1. Remember to check the Simple Questions/Simple Answers , Suggestions , Bug Reports and Technical Support threads before posting. If you have something that warrants extended discussion then post a thread, but when in doubt, please use an already existing thread
  2. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  3. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Achievements and Ladder Division on Showdown!

Discussion in 'Pokémon Showdown!' started by Pocket, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck i am woodchuck
    is a Smogon IRC AOPis a Forum Moderatoris a Battle Server Admin Alumnus

voice challenges are done j/s
  2. Shiruba

Shiruba

yeah, i was confused with that myself, but... eh, if they make a comeback eventually, i guess?
  3. Laga

Laga Drinking is borrowing happiness from tomorrow
    is a Tutoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor

This is a really cool idea, and it would most definately actually help serious ladderers. Treecko mentioned earlier that one might want to meet bad players on the ladder, thus recieving free points, BUT the ladder system works as a high risk / high reward system, as you gain way more points from beating a 1650 player than beating a 1150 player. Besides, it would probably make laddering a good deal more fun for good players, so they don't have to go through battling an eevee-lution on the Smogon Doubles ladder (something that happens way too often for me).

If this system would be implemented, I think the ladder quality would improve a great deal, except

for the fact that everyone starts off with 1007 ACRE. Would this mean that a fresh alt would only meet players with a bad rating, or would it mean that bad players with a fresh alt would meet anyone, thus making the new players / experienced players kind of hard to match up with opponents at their skill level, since you couldn't possibly know how skilled a 1007 player is. My question is, how would you match these players up on the ladder?
  4. Shiruba

Shiruba

^ Perhaps a fix could entail that the account is 'in limbo' for their first 10 games and thus they just fight whomever? Completely random until the 11th game, perhaps?
    Stallion likes this.
  5. Level 51

Level 51 [17:37:18] boTTT: (Private to @Level 51) ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator

The problem with that is that each battle has two sides, and the other side will then have to be in limbo (or equally low ranked). Wouldn't that reduce the number of battles one would get? Personally I don't really have qualms with fighting poor battlers, but I agree that well-made achievements (and ladder division, though to a lesser extent) would definitely help the ladder a lot.
  6. sugarhigh

sugarhigh

Is it sad that I technically have done all the achievements one way or another :X

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)