Absolute Bearing, An OU Rain Team (BW2)

With the release of Black & White 2 many new and deadly threats were introduced to our already fast and aggressive meta-game. Like many of you, I was eager to try out a few of them. I immediately fell in love with CB Techloom who went from being an annoying, dopey looking Pokemon to a mean and green machine. Regenerator Amoongus, while sturdy as fuck, was not suited for my play-style and the number of new special attackers was a bit overwhelming. I couldn’t just pick one or two and leave the other one out without a good reason! In the end I decided on making a team based around Thundurus-T and his massive base 145 special attack.

Team Building-Process

The center and focus of the team Thundurus-T provides the team with two immunities and great offensive capabilities.

Next I wanted a Pokemon that resisted Thundurus-T's two weaknesses, Ice and Rock. I came up with Specially Defensive Jirachi because of his resistances, bulk, and many roles.

The next addition was Choice Specs Latios who, like Thundurus-T hits very hard from the special side and brings some nice resistances with a side of Speed.

This team looks like it needs some rain!

Magneton because fuck Tornadus-T, Steel types, and Water-type Pokemon!

Last but not least, Keldeo who provides the team with a third set of Ice/Rock resistances.

Politoed @ Chesto Berry
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 Def
Modest Nature
- Hypnosis
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Rest

First up is Chesto-Rest Politoed. The EVs are tailored to give maximum damage output while maintaining resiliency, ensuring I win the weather wars. With how powerful my offensive Pokemon are, opposing weather inducers will wear down quickly allowing Politoed to keep my preferred weather on the field.

The attacks are standard insuring great coverage and punishing switches.

Changed Focus Blast to Hypnosis to cripple and punish predicted switches.

Thundurus-Therian @ Leftovers
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SAtk / 164 Spd / 92 HP
Modest Nature
- Focus Blast
- Thunder
- Agility
- Hidden Power [Ice]

The star of the team, Thundurus-T is an offensive force to be reckoned with. Arcticblast's post is what actually inspired me to put together this team with this set. After one Agility, this Thundurus-T is an incredible mid to late game sweeper OHKOing and finishing many Pokemon under rain due to the massive power he packs with a Life Orb.

Thanks to Volt Absorb, opponents think twice before using Electric attacks which afford Keldeo and Politoed additional turns of survival. Additionally, they grant me a free switch in through Stealth Rock.

He is vulnerable however, as 279 Speed is rather slow for this metagame.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SDef / 32 Spd
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Stealth Rock
- Body Slam
- Iron Head

Aside from having excellent defensive synergy with Thundurus-T, Jirachi fills many rolls on my team. Jirachi sets up Stealth Rock, guaranteeing significant amounts of damage to my opposition. Besides setting up the omnipresent hazard, Jirachi also functions as a Wish-passer, gifting 202 HP to all my offensive and frail Pokemon. The icing on the cake? Jirachi tanks special attackers like a motherfucking boss.

AND, AND, AND when Jirachi feels like it, he can also take out one or two Pokemon because of Serene Grace. By spreading Paralysis around, Jirachi often cripples switch ins AND makes Thundurus-T's life a lot easier. Most battlers must assume I'm running SubCM Jirachi because he is the flavor of the month.

While Jirachi did not gain any significant new tools in BW 2, he indirectly benefited with the introduction of the Therians thanks to his ability to tank hits and retaliate.

Purple Ponies @ Leftovers
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Secret Sword
- Calm Mind
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Surf

Keldeo-R is meant to be the second rain abuser. Keldeo is also my obligatory Fighting-type because that is what this generation is all about. With Secret Sword, I can easily get around pink blobs and proceed to sweep. Hidden Power Ghost allows me to remove Jelli, Lati@s, and Slowbro who are my main counters (but not really).

Hidden Power Grass now allows me to easily get around Water/Ground types while still letting me hit Jellicent/Slowbro for SE damage and a potential 2HKO.

As mentioned earlier, Keldeo provides me with another set of Ice/Rock resistances to prolong the longevity of Thundurus-T and in return, Thundurus-T absorbs Electric and Flying attacks aimed at Keldeo.

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Psyshock
- Dragon Pulse

I went with Choice Specs Latios because he is a fast and powerful Pokemon. Latios also has great resistances which I can take advantage of. Once the Steels are removed, very few Pokemon survive Specs boosted Draco Meteor.

Latios is also the dummy pre-teen girl account on how to catch a predator. Ill send him out early on in the match in an attempt to bait my opponent into a double switch only to have their Scizor/Ferrothorn trapped by Magneton. It goes something like that.

