Aerodactyl

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
i've been using this:

Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Sky Drop
- Aqua Tail
- Protect

stone edge is an option > rock slide but i like fast rock slide. sky drop is just an excellent disrupting move, especially when aero is so fast. the third move can be whatever you want, i'm sure there's a good case for a fang or taunt or tailwind or sub or roost or wide guard or whatever. i use aqua tail because it KOs mega diancie and still does good damage to lando-t (like 70something to 80something) but it's a team by team thing. but yeah i'll leave it to QC to work out slashes and appropriate spreads and such (i'm sure the one i'm using now isn't optimal but it hasn't been an issue. might change it later, maybe drop some speed or something). but yeah mega aero is cool because it can hit hard while still posing a nuisance to the opponent through coverage + fast rock slide + fast sky drop. it gobbles the skymin + keld core that's been trending rn which is nice too. hopefully this helped. if you need anything else just ask.

also i'm tired of waiting to post when i know i'm not doin anythin big for my 2k so i'll just give shoutouts below:
first one goes to user SpaceBass since he's one of my favorite people on this site and i talk to him literally every day i'm on. also he follows my blog which all of you should do. shaian also gets a shoutout for bein someone i converse with regularly and for being a Doubles room regular with good music taste. steelphoenix gets one for being a quality tutee who still keeps in touch (even though he's lame and doesn't play doubles anymore) and for being good and thus making me look good.

shoutout to Stratos Pocket Arcticblast Mizuhime Joim Nollan Laga Bughouse Braverius and Level 51 for being cool people in the doubles community for ages. you've all been important to my development in the community, have all made hanging around in it a lot more enjoyable, and are just all around great users. keep on bein awesome.

ps room fam (besides already mentioned users): xzern qsns KyleCole Electrolyte SocialSocialSocial iliketrains11 Dashspin 13ulbasaur Hashtag Memoric shrop05 kamikaze17 Nido-Rus deoxys speed LzrGunPewPew TGMD for making my (depressingly extensive) time in the room more fun.

ofc i gotta tag my afrabs brothers for bein the best team i've ever been on: Masterclass Leftiez Lady Bug Shoka Omfuga 1996ITO ModestGarchomp praj.pran xtra$hine Mazar ArchPhantom BlackBloodz Felony Jsaok3 Subject 18 Furai

tagging Haruno because i actually like him even tho he keeps away from dubsland now.

not tagging my fellow ps staff members because that's too many people but if any of you happen to read this please know it's a pleasure to serve with all of you :) also not tagging this group since i don't know em all but to all the people that read my blog, you're great.

finally gotta tag DTC as without my smogdad i wouldn't be here.

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Overview:
Take out the whole "wide guard lets aerodactyl force lando-t" part in the overview as lando-t does commonly run stedge just for those pesky wideguards and rephrase it as "lando-t's locked into eq or rock slide"

Set:
IMO i'd like to see sky drop / taunt / wideguard slashed behind protect so you can potentially run sets like rock slide / sky drop / wide guard / tailwind and it works quite nicely (it worked well in my use) especially if you have a faster fake out user so you don't have to worry about opposing fake outs or you can fake out faster mons t1

Usage Tips:
Note that sky drop lets your partner ignore the effects of RP / Follow Me, and that it stops working on heavier mons (over 200 kg or some shit)
Don't fall victim to needlessly using Tailwind (the biggest mistake a lot of people make with twind)
also works pretty well late-game like all annoying ass fast rock slide users

Other Options:
lol iron head to beat fairies and i guess rocks like diancie

implement dis and i'll check again to trey / trey

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
you missed one part dude:
"thanks to its great speed and access to tailwind and rockslide, it works well assisting its partner in a late-game cleanup" or something like that is something i'd like to see in usage tips

late game kang / zard / gard + aero sweeps are a sight to behold

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
is a Top Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
DPL Champion
you missed one part dude:
"thanks to its great speed and access to tailwind and rockslide, it works well assisting its partner in a late-game cleanup" or something like that is something i'd like to see in usage tips

late game kang / zard / gard + aero sweeps are a sight to behold
Sorry about that, I should've proofread it before. It's updated now

