1. Please refer to this thread for the Pokémon X/Y OU banlist.
  2. Please refer to this thread for the current Smogon Tier Lists.
  3. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Pokémon Aegislash

Discussion in 'OverUsed' started by ArkWelder, Oct 13, 2013.

1. flyquaza

flyquaza

Made a perfect one ingame (everything +31 except speed at 2) and I am running weakness policy.

My current set:

Aegislash@Weakness Policy
    Nature: Brave
    Ev's: 252 hp/176 attack/76 special attack/6 Special Defense
    Iv's: 31/31/31/31/31/2
    ~ Sacred Sword
    ~ Iron Head
    ~ Shadow Ball
    ~ King's Shield

Reason why I chose this set is mostly because it's pretty tanky already with the HP investment, so you can pretty much force a switch and deal damage based on that. The special attack investment is to 2hko Gliscor and Landorus-T without exception if my calculations are correct. King's shield pretty much for choicer's or just for general switching. Attack investment to OHKO/2hko most other treats. 6 special defense for the possible porygon and genesect (download), even though you can't do alot to genesect with a +2 sacred sword if i'm not mistaken. Special Genesect 2/3hko's this set after SR and you in turn probably will 2hko him.

Late game this thing can be a beast but with support (healing wish, wish etc) this can be a true pain in the butt for the opposing team. I might try a more defensive version if I have enough reset bags, but the battles that I had with this went different then with the Sword dance set, which pretty much failed since you lost too much HP to sweep decently and it made king's shield to predictable.
  2. Mircea

Mircea

Personally, I think Aegislash would be a great hit & run type. Kind of like sword fighting with shields.

It's kinda like what was previously said, but more so explaining for anyone (namely visitors on this page) who didn't grasp (which I thought was pretty obvious) the aforementioned set. I had to explain it to a rl buddy of mine, and I figured why not.

Since his stats switch with forms and his primary form is shield, put 252s in both defenses, and 4 in hp. Relaxed is the best nature to go. Speed is what you don't want in this set.

-Aegislash-
    Stance Change

Relaxed Nature
    +252 def
    252 s. def
    4 hp
    @ life orb OR leftovers

King's shield
    Sacred sword
    Swords Dance
    Iron Head/Shadow Claw

**Note: Shadow Sneak will leave you exposed, and I don't recommend using it with this set. **

Start off with a swords dance. You'll prolly take whatever hit is thrown at you in Shield form. Mine has survived some earthquakes even. If you're not hit, you'll still get the buff, unless you get roared or dragon tailed.

Since you'll be slow, it's a high chance your opponent will go first. Ergo, you'll still be in shield form, ready to take the hit. You get hit, then you attack in sword form, with a swords dance boost. With the stance change, Def stat becomes Atk stat, and SpDef becomes SpAtk. If the above stats are correct, 150 base is pretty good, especially with swords dance.

Anywho. You attack 2nd, and if you have life orb, you may 1 hit your opponent, depending on the foe. If not, use your King's Shield. Even though you're slower, you have the priority move, so you'll go first and if the foe makes contact, their Atk harshly drops.

With this pattern, you can repeat it, almost always ensuring your opponent will hit you only in shield form. Especially since the form change happens on your turn, as you're attacking. Sucker Punch will still be waiting, but it won't be as bad.

If moves like Bide and Payback are available, they could be incorporated into this strategy very well.

Edit: Honedge can learn payback via TM. Don't know about bide yet.
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  3. TheTtarManCan

TheTtarManCan

I find myself running shadow claw more than shadow sneak simply because I would rather tank the hit in shield form and attack after than risk the opponent surviving and taking out Aigeslash. I realize that the main reason to run shadow sneak is so Aige can take on Mega Gengar. I believe you would be better off simply having another counter to MegaGar. Aige loses a lot when he opts for ss over sc. Whenever I hear others talking about how they beat Aige, they always seem to mention that it was because they could tank ss. I like to see Aige as more of a defensive tank that just so happens to be able to kill things rather than a ho sweeper.
  4. Mozilla Fennekin

Mozilla Fennekin

Iron Head isn't really necessary for him. Fairies can't hit him hard as far as I'm concerned and take neutral damage from Shadow Sneak while Sacred Sword is SE against Rocks anyway. Sword's Dance is so much better and makes him a HUGE threat.

I totally agree with your suggestion on Weakness Policy, though. I've been running it successfully; he can take a lot when he's in Shield Forme. Huge offensive threats like Garchomp can still OHKO him while boosted, though, and WoW is always an issue if you're not running a surprise Special set.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2013
  5. BlackSIlk90

BlackSIlk90

I'm still tweaking the Dracoslash core for my planned rain team, so far I find that bulky Aegislash is much more useful.

