Accelgor (Analysis)

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
GP CHECK TWO: The Quickening

remove
add

[Overview]

<p>Accelgor is a Pokemon that has many characteristics that set it apart from others. First of all, it's a ninja bug! That alone would make it cool, but it also has some competitive advantages to go with its look. It's the second fastest Pokemon with access to Spikes - base 145 Speed - only being outsped only by Deoxys-S. It also has a respectable base 100 Special Attack which, when coupled with STAB Bug-type attacks, lets it make a significant dent in the plethora of Psychic- and Dark-type Pokemon in OU. It also has some good coverage moves which make a sweeper set viable.</p>

<p>However, Accelgor also has some flaws that need to be considered. It has poor base defenses - 80 HP / 40 Def / 60 SpD - meaning it will often be KOed in one or two hits. This, when coupled with the Stealth Rock weakness due to its Bug typing and the vulnerability to Spikes and Toxic Spikes, means that if one wants it to stay around for more than one or two turns, support from its teammates is a must. But what really matters is that it has more advantages than flaws; so, if you need a Spikes user or a special sweeper, you should definitely consider the ninja bug Accelgor!</p>

[SET]
name: Spikes
move 1: Spikes
move 2: U-turn
move 3: Bug Buzz
move 4: Focus Blast / Yawn
nature: Hasty
item: Focus Sash
ability: Sticky Hold
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This set takes advantage of Accelgor's biggest asset - its Speed - to set up Spikes that support its teammates. U-turn is a good move as it allows Accelgor to maintain momentum when it is forced to switch out, and permits Accelgor to come back later in the match to set up even more Spikes. Bug Buzz is a powerful and reliable STAB attack that, when coming off a base 100 Special Attack stat, will dent the many myriad Psychic-type Pokemon in OU, such as Starmie, Reuniclus, Latios, and Latias. In the last slot, Focus Blast is a good option due to its chance to OHKO Tyranitar and 2HKO Heatran.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>A Hasty nature with max Speed EVs lets Accelgor outspeed the entire metagame, barring Deoxys-S and the rare Ninjask, whilst maintaining U-turn's power. The 252 Special Attack EVs maximize the damage output of Bug Buzz and Focus Blast. Sticky Hold is the ability of choice because it blocks Trick, thus protecting the ninja bug from being crippled by Choice items. Yawn is a great move because of its ability to force it forces the opponent to either switch out or have a Pokemon disabled for a few turns. Both of these scenarios can give Accelgor an extra turn to set up more entry hazards on the switch in. After the setup is complete, it Accelgor works wonders with U-turn to maintain momentum; since one can switch Accelgor in on a Pokemon it threatens, use Yawn on the switch-in, and U-turn to an appropriate counter, all the while racking up additional Spikes damage. An alternative EV spread of 120 HP / 252 SpA / 136 Spe can also be used to provide Accelgor with some much needed bulk, while still letting it outspeed base 130 Speed Pokemon such as Jolteon and Aerodactyl.</p>

<p>Prankster and Magic Bounce Pokemon are good checks as they prevent Accelgor from laying down Spikes. For example, Thundurus or Tornadus can come in, Taunt Accelgor while resisting its attacks, and fire off STAB Hurricane or Thunderbolt to destroy it. Espeon and Xatu are even more dangerous as they not only prevent the appearance of Spikes on their side of the field, but also reflect them back to Accelgor's side. Thankfully, Espeon, the more common of the two, takes huge damage from STAB Bug Buzz. One most must watch out for Xatu, however, as it is neutral to Bug Buzz, forcing Accelgor to switch as it recovers Roosts off damage.<p>

<p>Since Accelgor's main job with this set is to set up Spikes, a Ghost-type Pokemon is a good teammate to block Rapid Spin. Jellicent works wonders due to its bulk and access to Taunt, as well as status-inflicting moves like Will-O-Wisp, which can shut down common Rapid Spinners, such as Forretress and Excadrill. For more offensive teams, Gengar is an alternative, being able to destroy stall with its SubSplit set and the entry hazards Accelgor lays down. Looking at the Pokemon with the aforementioned abilities As for dealing with common Prankster and Magic Bounce Pokemon, Tyranitar is a good partner as it can switch in and threaten to OHKO them with STAB Stone Edge or Crunch, opening the way for free setups.</p>