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
DPL Champion
Thanks for the check, I'll wait till like tomorrow afternoon to implement it just in case anyone has anything else to add :]

e: Aerodactyl is ready for GP checks :]

Last edited:
Unofficial AMCheck

Delete (RC) = Remove Comma
Add (AC)=Add Comma
Comment

[OVERVIEW]

Aerodactyl is one of the fastest viable Tailwind users without Prankster in the metagame and also one of the few viable Wide Guard users. Aerodactyl separates itself from other Tailwind users with its unique set of support options and its Speed. For example, Choice Scarf Landorus-T can prevent most Tailwind users, which are usually more than likely a Flying-type, from setting up Tailwind by spamming Rock Slide, but because Aerodactyl has access to Wide Guard, it is able to block Landorus-T locked into Rock Slide and keep it out By "keep it out" do you mean stop it from switching in? Or forcing it to switch after it's already begun spam? Both of those sound like possibilities and this seems a little vague, which allows Aerodactyl to safely set up Tailwind. Aerodactyl's Speed can allows it to outrun Shaymin-S, which Aerodactyl can actually threaten out, so Aerodactyl will never be stopped by an Air Slash flinch when trying to set up Tailwind. Aerodactyl is also one of the only viable Tailwind users that can OHKO Mega Charizard Y without a damage boosting item. Aerodactyl is able to disrupt Hyper Offense teams really well due to its access to a fast Tailwind and Sky Drop. Aerodactyl, However, it is weak to many common types, and this, combined with its mediocre defenses, makes it very reliant on its Focus Sash. Aerodactyl is also very vulnerable to speed control; Thundurus, in particular, can cripple Aerodactyl with Prankster Thunder Wave, leaving it slow and vulnerable. Aerodactyl's typing also makes it weak to Icy Wind, which will cripple Aerodactyl immensely, as its Speed is one of its selling points. Not a huge issue, but you used the word "cripple" twice in two sentences. Is there anything else that might work there? Also, Aerodactyl also isn't as splashable as other Tailwind users, such as Togekiss, and is also very weak to rain teams.

[SET]
name: Offensive Support
move 1: Rock Slide / Stone Edge
move 2: Tailwind
move 3: Wide Guard / Taunt / Sky Drop
move 4: Protect / Sky Drop / Taunt / Wide Guard
ability: Unnerve
item: Focus Sash
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
nature: Jolly

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Rock Slide can be used to fish for flinches and bypasses redirection, while Stone Edge allows Aerodactyl to reliably check Mega Charizard Y(RC) in case it is paired with a Wide Guard user. Stone Edge's increased power can allow Aerodactyl to OHKO Pokemon such as Rotom-H and can pick off frailer threats like Mega Gardevoir. Tailwind is a support move that allows Aerodactyl, and potentially its partner, to outrun the entire unboosted metagame. Wide Guard protects against spread moves such as Rock Slide. Taunt can be used to shut down opposing support moves, such as Tailwind, Trick Room, Will-O-Wisp, Protect, and setup moves. Sky Drop disrupts the opponent and can protect Aerodactyl's partner for a turn or allow them to double target once the target lands. Protect stalls out opposing Tailwind or Trick Room and can allow allows Aerodactyl to scout for Fake Out. Well written. Went through it twice and couldn't find anything but a small comma and parallelism issue.

Set Details
========

Aerodactyl has very mediocre defenses, so it is not beneficial to invest into it them at all. Maximum Speed EVs with a Jolly nature ensures that Aerodactyl is the fastest it can be so that it can set up Tailwind. Why does it have to be the fastest to set up Tailwind? Does it want to set up Tailwind first? Or take the most advantage? A little clarification might be good here. Maximum Attack EVs allows Aerodactyl to hit as hard as possible without hindering its Speed. Not sure how maximum Attack EVs could affect or hinder Speed EVs. Focus Sash is the preferred item because Aerodactyl is super very frail, so and most super effective hits will OHKO it. Unnerve is the preferred ability, as it allows Aerodactyl to stop berries, such as the common Sitrus Berry which is crucial to many bulky support Pokemon, from activating. I'm figuratively nitpicking here. Again, very well written; just trying to smooth it out and clarify it a bit for someone who has never touched Doubles OU.

