Pokémon Absol

Status
Not open for further replies.
For anyone who is interested, I have a box full of Absols with 5 perfect IVs + Play Rough. I'm trying to get a flawless one, so I don't mind trading some of these. Please message me/leave me a shout-out though, so I don't change the topic into a trading thread.

Also, do we have any other notable Pokemon to have good synergy with Absol, other than Scizor and Aegislash?

For anyone who is interested, I have a box full of Absols with 5 perfect IVs + Play Rough. I'm trying to get a flawless one, so I don't mind trading some of these. Please message me/leave me a shout-out though, so I don't change the topic into a trading thread.

Also, do we have any other notable Pokemon to have good synergy with Absol, other than Scizor and Aegislash?
Anything that can take bug, fighting and fairy type attacks works well. I think a bulky Aegislash is probably best as it takes all three of those and can hit back hard with STAB Shadow Claw. Absol can also take the dark and ghost attacks aimed at Aegislash and hit back with Play Rough/Superpower or Sucker Punch. Mawile could be decent, but it doesn't have the stats to back up MegaAbsol (and obviously MegaMawile isn't an option).

I really can't think of much else. Psychic types are good because they can take out mach punch users and they aren't afraid of fairy-types, but that shared bug weakness is problematic.

What about this set?
Mega absol
Protect
Baton pass
Sword dance
And sucker punch

You could use protect to stop it being hit from anything that outspeeds it the turn it nega evolves, the next turn it uses SD, and then the 3rd turn it uses Baton pass? Could some one explain if this would work? I'm new to this.

It could work, but personally I think Sucker Punch is all it needs to secure a mega evolution. It OHKOs so many things with that attack. Only fairy, dark and fighting types can really take it (and strong walls like Skarmory). And it covers two of those with play rough. Protect seems like a wasted slot to me.

I wish there was a way to get play rough and snatch on the same set, though. Kind of unfortunate.

True. It coud just sword dance. Tho I still think protect would be good if the opponent has higer speed. As Mega Absol could be 1HKO'd very easy from what I see

True. It coud just sword dance. Tho I still think protect would be good if the opponent has higer speed. As Mega Absol could be 1HKO'd very easy from what I see
Um, I wouldn't give Absol Protect either. Even though it does get KO'd very easily, you could send Absol in on a Psychic-type Pokemon and use SD on the switch, since you're not running Pursuit. Perhaps you could run another offensive move instead? Psycho Cut is always a good one to counter the Fighting-types, and it's neutral on Fairies.

But If Mega Absol is your first or last pokemon you send out and the opnent isn't physcic, I can see you losing the battle very easy. Idk tho Physcho cutter does sound like it would be better than protect. I'm still trying to understand alot about competitive battling as I am very new to it and all my pokemon alway get 1HKO'd I decided it was time to start learning more. And Right now I have a hard time understaing some of these things.

What I'm saying is, it's slow speed doesn't matter with Sucker Punch. Sucker Punch is a priority move that always goes first if your opponent attacks. And if he doesn't attack then... he didn't attack and you mega evolved no problem. So either he tried to status you, and it got bounced back at him. he attacked, and you Sucker Punched with a 150 base attack stat, which not a lot of things can survive (and if they can, they're usually slower than even regular Absol and he has coverage moves) or he started boosting/used substitute, which is why snatch is a good move on MegaAbsol, the one thing your opponent can RELIABLY do against Absol, Absol can just steal.

Protect just isn't necessary and you're better off with more offensive coverage. Honestly, though, I don't really love Swords Dance on Absol, I think it's just too fragile to use it well when even resisted hits will almost KO it.

But If Mega Absol is your first or last pokemon you send out and the opnent isn't physcic, I can see you losing the battle very easy. Idk tho Physcho cutter does sound like it would be better than protect. I'm still trying to understand alot about competitive battling as I am very new to it and all my pokemon alway get 1HKO'd I decided it was time to start learning more. And Right now I have a hard time understaing some of these things.
Yeah, same here! Competitive battling has lots to remember, especially with stats and movepools and potential threats and what-not.
Anyways, if you're worried about Mega Absol getting KO'd right away, remember that it got Magic Bounce, essentially granting it immunity to status-based moves. You can set up on those too.

Yeah, same here! Competitive battling has lots to remember, especially with stats and movepools and potential threats and what-not.
Anyways, if you're worried about Mega Absol getting KO'd right away, remember that it got Magic Bounce, essentially granting it immunity to status-based moves. You can set up on those too.

If only I knew what set up ment. Anyways Due to Mega Absols Movepool, he doesn't seem to have many threats, tho I'd hate to see Mega absol Vs Mega Gengar.

