Acid Rain Stall

Hi everyone,

This is my first gen 5 team so be gentle :3
It's a rain dance team with a little twist, toxic spikes. I found toxic stalling to be a really effective strategy. I saw a guy on po called drugthug69 using a similar team a couple of months ago and since then I've been using this team, upgrading it constantly. Even though Delko tutored me good, I can't seem to hit the 1400 peak on the ladder. So that's why I decided to post an RMT, so perhaps you guys can help me :3
I hope you like it:

Politoed (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Protect
- Perish Song
- Ice Beam

Politoad is the obvious lead for this team to set up the needed rain. As you can see here, and obviously on most other team-members I utilize protect alot, which I found useful on various occasion, especially with toxic spikes on the field. Scald is useful and helps getting a burn on dangerous steel types like scizor and excadrill. I also use scald on a lot of pokes as well, it's just a solid move. with perish song I have a solution for last poke reunclus and the likes as well as dealing with rare baton pass teams. Ice Beam is for Dragons, and Grass/ Poison types trying to absorb Toxic Spikes.

Tentacruel (M) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 240 SDef / 16 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Toxic Spikes
- Venoshock

Tentacruel is the most important member of this team as it lays down toxic spikes, and acts as a rapid spinner. Also another poke I use scald on just because it's a very good move. What is different about this Tentacruel is the fact I use a full specially defensive set, because he also acts as my counter to volcarona and special virizion, that's also the reason I use beam. Tentacruel is used for a lot but with such investment in bulk, black sludge and raind dish, he's says healthy like it's nothing.

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers / Shed Skin
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Gyro Ball

Under rain ferrothorn is one though poke to take out. Ferrothorn acts as my mixed wall and the poke that lays down stealth rock, as well as taking electric moves aimed at my three water pokes. He becomes even more annoying with leech seed and protect as with toxic spikes up and iron barb the opponent will take a lot of residual damage. I choose for gyro ball instead of power whip as it's have better usage overal. I found myself in need of shed skin more often due to the rise of magnezone, and to a lesser extend it lets me fake a choice band. Yet again another poke that uses Protect :3

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 176 Def / 88 Spe
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Sword Dance
- Taunt
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang

Gliscor keeps the physical attackers in check. It also help me against Stall teams, with Taunt and Sword Dance. His weaknesses are well covered by the rest of the team and Jellicent's ability to spin-block isn't needed as much anyway, since spinners are rare these days. Gliscor is immune to status which help by taking on stuff like Breloom easier.

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Wish
- Toxic
- Protect
- Seismic Toss

Chansey us just an amazing poke, it's so damn bulky. With the rain up I don't miss leftovers recovery much making it a better choice then blissey. Chansey is my main wall for thunderus and other special attackers. Other then that chansey makes sure that my other pokes remain healthy, as politoad, ferrothorn and tentacrual have no recovery move. Toxic is for Levitators and Flyers who are immune to Toxic Spikes. Seismic Toss is used because unlike blissey, chansey has no offense whatsoever and it does solid damage. Chansey is yet another poke with protect to add to the stallish feel.

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Roost
- Substitute
- Dragon Pulse

I've seen this latias set alot recently but I know why, it's an amazing set. Latias is the closest thing I have to a sweeper and late game it's does so perfectly. I opted for a subroost set because I found that effective with toxic spikes on the field but lately I've been trying roar as well, so it can deal with reuniclus better. Dragon pulse hurts a lot when it's at +6, even steels. Latias is pretty bulky and as the glue of this team to cover the last possible threats.

Hi Ron

Like I mentioned on PO you are having a tough time dealing with strong physical attackers like Terrakion, Breloom or Scizor. Therefor I suggest replacing Latias with Gliscor. I've seen a Sub-Protect set once which could actually work on this team, although an SD variant with Taunt will also be effective. To bad that Heal Bell from Chansey could be annoying with his Poison Heal.

Anyway good luck with the team ^^

Hello there BLAAK.
I see you have a nice rain dance here but, as you may have imagined, there are some flaws and things to take care. Fore example, I see there's an extremely heavy Thundurus weakness, as the majority of your pokemon are weak to all of Thundurus' moves to some extent. Aside from that, there might be some minor changes to be done, but let's get to the important point...

Thundurus is an important pokemon in the current metagame and it's pretty ironic that the pokemon that most suits rain dance teams is also one of the biggest threats to them. Walling Thundurus can be a little tough sometimes. I see you have a Chansey which can sponge his fighting moves, but it might be insufficient.