Usage Tips
========

Aerodactyl works great as a lead, as a first turn Tailwind applies massive pressure on the opponent. Aerodactyl should not be switched into attacks due to its terrible bulk and the potential for its Focus Sash to be broken. Aerodactyl should use Sky Drop when it needs to disrupt a Pokemon or to give Aerodactyl's partner an easier time of setting up. Sky Drop also allows Aerodactyl's partner to ignore the effects of Rage Powder and Follow Me, but keep in mind that Sky Drop it will fail against Pokemon weighing 200 kg or more. Don't fall victim to using Tailwind needlessly; only use it when needed. Thanks to Aerodactyl's great Speed and access to Tailwind and Rock Slide, it works really well with its partner for a late-game cleanup.

Team Options
========

Midddle to lower Speed tier Pokemon that can do a lot of damage, such as Mega Kangaskhan, Mega Charizard Y, Mega Gardevoir, Sylveon, and Landorus, are great partners for Aerodactyl, as they are benefitted benefit greatly from Tailwind. Mega Kangaskhan is especially good due to potential Fake Out support increasing Aerodactyl's chances of setting up Tailwind. Aerodactyl's Sky Drop support can allow Mega Kangaskhan to set up Power-Up Punch easier by removing a threat; Aerodactyl's Unnerve ability also can allow Mega Kangaskhan to KO Pokemon that are EVed to live a Return or Double Edge with Sitrus Berry activating in between hits by stopping the berry from being activated. Set up sweepers, such as Mega Kangaskhan and Azumarill, generally are good partners with Aerodactyl because Aerodactyl can use Sky Drop to remove a threat to the set up sweeper, thus allowing it to set up easier. Many Steel-types, such as Aegislash and Heatran, are great partners for Aerodactyl as they are benefited benefit greatly by from Aerodactyl's Wide Guard support and ability to check Fire-types. Heatran can cover most of Aerodactyl's weaknesses, while only sharing one weakness. Heatran also greatly appreciated appreciates Tailwind and Wide Guard support. More Offensive Lightningrod users, like such as Mega Manectric before Mega Evolution, helps to draw in Electric-type attacks aimed at Aerodactyl. Landorus is a great partner for Aerodactyl, as it is a great attacker under Tailwind; while and is also being able to check opposing Landorus-T and Steel-types, which threatens Aerodactyl.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Mega Aerodactyl can be used, however, it is very outclassed and the only reason it should be used is for its insane Speed. This sentence is a little bit confusing. I assume you're trying to say "Mega-Aerodactyl is an option, but it is mostly outclassed except for its exceptional Speed." Earthquake can be used to hit Steel-types such as Heatran, while Aerial Ace is another STAB option for Grass-types should Aerodactyl choose not to use Sky Drop. Stealth Rock is an option to disrupt What does "disrupt" mean? Clarification would be good, as I haven't really seen the term used much on Smogon. Mega Charizard Y and Talonflame. Life Orb or Mental Herb are alternative item choices but Focus Sash is usually preferred. Iron Head is an option to hit Rock-types, most notably Mega Diancie.

Checks and Counters
=================

**Speed**: While Aerodactyl naturally outspeeds nearly the entire unboosted metagame, anything that can outspeed it can usually bring it down to its Focus Sash. Weather sweepers, such as Ludicolo in Rain, Excadrill in Sand, and Venusaur in Sun, can outspeed Aerodactyl, when its their respective weathers are is up, and bring it down to its Focus Sash. Common Choice Scarf users, such as Landorus-T, can outspeed Aerodactyl and threaten to bring it down to its Focus Sash. Priority moves, most notably Aqua Jet from Azumarill, can also bring Aerodactyl down to its Focus Sash. Deoxys-A, a common Pokemon that actually outspeeds Aerodactyl, can deal massive damage to it with Ice Beam. Instead of saying "bring it down to its Focus Sash" three sentences in a row, perhaps use "break sash" or another similar term. On that note, it also feels like you could combine those sentences by saying "Weather sweepers, common choice scarf users, and priority moves can all bring Aerodactyl down to its focus sash". Granted, it's a lot less informative, so your choice.