Trick is my fourth option although Ive considered Psychic and Dragon Pulse over it since I rarely find the time to use it. I don't really see a reason to use Psychic over Dragon Pulse though.

Currently testing a Scarf version with four attacks to easily clean up teams.

Swag By The Fuckton @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]

#Basedfreestyle #Swag #TYBG #Rare #EvilRedFlame #omg

I exchanged a bit of power for speed with ScarfTon so that I could revenge kill Tornadus-T if I need it to come down to that. Everyone already knows that Magneton is a trapper and its purpose is to remove rival Steel-types.

Volt Switch was a neat addition this generation and I am glad Magneton got it as well. Not much to say about this Pokemon besides that it also resists Thundurus-T's weaknesses.

As you can see its a very offensive team. By nature it punishes mistakes by both players severely. While the team was originally built with the idea of Thundurus-T sweeping, Keldeo ends up sweeping a lot of the time as well because of its awesome STABs and ability to get around pink blobs.

The team isnt perfect and any input/advice is appreciated ~_~

First off, you have no coverage against fighting types and with conkeldurr and the muskedeers almost omnipresent it wouldn't hurt. That is the main reason why latios should have psychic. You have no coverage against ghost and psychic types either, excluding the hp ghost on keldeo. However, an Alakazam could very easily outspeed your Keldeo and OHKO with psyshock or psychic. You also have no solid answer to water/ground types. Try grass knot or hp grass on keldeo instead of the hp ghost. You might also want to see if you could open a slot for dark pulse on thunderus-t. Maybe instead of hp ice. Your team is also weak to electric types. Try running some sort of ground move. I'm not sure where it wold fit on your team, though. Otherwise your team has pretty outstanding defensive synergy. Sorry for being vague, but you seem to really like the Pokemon you've chosen and they seem to be working well for you. The only way to cover that offensive gap to electric types is to replace one of your Pokemon with another. This could potentially corrupt the defensive synergy of the team, thus being counterproductive. Thankfully most electric types used in OU are either frail or named rotom. So you can opt to hit it hard or super-effectively on its secondary type. Rotom-w is actually another perfect example of why you should run hp grass.

Hey man really nice team you have here. First off, I'd recommend trying Lum Berry > Life Orb on Thundurus-T. Thundurus-T with a Modest nature already delivers huge damage so a Life Orb isn't all that necessary. A Lum Berry will allow you to continue sweeping without worrying of a status problem. Next, I'd recommend running Hypnosis > Focus Blast on Politoed. This combined with ParaFlinch Jirachi can really put a hole in the opponent's team, making it much easier for Thundurus to sweep or even Magneton to revenge kill. I also suggest putting Psyshock > Hidden Power [Fire] on Latios. You're already trapping and killing steels with Magneton and if Rain is up, HP Fire isn't really the greatest move to use. Psyshock, on the other hand, helps Latios to hit the physically defensive end of the opponent's team, which can be useful at times. Alternatively, you can use Dragon Pulse instead and finish off weakened Pokemon due to Latios's great speed and no Special Attack drop. Another little suggestion is trying out Thunder > Body Slam on Jirachi. With 100% accuracy under the Rain and a 60% chance of Paralysis, it can really come in handy, especially against Rotom-W. I also agree with Morningsun on running HP Grass on Keldeo. Gastrodon looks like a nightmare for your team to handle. After 1 Calm Mind, HP Grass has 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock damage. That's all I have man, hope I helped.

Thanks for the advice guys. I tested some of the changes and I'm decided Im going to dump Focus Blast for Hypnosis on Politoed. Hitting predicted switches with Sleep status has proven to be a great little trick.

I'm not going to change Body Slam to Thunder on Jirachi simply because Ground-type Pokemon will be allowed too many free switch-ins with this team. Presently, Jirachi is performing better than I could have asked. His special bulk is incredible.

I am going to go with HP Grass on Keldeo to quickly dispatch any opposing Quagsire/Gastrodon I may run into. As a bonus, HP Grass still lets me hit Jellicent and Slowbro for SE damage. Starmie really has no business switching in >.>

The Lum Berry change on Thundurus-T really hasn't worked out. I find the berry is ever rarely consumed. I'm going to try out Leftovers instead.

Lately Latios has been underwhelming. I think I will try a four attack Choice Scarf version before replacing him.

And once again, thanks for the suggestions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)