ADV OU Cores

+
+

This offensive core is the basis for most double trap teams. Essentially, magneton and dugtrio are able to trap and kill a number of snorlax's checks and counters including skarmory, celebi, tyranitar, metagross, jirachi and others. Generally you'll want to run shadow ball curselax with this core as this set is the one that benefits most from these counters being removed.

eren

je suis d'ailleurs

Forretress + Ttar SpikeStack
Forretress (M) @ Leftovers
Ability:
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Def
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Bug] / Explosion

Tyranitar (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 116 HP / 104 Atk / 32 Def / 104 Spd / 140 SAtk / 12 SDef
Naughty Nature (+Atk, -SDef)
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Pursuit
- Rock Slide

Standard Spike Stacking core. Forretress can set up Spikes and take hits from threats such as non Hp Fire Metagross as well as being able to take a Hp fire from Magneton and able to retaliate with an Earthquake. MixTar is the best partner for Forretress as it can effectively trap Gengar, Forretress's biggest issue when spinning. The spread for Ttar is Tamahome's and is very effective, being able to live even an Adamant Dugtrio's from full.

Late Game Sweeper Kingdra + Boom Gengar
Kingdra @ Leftovers
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 160 HP / 252 SpA / 96 Spe
Modest Nature
- Rain Dance
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Gengar @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 124 Atk / 200 SpA / 184 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Explosion
- Ice Punch
- Will-O-Wisp

analysis and spreads stolen from Smurf.
RD Kingdra can often take down 3-4 members of the opposing team after they have taken prior damage from the other members of the squad. It has awesome natural bulk, allowing it to face off vs other more popular late game mons like Aerodactyl and DDTar. An all too common scenario is that the opponent is forced to sacrifice their field mon in order to sacrifice Tyranitar merely to stop rain. With a hasty nature and some attack investment, Gengar can cripple dedicated special walls such as Blissey, Regice and Snorlax with explosion. This makes Kingdra's sweep a hell of a lot easier to pull off. Gengar's typing, great coverage and special attacking prowess also allows it to function as a nice partner to Kingdra.

My contribution before I rant.
Defensive core from my old team. Lurk more if you need to find it. Lurk deep.

Mixed Defensive Thick Fat Hariyama + Specially Defensive Zapdos (of sorts)
they are bulky, have a lot of customization potential with their moves, and resist a lot of types.

Last edited:
Capture.PNG
The MixTar crowd will even try to make it look like it performs well against Dugtrio.

Choice Band Dugtrio (Adamant Max Attack) Earthquake
vs.
Tyranitar [EVs: 116 HP / 104 Atk / 32 Def / 104 Spd / 140 SAtk / 12 SDef - Naughty Nature (+Atk, -SDef)]

346-408 (93.5 - 110.2%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

"Being able to live" - Ha.

Not even going to calc vs. Jolly Max Attack, heck it may have a slim chance or no chance at a OHKO on Tyranitar. That's not the point. I actually can't even defend the EVs by saying it will 100% survive Jolly Dugtrio. Because there's this:

Tyranitar [EVs: 116 HP / 104 Atk / 32 Def / 104 Spd / 140 SAtk / 12 SDef - Naughty Nature (+Atk, -SDef)] Hidden Power Grass vs. Dugtrio: 151-178 (71.2 - 83.9%)

Tyranitar can't dispose of the Dugtrio it's supposedly going to survive against in one hit!
Besides crit, it needs 2-3 layers of Spikes to even have a chance.

There needs to be a Gen 3 thread on what a proper Tyranitar should be doing. The MixTar set is so overhyped I can't stand it.

Last edited:

eren

je suis d'ailleurs
View attachment 53591 The MixTar crowd will even try to make it look like it performs well against Dugtrio.

Choice Band Dugtrio (Adamant Max Attack) Earthquake
vs.
Tyranitar [EVs: 116 HP / 104 Atk / 32 Def / 104 Spd / 140 SAtk / 12 SDef - Naughty Nature (+Atk, -SDef)]

346-408 (93.5 - 110.2%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

"Being able to live" - Ha.

Not even going to calc vs. Jolly Max Attack, heck it may have a slim chance or no chance at a OHKO on Tyranitar. That's not the point. I actually can't even defend the EVs by saying it will 100% survive Jolly Dugrtrio. Because there's this:

Tyranitar [EVs: 116 HP / 104 Atk / 32 Def / 104 Spd / 140 SAtk / 12 SDef - Naughty Nature (+Atk, -SDef)] Hidden Power Grass vs. Dugtrio: 151-178 (71.2 - 83.9%)

Tyranitar can't dispose of the Dugtrio it's supposedly going to survive against in one hit!
Besides crit, it needs 2-3 layers of Spikes to even have a chance.