**Speed Control**: A Paralysis will completely cripple Aerodactyl. Icy Wind also cripples it due to it being a super effective attack as well as lowering its speed. Trick Room completely beats Aerodactyl since it is so fast. It doesn't have the bulk and too frail to withstand multiple hits if Trick Room does go up.

**Typing Advantage**: Since Aerodactyl is so frail, most super effective hits will either OHKO it or do massive damage. Rotom-W, one of Aerodactyl's biggest checks, can easily OHKO it with Hydro Pump/Thunderbolt. Bulky Water-types in general, such as Azumarill and Suicune, can easily OHKO Aerodactyl. Steel-types such as Ferrothorn, Aegislash, and Mega Metagross can counter Aerodactyl pretty nicely as they're able to take its attacks with relative ease and force it out with a Steel-type move; Aegislash, in particular, has access to Wide Guard which can prevent Aerodactyl from damaging the opponent with Rock Slide. Aerodactyl can, however, run Taunt to prevent Aegislash from using Wide Guard, Substitute, and King's Shield. Couldn't find anything wrong here. Kudos.

**Intimidate and Burns**: Aerodactyl hits decently hard but if it gets burned or Intimidated, it's damage output goes down immensely and it has no way of boosting it back up except by switching if Intimidated. Intimidators Intimidate-users, such as Landorus-T and Mawile, can easily switch in and threaten Aerodactyl. Pokemon such as Rotom-W can also threaten Aerodactyl with a burn/OHKO it. This section was focused on how to counter with Intimidate or Burns, so I took out the OHKO part.

Well done! One of the most well put together analyses I've read to date.

Last edited:

Empress

Warning: may contain traces of nuts
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Add
Remove

Comment

[OVERVIEW]

Aerodactyl is one of the fastest viable Tailwind users without Prankster in the metagame and is also one of the few viable Wide Guard users. Aerodactyl separates itself from other Tailwind users with its unique set of support options and its high Speed. For example, Choice Scarf Landorus-T can prevent most Tailwind users, which are more than likely a usually Flying-types, from setting up Tailwind by spamming Rock Slide, but because Aerodactyl has access to Wide Guard, it is able to block Landorus-T locked into Rock Slide (But after Wide Guard blocks Rock Slide, Lando-T can just use it on the next turn b/c you shouldn't use Wide Guard consecutively...) and keep (force?) it out, which allows Aerodactyl to safely set up Tailwind. Aerodactyl's Speed can allow it to outrun Shaymin-S, which Aerodactyl can actually threaten out, so Aerodactyl will never be stopped by an flinch from Air Slash flinch when trying to set up Tailwind. Aerodactyl is also one of the only viable Tailwind users that can OHKO Mega Charizard Y without a damage-(AH)boosting item. Aerodactyl is able to disrupt Hyper Offense hyper offense teams really well due to its access to a fast Tailwind and Sky Drop as well as. Aerodactyl, however, However, Aerodactyl is weak to many common types, and this, combined with its mediocre defenses, makes it very reliant on its Focus Sash. Aerodactyl is also very vulnerable to speed control; Thundurus, (RC) in particular, (RC) can cripple (use whatever word you want in place of "cripple" to avoid repetition) Aerodactyl with Prankster Thunder Wave, leaving it slow and vulnerable. Aerodactyl's typing also makes it weak to Icy Wind, which will cripple Aerodactyl immensely, as its Speed is one of its selling points. Aerodactyl also isn't as splashable doesn't fit as easily onto most teams (never, ever use "splashable") as other Tailwind users, such as Togekiss, and it is also very weak to rain teams.

