1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Absolute Pwn

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by DragonMaster09, Mar 9, 2011.

1. DragonMaster09

DragonMaster09

After reading about how awesome Excadrill is, i decided to make a team around him. here's the final version.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Team Building Process

needed a way to set up Excadrill. the most obvious way is with a pokemon that has the sandstream ability. there are only 2, and since I greatly prefer offensive to defense.....

[​IMG] [​IMG]

with Excadrill's greatest weakness being fighting types, i decided I needed a ghost to handle them. and so.....

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

obvious offensive choice here. now i need something to take care of the greatest Tyranitar counter, Scizor. That led me to....

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

yep. amazing steel killer. nuff said on that. with excadrill being weak to fire, water, fighting, and ground, i wanted something that could resist those. its bad enough that those are like the most common types in the game. I managed to find a pokemon resistant to fire, water, and fighting, and immune to ground. its also a great sweeper with few counters. allow me to introduce.....

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

bringing in gyarados brought another weakness to my attention. bulky waters. bulky waters can easily wall gyara, and possibly excadrill. hmm. grass types would lure in fires to be taken out by gyarados, while electrics is just like sayin "hey, ima let u set up ur own excadrill". not a fan of any of the grass types we have tho, so i decided to go with a water of my own.....

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

very powerful, very fast, excellent coverage. now my team was complete. I was content with it and convinced I had produced a very effective team. However, i decided to take another look at the 5th gen pokes. one pokemon wasnt enough to immerse myself in the new gen to my satisfaction. then I came across an amazing pokemon.....

[​IMG]

a ghost/fire type? with the shadow tag ability? what a gift for this team. able to easily take the place of both gengar and magnezone. it fulfills both of their roles, and not only takes up only half the space on my team, but also does the jobs better.

now i'm left with.....

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

now to fill the empty spot. hmm. what openings can i create that i should be exploiting more? well, i'm able to take down steels and waters really well.......OH I KNOW!! DRAGONS!! as you can probably tell by my username, i love dragons. i almost always try to include at least one on my team, and yet somehow this team ended up without one. these are my choices.....

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

dragonite, salamence, and hydreigon, while great in their own right, were quickly eliminated as viable choices. hydreigon woulda meant adding a 3rd pokemon weak to fighting, and without a move to raise its bad speed, that means a scarf, and im not a fan of choice items. dragonite and salamence have a stealth rock weakness, and are either weaker or slower than latios, garchomp, or haxorus. now to start ranking these 3 in every category i can think of.

ability: garchomp, haxorus, latios

garchomps sand veil is clearly most synergetic with the team. haxorus's mold breaker allows it to hit bronzong and rotom's with EQ. nice if the opponent has pokemon with levitate thats weak to ground. latios's levitate is pretty much useless. nobody is gonna use ground moves against a latios.

offensive stat: haxorus, then a tie between garchomp/latios

speed: latios, garchomp, haxorus

but thats only their stats before their respective boosts. after a swords dance on chomp, dragon dance on haxorus, and calm mind on latios.....

offensive stat: garchomp, haxorus, latios.

speed: haxorus, latios, garchomp.

i really dont care about calm minds special defense boost, but latios has the advantage of not relying on outrage as its dragon STAB move. a steel type can switch into a dragon locked into outrage, and wall it. latios can KO back with hidden power fire. sure i have chandy as a steel killer, but I can't rely on chandy for everything. otherwise im screwed if he's taken out before he can kill all the counters to my other pokemon. speed is crucial to a sweep, but either way, none of these 3 are gonna be happy to see an opposing scarfed dragon. haxorus and latios can take the ice shard, and garchomp has access to fire fang to take down ice or steels.

as you can see, i had a tough decision on my hands. I decided to go with Chomp. the importance of the speed difference is reduced when you consider that the new ice types are slow, scarfed hydreigon will be common, and that if ppl want a fast ice move, they'll just use ice shard anyway. so the decision was made based on offense and ability. chomp wins in both. a +2 outrage will OHKO, or at least seriously dent, anything not steel. moves with 100% accuracy now have 80% accuracy. moves with 80% accuracy now have 64% accuracy. not to mention that the thunder wave immunity helps greatly.

now on to the specific builds of each.