There needs to be a Gen 3 thread on what a proper Tyranitar should be doing. The MixTar set is so overhyped I can't stand it.
Lol.
Tyranitar is in no way supposed to be a counter to dugtrio. In fact, your idealogy on that is quite skewed. Saying just because the Ttar cant OHKO a Dugtrio with a Hidden Power off below SpA makes a set overhyped is very incorrect. MixTar is one of the main reasons Tyranitar is as threatening and versatile as it is in the metagame. I mentioned it being having a chance to be able to live Dugtrio's EQ is because if you hard switch Duggyin on a Rock Slide, you have a chance to take EQ and knock it out. I know your response will be reserved to something like, "wow free switch jaja overhyped set". The only way Duggy comes in freely on ttar is if you get doubled on or you kill something. Wouldn't you already be in an advantageous position by that point? You knock out their Gengar with Pursuit and you get counter trapped. Gee, as if no well-built adv team doesnt have a solid EQ resist that can suck momentum from Dugtrio and just abuse it to hell and back, like Gyarados, Mence, or even BP Zap can set you back in the steering well of a game. It's completely ilogical to come here and say a standard core doesnt work well because a dugtrio can countertrap in two fairly linear situations. Absurd.

From Post #1
Capture.PNG

Only after burn or if it's not CB for Metagross:
Choice Band Metagross (Adamant Max Attack) Meteor Mash vs.
Gengar (EVs: 252 HP / 44 Def / 24 SpA / 188 Spe):

391-460 (120.6 - 141.9%)

Again I find an error in the way people justify specific EVs with explanations that are wrong or kind of irrelevant.

Last edited:
yeah that spread is supposed to allow you to survive +1 mence's hp fly, not a bad spread but the explanation is wrong. As a side note, why are we putting ev spreads in this thread? They tend to change from team to team.

Last edited:
How about a "balanced/offensive" core of:
Reflect + Explosion Metagross & DD Tyranitar,
so all worries are assuaged concerning Duggy and potential is not wasted on a poke as threatening as Tar.

I like contributing, I do. BTW Cowboy Dan you are a pretty good newcomer from what I can tell. Zoroark Forever too, but I think he's the type to use SkarmBliss a little too much. Ha.

I think people can figure out EVs for themselves, and not have to get sold on them. So far there has been something wrong with the justifications of most EV spreads anyway. So I would suggest doing as Cowboy Dan and I have. Just list pokes and the general idea of the core.

Last edited:
EdwardElric15 this Salamence matches with the Banner n_n

+

Metagross @ Leftovers
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 96 Spe
Ability: Clear Body
Adamant Nature
- Agility
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Explosion

Salamence @ Black Belt
EVs: 24 Atk / 232 SpA / 252 Spe
Ability: Intimidate
Rash Nature
- Hidden Power Grass
- Fire Blast
- Brick Break
- Dragon Claw

I've been messing around with this core recently, and it works well since MixMence lures all Metagross' counters and hits them for decent damage, they also have fantastic type synergy, Salamence is inmune to Ground and resists Fire, while Metagross resists Rock, Ice and Dragon (But the only users of dragon stab are the Latis and opposing MixMence), so they can switch into predicted moves, Mence handles bulkier builds while Metagross sweeps offense after an Agility Boost, the Idea of the Black Belt consists in bluffing a Choice Band Set so Swampert and Skarmory are attracted like moths to the light.

Lord Ninjax made an alternative EV spread at this thread.

Last edited:
I'm still new to ADV OU, but I'd like to contribute a core. Worst case scenario, you guys can call me out if I make a mistake.

+
+

Suicune with Calm Mind is a resilient win condition that can also provide utility as a check to sweepers such as DD Tyranitar and DD Salamence. Suicune's most effective answers are fellow Calm Mind users Celebi, Blissey, and Jirachi. All these checks are vulnerable to Spikes, so one may then set Spikes up with Skarmory and play a stall game to weaken them with each switch. Skarmory is susceptible to being trapped and 2HKO'd by Magneton, though. Dugtrio can then be used to trap Magneton in a double-switch to keep Skarm alive. Even if the opposing team lacks Magneton or Skarmory does end up dying to Magneton due to misprediction, Dugtrio may be used to trap any of the forementioned Suicune checks, enabling a Suicune sweep.