[SET]
move 4: Protect / Sky Drop / Taunt / Wide Guard

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Rock Slide can be used to fish aim for flinches and bypasses redirection, while Stone Edge allows Aerodactyl to reliably check Mega Charizard Y, (RC) in case it is paired with a Wide Guard user. Stone Edge's increased power can allow Aerodactyl to OHKO Pokemon such as Rotom-H and can pick off frailer threats like such as Mega Gardevoir. Tailwind is a support move that allows Aerodactyl, and potentially its partner, to outrun the entire unboosted metagame. Wide Guard protects against spread moves such as Rock Slide. Taunt can be used to shut down opposing support status moves, such as Tailwind, Trick Room, Will-O-Wisp, Protect, and setup moves. Sky Drop disrupts the opponent foe and can protect Aerodactyl's partner for a turn or allow them to double target once the target lands. Protect stalls out opposing Tailwind or Trick Room and can allows Aerodactyl to scout for Fake Out.

Set Details
========

Aerodactyl has very mediocre defenses, so it is not beneficial to invest into it them at all. Maximum Speed EVs with a Jolly nature ensures that Aerodactyl is the fastest it can be so that it can set up Tailwind. Maximum Attack EVs allows Aerodactyl to hit as hard as possible without hindering its Speed. Focus Sash is the preferred item because Aerodactyl is super very frail, so most super effective hits will OHKO it. Unnerve is the preferred ability, as it allows Aerodactyl to stop berries Berries, such as the common Sitrus Berry, (AC) which is crucial to many bulky support Pokemon, from activating.

Usage Tips
========

Aerodactyl works great as a lead, as a first turn Tailwind applies massive pressure on to the opponent opposing team. Aerodactyl should not be switched into attacks due to its terrible bulk and the potential for its Focus Sash to be broken. Aerodactyl should use Sky Drop when it needs to disrupt a Pokemon or to give Aerodactyl's its partner an easier time of setting up or when it needs. Sky Drop also allows Aerodactyl's partner to ignore the effects of Rage Powder and Follow Me, but keep in mind that Sky Drop will fail against Pokemon weighing 200 kg or more. Don't fall victim to using Tailwind needlessly; only use it when needed. Thanks to Aerodactyl's great Speed and access to Tailwind and Rock Slide, it works really well with its partner for a late-game cleanup.

Team Options
========

Midddle to lower Speed tier Pokemon that can do a lot of damage Powerful Pokemon that aren't particularly fast (tried cleaning this up), such as Mega Kangaskhan, Mega Charizard Y, Mega Gardevoir, Sylveon, and Landorus, are great partners for Aerodactyl, as they are benefitted greatly from Tailwind. Mega Kangaskhan is especially good due to its potential Fake Out support increasing Aerodactyl's chances of setting up Tailwind. Aerodactyl's Sky Drop support can allow Mega Kangaskhan to set up Power-Up Punch easier more easily by removing a threat; Aerodactyl's Unnerve ability also can also allow Mega Kangaskhan to KO Pokemon that are EVed to live survive a Return or Double-(AH)Edge with Sitrus Berry activating in between hits by stopping the berry Berry from being activated. Set(remove space)up sweepers, such as Mega Kangaskhan and Azumarill, generally are good partners with Aerodactyl because Aerodactyl can use Sky Drop to remove a threat to the set(remove space)up sweeper, thus allowing it to set up easier. Many Steel-types, such as Aegislash and Heatran, are great partners for Aerodactyl, (AC) as they are benefited greatly by from Aerodactyl's Wide Guard support and ability to check Fire-types. Heatran can cover most of Aerodactyl's weaknesses, while only sharing and shares one weakness. Heatran also greatly appreciated appreciates Tailwind and Wide Guard support. More offensive Offensive Lightningrod Rod users, like such as Mega Manectric before Mega Evolution prior to Mega Evolving, helps to draw in Electric-type attacks aimed at Aerodactyl. Landorus is a great partner for Aerodactyl, as it is a great attacker under Tailwind; while and is also being able to check opposing Landorus-T and Steel-types, which threatens Aerodactyl.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Mega Aerodactyl can be used, however, but it is very outclassed, (AC) and the only reason it should be used is for its insane Speed. Earthquake can be used to hit Steel-types such as Heatran, while Aerial Ace is another STAB option for Grass-types should Aerodactyl choose not to use Sky Drop. Stealth Rock is an option to disrupt Mega Charizard Y and Talonflame. Life Orb or Mental Herb are alternative item choices, (AC) but Focus Sash is usually preferred. Iron Head is an option to hit Rock-types, most notably Mega Diancie.

