Pokémon Aegislash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I've been reading these pages, but I am still a tad confused, what is the ideal Item / EV Spread for an Aegislash running King's Shield / Sacred Sword / Shadow Ball / Iron Head?
That isn't a standard set so I don't think you'll find a consensus. Mixed Aegislash needs Shadow Sneak (i.e, 4 attacks no King's Shield) to be effective IMO and the best spread for such a set would be 252 Atk/SpAtk with a Brave or Quiet nature. If you really want King's Shield I'd drop Iron Head rather than Shadow Sneak and keep the same EV spread, you already get perfect neutral coverage with Ghost/Fighting anyway. I think the recommended item for this set is Spooky Plate since the combo of Shadow Ball + Shadow Sneak is how you'll be 2HKOing most pokemon. I guess Life Orb or Leftovers would be viable but Spooky Plate is the best compromise.

Although to be honest, King's Shield sets are better off not going mixed in my opinion so they can invest 252 HP. King's Shield implies you want to take hits and you need HP investment to do that effectively.

That isn't a standard set so I don't think you'll find a consensus. Mixed Aegislash needs Shadow Sneak (i.e, 4 attacks no King's Shield) to be effective IMO and the best spread for such a set would be 252 Atk/SpAtk with a Brave or Quiet nature. If you really want King's Shield I'd drop Iron Head rather than Shadow Sneak and keep the same EV spread, you already get perfect neutral coverage with Ghost/Fighting anyway. I think the recommended item for this set is Spooky Plate since the combo of Shadow Ball + Shadow Sneak is how you'll be 2HKOing most pokemon. I guess Life Orb or Leftovers would be viable but Spooky Plate is the best compromise.

Although to be honest, King's Shield sets are better off not going mixed in my opinion so they can invest 252 HP. King's Shield implies you want to take hits and you need HP investment to do that effectively.
Actually, that is a standard set. It's the top moveset of the current analysis.

Tank
########
name: Tank
move 1: Shadow Ball
move 2: Sacred Sword
move 3: Shadow Sneak / Iron Head
move 4: King's Shield
ability: Stance Change
item: Leftovers
nature: Quiet
evs: 240 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 12 Spe
As stated in the analysis, the 4 SpD EVs are to prevent Genesect from getting a SpA boost from Download, and the 12 Spe EVs are to prevent Sassy Tyranitar from out speeding you (since you can KO with Sacred Sword anyways).

Hope that helps.

Shadow Sneak is the standard in the top analysis you mention, not Iron Head. I think it's more useful to run no speed EVs (possibly even no IVs) so you can out-slow other Aegislash rather than to outrun one specific variant of Tyranitar. Good point about the 4 SpDef stopping Genesect's SpAtk boost.

Shadow Sneak is the standard in the top analysis you mention, not Iron Head. I think it's more useful to run no speed EVs (possibly even no IVs) so you can out-slow other Aegislash rather than to outrun one specific variant of Tyranitar. Good point about the 4 SpDef stopping Genesect's SpAtk boost.
I wouldn't say it's such a good idea to go after other Aegislash. You have a small chance to OHKO 252/0 Aegislash-Shield with 252+ LO Shadow Ball, so just barely beating other Aegislash could be tremendously useful in the ditto.

I wouldn't say it's such a good idea to go after other Aegislash. You have a small chance to OHKO 252/0 Aegislash-Shield with 252+ LO Shadow Ball, so just barely beating other Aegislash could be tremendously useful in the ditto.
Yeah but that's the thing, you have a small chance to OHKO other Aegislash (and only with Life Orb) if you're faster while they have a 100% chance to OHKO you with Shadow Ball/Claw since you'll be in blade forme. And against Tyranitar, the speed creep only works if it's against a variant with no speed investment and a special move because otherwise they won't have a -speed nature, it's just way too specific a scenario in my opinion.

