1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

ads don't show up

Discussion in 'Inside Poop - April Fool's Day 2011' started by whistle, Feb 25, 2011.

1. whistle

whistle
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

does anyone else have this issue? when I'm using Firefox on my computer the ads never show up but whenever I'm using chrome or IE on a school computer, they are fine. this could be a big problem if none of the ads are targeting Firefox users since ads are the only revenue stream for us and there are lots of people who use Firefox...
  2. Firestorm

Firestorm I did my best, I have no regrets!
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Ads are fine here. You sure you don't have AdBlock installed?
  3. whistle

whistle
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

I hate when people read the thread title but not the OP.
    Firefox not AdBlock...
  4. Philip7086

Philip7086 Myuu
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis Smogon Frontier's Factory Headis a Past WCoP Winneris a SPL Winnerdefeated the Smogon Frontier

This actually makes some sense. I've noticed a slight drop in my paychecks recently and I was starting to wonder why. I would've never figured it out since I only use IE, so thanks for bringing this to our attention whistle. Is there any way we can force people to not use Firefox, or at least force our advertisements to show up on Firefox?
  5. Haunter

Haunter 100% avocado
    is an official Team Rateris a Battle Server Administratoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris an Administratoris a Tutor Alumnus
    Líder máximo

I have FireFox and I can still see advertising.
  6. Umbreon Dan

Umbreon Dan 〉λ=
    is a CAP Contributor Alumnus

we can't set a blanket ban on ad-blocking, that will just make our users realize it exists.

i have a different idea: blame anything that goes wrong with smogon on firefox. say the smog doesn't come out by its release date. it's because people are using firefox! pokemon online server crashed? blame firefox! windmill got knocked down? fuckin' firefox!

we need to instill a mentality of "ie good, firefox bad" into these sheep users to make them happily use internet explorer.
  7. little gk

little gk <Birkal> I will quit everything I do on smogon
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

I'm sure we could get Pokemon websites across the board to support this, I especially have confidence on Serebii trying to pull this through
  8. Heysup

Heysup Monsters are dangerous and kings are dying like flies.
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Smogon is a busness after all, and wile fixing the firefox would be ideal, we shuuld do what is more profitibitible and the expenses from fixing the ads would outway any revenues. Lets just promote IE and say fu firefox.

I mean, personly, i recenly switched from firefox and the only thin i miss is that useless spellchek.
  9. jrrrrrrr

jrrrrrrr wubwubwub
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

I don't see how ads missing is an issue, I would be happy if this happened to every site on the internet.
  10. Heysup

Heysup Monsters are dangerous and kings are dying like flies.
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

jrrr you can't just expect us to not make money off of a pokemon website that's fucking ridiculous

some of us who moderate for a living need the ad money.
  11. cookie

cookie Adominnustrata
    is a Super Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor
    Soc. Forums Leader

i only browse smogon for the ads
  12. az

az I DON'T NEED A MAN
    is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

then thankyou for lining my wallet

i swear this forum merge is the best thing we ever did, you should see my new car
  13. monkfish

monkfish what are birds?
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

tell me about it man im fighting off the bitches now that they know i'm running the central socialization forum of this site, nigga gettin PAID. we CANNOT afford to let these morons continue to block our revenue stream
  14. A$AP DARKY

A$AP DARKY mfw i see alison brie
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Smogon IRC AOPis a Super Moderatoris a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus
    Super Moderator

i wouldn't be moderating and devoting my whole life to a silly pokemon site if i didn't get some sort of collateral for my time.
  15. Bad Ass

Bad Ass bring me coffee or tea
    is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winneris a GS2 Winner

I suggest that we fix this. I don't see how it can take THAT MUCH money to fix. And besides, even with my badgeholder pay being minuscule compared to a moderator's pay, I've definitely noticed a decline. Last month I only got a check for $300, instead of the usual one badge pay of $350. When can we fix this? It's going to cut Smogon's annual income from $200,000 to at least $130,000. How do we expect to pay everyone their normal salaries without the income Firefox provides?
  16. Stallion

Stallion Joe Cool
    is a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

I'm guilty of using Firefox guys, because my IE Crashes and because of the amazingly useful spellcheck. Sorry, I won't in future! By the same token, has anyone considered ads for our pokemon online server? We could notify people of amazing new products and us Pokemon online moderators could finally get the paychecks that our more glamourous forum cousins are receiving!
  17. billymills

billymills
    is a Forum Moderator

Can't we bribe Firefox or something.

That usually solves these kind of things.
  18. Elevator Music

Elevator Music
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

I use firefox and they show up fine for me as well........

but if for some reason ads aren't showing up this is a problem. i really do need some extra cash this month

EDIT: just tiering contribs
  19. az

az I DON'T NEED A MAN
    is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

what's the current rate for suspect voter? or are you just earning off tiering contrib?
  20. DougJustDoug

DougJustDoug Knows the great enthusiasms
    is a member of the Site Staffis an Artistis a Programmeris a CAP Contributoris an Administratoris a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    CAP Leader

I only want to resort to bribes, if we can't find a technical solution to force our users to get all our ads. We paid way too much under the table to ensure Salamence got banned in that last 4th gen suspect test, and I'm not sure we got our money's worth in page views from enraged noobs posting in objection to it. Every time one person starts collecting a little something on the side, then everyone sticks their hand out to get their own piece of the action. At some point, it just gets to be bad business.

I'll check with the programmers and see if we can do a hack or virus to get things working in our favor. chaos, if you're reading this -- maybe we can do something along the lines of that hack we put in to swing ST9? Nobody was the wiser on that one, and I'm pretty sure everyone here was happy with the bonus checks distributed that year. Just a thought.
  21. Umbreon Dan

Umbreon Dan 〉λ=

i don't think we'd be able to get away with a bribe anyway

goddamn open-source :/
  22. DougJustDoug

DougJustDoug Knows the great enthusiasms
    is a member of the Site Staffis an Artistis a Programmeris a CAP Contributoris an Administratoris a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    CAP Leader

Damn, I forgot those Mozilla geeks are all into free software and all that bullshit. A bribe is never gonna work with them. I don't want to get into another situation like we did with Cathy on the Shoddy server. Speaking of private software, the Damage Virus, er, Damage Calculator is still raking in cash every day, and it doesn't even do 5th gen calcs yet! People are so stupid when they set up Paypal accounts. Just wait until you see the skim we get when the BW site goes live. God I love Smogon.
  23. Umbreon Dan

Umbreon Dan 〉λ=

by the way, is there any reason why we don't currently embed advertisements into pokemon online? it seems like a really fast, easy way to get some extra dough
  24. Fatecrashers

Fatecrashers acta est fabula
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but why isn't there corporate sponsorship for SPL or the World Cup of Pokemon?

The Pepsi Cola Tigers and The Doritos Raiders sound much better imo.

E: Also I still haven't received my payment for last issue's Smog art so...
  25. Stallion

Stallion Joe Cool
    is a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

Don't even think about taking the commision/pay rise for the idea mate, do you have any idea how poor us server moderators are compared to even a ladybug's salary? I need all the cash I can get - I got a family to feed you know!

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)