to activate)
    Flash fire
    Flower gift
    Friend Guard (really good if it were on anything besides crappy NFEs)
    Guts
    Harvest
    Hydration (should've been here already)
    Intimidate
    Levitate
    Lightningrod
    Magic Guard
    Mold Breaker
    Motor Drive
    Moxie
    Multiscale
    No Guard (see Compoundeyes)
    Poison Heal
    Quick feet
    Regenerator
    Sand Force
    Sand Rush
    Sap Sipper (I'd put all immunity abilities in A)
    Serene grace
    Sheer force
    Skill link (lots of stuff would love it, breaks berries and sashes)
    Speed Boost
    Storm Drain
    Swift Swim
    Technician
    Telepathy (spamming spread moves with reckless abandon is always good, especially since the ones that also hit your partner are usually better)
    Teravolt/Turboblaze (same tier as Mold Breaker)
    Thick fat
    Tinted lens (too good to not be here, almost low S)
    Toxic boost (see Flare Boost)
    Unburden (speed is the god stat)
    Unnerve (berries everywhere)
    Vital spirit (see Insomnia)
    Volt absorb
    Water absorb
    White smoke (see Clear Body)

B ranked

Air Lock
    Analytic
    Bad Dreams
    Cloud nine
    Filter
    Flame Body
    Healer (basically Shed Skin for the partner)
    Heatproof (inferior to Thick Fat, one resistance isn't that great)
    Ice Body (great for bulky hail abusers)
    Iron barbs (should've been here already, why was it not in the same tier as Rough Skin?)
    Leaf Guard
    Marvel Scale
    Mummy (too many things rely on their abilities, possibly low A)
    Natural Cure (harder to switch, Toxic is rare)
    Rain dish (see Ice Body)
    Reckless
    Rough Skin
    Sand veil
    Shed skin
    Simple (harder to boost, Intimidate, Icy Wind, etc. hurts worse)
    Snow Cloak (same tier as Sand Veil)
    Solar Power
    Solid Rock
    Static
    Stench (free flinches would be great on anything fast)
    Trace (probably should be A in singles, but the unpredictability of which ability it copies in doubles hurts it somewhat)
    Unaware
    Victory star

C ranked

Aftermath
    Blaze
    Cursed Body
    Damp (Explosion is somewhat more prevalent than in singles)
    Defiant
    Effect Spore
    Frisk
    Hustle
    Immunity
    Infiltrater
    Iron Fists
    Justified
    Klutz
    Limber
    Liquid Ooze
    Minus/Plus (gimmicky, but potentially useful on the right Pokémon)
    Normalize
    Overgrow (should match the others)
    Pressure
    Rattled (similar to Justified)
    Rock Head
    Scrappy
    Shield Dust
    Steadfast
    Sticky hold
    Suction cups
    Swarm
    Synchronize
    Torrent
    Water veil
    Weak armor
    Wonder skin

D ranked

Anger Point
    Anticipation
    Arena Trap (possibly low C, switching is rare and it's much easier for the trapper to be killed)
    Battle Armor
    Big Pecks
    Cute Charm
    Early Bird
    Forecast
    Forewarn
    Gluttony
    Hyper Cutter
    Keen Eye
    Light Metal
    Magnet Pull (see Arena Trap)
    Oblivious
    Overcoat
    Own Tempo
    Pickpocket (explained in earlier comment)
    Pickup (it's weak, but still better than anything in F tier)
    Poison point (normal poison is still bad in doubles)
    Poison Touch (see above)
    Rivalry (too risky and inconsistent)
    Shadow Tag (see Arena Trap)
    Shell armor
    Sniper
    Soundproof (Roar and Perish Song may be uncommon in doubles, but they're still there)
    Super luck
    Tangled feet

F ranked

Color Change
    Defeatist
    Heavy Metal (Low Kick and Grass Knot mean it usually does more harm than good)
    Honey Gather
    Illuminate
    Run Away (you missed this one too)
    Slow Start
    Stall
    Truant
    Zen Mode
  21. bluemon

bluemon

What is the policy for entirely outclassed abilities?

some examples:

Guts > toxic boost
    pure/huge power > hustle
    no guard > compoundeyes
    etc.

a more fishy one is:
    magic guard > immunity

edit: nvm no guard doesnt completely outclass compoundeyes.

how about vital spirit > early bird?
  22. SgtWoodsy

SgtWoodsy

I'm confused as to why Rattled is in F tier. Even though the Pokémon that get it are pre-evos and Sudowoodo the ability itself is great.
  23. The 1 and Only Lady Gaga

The 1 and Only Lady Gaga

I wouldn't say Pure/Huge Power > Hustle since you don't have to be statused for Hustle, ditto for No Guard and CompoundEyes as CompoundEyes doesn't make every attack hit you as well.
  24. bluemon

bluemon

huge/pure power doesnt require a status....
  25. Showsni

Showsni

Magic Guard is pretty much strictly better than Overcoat, though.

I'm agreeing with a few other users that the bottom tier should be for completely useless/detrimental abilities. Though, even stuff like Truant can be competitively useful - just look at Dream World Durant for an example, who can Entrain it onto other Pokémon then allow Shadow Taggers/Arena Trappers to set up. Even something like Stall could be used to ensure your U-Turn is slower than the enemy (you could imagine something very slow setting up Trick Room, then using U-Turn to a slow sweeper, and using Stall to ensure the U-Turn went second).

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)