[​IMG]

Tyranitar

type: dark/rock
    ability: sand stream
    nature: jolly
    item: life orb

EV distrubution
    hp: 4
    atk: 252
    speed: 252

Attacks:
    Dragon Dance
    Crunch
    Stone Edge
    Earthquake

comments: standard dragon dance set.

[​IMG]

Excadrill

type: ground/steel
    ability: sand rush

EV distribution

Attacks:
    Swords Dance
    Earthquake
    Metal Claw
    Rock Slide

comments: i opt for rock slide over x-scissor because x-scissor just simply doesnt hit many common types super effectively. flying types can come in with immunity to my EQ, so i use rock slide to hit them super effectively. metal claw will be used whenever EQ or rock slide are unable to hit super effectively, and when metal claw can hit for at least neutral damage. the extra attack boosts will be greatly appreciated. sure it has low BP, but its still STAB, and will be at +2.

[​IMG]
    Chandelure

type: ghost/fire
    ability: shadow tag
    nature: naive

EV distribution
    special atk: 252

Attacks:
    Shadow Ball
    Flame Charge
    Calm Mind
    Substitute

the fighting/steel killer. i chose flame charge as my STAB fire because its needed to raise chandelures low speed. besides, stab is still stab, and chandelure has very nice special atk. i feel really bad for the guy that uses a fighting type move with a choiced pokemon on the turn i switch into chandelure. while the opp is unable to switch, and locked into a move im immune to, i'll just calm mind 6 times, substitue, then flame charge until i get the KO. my immense speed and special attack can then get an unhindered sweep. i can still do this to a lesser extent against steels, but i doubt i'll get 6 calm minds since i'd still take dmg from the steel attacks, lol.

[​IMG]

Gyarados

type: water/flying
    ability: intimidate

EV distribution

Attacks:
    Dragon Dance
    Waterfall
    Earthquake
    Stone Edge

comments: standard DD set

[​IMG]

Starmie

type: water/psychic
    ability: natural cure
    nature: timid

EV distribution
    special atk: 252

Attacks:
    Surf
    Thunderbolt
    Ice Beam
    Hidden Power - Grass

comments: pretty much the standard life orb set. except instead of recover/rapid spin for the last slot, i opt for hidden power grass to have an answer to swampert.

[​IMG]

Garchomp

type: dragon/ground
    ability: sand veil

EV distribution

Attacks:
    Swords Dance
    Earthquake
    Outrage
    Fire Fang

comments: standard swords dance set.

thats my team. lemme know what you think
  2. YAYtears

YAYtears

LOL at how no one is rating this thread. Have you ever considered a reliable dragon resist for your team. Seriously Specs draco meteors runs all over the place, shandera's gonna take a huge hit because it doesn't outspeed, doryuuzu has sucky defences, and tyranitar with no defence evs without pursuit is lol.
  3. hoiboy

hoiboy

So then why post this in a forum of morons?
    If we can't see it, maybe you should spell it out for us.

EDIT:
    A rate is essentially a personal favor. There's nothing on Smogon's Terms and Agreements or whatever that says that we have to rate your teams (or anybody else's, for that matter!). A rate is done because we want to help you improve your team while benefiting our own rating skills.
    If you're not going to be putting the time into making descriptions and talking for 3 sentences why it's on the team and what roles it fulfills and how it helps you accomplish your goal and whatever, why should any potential rater give 3 shits about what you're talking about? It's a 2-way relationship. If all you're going to do is sit around and insult people for trying to make their rate OF YOUR TEAM easier (or even possible), good luck getting rates.
  4. DragonMaster09

DragonMaster09

i already HAVE spelled it out.
  5. -Chi

-Chi

In this team you have...
    - 2 SDs
    - 2 DDs
    - 1 CM
    - All 6 Pokes with life orb
    You can spot the big weakness already lol.
  6. DragonMaster09

DragonMaster09

omg hoiboy. i HAVE explained why each pokemon is here, and what is does, and how they all work together. seriously, i honestly dont get what you dumbass fucktards are so confused about. how can you honestly be so stupid and blind that you dont wee where i've explained everything? do you REALLY even NEED me to explain certain things? do you REALLY need me to explain such obvious sets?
  7. Jaroda

Jaroda

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101846 Here, it's this fella's first post and RMT as well and his is beautiful. Much better and cleaner format. Makes Team Building prcoess, then lists each pokemon's set, explains why he chose that set, what threats it deals with, and how it compliments his team. I'd follow his example.
  8. Mizuhime