Galvantula@Focus Sash
    Unnerve:TImid
    252 Sp.Atk 252 Speed 6 Hp
    - Volt Switch
    - Sticky Web
    - Thunder Wave
    - Energy Ball

The main attraction, I prefer Unnerve so Custap leads can't get the 2nd layer of hazards up, or have Lum users cure themselves of paralysis. Debating on using Thunder b/c Compound Eyes Thunder is always sexy.

Aegislash@Leftovers
    Quiet/Brave:Stance Change
    252 HP, Need help with defensive investment
    - Iron Head/Gyro Ball
    Right now my biggest concern. 112 speed vs many of the fairies whom Aegislash will be checking would not be max damage as most are not very fast to begin with. Iron Head may be the better trade-off. Thoughts?

- Hidden Power Ice
    - Shadow Ball
    - King's Shield

No need for offensive EV investment as Aegislash isn't meant to sweep, but rather to black fighting attacks for Kyurem-B and serve as a sort of pivot. 305/335 Is still a respectable atk/Sp.Atk stat and HP main purpose is to score 4x SE hits. Shadow Ball is for the Sp.Def drop and to hit Skarm's weaker stat.

P.S. Saw some ideas for weakness policy, while it would decrease the longevity or this set, what could be some other uses for it?

Kyurem-B@Life Orb
    Lonely:Teravolt
    80 Attack 196 Sp.Atk 236 Speed
    - Ice Beam/Freeze Dry

B/c Of Ice Beam's BP drop and Freeze Dry's ability to score 4x CH on Bulky waters such as Quagsire. If they are compatible then Freeze Dry will replace Ice Beam.

-Outrage
    -Fusion Bolt
    -Substitute

I know you are thinking, Outrage? Seriously. Kyurem doesn't come out until the fairies and steels have been sufficiently weakened, and/or faster threats have been neutralized (i.e Scizor and Breloom.) From the relatively safety of my Sub I can fire off powerful Outrages at my discretion. Galvantula's Sticky Web support is the crux of this pivot. The rest of the team is Bulky Politoed, Kabutops as my spinner, and SubSalac Keldeo
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  6. alexwolf

alexwolf King of Conquerors
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

Yeah this set is too gimmicky and doesn't work. You can't rely on King's Shield or attacking moves to change formes when they are chosen randomly via Sleep Talk, so

Shadow Claw is the better move to use on a set with both Autotomize and Swords Dance. You can still set up both moves with your excellent bulk and then clean up teams without a Choice Scarf Pokemon, but you have a lot more power after a single SD than with Shadow Sneak. Actually, a +2 Shadow Claw is stronger even than a +4 Shadow Sneak and you don't even have to take a hit from anything that doesn't have a Choice Scarf and can be OHKOed if you managed to get both an SD and an Autotomize boost.
  7. DoppleGengar

DoppleGengar

Attack Set
    This guy is literally DESIGNED to use swords dance, if you don't have the move in your moveset, then what's the point in using him? By the way if this guy doesn't get into OU I will figuratively sh*t myself.
    Aegislash @ Life Orb/Shell Bell
    Trait: Stance Change
    EV's: 252 Atk/128 Def/128 SpDef
    Nature: Adamant
    -Swords Dance
    -King's Shield
    -Sacred Sword
    -Shadow Sneak

8. Kalut123

Kalut123

Air Balloon is a great choice. Most Scarfers such as Garchomp and Lando-T are usually going to spam EQ, so just by having a safe switch which gives you at least one free turn is amazing. Better yet, the Balloon is going to save you more turns as those same Scarfers have to waste a sub-optimal covergae move in order to break it.

Lefties doesn't matter TOO much imo compared to free immunity to its biggest weakness/ Not saying you shouldn't run Leftovers, but no doubt you'll be forcing switches with Balloon. It's too bad that Steel lost its resistances to Ghost and Dark or else Air Balloon Aegislash would have been a pretty frightening poke to deal with.
  9. ExEmegadeth

ExEmegadeth

I'd say balloon is a very viable item. A large amount of EQ users can OHKO Aegi, even in shield form. Running balloon allows it to not fear it's common checks. It's definitely a viable item.
  10. Xiammes

Xiammes

Air Balloon is great in ubers, where Aegislash can't rely on its bulk and set up, everything hits to hard. Being immune to spike/stickyweb is also a nice bonus.
  11. Shurtugal

Shurtugal The Enterpriser.
    is a Pre-Contributor

To be honest, the main item for Aegislash should be Weakness Policy -- it lives Adamant Crunch from Tyranitar (non mega), lives EQ from Jolly Excadrill, and a whole other bunch of SE moves I can't really remember off the top of my head.