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
Ok, I've been reading these pages, but I am still a tad confused, what is the ideal Item / EV Spread for an Aegislash running King's Shield / Sacred Sword / Shadow Ball / Iron Head?
Don't use Iron Head, IMO. It's resisted by too many types, and Shadow Ball is going to be your main attack. Think of Shadow Ball as a Specs Draco Meteor. It's powerful, spammable, and only resisted by a select few mons in OU:

0 Atk Aegislash-Blade Sacred Sword vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 84.1 - 100%

0 Atk Aegislash-Blade Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 56.4 - 66.8%

0 Atk Aegislash-Blade Sacred Sword vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Bisharp: 110.1 - 130.5%

0 Atk Aegislash-Blade Sacred Sword vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mandibuzz: 15 - 17.9%

0 Atk Aegislash-Blade Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mandibuzz: 20 - 24%

0 Atk Aegislash-Blade Sacred Sword vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Absol: 102.5 - 121%

0 Atk Aegislash-Blade Sacred Sword vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Greninja: 89.8 - 105.9%

0 Atk Aegislash-Blade Sacred Sword vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Hydreigon: 62.1 - 73.2%

You switch in and use either Shadow Ball, or Sacred Sword to hit the appropriate switchin, then use Shadow sneak to finish it off. Use King's Shield when needed. People insist on running Iron Head because it's STAB, or for Fairies, but there's really no need, or no room for it.

You don't need to run 252 Atk / 252 SpA on mixed sets. Aegislash wants its HP investment and King's Shield, and doesn't lose anything by running both.

Also, I...

I really disagree with everything you've said, actually. It's all wrong. Aegislash has 60 Base Speed. Tyranitar has 61. You run 12 EVs to outspeed it and KO. Tyranitar is a much more common switchin than opposing Aegislash. Why would you switch Aegislash into Aegislash? Why would you stay in? Even if that situation did happen, I think I'd rather be faster:

252 Atk Aegislash-Blade Shadow Sneak vs. 240 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 31.7 - 38%

252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 240 HP / 4 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 69.7 - 82.8%

The Speed advantage gives you a much better chance to come out on top. Instead of relying on Shadow Sneak and winning the Speed tie, I have a good chance to survive the Sneak in Shield Forme, then hit back with Shadow Ball.

Don't use Iron Head, IMO. It's resisted by too many types, and Shadow Ball is going to be your main attack. Think of Shadow Ball as a Specs Draco Meteor. It's powerful, spammable, and only resisted by a select few mons in OU:

You switch in and use either Shadow Ball, or Sacred Sword to hit the appropriate switchin, then use Shadow sneak to finish it off. Use King's Shield when needed. People insist on running Iron Head because it's STAB, or for Fairies, but there's really no need, or no room for it.

You don't need to run 252 Atk / 252 SpA on mixed sets. Aegislash wants its HP investment and King's Shield, and doesn't lose anything by running both.

Also, I...

I really disagree with everything you've said, actually. It's all wrong. Aegislash has 60 Base Speed. Tyranitar has 61. You run 12 EVs to outspeed it and KO. Tyranitar is a much more common switchin than opposing Aegislash. Why would you switch Aegislash into Aegislash? Why would you stay in? Even if that situation did happen, I think I'd rather be faster:

252 Atk Aegislash-Blade Shadow Sneak vs. 240 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 31.7 - 38%

252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 240 HP / 4 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 69.7 - 82.8%

The Speed advantage gives you a much better chance to come out on top. Instead of relying on Shadow Sneak and winning the Speed tie, I have a good chance to survive the Sneak in Shield Forme, then hit back with Shadow Ball.
I would like to point out that many Mixed Aegislash run some Attack investment- I believe that 88 Atk is common to guarantee the OHKO on 252/0 Tyranitar, and just to add some bite to Sacred Sword/Shadow Sneak in general.

November Blue

is a Contributor Alumnus
I would like to point out that many Mixed Aegislash run some Attack investment- I believe that 88 Atk is common to guarantee the OHKO on 252/0 Tyranitar, and just to add some bite to Sacred Sword/Shadow Sneak in general.
This is news to me. I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone use 88 Attack.

88 Atk Spooky Plate Aegislash-Blade Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gengar: 90.4 - 108%

Meh.