Mizuhime the echoes of silence
    is a Tutoris a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus
    Doubles Queen

1- 6 life orbs
    2- water pokemon lol at ur team,
    3- also misty swims Picture sums up this thread
    4- shadowtag is banned,
    5- not so shure on the speed but scarf chomp has a field day on ur team once gyara is dead, being able to ohko garchomp, doryuuzu, starmie, maybe ttar and shandalere, with eq and outrage repectivley
  9. LeviLamprey

LeviLamprey

Also, you mention Chandelure's STAB Fire-type move as Flame Charge, saying that it has monstrous Special Attack, but Flame Charge is a physical move and your Chandelure is walled by Normal-types. Why is your TTar DD, and why does everything have Life Orb? Excadrill doesn't need Metal CLaw, opt for a stronger physical move or a support option: Steel STAB isn't the best and MEtal Claw has a low base power. I can't really tell how everything meshes together without the expanded paragraphs, at least put in a brief couple of sentences because we can see what the set is but not how it works. This Hyper Offense team is TOO Hyper Offensive and the entire team kills itself with Life Orb. CHandelure is the only remotely strategically explained Pokemon, and it is shut down by Normals. You also have no way to stop Dragons without Starmie. We aren't trying to be snooty and arrogant, but you need to expand a bit before posting your RMT. Please don't take it as offense, because it isn't (unlike your team!)
  10. ShadowSpeedRider89

ShadowSpeedRider89

First: The Rate.
    1. You do know that Flame Charge is a PHYSICAL ATTACK, right? Your explanation makes it sound like Flame Charge is a special attack, when it isn't at all. Sure, it raises Chandlure's Speed, but it needs a powerful Fire-type STAB attack in order to serve its purpose as your team's Steel check. I suggest you opt for a Choice Scarf set instead. Something like:
    Chandlure@Choice Scarf
    Nature: Timid (+Speed, -Attack)
    Ability: Flash Fire (since Shadow Tag is banned)
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Special Attack/252 Speed
    Moveset:
    Overheat/Fire Blast
    Shadow Ball
    Energy Ball
    Hidden Power Ground/Ice
    You convert Fire-type moves into damaging power, have a powerful attack against Swampert, lower your Life Orb dependency and can take out the vast majority of Steel-Types (or have some more support against Dragon-types if you opt for Hidden Power Ice.)

2. Metal Claw on Excadrill = FAIL. X-Scissor and Rock Slide, alongside Earthquake, help you so much more in the long run.

3. You don't have a useful lead, really. The first Pokemon sent into battle has to be well thought-out and calculated, especially with weather teams running rampant EVERYWHERE. Should Tyranitar be taken out and your opponent have a Ninetails/Politoed/Abomasnow, your team is pretty much done for (since you based it around Excadrill, right?)

4. EXPAND YOUR DESCRIPTIONS. PLEASE. We ALL think there needs to be more. Jarooda is right in every reason he told you to expand them.
  11. Haunter

Haunter 100% avocado
    is an official Team Rateris a Battle Server Administratoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris an Administratoris a Tutor Alumnus
    Líder máximo

While you have a very detailed team building process, you could use sligthly more detailed descriptions for you team members.

@ other people posting in this thread: don't act as junior moderators, it's against the rules. Telling someone that their descriptions are short is fine, but the bandwagon happened here is not acceptable.
  12. DragonMaster09

DragonMaster09

i will NEVER choice a chandelure. that is just retarded. metal claw on an excadrill is NOT fail. its far more powerful than x-scissor. anyone that thinks x-scissor should be on an excadrill instead of metal claw is a total idiot. water pokemon DO NOT beat this team. did you even bother to look at starmie? chandelure walled by normals? u do realize i could just easily replace substitute with flamethrower, right? then flame charge is still viable against the initial fighting or steel i switch into. clearly putting this team on the RMT servers was a bad move, since i seem to be the only one here who knows anything about competitive battling.
  13. ShadowSpeedRider89

ShadowSpeedRider89

Actually, Choice Scarf Chandelure is one of it's most popular sets. You're not the only one who knows about competitive battling - many people do. Besides, competitive battling is always evolving. Some unique sets are very useful and capable of changing the competitive scene for certain Pokemon, but not all of them. Mixed Chandelure is not one of those sets, in my opinion. Chandelure doesn't have the defenses to constantly be boosting its stats, it appreciates attacking fast and doing big damage right off the bat. That's why I suggested a Choice Scarf.