I suggest you try to incorporate a Lanturn on your team, taking Jellicent out. This would be a good set to try:

Lanturn @ Leftovers
Evs: 252 HP / 252 Sp.Def / 4 Sp.Atk
Calm Nature (+Sp.Def, -Atk )
Ability: Volt Absorb

- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Volt Switch
- HydroPump

or you can actually try this other set out, which is fun to play:

Lanturn @ Leftovers
Evs: 252 HP / 252 Sp.Def / 4 Sp.Atk
Calm Nature (+Sp.Def, -Atk )
Ability: Volt Absorb

- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Yawn
- Protect

For the first set: Ice Beaam is there to two-hit KO Thundurus, while having HydroPump and VoltSwitch for coverage. As you can imagine, Toxic is to stall.

For the second set: Ice Beam is always there to hit Thundurus. You use Swagger to scare the pokemon your afraid of and stall with Toxic and Protect. It's actually a very useful strategy if played right.

Hope I could help some way (:

Good team BLAAK! The core is there but you just need to polish it up a bit and it'll work fine. The one thing that I don't like is Tentacruel + Jellicent. I think you'll find the combination largely redundant for obvious reasons, as both are used to stop basically the same things. The things that you rely on Jellicent to stop (like Excadrill or Landorus) aren't really as well handled as you might hope and because very few people actually use spinners in gen 5, and because if you see one in team preview you don't have to waste your time setting up hazards, I think you can get away with getting rid of him and replacing him with a sturdier check to all of the above. I think a Curse Quagsire would work better in that slot.

Quagsire @ Leftovers
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpDef, Impish
Curse | Recover | Yawn | Waterfall

Quagsire is a fantastic Pokemon and a great stop to Thundurus (who can also be somewhat troubling to the team, especially with HP Ice), Tyranitar, SD Scizor, BU Conkeldurr, BU Toxicroak (who you really have almost 0 chance of taking down and who soaks up your hazards- big threat) and sand sweepers like Excadrill and Landorus. Yawn is useful in last ditch scenarios to stop things, and Unaware just takes the wind out of the sails of a lot of Pokemon. Waterfall by itself is all the overage you need in the rain, and Quagsire has near flawless synergy with Ferrothorn as well (he stops most fighting types anyway).

I'll also address some small changes and opinions on your slash marks. I understand where you're coming from with Rain Dance on Politoed, but I really don't think its a good plan. That rain is only lasting 5 turns anyway, and isn't really enough to work with for your sake- all it does is aggravate your opponent. Tyranitar and Ninetales are both pretty unlikely to stay in on a Politoed anyway, so its a moot point as you can bring him back in later fairly easily. Toxic would actually be better for annoying Tyranitar and Ninetales in any case. Also, if you really want to stop Virizion, Venoshock would be much better and more powerful in general than Ice Beam, based off STAB and added base power from Poison. Everything that resists Poison can be nailed hard by a Scald in the rain.

That's all I got, very solid team. Good luck!

EDIT: Oh yeah and go for Roar on Latias in the last slot. While Substitute is good for toxic stalling, the main things walling CM latias are steel types anyways and Roar is useful to keep Reuniclus on its toes.

I think jellicent is completely unreasonable because with tentacruel, you already cover the weaknesses of ferro and more. so i would switch jelly for something like the quag above which i think would be amazing for your team.

Hi BLAAK, this is a very good rain stall team but a well-played Swords Dance Terrakion has the potential to outright beat you. It can grab a boost on a switch out from Ferrothorn, and then it OHKOs everything on your team with either Close Combat or Stone Edge. Your only way of outspeeding it is Latias, but you're going to need a couple of defense drops from CC in order to KO with Dragon Pulse, which means it's going to KO at least 2 Pokemon before you even have a shot at revenging it. As Smith mentioned, Tentacruel+Jellicent is rather redundant, so I recommend trying Gliscor over Jelli. Glis is an even better stall breaker, and while you lose your spinblocker, that is not so bad this gen due to the rarity of spinners.
@ Toxic Orb
Impish | Poison Heal | EVs: 244 HP / 176 Def / 88 Spe
Swords Dance | Taunt | Earthquake | Ice Fang

244 HP gives a Poison Heal number, 176 Def hits a bonus point, 88 Spe outruns most other Gliscor.

With this change I think your team looks quite solid, good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)