Absol (QC: 2/3) [Not written]

Status
Not open for further replies.

HypnoEmpire

Yokatta...
I see where you're coming from, and Fire Blast is ok. :) But not good enough. Btw, Escavalier is not very common in UU, so it's not necessary to cover.
I'm aware of that. I posted them to show what coverage Fire Blast would get. It disproved its usefulness, though.

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Minor nitpicks, you mentioned the 4 SpD EVs are to offset Absol's Fairy weakness...that's actually incorrect, it's primarily so Download users (Porygon2, Porygon-Z) get an unwanted boost to their Attack stats, since Absol has equal defenses. Also you could add a set with the ability Super Luck and Scope Lens/Razor Claw into OO? The ability for guaranteed critical hits is pretty cool, and could actually be dangerous paired with Sticky Web. Good analysis thus far though!

Minor nitpicks, you mentioned the 4 SpD EVs are to offset Absol's Fairy weakness...that's actually incorrect, it's primarily so Download users (Porygon2, Porygon-Z) get an unwanted boost to their Attack stats, since Absol has equal defenses. Also you could add a set with the ability Super Luck and Scope Lens/Razor Claw into OO? The ability for guaranteed critical hits is pretty cool, and could actually be dangerous paired with Sticky Web. Good analysis thus far though!
Thanks for the feedback, I didn't know about the Download thing. I will change that now and I will add that set in OO. Thanks a lot! :D

HypnoEmpire

Yokatta...
I tested it and Super Luck + Razor Claw does not give guaranteed critical hits.

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It works when using high-crit moves, out of which it has Night Slash, Stone Edge, Psycho cut, etc. lol not that big a deal anyway tbh, it's just an OO mention at best regardless since it's so slow and frail

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
sd and sucker punch are staples on the second set as absol should always be carrying priority. the other two moves should probably be knock off/superpower. the drops from superpower are negligible as most of the time you're going to be using knock off or sucker punch anyways

hm, this still needs some work.

firstly, nitpicks for both sets: when you mention the usage of zen headbutt, dont say it's because absol is weak to fighting, but because fighting resists dark; that's like mentioning fire blast because of absol's bug weakness ?_?. and superpower is used to hit other dark types, not steel types (the only relevant steel type that is hit harder by superpower than your stab is mega aggron, and it's not even a 3HKO).

now, the sd set should be re-organized. swords dance should be move 1, and sucker punch should be move 2 unslashed, it's pretty much your most important move. then you should decide if you're going to pick play rough or knock off for move 3, since the first nets you perfect coverage, while the second... well, the second is knock off. move 4 would be either a filler move or a decent coverage move. so basically i think it should be organized like this:
1-sd
2-sucker punch
3-play rough/knock off
4-filler move (if you picked play rough)/coverage (if you picked knock off)
good filler moves for the 1st case are will o wisp, thunder wave, baton pass and maybe night slash, while good coverage options for the second case are superpower, iron tail, zen headbutt. i personally would list will o wisp/superpower/iron tail for move 4 and slap the rest of those moves into 'other options'.

on other options, you should remove taunt, which is a 100% shitty move on mega absol: if the foe is going to use a status move/hazard, it's simply going back to them; if they're using a recovery move, you should use that turn to setup; if they're using a setup move, they're a powerful mon that can OHKO absol and you have no business in letting absol stay in.

for team options, you need to list more teammates. forretress is really good as it sets up on pretty much every wall that cause trouble to absol (hippowdon, mega aggron, florges, aromatisse, etc) and makes absol even more deadly with hazard support. nidos are good offensive teammates as well because they have excellent offensive synergy with absol (they tend to be walled by psychic pokemon that are weak to dark, while absol tends to be walled by steel and fairy pokemon that are weak to ground and poison) and resist bug/fighting. rotom-h is an amazing pivot as well that brings excellent resistances and can spread burns and bring absol safely with a slow volt switch. stallbreaker mew is also a really good teammate, since absol's kinda bad against stall, and mew can wear down the opposing team.

for counters, mention aromatisse together with florges, but also mention that SD iron tail absol beats both. mention that bulky steel types like cobalion and escavalier also cause trouble to absol. high defense ground pokemon like rhyperior, hippowdon, donphan and quagsire will also defeat absol, and quagsire even has unaware to avoid sd boosts. pokemon that can take a hit and retaliate like defensive arcanine or mega blastoise will also beat absol. lastly: "Some scarfed users have potential to outspeed Absol, like Heracross and Mienshao." this is kinda wrong; firstly because pretty much any scarfed user will have potential to outspeed absol, but most of them will be OHKOed by a +2 sucker punch. you should say "scarfed users that resist sucker punch", and include krookodile, hydreigon, etc in that list, and remove mienshao because it takes like 88% from a +2 sucker punch, being a shaky check.

good luck.

Mention Fire Blast on the All-Out Attacker's moves, it's a decent move, just one it doesn't have the space for. Another move that is viable is Iron Tail instead of Zen Headbutt, which still gives you perfect neutral coverage and hits Florges quite hard.