I don't see the point in using a Specially-oriented Aegislash (unless you lure and beat its counters like Talonflame or Excadril or Landorus-T or Diggersby, which I don't see how it'd ever be possible since you'd never outspeed them) nor do I see the need of a SleepTalk set (Spore got this HUGE nerf, so why would it ever be sleeping? Are you using Rest? Why would that ever be worth it? To use Rest and Sleep Talk would be to forgo two of its already amazing moves, since K. Shield and SD combined with S. Sword and S. Sneak are all you'll ever need with Aegi).

Aegislash pairs well with Landorus-T or Rotom-W since they can generally defeat Talonflame or Excadrill or anything else that usually threatens Aegislash (like +1 MegaTTar's Crunch). It's important to note that Aegi can usually set up against Fairy types rather easily, and can be used alongside things like Lucario or Dragonite who can't really beat Fairy types alone.

*Also, never use Brave nature since you're better off outspending other Aegislash with Adamant.
  12. MapleSandwich

MapleSandwich

I'm trying to use Autotomize Aegislash on my team, and I'm finding it really hard to justify Modest over Rash or something. I'm finding a few OHKOs and 2HKOs that just don't happen with an attack- nature. Examples include Eviolite Chansey, bulky Excadrill, and Hydregion coming up short with one or two hit KOs a considerable percentage of the time, whereas running Rash pushes them into comfortably guaranteed range.

I was going to check Quiet, but then it turns out that Rash Autotomize Aegislash can outspeed the standard 20 speed Excadrill and mess it up with Sacred Sword 50% of the time. Granted, that set probably won't see OU usage if Excadrill does drop down, but running Speed- nature on something in such a potentially critical speed bracket seems wasteful to me considering Autotomize Aegislash probably doesn't want to be sponging too many special hits anyways as opposed to potentially outrunning pokemon in the 196 to 217 speed bracket, especially given how powerful Aegislash is as a pivot.

I also considered Mild since Aegislash is immune to two common priority moves, but Earthquake will probably be the most common attacking move Aegislash is faced with, and the threshold for surviving some of the weaker Earthquakes is already pretty tenuous on a no-defense set, so I ultimately decided to consider Rash the best choice. Were there any thoughts on this? I know the original creator of the Autotomize set has been pretty vocal in this thread.
  13. UltiMario

UltiMario

Go check out the current autoto in the aegi analysis (on phone so no copy/paste lol) its way better in the current meta without like lando and stuff around, uses Rash.

Even in Pokebank though its not exactly a big tradeoff. You die to fire blasts and never get to set up or you hit a bit weaker with sacred sword. Without HP investment your so much more vulnerable to dying to random hits (think like how much more frail custap skarm is over normal skarm) so I felt like set up opportunities were worth more than damage, especially since there really weren't notable calcs you got from rash. Do you really not 2HKO Chansey though? Eviolite is bonkers.
  14. Toxzn

Toxzn

At the moment, I'm seriously thinking choice band is better, people of any level of skill/knowledge are not gonna let you set up. Choice band has better coverage and hits harder off the bat, its a great revenge killer and devastates most switch ins.

Aegislash @ Choice Band
    Trait: Stance Change
    EV's: 252 Atk/172hp/84 Spe
    Nature: Adamant
    -Pursuit/Sacred Sword
    -Shadow Claw
    -Iron Head
    -Shadow Sneak

Try it.
  15. Pyronide

Pyronide

So I have just started to train one of these things and don't fully understand IVs yet. I recently got back into the whole online side of pokemon which i still dont fully understand, but what i am planning on running is:

Aegislash Leftovers
    Stance Change
    252 hp / 200 def / 56 atk
    Nature = Brave

King's Shield
    Shadow Sneak
    Sword Dance
    Sacred Sword

Any input would be great
  16. Silver Scrapes

Silver Scrapes

Aegislash's current playstyle that most people try atm is having Aegi schizophrenically switching formes constantly and spamming King's Shield to try to take hits. The only time I've ever had a problem with him is when my opponent plays his Aegislash more aggresively. King's shield is so easy to play around though.