Checks and Counters
=================

**Speed**: While Aerodactyl naturally outspeeds nearly the entire unboosted metagame, anything that can outspeed it can usually bring it down to its Focus Sash. Weather sweepers, such as Ludicolo in Rain rain, Excadrill in Sand sand, and Venusaur in Sun sun, can outspeed Aerodactyl, (RC) when its their respective weathers are is up, (RC) and bring it down to its Focus Sash. Common Choice Scarf users, such as Landorus-T, can outspeed Aerodactyl and threaten to bring it down to its Focus Sash. Priority moves, most notably Aqua Jet from Azumarill, can also bring Aerodactyl down to its Focus Sash. Deoxys-A, a common Pokemon that actually outspeeds Aerodactyl, can deal massive damage to it with Ice Beam.

**Speed Control**: A paralysis Paralysis will completely cripple Aerodactyl. Icy Wind also cripples it due to it being a super effective attack as well as and lowering its speed Aerodactyl's Speed. Trick Room completely beats Aerodactyl since because it is so fast. It doesn't have the bulk to withstand multiple hits if Trick Room does go goes up.

**Typing Advantage**: Since Because Aerodactyl is so frail, most super effective hits will either OHKO it or do massive damage. Rotom-W, one of Aerodactyl's biggest checks, can easily OHKO it with Hydro Pump/ or Thunderbolt. Bulky Water-types in general, such as Azumarill and Suicune, can easily OHKO Aerodactyl. Steel-types such as Ferrothorn, Aegislash, and Mega Metagross can counter Aerodactyl pretty nicely, (AC) as they're able to take its attacks with relative ease and force it out with a Steel-type move; Aegislash, in particular, has access to Wide Guard, (AC) which can prevent Aerodactyl from damaging the opponent foe with Rock Slide. Aerodactyl can, however, run Taunt to prevent Aegislash from using Wide Guard, Substitute, and King's Shield.

**Intimidate and Burns**: Aerodactyl hits decently hard, (AC) but if it gets burned or Intimidated, it'(apostrophe)s damage output goes down immensely, (AC) and it has no way of boosting it back up except by switching if Intimidated. Intimidators (Is this a coined term? If so, use it. If not, use Intimdate users), such as Landorus-T and Mawile, can easily switch in and threaten Aerodactyl. Pokemon such as Rotom-W can also threaten Aerodactyl with a burn/ or outright OHKO it.

GP 1/2

Torterrable, the changes you made were outstanding, but you did miss quite a bit.

Last edited:

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
remove
add (Capitalize / Fix)

(comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
[OVERVIEW]

Aerodactyl is one of the fastest viable Tailwind users without Prankster (is this really necessary? your point stands) in the metagame and is also as well as one of the few viable Wide Guard users. Aerodactyl separates distinguishes itself from other Tailwind users with its unique set of support options and its high Speed, (comma) For example, Aerodactyl can set Tailwind more reliably than most setters, which are usually Flying-types, because Landorus-T can only threaten it with Rock Slide, but is afraid of Wide Guard. with, for example, Wide Guard allowing it to set up Tailwind more reliably against Landorus-T, which threatens most setters with Rock Slide. (what you have is grammatically correct if you remove the comma before "but is afraid", but it sounds really chunky, so I strongly prefer this... I can't properly shoehorn the Flying-types thing into this, though, so if you feel you really need that, I guess you can keep yours after removing the comma, but it's pretty much implied imo) Aerodactyl's Speed can allow it to outrun Shaymin-S, which Aerodactyl can actually threaten out, so Aerodactyl will never be stopped by a flinch from Air Slash when trying to set up Tailwind. Aerodactyl is also one of the only viable Tailwind users that can OHKO Mega Charizard Y without a damage-boosting item. Aerodactyl is able to disrupt hyper offensive teams really well due to its access to a fast Tailwind as well as Sky Drop. However, Aerodactyl is weak to many common attacking types, (clarity) and this, combined with its mediocre defenses, makes it very reliant on its Focus Sash. Aerodactyl is also very vulnerable to speed control; Thundurus, (AC) in particular, (AC) can immobilize Aerodactyl with Prankster Thunder Wave, leaving it slow and vulnerable. Aerodactyl's typing also makes it weak to Icy Wind, which will cripple Aerodactyl immensely, as its Speed is one of its selling points. Aerodactyl also doesn't fit as easily onto most teams as other Tailwind users, such as Togekiss, and it is also very weak to rain teams.