The Swords Dance set should look like this:

Swords Dance
########
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Sucker Punch
move 3: Knock Off / Night Slash
move 4: Superpower / Play Rough
ability: Justified
item: Absolite
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
nature: Jolly

Mention Baton Pass in moves, so that if Absol can't sweep it can give its boosts to something else. Any Absol set does need a reliable Dark-type attack, so if you're using Play Rough, it's by far better to use Night Slash than any other move. If you want to use Knock Off, Superpower is the best second move, as it hits everything except Toxicroak, Heracross, and Florges. You can mention Zen Headbutt, which hits those three Pokemon and still gets decent neutral coverage, but that leaves you walled by most Dark-types. Iron Tail is another decent move to mention, because it gets decent coverage with Dark-type moves.

Mention Fire Blast on the All-Out Attacker's moves, it's a decent move, just one it doesn't have the space for.
You're contradicting yourself here, if it doesn't have space I won't put it.

Mention Baton Pass in moves, so that if Absol can't sweep it can give its boosts to something else.
Again, no room. You need SD and Sucker Punch, and you need coverage and reliable STAB.

Thanks for the suggestions, but I think it's good the way it is. They are good ideas, but they aren't something I would put just because Absol has no room left after all of the moves it requires to be viable.

Okay, let me rephrase. It doesn't USUALLY have the space for it. USUALLY, you want to have Zen Headbutt or Iron Tail in the third slot, but if you have Absol on a team where that coverage is not necessary and you want to lure out Mega Aggron and Forretress to KO them, then Fire Blast is completely viable.

And SD Absol does not actually NEED a coverage move. SD / Sucker Punch / Knock Off / Baton Pass is a legitimate set that is effective, if perhaps sometimes less so than those versions that run coverage moves. And while Dark + Fighting or Dark + Fairy are the best combinations for the SD set, Dark + Psychic and Dark + Steel are viable.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Pros:
  • Massive 150 Atk stat and great SpA and Spe stats (1)
  • Strong priority in Sucker Punch
  • Great movepool
  • Magic Bounce blocks status and hazards from M-Absol. (2)
  1. You mention its "great special attack stat", but then no special moves get a main slash on any of the sets.
  2. Magic Bounce doesn't block hazards from Mega Absol. It stops them being set up while it is in, but they can still be set up when it is not. Also, Absol can still be poisoned and badly poisoned by Toxic Spikes with Magic Bounce. Reword this.
ability: Justified -> Magic Bounce
You shouldn't do this even when it is a skeleton. It should be this:
ability: Justified

Okay, let me rephrase. It doesn't USUALLY have the space for it. USUALLY, you want to have Zen Headbutt or Iron Tail in the third slot, but if you have Absol on a team where that coverage is not necessary and you want to lure out Mega Aggron and Forretress to KO them, then Fire Blast is completely viable.

And SD Absol does not actually NEED a coverage move. SD / Sucker Punch / Knock Off / Baton Pass is a legitimate set that is effective, if perhaps sometimes less so than those versions that run coverage moves. And while Dark + Fighting or Dark + Fairy are the best combinations for the SD set, Dark + Psychic and Dark + Steel are viable.
Ok, that makes more sense. I'll put it in moves. And coverage is important so your sweep can't just be hard countered, but I see your point.

1. You mention its "great special attack stat", but then no special moves get a main slash on any of the sets.
  2. Magic Bounce doesn't block hazards from Mega Absol. It stops them being set up while it is in, but they can still be set up when it is not. Also, Absol can still be poisoned and badly poisoned by Toxic Spikes with Magic Bounce. Reword this.
You shouldn't do this even when it is a skeleton. It should be this:
Thanks for catching that, I'm adding Fire Blast so I'll keep the SpA part. I will rephrase the Magic Bounce thing.

i used SD absol a lot, and in very few cases i found myself needing to use night slash, but tbh swamp link has a point; you should probably put night slash over WoW on the move 4 of the SD set, and add WoW to other options. after that, this is qc approved 1/3

edit: also, i forgot mentioning you should slash in an adamant nature, on the sd set; 329 speed is already enough for outspeeding pretty much every wall, and you're probably going to use sucker punch against faster mons anyway, so i don't see why not running adamant

edit 2, @your post below: lol, i noticed it. however, after you write up an analysis, try to tag the qc members or write on their walls to ask them to qc check your stuff, good luck in the future

i used SD absol a lot, and in very few cases i found myself needing to use night slash, but tbh swamp link has a point; you should probably put night slash over WoW on the move 4 of the SD set, and add WoW to other options. after that, this is qc approved 1/3
THANK GOD. I actually got a QC. I'll change it now, thanks soooooooo much! :D

EDIT: Ok, Adamant it is. Lol yeah I've been waiting for like a week, I'll have to be a little more vocal about it in the future. Thanks! :3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)