[SET]
name: Ninja Sweeper
move 1: Bug Buzz
move 2: Focus Blast
move 3: Giga Drain
move 4: Hidden Power Ice / Recover
nature: Timid
item: Life Orb
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Accelgor's huge Speed and base 100 Special Attack allow it to be a viable special sweeper when equipped with a Life Orb. Bug Buzz is a powerful and reliable STAB attack that lets the ninja bug inflict huge damage on the many Psychic-type Pokemon in OU, such as Starmie, Latias, Latios, and Reuniclus. Focus Blast is crucial on this set to damage the Steel-types that would otherwise laugh at Accelgor. Giga Drain is a good move to hit bulky Ground- and Water-type Pokemon such as Hippowdon, Jellicent, and Vaporeon, and is also a good way to recover some of the health lost from entry hazards or Life Orb recoil. In the last slot, Hidden Power Ice gives Accelgor a weapon against Flying-, and more importantly, Dragon-type Pokemon.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>A Timid nature with the standard special sweeper EV spread lets Accelgor outspeed the majority of the metagame while maximizing the damage output of its attacks. Stealth Rock, Spikes, Sandstorm (all common in OU), and Life Orb damage can wear Accelgor down really fast, so you have to ensure OHKOs by weakening the opponents team to ensure that Accelgor can do its job properly, it's best to weaken the opponent's team first or carry a Rapid Spinner, allowing the ninja bug to switch in safely. Recover can be used in the last slot to help with this problem longevity problems, but one has to take into account two facts when using it: Accelgor will be walled by Flying- and Dragon-type Pokemon such as the genies, Dragonite, Salamence, and Garchomp; and, due to Accelgor's low defenses, some good prediction is required in order to use Recover, as most hits will do more than 50% damage.</p>

<p>As a special sweeper especially designed to clean up later on in the game, Accelgor doesn't need much by way of specific team support. However, as with every sweeper, it does enjoy entry hazards being on the opponent's side of the field. Tyranitar is an excellent choice to set up Stealth Rock as it, despite adding residual damage with Sand Stream, has great synergy with Accelgor, despite adding residual damage with Sand Stream, and can eliminate annoying Flying-types with STAB Stone Edge. To make sure the ninja bug switches in safely, Starmie is a good teammate because of its access to Rapid Spin and good offensive synergy.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Accelgor has some good options outside of the ones listed. Using With its astounding Speed, it can run a Final Gambit set, making it able to OHKO dangerous Pokemon to your team as long as they have lower HP than Accelgor. If the ninja bug is running this set, A Timid nature with an EV spread of 252 HP / 120 SpA / 136 Spe is optimal to go with a moveset of Final Gambit / Bug Buzz / Spikes / Recover.</p>

<p>Despite its frailty, with some team support, Accelgor can be used on a Baton Pass team as it has access to some wonderful boosting moves, such as Acid Armor and Agility, whilst also being able to pass Substitute. Encore is illegal with Spikes, but when used on the aforementioned a Baton Pass set, it can create an opportunity to gain some free boosts.</p>

<p>Toxic can be used to cripple some walls the ninja bug can't touch, but its subpar defenses mean that even those walls can inflict serious damage to it. Finally, Accelgor has access to Rain Dance; it is the second fastest user in OU and it can use Hydration to protect itself from status. Rest is useful for recovery should you choose to go the Hydration route.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Accelgor relies on its Speed to perform. Anything that can bypass its Speed has the potential to ruin the ninja bug. Strong unresisted priority moves will tear through its low defenses, so Scizor, Metagross, Azumarill, Toxicroak, and Machamp are all Pokemon that mean big trouble for Accelgor. Prankster Pokemon can also use their ability to move first and can use Taunt, Thunder Wave, or Encore to render Accelgor's efforts useless. Pokemon holding a Choice Scarf with good offenses can often outspeed and OHKO Accelgor; Hydreigon, Garchomp, Landorus, and Starmie are examples of such Pokemon. For the same reason, Pokemon with Chlorophyll, Swift Swim, or Sand Rush are also trouble for the ninja bug. Specially bulky Pokemon not weak to Accelgor's STAB attacks can often wall and cripple it. Chansey, Blissey, and Cofagrigus are the most prominent examples.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Accelgor gets Unburden as its Dream World ability, which doubles Unburden will double Accelgor's Speed when it consumes or loses an item. This ability shouldn't be used on the Spikes set as Accelgor will be crippled by Trick without Sticky Hold. However, if one chooses to use the ninja bug as a Baton Passer, then a set with a pinch Berry such as Petaya or Liechi can be used in conjunction with Acid Armor to get +1 Atk / SpA and +2 Def, while using the Speed boost from the ability Unburden to outspeed every Pokemon in the game and Baton Pass. Take into account though that this is a high-risk, high-reward strategy, as because to consume the berry, Accelgor has to be at 33% health or less, and with its low defenses, at that point it is easily finished.</p>

ok this is looking p good now

I know I'm pretty much a nobody on these forums, but I've been working on a set that I think could prove useful:

Timid Accelgor @ Life Orb
Ability: Sticky Hold
- Atk +Spd
252 HP EVs 252 Speed EVs
Power Swap
Guard Swap
Bug Buzz
U-Turn

Basically:

You send out Accelgor as a revenge killer on a pokemon with ridiculous SP. Atk or Atk that is attempting to sweep your team. If the pokemon is a physical attacker, you use Power Swap, pass it your crappy attack stat [thanks to timid] and then blast them with a U-turn, switching into a pokemon with a super-effective attack on the enemy's poke. If the pokemon is a special attack, you can simply send Accelgor out, use Power Swap, and Bug Buzz it up. Guard Swap is in there because Accelgors original defenses are terrible, and it would allow him to smash through walls. Life orb is there for more power, and because I couldn't for the life of me think of any other item to use. Sorry if I'm completely stepping out of line here...

