1. Post all suggestions for Pokemon Showdown in this thread. Do NOT post them in the Suggestion Box!
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  3. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

add some casual elements

Discussion in 'The Suggestion Box' started by RODAN, Jan 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RODAN

RODAN np: linkin park - faint
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributor

I was thinking that maybe the rest of the internet takes us as overly serious competitive mons players

so im proposing that we have casually written articles (read: glens factory thread) alongside the more well made ones
  2. tennisace

tennisace ium's avatar is his butt on my face
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
    Twitter Head

There is an in-game section, and the Battle Factory is in-game. So if people want to put in the work, we would definitely accept more in-game content for the site.
  3. Firestorm

Firestorm I did my best, I have no regrets!
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Battle Factory / Battle Subway / etc. are considered competitive =P If people write more articles they'll definitely go up. I think Rodan means the tone of the articles? Humour in articles should be done by people who can write well in that style. Shouldn't be forced though.
  4. tennisace

is a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
    Twitter Head

I mean yeah I guess we could? I see that as more of a Smog thing than actual guides on-site though.
  5. NixHex

NixHex what is béisbol
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderator

I was under the impression that The Smog features the more casual articles. If future non-Smog article authors want to inject humor into their articles, that's up to them. I love writing articles but i don't know the first thing about being funny. If I knew how to be funny, I'd for sure add some humor. You have a point, Rodan.
  6. Pwnemon

Pwnemon Switching is a metagame trend
    is a Tutoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor
    Doubles Co-Lead

I mean I sort of put a little humor in my RU Slowking analysis? And I agree that those things are sometimes too boring, but isn't that what the Smog is for? Humor in analyses is a pretty gray area I guess but the general idea is that it should never be the main purpose of the article and never be misleading/sarcastic.
  7. New World Order

New World Order Licks Toads
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Humor is already allowed in analyses, as long as you don't make a complete joke of it like using Choice Band Gengar or something, it'll be alright. I've personally have a ton of informals in my analyses.
  8. Eraddd

Eraddd One Pixel
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Humour is allowed as long as its in taste, doesn't detract from the analysis, and makes grammatical sense. Most of the times, writers who try to inject "humour" write it so that it detracts from the experience, or it doesn't grammatically or logically make sense. This is speaking from my personal experiences as a writer for C&C and as a member of the GP team.
  9. Omicron

Omicron
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

10. Swaggersaurus

Swaggersaurus I DON'T NEED A MAN
    is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

after reading that clamperl analysis i'm actually now in opposition to this...
  11. Glen

Glen
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

'pretend weak pokemon is strong' was almost funny six years ago

but either way i had a lot of fun writing that factory article, i'd gladly do something else like it
  12. RODAN

RODAN np: linkin park - faint
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributor

if its fun to read more people will read it - is my mindset, i dont mean make a complete joke but i mean like adding subtle humour throughout articles and analysis that will make you smile or giggle or whatever
  13. Pwnemon

Pwnemon Switching is a metagame trend
    is a Tutoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor
    Doubles Co-Lead

you mean humor like "His typing is a mixed bag for a physical wall. Compounding all these problems is the fact that Slowking is a special wall," "When Blastoise was moved to UU, the RU community all shed a single manly tear and searched for the best suitable replacement," "When he can, though, Slowking doesn't mind being a cool tank," or "If you cannot outspeed Slowking, you are virtually guaranteed to lose. Fortunately, he has 30 base Speed?"
  14. Unbreakable

Unbreakable

Swagger's example is a classic case of trying too hard. Stuff like Glen's Factory thread are not only informative and insightful, they are a blast to read. (Mainly because we can all relate to the torment he's suffered on one level or another, but the principle remains the same.) The "dry" language of academia does have its place, but Pokemon, like any game, is about having fun. If you're not having fun, you shouldn't be playing--simple as that.

However, Smogon strikes me as a place that intentionally leaves no room for casual players in its community in order to better accommodate the hardcore battlers that win tournaments and perpetuate Smogon's place at the top of the hierarchy of fansites out there (if there even is such a thing). Thus, discretion on whether or not to inject humor into an article rests with the author, which seems to be the default policy.
  15. tennisace

Twitter Head

This. If you want more humor in analyses, then write analyses with subtle humor in them. If you want more humorous articles, then take the initiative to write humorous articles.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)