I run Brave 252Atk/252Sp.Atk Spooky Plate on my Aegislash. I'm very satisfied with that choice. I went for Brave because I thought that there would be more possible scenarios where I really wanted Shadow Sneak to revenge kill than scenarios where I needed the extra power on Shadow Ball. This is true especially since with the SB/SS one-two punch you get the benefit no matter which nature you run. Also, since people don't expect this spread they routinely underestimate the force of my Shadow Sneaks. Hell, it even surprises me how much a SS does sometimes.

Overall I find Aegislash finds itself in situations where it appreciates the extra power more than the extra bulk, and appreciates the extra physical power more than the extra special power. Obviously this can change depending on what its team needs.

Yeah but that's the thing, you have a small chance to OHKO other Aegislash (and only with Life Orb) if you're faster while they have a 100% chance to OHKO you with Shadow Ball/Claw since you'll be in blade forme. And against Tyranitar, the speed creep only works if it's against a variant with no speed investment and a special move because otherwise they won't have a -speed nature, it's just way too specific a scenario in my opinion.
Without reliable recovery, I would never waste Aegislash's valuable bulk by forcing it into an Aegislash vs. Aegislash battle. Even if you win, you're incredibly low on HP if you get hit by a Shadow Ball, and pretty much crippled for the rest of the match if you lose the speed tie. It's not a good position to be in regardless if you outspeed or get outsped.

In regards to Shadow Sneak vs. Iron Head, it's still on the top set as a slash over Shadow Sneak. I would still consider this moveset standard, as both options are viable. But that's besides the point.

Iron Head gives it a strong physical attack with STAB, while Shadow Sneak gives it a priority attack with utility. (It already has Shadow Ball for Ghost-type coverage, so don't recommend Shadow Claw!) If your team is already priority-heavy, I don't see much of an issue with opting for mixed offences with Iron Head. This is especially applicable if your team also dislikes taking on Fairy-types (that are not named Azumarill). But yes, I would agree with November Blue that Shadow Sneak in general is a lot more beneficial to most teams for its utility.

Last edited:

Also, I...

What are you talking about? Why would either Aegislash use Shadow Sneak in a 1v1 situation?!? That's almost the worst possible move, it not only puts you in Blade Forme before tanking your opponent's hit, but doesn't even come close to the K.O. The idea is you tank the faster opponent's Shadow Ball/Claw(/Sneak if you want, though I don't know why you would) while in Shield Form (which only has about a 30% chance to K.O even 0/0 Aegislash-S and that's only with Life Orb). You then OHKO back easily with your own slower Shadow Ball/Claw since they'll be in Blade Forme. Shadow Sneak doesn't come into the equation since it's a terrible choice for both Aegislash, whoever uses it is OHKOd by the other's Shadow Ball/Claw.

I'm not advocating switching Aegislash into Aegislash or anything, just as I hope you're not advocating switching Aegislash into Tyranitar. I'm saying being slower is advantageous in the hypothetical situation. Who knows, you may end up there with a double switch or you pivot in to take a Sacred Sword or whatever. Basically if both Aegislash have the exact same HP, EVs, Nature, and a moveset of Shadow Ball/Shadow Sneak/King's Shield/Sacred Sword for example, the one who 'wins' the Shadow Ball speed tie will always lose because it will fail to K.O while getting OHKOd in return. You can't dispute that it's better to be slower in this situation.

Also are you not getting that most Tyranitars don't run 0 speed EVs with a -speed nature? Because those are the only variants you'll be outspeeding since mixed Aegislash necessarily has a -speed nature.

I hope that clarifies my opinion. Please tell me exactly where you think I'm wrong and I'll do my best to clarify further.