Even with STAB, Metal Claw is weaker than X-Scissor by 5 Base Power. X-Scissor can hit a good number Grass-Types for super effective damage (even though you may not stay in on them), many Psychic-Types for super effective damage and many Dark-Types for super effective damage. Metal Claw, by comparison, only hits Ice-types and Rock-types for super effective, and most Excadrill don't stay in on Ice-types anyway, since they either carry a Fighting, Water, Ground or Fire-type attack SPECIFICALLY to hit Steel-types. Earthquake handles the vast majority of Rock-Types, so Metal Claw just seems redundant, is all. Brick Break is also a viable option - has the same Base Power as STAB Metal Claw, hurts other Steel-types and opposing Ice-types (as well as Rock-types -- giving Excadrill the coverage Metal Claw would have and then some) and breaks the Reflects and Light Screens of stall teams and/or Baton Pass teams.

Three of your Pokemon (including Chandlure) take some level of super effective damage from Water-Type moves. Opposing Starmie can take you out very easily, along with the likes of RestTalk Milotic and Bulky Vaporeon with Wish and Hidden Power Electric. Garchomp takes Neutral damage from Water attacks, and Ice-type moves absolutely slaughter it.

I don't know why you're doing nothing but rejecting our advice. If someone posts a team here, then they should expect nitpicks and criticisms. We're not saying your team is BAD, despite how some of us may be wording our posts. We're simply saying that there are some things that could be improved. Whether you listen to us is up to you, but as someone rating your team, I don't feel like it's fair of you to call me and idiot and my suggestions retarded just because you don't agree with them. You don't have to - but it'd be nice if you could disagree more graciously. I can't speak for the other raters who've posted on this thread so far, but I'd imagine that they have similar feelings on the subject.
  14. Imanalt

Imanalt WHY BUNNELBY DO HAVE FUR?
    is a Tiering Contributor

first of all: "latios's levitate is pretty much useless. nobody is gonna use ground moves against a latios." you are running 3 pokes that are weak to ground, thats a free switch right there, not useless.

second, get rid of some of those sweepers and los

third, ttar is a terrible lead, if you want sand hippo is unquestionably better as it doesnt get raped by most common leads

fourth, a starmie that wins speed tie with your starmie sweeps your entire team

fifth, metal claw is an awful move, run either sub or xscissor i'd say, althouh there are other options

sixth, i would scarf the chandelure, cause you arent gonna have problems with pokes switching in on it

seventh, starmie needs psychic as a leadchamp would troll through nearly that whole team

eigth, why are you leading a sweeper? (although i already addressed your lead choice, i thought this needed a mention...)

and thats about it that i see...

EDIT: btw, i saw you said metal claw was better than xscissor... xscissor hits harder (base 85 vs base 75 for metal claw factoring in stab...) and gets better coverage
  15. Steamroll

Steamroll Tasty
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

I'll make my suggestions on this team.

1) T-Tar is better as a sweeper, not a lead. Use hippowdon instead.
    2) Way too many life orbs. you might want to give chandelure a scarf, like a few others have said.
    3) Scarf garchomp, it NEEDS the extra speed. Be aware of ice shard tho, since it takes huge damage.
    4) Starmie does need rapid spin because your team is very vulnerable to spikes and toxic spikes
    5) Skarmory can easily wall half your team, especially doryuuzu. and skarm can escape from chandelure by whirlwind before you can even attack and the fact that shadow tag is banned. So you should've kept magnezone. Magnezone can trap Skarm and also be able to dent, if not ohko it with Thunderbolt. Magnezone can also roast other steel types like forretress with HP fire.
    6)ShadowSpeed is right about Excadrill, there are way better options than Metal Claw.

RMT's are meant to be nitpicked at. No matter how good your team performs against others there's always one or two changes that could help it become better. Don't dismiss people who know what they are talking about, especially with RMT's.
  16. Imanalt

Imanalt WHY BUNNELBY DO HAVE FUR?
    is a Tiering Contributor

Skarm is killed by scarfed chandelure, so a scarf fixes that problem...
  17. -Chi

-Chi

I agree. Don't knock it till you try it! Scarfing works sooo good. Helped me in lots of situations : D

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)