I think this core is not really original, but should be in the thread for players new to the generation.

EDIT: I just realized Spikes is not really that effective of an answer to Celebi, Blissey or Jirachi since they all have access to instant recovery. The core still holds, though, but it must be played differently. The goal would be to set up Spikes to weaken the Calm Minders to recover and use the turn they spend recovering to switch in Dugtrio for the kill. This accomplishes the goal of trapping Suicune's counters while circumventing Dugtrio's frailty. The most effective way to protect Skarmory still seems to be to Whirlwind early to scout for a Magneton switch in and later use a double switch with first Skarm and then Dugtrio if the latter remains unrevealed. Mindgames start coming into play otherwise.

Last edited:
Gonna drop a neat core I've been using with a bunch of success: The Dogsquad

CM+Roar Suicune+SubCM Raikou
This is kind of my take on an old core used to a ton of success by players such as the legendary Mariano Dragon, the conjunction of Suicune and Raikou to pull off a sweep. I've never been a fan of CroCune as residual damage tends to mess with it while it's so damn passive......the new ResTalk mechanics suck too. CM+Roar Offensive Cune, on the other hand, is a beast that plays surprisingly similarly to the Offensive Starmie that everyone's raving about (in casually switching in and blasting away full force), with the ability to boost up as well. SubCM Raikou, backs this thing up by using its own bulk to waltz in on some of Suicune's checks such as Zapdos and threaten those, making an extremely lethal pair. The kicker though is the set combination: CMRoar sets up a +6 on Calm Mind Blissey, before using Roar to negate Blissey's boosts and allow you to sweep: this also bypasses other CMers like Celebi, Jirachi and opposing CroCune. Raikou, on the other hand, uses a Sub to block bulky Blissey's status and set up its Calm Minds before TBolt hammering it into the ground, meaning that theoretically the core beats Blissey on its own :)

It's not perfect though, as physical offense usually tends to mess it up: Tyranitar's sand compromises their Leftovers, while Snorlax and Metagross can absorb their hits and threaten to blow them up: Aero also threatens to punch through them in the lategame. Jolteon is a pain as it outruns both and threatens to roar them out or wear them down with Toxic+attacks (it's not coming in on Cune though). Dugtrio stops Raikou straight up and can also pick off Suicune if it's weakened. Spikes also really suck for both mons though Skarm doesn't set up on either of them (if it tries then it dies). Lastly if you're running HP Grass Kou (which is inferior to HP Ice in this core but w/e), Bulky Celebi walls you while CB Flygon becomes really hard to handle. Good partners to handle the majority of these include Metagross, Wish Jirachi, and Dugtrio (which also tend to hammer Bliss which you should still pack a back-up plan for). Snorlax handles opposing special walls (Blissey, Snorlax, Regice which can be a pain) while luring Metagross, Tyranitar, Skarmory and even opposing Snorlax (assuming you have EQ/Boom along with Curse), and sponges against CMers that set-up (as neither dog should be switching in on them). Ludicolo is a good check to Blissey as well as Metagross and removes TTar's sand with Rain Dance, while also helping them recover health with Leech Seed. Flygon provides a Rock resist, eats Celebi and dissuades opposing Flygon/Dugtrio from locking into EQ. Porygon2 covers Raikou against Dugtrio while also warding off Salamence, Flygon and Aerodactyl for Cune. Anything can work so long as you make sure it supports the core (which can technically beat all the stuff mentioned in the right scenario).

Here's a list of all the partners I've used so you don't have to sift through my rambling (though do read it so you understand the rationale):
Jolly CB Flygon
Adamant Dugtrio
Bulky Ludicolo
WishCM/Wish+BSlam Jirachi
CB/Offensive Metagross
Curse+Boom Snorlax
Explosion Gengar
Bulky Porygon2
CB Tyranitar

And here's the Threatlist:
Special Walls: Blissey/Snorlax/Regice/Metagross
Aerodactyl/Jolteon w Spikes
Dugtrio
Bulky Celebi: Even with Ice moves on both mons this can be hard to handle, pack something to remove it or you'll be sorry.
Physical Offense/Offensive TSS Teams