November Blue

is a Contributor Alumnus
What are you talking about? Why would either Aegislash use Shadow Sneak in a 1v1 situation?!? That's almost the worst possible move, it not only puts you in Blade Forme before tanking your opponent's hit, but doesn't even come close to the K.O. The idea is you tank the faster opponent's Shadow Ball/Claw(/Sneak if you want, though I don't know why you would) while in Shield Form (which only has about a 30% chance to K.O even 0/0 Aegislash-S and that's only with Life Orb). You then OHKO back easily with your own slower Shadow Ball/Claw since they'll be in Blade Forme. Shadow Sneak doesn't come into the equation since it's a terrible choice for both Aegislash, whoever uses it is OHKOd by the other's Shadow Ball/Claw.

I'm not advocating switching Aegislash into Aegislash or anything, just as I hope you're not advocating switching Aegislash into Tyranitar. I'm saying being slower is advantageous in the hypothetical situation. Who knows, you may end up there with a double switch or you pivot in to take a Sacred Sword or whatever. Basically if both Aegislash have the exact same HP, EVs, Nature, and a moveset of Shadow Ball/Shadow Sneak/King's Shield/Sacred Sword for example, the one who 'wins' the Shadow Ball speed tie will always lose because it will fail to K.O while getting OHKOd in return. You can't dispute that it's better to be slower in this situation.

Also are you not getting that most Tyranitars don't run 0 speed EVs with a -speed nature? Because those are the only variants you'll be outspeeding since mixed Aegislash necessarily has a -speed nature.

I hope that clarifies my opinion. Please tell me exactly where you think I'm wrong and I'll do my best to clarify further.
Tyranitar would switch into Aegislash to tank the Shadow Ball. You predict and use Sacred Sword. I'm not sure though, King's Shield makes the matchup kinda shaky. Tyranitar isn't a very good Aegislash check, but it could work in a pinch.

I've been in a few Aegislash vs. Aegislash situations, and they only seem to happen mid-lategame when both swords have taken prior damage. At around 50%, Shadow Sneak is the better option, and that's exactly what happened.

Honestly, Aegislash vs. Aegislash is a horrible matchup. It's all prediction and HP% remaining, and there's no right answer. Neither of us are right, and there's not much point to discussing it.

I suggest adding Togekiss as a partner. It baits Ice, Rock, Steel, and Poison-type moves that Aegislash can easily switch in on to set up. It also loves to spread paralysis, making Aegislash a bit less reliant on Shadow Sneak. Togekiss also resists Dark-type moves and is immune to Earthquake, so it forms excellent defensive synergy with Aegislash. Togekiss also gets Aura Sphere to handle Heatran, making it less necessary to run Sacred Sword on Aegislash.

BlankZero- I would probably run Shadow Claw, Head Smash, or maybe even Toxic in the last slot. Shadow Claw provides a more powerful Ghost STAB, Head Smash has a high base power and hits a few things extra hard (Talonflame, Gyarados, Charizard, Thundurus, etc.), and Toxic is nice for a surprise factor if you expect Aegislash will switch in and out a lot.

I suggest adding Togekiss as a partner. It baits Ice, Rock, Steel, and Poison-type moves that Aegislash can easily switch in on to set up. It also loves to spread paralysis, making Aegislash a bit less reliant on Shadow Sneak. Togekiss also resists Dark-type moves and is immune to Earthquake, so it forms excellent defensive synergy with Aegislash. Togekiss also gets Aura Sphere to handle Heatran, making it less necessary to run Sacred Sword on Aegislash.

BlankZero- I would probably run Shadow Claw, Head Smash, or maybe even Toxic in the last slot. Shadow Claw provides a more powerful Ghost STAB, Head Smash has a high base power and hits a few things extra hard (Talonflame, Gyarados, Charizard, Thundurus, etc.), and Toxic is nice for a surprise factor if you expect Aegislash will switch in and out a lot.
I've actually been running Aegislash as a mostly Special Based attacker with Wide Guard (I play Doubles) or forgo Wide Guard for Shadow Sneak. A simple set of Flash Cannon/Shadow Ball/King's Shield/(Wide Guard/Shadow Sneak) is enough to pressure plenty of things while laughing off burns.

The more I'm thinking about Aegislash, the more I'm starting to think Iron Head is just better than Sacred Sword if you only use one of them.