If only I knew what set up ment. Anyways Due to Mega Absols Movepool, he doesn't seem to have many threats, tho I'd hate to see Mega absol Vs Mega Gengar.
I suggest you do some research and find out, then. It's not our job to babysit or educate you.

The actual smogon website has a large hearth of information on these subjects. Take a look at past gen analysis, and the huge number of articles on things. It's probably faster than asking us a bunch of questions.

Tiny little point. The anagram for speed is spe. Spd is special defense. Unless you meant special defense... not a bad set, though. Pursuit isn't too bad, but MOST things that Absol wants to pursuit outspeed it. And it doesn't have the bulk to risk taking the hit. Though Sucker Punch could scare them off. Man, prediction with this thing is so tricky.

I love the combination of Sucker Punch and Snatch. Snatching Gengar's subs is gonna be a lot of fun, but again, this thing is SO tricky to use. If they predict your Snatch then you're done.

And yeah, Absol's ability to bounce back hazards is a bonus and should only be used secondarily. I think magic bounce has more use bouncing back status, taunt, things like that. A rapid spinner/defogger should definitely be used instead or if you really want to use magic bounce for that purpose, then Espeon bounces back hazards much better. I also don't think Absol has any place switching in or being a lead. Absol is a revenge killer and late game sweeper.

Sucker Punch can actually be used as a nice taunt really. You switch in on something that out speeds regular Absol, you use Sucker Punch, and if they attack then you have priority and if they don't, then, well, they didn't attack and you've now got your mega-evolved Absol without having to take a hit.
Oh, sorry. You're right, I did mean SPE, not SPD. I will edit my original post to reflect this.

Since Absol is weak to Fighting, Bug and Fairy, the aforementioned Aegislash partnering would work well (and since Aegislash is also based around prediction/timing and mind games, you sort of get a theme going there...). I think that some partners with fast Volt Switches or U-Turns might be beneficial too, in the same vein as the Baton Pass Recipient set, to not only dish out some damage but bring Magic Bounce in.

I also like xenxio's notion of adding Me First instead of Pursuit from a theorectical/thematic perspective though it is also risky. If you could get the OHKO with Sucker Punch, it's best not to risk stealing a move that they resist and being killed in turn, and if you can't ensure the OHKO either way, it's often better to switch to a pivot because of how papery Absol's defenses are.

EDIT: What about partnering him with Chandelure? 4x Resist to Bug, 2x Resist to Fairy, Immune to Fighting (same as Aegislash), with the added benefit of Flash Fire, if you run it, making you immune to Fire as well? Do Scizor/Lucario (thing I am anticipating as pretty common checks to our boy MegaAbsol) run anything that would even remotely scare a Chandelure?

Last edited:
"Set up" means to use a boosting move like Swords Dance in order to attempt to sweep the opponent's team (knock out as many Pokemon as you can with one of yours).

Absol definitely has threats, but they're more like checks rather than counters. A counter, by definition, is a Pokemon that can switch in safely AND threaten to knock out your Pokemon. A check is a threat, but not necessarily one that can safely switch in. Life Orb Technician Breloom would be a great check to Absol, for example, as Mach Punch would take you out. A faster Pokemon that resists Sucker Punch would also work, such as Scarfed Terrakion. In fact, Scarf Terrakion can some in safely on any move Absol might run except Play Rough/Psycho Cut, so you'd have to predict that, but also is not threatened by Sucker Punch at all, especially with Justified. If Absol isn't running Fire Blast for some bizarre reason, Ferrothorn walls it too.

The fact that Absol also has Magic Bounce makes it a lot trickier to counter by conventional means like burning or paralyzing it. In terms of Mega Gengar, you have to be EXTREMELY careful, because if you choose Focus Blast and Absol goes for Sucker Punch, you're dead. Substitute Mega Gengar is an option, as you resist Rough Play (poison type) and will be able to predict Sucker Punch and substitute, making you safe to KO Absol from there.

Snatch-Absol can steal it's sub, though, if he predicts it. And then you're as good as KOed. Also, Play Rough does enough damage to break MegaGengar's substitutes.

(Only problem there is, Absol doesn't get Snatch and Play Rough on the same set... Snatch is a gen 5 tutor move, while Play Rough is an egg move. Unless Snatch is hereditary as well.)

Almost no matter what, Absol vs. Gengar is a prediction war. Unless it's just regular Gengar, then Absol just KOes it.

"Set up" means to use a boosting move like Swords Dance in order to attempt to sweep the opponent's team (knock out as many Pokemon as you can with one of yours).