Sets:
Suicune @ Leftovers
EVs: Pretty variable: Run 200+ SpA for the damage output, plus some speed to creep on TTar, Meta, Mag, Pert etc., with the rest in HP for pivoting+bulk
Modest Nature (Timid works if you want to outrun some things like Hera and AdaMence but it's an inferior option overall, especially seeing as how if they're running Max speed then your investment's worthless)
-Hydro Pump
-Ice Beam
-Roar
-Calm Mind

Raikou @ Leftovers
EVs: 208 HP / 80 SpA / 44 SpD / 176 Spd - Does a bunch of fun things like ensure you can take a Pert EQ from full, meaning you can set up on it if you'd like. The SpDef means Zapdos and Gengar can't break your Substitute making both of them free set-up, speed outruns Adamant Dugtrio as well as +Spd base 100s and most Gengar (mainly the status variants as offensive variants are doing jack to you while running scared from TBolt).
Timid Nature
-Thunderbolt
-Hidden Power Ice (Removed HP Grass as you should have a partner that can scare Pert out, while Bulky Celebi is a lot harder to handle, especially the Reflect variants)
-Substitute
-Calm Mind

Last edited:

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
although I'm still sort of new to ADV OU, I thought I might as well post a core that I've been using:

+

SubPass Jolteon + Choice Band Medicham

This is a pretty cool core that I've been using on a team based around Choice Band Medicham, who literally can 2HKO or OHKO everything with the right move. Sadly, Medicham struggles a lot against faster teams due to it's mediocre base 80 Speed and crappy bulk. This is where Jolteon comes in, having a great matchup against offense due to it's speedy 130 Speed and good 110 Special Attack combined with a spammable STAB move and a Hidden Power to hit the targets you please. The really good thing about Jolteon, though, is that he can set up a Substitute on a predicted switch into a special wall like Snorlax or Blissey and Baton Pass it to Medicham, giving Cham a good safety net in order to bash the opponent's skull in. Medicham also has a good matchup against the special walls that I mentioned due to it's Fighting STAB moves. Good partners for this core include sweepers that can take advantage of Medicham's wallbreaking, like Dragon Dance Tyranitar, Rain Dance Kingdra, and Swords Dance Heracross. They also benefit from Jolteon's SubPassing. If you're going for a more bulky sort of offense, stuff like Suicune and Celebi can also work with the core, as they can also sweep the opposing team after Medicham's wallbreaking. Overall, this is a really cool offensive core and I hope you like it!

Jolteon @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Grass] / Hidden Power [Ice]
- Substitute
- Baton Pass

Medicham @ Choice Band
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brick Break
- Shadow Ball
- Rock Slide
- Focus Punch

Last edited:

Tyranitar (M) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 176 HP / 252 SpA / 80 Spe
Modest Nature
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]

+

Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Explosion

Something cool I've been using recently on balanced teams that can't afford to get Spikes stacked on their side, this particular EV TTar set helps me get rid of Gengar so that I can safely spin with Forretress and keep hazards down on my side of the field. Special Tar is actually pretty cool in spite of the fact that it gets hard walled by Blissey, because of the fact that with a fully special moveset it actually manages to severely cripple most of Tyranitar's initial switchins really badlly, possibly opening the field for a late game sweep by something like Metagross or Salamence(I personally use DD Mence on this team); DD Mence is wonderful on this squad cause of Spikes+ Gengar being eliminated(which helps because Gengar is often EV'd to survive +1 HP:Flying from Salamence), Mence also stops this core from being Dug/Mag/Cross bait :).

Last edited:

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life

Tyranitar (M) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 176 HP / 252 SpA / 80 Spe
Mild Nature
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]

+

Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Explosion

Something cool I've been using recently on balanced teams that can't afford to get Spikes stacked on their side, this particular EV TTar set helps me get rid of Gengar so that I can safely spin with Forretress and keep hazards down on my side of the field. Special Tar is actually pretty cool in spite of the fact that it gets hard walled by Blissey, because of the fact that with a fully special moveset it actually manages to severely cripple most of Tyranitar's initial switchins really badlly, possibly opening the field for a late game sweep by something like Metagross or Salamence(I personally use DD Mence on this team); DD Mence is wonderful on this squad cause of Spikes+ Gengar being eliminated(which helps because Gengar is often EV'd to survive +1 HP:Flying from Salamence), Mence also stops this core from being Dug/Mag/Cross bait :).
Just saying, Mild Nature isn't needed on your Tyranitar set as there are no physical attacks on it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)