Sacred Sword gives you a 2x move on normals, steel, and dark. This gives nice type coverage with normal and dark when pairing it with shadow sneak. It also gives you a worse option against flying, poison, bug, psychic, ghost and fairy pokemon, but shadow sneak hits these for normal or super effective damage.

Iron head gives STAB, and a 2x on fairies. It gives a worse option against steel, fire, water and electric type pokemon. These are pretty common types, but more things resist fighting than resist steel. Steel is not the same terrible offensive typing it used to be. Fighting has a bit more super effective coverage, but with swords dance and only two slots on this moveset for coverage moves, I think taking the superior neutral coverage is a lot better.

The more I'm thinking about Aegislash, the more I'm starting to think Iron Head is just better than Sacred Sword if you only use one of them.

Sacred Sword gives you a 2x move on normals, steel, and dark. This gives nice type coverage with normal and dark when pairing it with shadow sneak. It also gives you a worse option against flying, poison, bug, psychic, ghost and fairy pokemon, but shadow sneak hits these for normal or super effective damage.

Iron head gives STAB, and a 2x on fairies. It gives a worse option against steel, fire, water and electric type pokemon. These are pretty common types, but more things resist fighting than resist steel. Steel is not the same terrible offensive typing it used to be. Fighting has a bit more super effective coverage, but with swords dance and only two slots on this moveset for coverage moves, I think taking the superior neutral coverage is a lot better.
Actually, Ghost+Fighting gives literally perfect coverage. There is nothing you can't hit for at least Neutral with Ghost+Fighting. Ghost+Steel, however, is resisted by any Water+Dark type or Dark+Steel type (Crawdaunt, Greninja, Bisharp).

Also, I...

So what EV spread do you suggest?

I'm not the guy you're quoting, but a good EV spread IMO would be 156HP/100Atk/252SpAtk with a Quiet nature. 100 (or 88 to be really min/max'y) Attack EVs ensures the OHKO on 252HP/0Def Tyranitar. The EVs also help a bit with generally adding bite to Aegislash's physical attacks.

The EV spread November Blue was referring to would probably be the 252HP/252SpAtk/4Atk special attacking spread, also Quiet. It's bulkier than mine but obviously has less physical attacking power.

November Blue

is a Contributor Alumnus
236 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 12 Spe Quiet. Spooky Plate or Leftovers.

The Special Defense EVs are for Genesect's Download:

252 SpA Genesect Flamethrower vs. 236 HP / 4 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 132-156 (41.2 - 48.7%)

U-turn and Iron Head aren't doing anything to Aegislash, in comparison.

Although, there's one thing I'm not sure of. Is there any merit to running a + SpA -SpD nature, to preserve Aegislash's Speed? Base 60 is home to quite a few notable defensive Pokes, but mainly Tyranitar. I don't use it much, and I'll admit that I have no idea which sets it's running ATM. Do people run Sassy? Or do they stick with Careful?

Base 60 is home to quite a few notable defensive Pokes, but mainly Tyranitar. I don't use it much, and I'll admit that I have no idea which sets it's running ATM. Do people run Sassy? Or do they stick with Careful?
Yes, people still run Sassy if they'd like to run Fire Blast/Ice Beam to hit targets like Ferrothorn and Gliscor, which it'd normally have trouble getting past, as I'm sure you're aware.