[SET]
move 4: Protect / Sky Drop / Taunt / Wide Guard (you can unslash one of Sky Drop / Taunt / WG, still allows all combinations but looks just a bit less disgusting)

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Rock Slide can be used to aim for flinches and bypass redirection, while Stone Edge allows Aerodactyl to reliably check Mega Charizard Y in case it is paired with a Wide Guard user. Stone Edge's increased higher power can allow Aerodactyl to OHKO Pokemon such as Rotom-H and can pick off frailer threats such as Mega Gardevoir. Tailwind allows Aerodactyl, and potentially its partner, to outrun the entire unboosted metagame. Wide Guard protects against spread moves such as Rock Slide. Taunt can be used to shut down opposing status moves, such as Tailwind, Trick Room, Will-O-Wisp, Protect, and setup moves. Sky Drop disrupts the foe and can protect Aerodactyl's partner for a turn or allow them it to double target a foe once the target it lands. Protect stalls out opposing Tailwind or Trick Room and allows Aerodactyl to scout for Fake Out.

Set Details
========

Aerodactyl has very mediocre defenses, so it is not beneficial to invest into them at all. Maximum Speed EVs with a Jolly nature ensure that Aerodactyl is the fastest it can be so that it can set up Tailwind. Maximum Attack EVs allow Aerodactyl to hit as hard as possible without hindering its Speed. Focus Sash is the preferred item because Aerodactyl is very frail, so meaning most super effective hits will OHKO it. Unnerve allows Aerodactyl to stop Berries, such as the common Sitrus Berry, which is crucial to many bulky support Pokemon, from activating.

Usage Tips
========

Aerodactyl works great as a lead, as a first-turn (add hyphen) Tailwind applies massive pressure to the opposing team. Aerodactyl should not be switched into attacks due to its terrible bulk and the potential for its Focus Sash to be broken. Aerodactyl should use Sky Drop to give its partner an easier time of setting up or when it needs to disrupt a Pokemon. Sky Drop also allows Aerodactyl's partner to ignore the effects of Rage Powder and Follow Me, but you must keep in mind that Sky Drop will fail against Pokemon weighing 200 kg or more. Don't fall victim to using Tailwind needlessly; only use it when needed. Thanks to Aerodactyl's great Speed and access to Tailwind and Rock Slide, it works really well with its partner for a late-game cleanup.