Absol definitely has threats, but they're more like checks rather than counters. A counter, by definition, is a Pokemon that can switch in safely AND threaten to knock out your Pokemon. A check is a threat, but not necessarily one that can safely switch in. Life Orb Technician Breloom would be a great check to Absol, for example, as Mach Punch would take you out. A faster Pokemon that resists Sucker Punch would also work, such as Scarfed Terrakion. In fact, Scarf Terrakion can some in safely on any move Absol might run except Play Rough/Psycho Cut, so you'd have to predict that, but also is not threatened by Sucker Punch at all, especially with Justified. If Absol isn't running Fire Blast for some bizarre reason, Ferrothorn walls it too.

The fact that Absol also has Magic Bounce makes it a lot trickier to counter by conventional means like burning or paralyzing it. In terms of Mega Gengar, you have to be EXTREMELY careful, because if you choose Focus Blast and Absol goes for Sucker Punch, you're dead. Substitute Mega Gengar is an option, as you resist Rough Play (poison type) and will be able to predict Sucker Punch and substitute, making you safe to KO Absol from there.

Thank you for explaining those terms. I appreciate it ^^. And thanks for telling me a good moveset ^^

If we could get back on topic....?

....So obviously Rough Play is a great move for Megabsol... But what if it DOES want to run Snatch? What kind of set would a Snatch/non-Rough Play Absol be able to effectively run? I'm thinking Iron Tail might be a decent coverage move for fairies, something like maybe Snatch + Sucker Punch + Iron Tail + Fire Blast / Superpower / Ice Beam? Going mixed allows it to abuse CM boosts as well as SD / Subs / things like that. Maybe running Iron Tail leaves it open to too many things, though. SP+Iron Tail+FiBlast leaves it open to Mega Gyarados, for instance. Hmm.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm not sure if Iron Tail is legal on Absol; the thing is, Iron Tail is a BW2 Tutor move, so it might be illegal.

Absol is pretty good imo, and I went ahead and gave Mega Absol a swing on PS!. Works quite well honestly; Mega Absol is fast and powerful and has great coverage, and those Sucker Punches hurt. Absol's looking to be a lot better this gen with its Mega evo having better offenses (even though Absol was really good in BW RU and DPP UU imo). Mixed variants are also looking pretty interesting.

Little bit of testing on PS! (though I don't know if it's my internet or what but I am having trouble finding games...), I'm finding myself concerned that Absol is basically countered by any sort of bulky attacker. His need to OHKO is rather extreme, because he is so frail. Bulky Waters and Grass Types will be especially irksome for him, I think. He can't run enough coverage for everything; I think the best thing that can be done for MA's coverage is having some solid tanks to switch to.

Snatch is just as illegal as Iron Tail. I think. Can anyone confirm or deny whether Absol can learn Snatch as an egg move?

My BW Absol I made has Snatch/Sucker Punch/Superpower/Fire Blast. My XY one has Swords Dance/Sucker Punch/Play Rough/Fire Blast. But I think I might replace Swords Dance with something.

And yeah, Absol needs solid partners to take hits for it. Bulky hard-hitting things that can take out high-defense pokemon.

Snatch is just as illegal as Iron Tail. I think. Can anyone confirm or deny whether Absol can learn Snatch as an egg move?

My BW Absol I made has Snatch/Sucker Punch/Superpower/Fire Blast. My XY one has Swords Dance/Sucker Punch/Play Rough/Fire Blast. But I think I might replace Swords Dance with something.

And yeah, Absol needs solid partners to take hits for it. Bulky hard-hitting things that can take out high-defense pokemon.
Aren't both of them Gen 4 TM moves? It's not technically legal right now, yeah, but assuming Pokebank come December... *shrug* It's illegal with Play Rough, naturally, so I guess the question is whether or not it's worth it to forgo that for Snatch.

I agree, taking hits is definitely a problem for Absol. I'm going to be testing a mixed attacker/trapper set once Showdown starts working for me again.

They`re both Gen 5 Tutor moves. I`m saying they`re illegal because we don`t have pokemon bank yet. Well, actually I wasn`t saying they were illegal at all. I was just saying we can`t get them yet.

I'd say that is an important distinction. o3o
I generally just assume that PokeBank IS a factor just because it's not going to be long before it actually is.

So... in assuming, of course, that it IS... Would Iron Tail and/or Snatch be viable on Absol is the question that I'm still curious to hear people address.

Aegislash as mentioned is almost a perfect partner. Has the bulk to take hits for Absol, and is resistant/immune to all of it's weaknesses. Absol absorbs status for it and can take ghost/dark type attacks sort of okay. I think Sylveon is a good choice too. Good bulk and offensive presence, fairy hits the dark and fighting types that wall Absol. And it has wish to heal up Aegislash.

So... in assuming, of course, that it IS... Would Iron Tail and/or Snatch be viable on Absol is the question that I'm still curious to hear people address.
I think Snatch is super-viable on it. Iron Tail, I think it gets better coverage elsewhere. Superpower and Play Rough are both a lot better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)