I start seeing Aegislash as a suspect. Although I think that we need more time to think about it, I think that there's various reasonin my theory of why I believe so:
-It's one of the few reliable pokemon that an use Weakness Policy. And unlike Dragonite, he can switch in resisted attacks, SR, status, etc.
-It's a pokemon that an take hits with 150 Defense and Special Defense and attak with 150 Attack and Special Attack. It's one of the few pokemon that enjoy his lack of speed. The objective is using Shield Forme to take attacks, attacks and use King Shield to be protet and revert to Shield Forme. When the oponnent is weak or Aegislash an't take more, use Shadow Sneak to end the match.
-It can be physical, mixed or even special, with all of them being effective sets on it. The opponent has to play if they are going to fight SD + King Aegislash, Automotize Aegislash, King + 3 Attaks Physical; King + 3 Attaks Mixed, Weakness Policy, Lum Berry to take care of status etc. Also it has unresisted coverage between his moves.
-Many physical attackers are forced to use Earthquake because it's the only effective move on Aegislash that doesn't make contact on him. And this is huge because everytime that a pokemon is hit by King Shield and makes contact, his Attack (the stat used for every ontat moves except Petal Dance, Grass Knot and Draining Kiss) is halved. This is causing that a Dark Pokemon is forced to use Sucker Punch (oinly hits when its attacking) to defeat Aegislash beause the risk of a King Shield. And other pokemon are using Sucker Punch mainly because the same reason even on pokes like Mega Banette with STAB Shadow Sneak and terrible coverage.

-Aegislash has an excellent typing with 3 inmunities (Normal, Fighting, Poison) And a lot of resitances (Grass, Ice, Fighting, Poison, Flying, Psyhic, Bug, Rock, Dragon, Steel and Fairy). If Aegislash can take a super effective move in Blade Forme (except few exceptions) he is taking all this types of moves.

-There are no pokemon that can take hits with 150 Base Defenses in both sides and attack with 150 Attack from both sides of the spectrum. true that has 50 Base Defenses when attacking but the smart player will try to attack last (reducing his Speed to the minimum possible).

-His ability can't be copied by Ditto. Also his ability apparently can't be removed by the usual ways to remove an ability. True that the moves that change the ability of a pokemon are gimmicky but if they see Aegislash too dangerous they could try to use Gastro Aid, Worry Seed, Simple Beam with no effect.

Good pokemon does not equal suspect you know. You can make a similar laundry list for any top OU pokemon too.

150/150 defenses might be impressive but it also has only 60 hp. It's not a tank.
Kings shield is easily predictable in a lot of circumstances. And against any pokemon that isn't inclined to use contact moves, the aegislash user is under a lot more pressure to predict correctly.
SD aegislash has a lot of hard counters. Mandibuzz for example.
Weakslash is ridiculously predictable. If it SDs/Automotizes or doesn't use shadow ball on turn 1 and there's no lefties, it probably has weakness policy.
Shadow sneak is still 40 base with no additional multiplier outside of STAB. It's not talonflame.

Aegislash is currently not suspect-worthy. It's very, very strong, but it's base stats are somewhat compromised by the low base power of it's best attacks. It might make it onto a suspect list but it'll never get even close to banned. Now, if it were to get it's tassels on a Ghost-type Overheat, it would be a different story. Especially as such a move would be perfect for Aegislash- it's most popular sets use the hit-and-run tactic also used by pokes with stat-dropping attacks, and even if the ghost overheat (Spirit Bomb, heh) didn't kill it would have base 150 attack to finish off the opponent. But that's descending into theorymonning.

I made this post5 because in Pokemon Online (even though is not Smogon, it serves as a reference) the pokemon that are in the top of UU has a clear weakness to Aegislash.
Sylveon 18.912 8835
Latias 18.3919 8592

Terrakion 17.2338 8051
Jirachi 16.9769 7931
Gardevoir 15.1232 7065
Salamence 12.9612 6055
Kyurem-B 12.5309 5854
Keldeo 12.4346 5809
Heracross 11.7347 5482
Weavile 11.0111 5144
Chansey 10.3925 4855
Zapdos 10.2213 4775
Doublade 9.82954 4592
Victini 9.77816 4568
Absol 9.21733 4306
Medicham 9.11458 4258
Manaphy 8.56232 4000

The pokemon that I put in bold has serious issues with Aegislash and almost counter it in most instances. Some of these pokemon are UU because Aegislash counters them.

So pokemon in OU see an OU pokemon as a threat? That's not even news.

Aegislash is slow as sin, takes a fair while to set up, and has trouble with more or less any physical tank because even with a +2 with base 150 atk, it doesn't do a lot with shadow sneak. Kings shield is very easy to predict and in most cases will just delay an inevitable OHKO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)