Team Options
========

Powerful Pokemon that aren't particularly fast, such as Mega Kangaskhan, Mega Charizard Y, Mega Gardevoir, Sylveon, and Landorus, are great partners for Aerodactyl, as they benefit greatly from Tailwind. Mega Kangaskhan is especially good due to its potential Fake Out support increasing Aerodactyl's chances of setting up Tailwind. Aerodactyl's Sky Drop support can allow Mega Kangaskhan to set up Power-Up Punch more easily by removing a threat; Aerodactyl's Unnerve can also allow Mega Kangaskhan to KO Pokemon that are have been EVed to survive a Return or Double-Edge with Sitrus Berry activating in between hits by stopping the Berry from being activated. Setup sweepers, such as Mega Kangaskhan and Azumarill, generally are good partners with Aerodactyl because Aerodactyl can use Sky Drop to remove a threat to the setup sweeper, allowing it to set up easier more easily. Many Steel-types, such as Aegislash and Heatran, are great partners for Aerodactyl, as they benefit greatly from Aerodactyl's Wide Guard support and ability to check Fire-types. Heatran can cover most of Aerodactyl's weaknesses and shares only one weakness. Heatran also greatly appreciates Tailwind and Wide Guard support. Offensive Lightning Rod Lightningrod users, such as Mega Manectric prior to Mega Evolving, help to draw in Electric-type attacks aimed at Aerodactyl. Landorus is a great partner for Aerodactyl, as it is a great attacker under Tailwind and is also able to check opposing Landorus-T and Steel-types, which threaten Aerodactyl.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Mega Aerodactyl can be used, but it is very outclassed, (AC) and the only reason it should be used is for its insane Speed. Earthquake can be used to hit Steel-types such as Heatran, while Aerial Ace is another STAB option for Grass-types should Aerodactyl choose not to use Sky Drop. Stealth Rock is an option to disrupt Mega Charizard Y and Talonflame. Life Orb or Mental Herb are alternative item choices, but Focus Sash is usually preferred. Iron Head is an option to hit Rock-types, most notably Mega Diancie.

Checks and Counters
=================

**Speed**: While Aerodactyl naturally outspeeds nearly the entire unboosted metagame, anything that can outspeed it can usually bring it down to its Focus Sash. Weather sweepers, such as Ludicolo in rain, Excadrill in sand, and Venusaur in sun, can outspeed Aerodactyl when their respective weathers are up (RC) and bring it down to its Focus Sash. Common Choice Scarf users, such as Landorus-T, can outspeed Aerodactyl and threaten to bring it down to its Focus Sash. Priority moves, most notably Aqua Jet from Azumarill, can also bring Aerodactyl down to its Focus Sash. Deoxys-A, a common Pokemon that actually outspeeds Aerodactyl, can deal massive damage to it with Ice Beam.

**Speed Control**: Paralysis will completely cripples Aerodactyl. Icy Wind also cripples it due to it being a super effective attack Aerodactyl by hitting it super effectively and lowering Aerodactyl's its Speed. Trick Room completely beats checkmates (or w/e, but it doesn't actually "beat" it)Aerodactyl because it is so fast. It and doesn't have the bulk to withstand multiple hits if Trick Room goes up.

**Typing Advantage**: Because Aerodactyl is so frail, most super effective hits will either OHKO it or do massive damage. Rotom-W, one of Aerodactyl's biggest checks, can easily OHKO it with Hydro Pump or Thunderbolt. Bulky Water-types in general, such as Azumarill and Suicune, can easily OHKO Aerodactyl. Steel-types such as Ferrothorn, Aegislash, and Mega Metagross can counter Aerodactyl pretty nicely, as they are able to take its attacks with relative ease and force it out with a Steel-type move; Aegislash, in particular, has access to Wide Guard, which can prevent Aerodactyl from damaging the foe with Rock Slide. Aerodactyl can, however, run Taunt to prevent Aegislash from using Wide Guard, Substitute, and King's Shield.

**Intimidate and Burns**: Aerodactyl hits decently hard, but if it gets burned or Intimidated, its damage output goes down immensely, and it has no way of boosting it back up except by switching if Intimidated. Intimidate users, such as Landorus-T and Mawile, can easily switch in and threaten Aerodactyl. Pokemon such as Rotom-W can also threaten Aerodactyl with a burn or outright OHKO it.

GP 2/2

Last edited:

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
DPL Champion
Aerodactyl is finished and ready to be uploaded. Just in case I missed anything/should add anything else, can someone take one last look at it? Thanks in advance :)

Just my opinion, but I think it makes more sense for the slashes on the third and fourth moves to be:

move 4: Protect / Taunt / Sky Drop

For example, it seems strange to have Wide Guard as the final slash for the fourth move when it's the primary slash for the third slot. It's both the best option and least best option? Organizing it as listing two alternative moves you can use in either slot has a bit more structure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)