He does need some defensive investment, though. LO Exca OHKOs him with 252/0 defenses using EQ.
  17. MasterRyuga

MasterRyuga

My current set for Aegislash is an automotize variant
    Aegislsh leftovers/weakness policy
    252 Hp / 240 Def / 16 Spd
    Jolly/Naive

Sacred Sword
    Iron Head
    Shadow Ball/ Hp Ice/Kings Shield
    Automotize

Depending on which move you prefer determines your item if your using Kings Shield your choosing leftovers any attack your running weakness policy but with the giving ev spread you outspeed base 110 pokemon after one boost.
    With an amazing 150 base Atk /Sp Atk i feel like it has all the firepower already but it has poor Hp,speed on this set however makes use of its ability to tank a hit depending on if your using kings shield or not and cleanup. other ev spread can be used if you want more speed 252 Hp 160 Def /96 Spd to hit a speed tier a little past base 130 pokemon after 1 boost.
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  18. alexwolf

alexwolf King of Conquerors
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

The Choice Band set really needs Head Smash otherwise it is really easy to wall. With Head Smash you have what is essentially a 100 BP STAB move with which you can 2HKO stuff such as physically defensive Skarmory, as long as you use enough Speed to outrun it.

But i really don't see the point in Choice Band Aegislash over mixed Spooky Plate Aegislash, other than a 40% stronger Shadow Sneak. Shadow Ball is Aegislash's best weapon and its most spamable move and not taking advantage of it is a waste, especially on sets that want to be called wallbreakers. Shadow Ball + Shadow Sneak or two Shadow Ball 2HKO most of the common switch-ins to Aegislash, such as Ground- and Fire-types, while Iron Head and Scared Sword take care of any special wall or tank (Tyranitar, Goodra, Chansey, Blissey, Sylveon, Togekiss, Florges). Not only this, but with the Spooky Plate you have a better wallbreaker that doesn't need to lock itself in one move or rely into a 80% accurate move with recoil. I would never use Choice Band Aegislash unless my team had huge trouble against Foul Play Mandibuzz.
  19. farranpoison

farranpoison

So now that I've had my fun with MMawile and am making a team around MKangaskhan, do you guys think that Aegislash is a good partner? It counters a lot of Fighting Types aimed at Mkangaskhan, and also it seems like Air Balloon would be a great item for it. Would a Brave Nature work with a moveset of King's Shield, Swords Dance, Sacred Sword and Shadow Claw? Or would it be better to use Shadow Sneak? I'm kinda betting that Shadow Claw is better, but I'm not too sure, especially for an Air Balloon Aegislash.
  20. Legitimate Username

Legitimate Username GOTTA GO SPRITE MEGA METAGROSS
    is an Artistis a Tiering Contributor

Shadow Sneak is a better choice than Shadow Claw, as while Aegislash is bulky in Shield forme, it can't tank hits forever. Boosted priority lets it pick off threats after boosting with Swords Dance, and puts a lot less reliance on constantly using King's Shield, making it less predictable.
  21. Mozilla Fennekin

Mozilla Fennekin

A Special set like Autotomize/Flash Cannon/Shadow Ball/King's Shield (with the possibility of an HP being slapped on somewhere) could be viable, he wouldn't worry so much about Will-o-Wisp and it certainly has the element of surprise. The sad part is that the moves I mentioned including Hidden Power are his only special moves, along with Round and Hyper Beam, so it's no surpsrise that few care about his 150 SpAtk. :(
    And the fact that he's on probably 1 in every 3 teams should give him a comfortable place in OU, so fret not. He might even be both OU and Uber if he's lucky.
  22. Thorhammer

Thorhammer

Automize can be plenty effective, but there's absolutely no point in using King's Shield with it. Go with UltiMario's set with Automize / Shadow Ball / Sacred Sword / Hidden Power Ice.
  23. Imanalt

Imanalt WHY BUNNELBY DO HAVE FUR?
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

i would really suggest running head smash > shadow claw. Although it will kill you extremely quickly, it will allow you to play both as a revenge killer with shadow sneak and as a wallbreaker, as you 2hko things like skarmory and landorus-t (when thats out). On the whole though ive been extremely happy with cb aegislash
  24. N7 Grimstar

N7 Grimstar

Taunt Gliscor counters the usual Aegislash set so hard. Resists Sacred Sword, Shadow Sneak does next to nothing... and not being able to switch back to defense = EQ to the face.
  25. JustLetMePlay

JustLetMePlay

Honestly, this is probably Aegislash's best set. The King's shield sets are way too easily played around (though Air balloon makes them a tad trickier), getting shutdown by Will-o-wisp, earthquake spam, intimidate etc. does not make a great team slot.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 9)