I know I'm pretty much a nobody on these forums, but I've been working on a set that I think could prove useful:

Timid Accelgor @ Life Orb
- Atk +Spd
252 HP EVs 252 Speed EVs
Power Swap
Guard Swap
Bug Buzz
U-Turn

Basically:

You send out Accelgor as a revenge killer on a pokemon with ridiculous SP. Atk or Atk that is attempting to sweep your team. If the pokemon is a physical attacker, you use Power Swap, pass it your crappy attack stat [thanks to timid] and then blast them with a U-turn, switching into a pokemon with a super-effective attack on the enemy's poke. If the pokemon is a special attack, you can simply send Accelgor out, use Power Swap, and Bug Buzz it up. Guard Swap is in there because Accelgors original defenses are terrible, and it would allow him to smash through walls. Life orb is there for more power, and because I couldn't for the life of me think of any other item to use. Sorry if I'm completely stepping out of line here...
Hence the "Done" buddy :P

^Power Swap and Guard Swap only trades boosted or lowered stats, not the actual stats themselves, and that is why this set does not work.

However, Accelgor does get access to Guard Split, which averages the defenses of himself and his target, exactly the same way Pain Split does to HP.

Due to his lackluster bulk, this will cripple every wall and force it out, letting you get a layer of Spikes on the switch.

what abbout guard swap that would make up for his bad defence's and he is fast enough to use it efectivly. coments?

However, Accelgor does get access to Guard Split, which averages the defenses of himself and his target, exactly the same way Pain Split does to HP.

Due to his lackluster bulk, this will cripple every wall and force it out, letting you get a layer of Spikes on the switch.
This moveset seems to be illegal. The only possible parent that can learn Guard Split is Shuckle, and Shuckle can't learn Spikes.

Im quite suprised that no one really mention that many final gambit sets..., even more so that almost none of them use unburdon. Although Ihave not yst tested this one yet on PO I have high hopes in it and hope to use it in VGC

Super Scarf Killer
Unburden + Timid nature + toxic orb (in case you use flame orb on a gutser it also alows you to take less damage on the first turn but you'll suicide anyway)
252HP + 4SpA + 252Spe
Final Gambit
Bug Buzz
Acid Spray
Protect

The reason that ab unburdan set is so neccisary for it is that it needs that speed to out run some of the strongest scarfers, because a max speed chandalure will out run it with scarf as well as some other scarfers, dont bother with U-turn its pointless you waist your Unburden boost. The reasins for bug buzz are obvios you do want some attacking moves and acid spray helps scare those who try to set up if you dont want to suicide them lastly protect will be essential to scout and check if they switch out.

hope you enjoy this set and see you at the 2011 VGC because your going to see this thing in action

PS. dont get raped ;)

Im quite suprised that no one really mention that many final gambit sets..., even more so that almost none of them use unburdon. Although Ihave not yst tested this one yet on PO I have high hopes in it and hope to use it in VGC

Super Scarf Killer
Unburden + Timid nature + toxic orb (in case you use flame orb on a gutser it also alows you to take less damage on the first turn but you'll suicide anyway)
252HP + 4SpA + 252Spe
Final Gambit
Bug Buzz
Acid Spray
Protect

The reason that ab unburdan set is so neccisary for it is that it needs that speed to out run some of the strongest scarfers, because a max speed chandalure will out run it with scarf as well as some other scarfers, dont bother with U-turn its pointless you waist your Unburden boost. The reasins for bug buzz are obvios you do want some attacking moves and acid spray helps scare those who try to set up if you dont want to suicide them lastly protect will be essential to scout and check if they switch out.

hope you enjoy this set and see you at the 2011 VGC because your going to see this thing in action

PS. dont get raped ;)
Well, that's a pretty good set but I'd rather go with this one I've been playtesting:

[SET]
name: Uzumaki Naruto
move 1: Double Team
move 2: Swift
move 3: Frustration
move 4: Endure
nature: Brave
item: Smoke Ball
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk

I love this day xD

Sorry for the relatively mundane comment, but I found a few grammar errors.
Second paragraph - "This * coupled with Stealth Rock weakness due to its Bug typing and vulnerability to Spikes and Toxic Spikes, means that..." - I suspect there should have been a comma at the *; otherwise the comma currently in the sentence is unnecessary. Also, the last sentence of the analysis appears to me a run on sentence, or at least a little bit awkward - I would suggest, perhaps, replacing the ", because" with a semicolon. Finally, in the last sentence (4th to last word) there's a missing space between 'point' and 'it'.

Sorry for the relatively mundane comment, but I found a few grammar errors.
Second paragraph - "This * coupled with Stealth Rock weakness due to its Bug typing and vulnerability to Spikes and Toxic Spikes, means that..." - I suspect there should have been a comma at the *; otherwise the comma currently in the sentence is unnecessary.FIXED Also, the last sentence of the analysis appears to me a run on sentence, or at least a little bit awkward - I would suggest, perhaps, replacing the ", because" with a semicolon.I THINK THE SENTENCE IS FINE Finally, in the last sentence (4th to last word) there's a missing space between 'point' and 'it'.FIXED
Thanks!

I really thought that Final Gambit would have had a slash on the Spikes set, kind of like an Exploding Lead in Gen 4. Final Gambit allows Accelgor to get rid of Espeon/Xatu before they can set up screns, and so they don't trouble others such as Whimsicott or Ferrothorn.
I have used this set with success:

Move 1: Spikes
Move 2: Yawn
Move 3: U-Turn
Move 4: Final Gambit
Nature: Timid
Item: Focus Sash
EV's: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spd

Oh well, never mind, this set probably has a billion flaws I haven't seen or whatever.

I really thought that Final Gambit would have had a slash on the Spikes set, kind of like an Exploding Lead in Gen 4. Final Gambit allows Accelgor to get rid of Espeon/Xatu before they can set up screns, and so they don't trouble others such as Whimsicott or Ferrothorn.
I have used this set with success:

Move 1: Spikes
Move 2: Yawn
Move 3: U-Turn
Move 4: Final Gambit
Item: Focus Sash
EV's: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spd

Oh well, never mind, this set probably has a billion flaws I haven't seen or whatever.
The Final Gambit set is mentioned in OO. Besides, if you want to get rid of Espeon (by far the most common of those two), use Bug Buzz.

Actually I have set up an Accelgor using gaurd split and he has been quite killer at times.

Move 1: Gaurd Split
Move 2: Substitute
Move 3: Recover
Move 4: Bug Buzz / A different attack
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EV's: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spd

Though it can be tricky to use, the occasional Claydol or Umbreon has made it all worth it. The only problem is when he gets statused so having Hydration can be a trumendous help as long as you have a rain dance/drizzle on your team.

you guys seem to be selling his DW ability really short. you do realize the type gems work on unburden and can be activated in the opening turn of the game. if he is holding a bug gem and opens up with bug buzz all hell will break loose. just though i would mention that be good on a baton passer i think. Ps no one even made mention on final gambit why not. that could KO alot of threats with low base HP's

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Accelgor's frailty is a major factor when trying to consider the kinds of strategies you presented, Plausiblegrunt. Why would you use Unburden when you have a perfectly good Water immunity in Hydration and already have a nearly unbeatable Speed to go with? Accelgor also has substantially great output when using Life Orb, since Bug Gem is pretty useless outside of Unburden (which is currently illegal).

Also, the analysis has mentioned a set around Final Gambit in the Other Options, though, again, Accelgor's frailty and general purpose plays too much into this.

EDIT: Bug Gem can be used. Only Accelgor's Dream World ability is pretty much singled out of standard play. In other words, Unburden = illegal.

Accelgor's frailty is a major factor when trying to consider the kinds of strategies you presented, Plausiblegrunt. Why would you use Unburden when you have a perfectly good Water immunity in Hydration and already have a nearly unbeatable Speed to go with? Accelgor also has substantially great output when using Life Orb, since Bug Gem is pretty useless outside of Unburden (which is currently illegal).

Also, the analysis has mentioned a set around Final Gambit in the Other Options, though, again, Accelgor's frailty and general purpose plays too much into this.
had no idea gems were illegal my badness. im new to smogon i usually look on here for good moveset ideas and ev's etc. i had a brain fart and thought the unburden boost could be baton passed. and i see the final gambit movesets now my mistake :D.

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
had no idea gems were illegal my badness. im new to smogon i usually look on here for good moveset ideas and ev's etc. i had a brain fart and thought the unburden boost could be baton passed. and i see the final gambit movesets now my mistake :D.
the gems are not illegal, the ability unburden as of now is illegal until gamefreak releases the dw ability

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
isn't hydratiation just a status healer, as far as I know it doesn't give a water inmunity
Hm. You're right, I've somehow gotten this mixed with Storm Drain and Water Absorb. Silly of me.

Point is, Accelgor generally has better abilities to use rather than Unburden (Sticky Hold!), and I don't think we need to go further than this since this is Done.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)