Pokémon Aggron

Status
Not open for further replies.
So how exactly is this thing in Mega form? I know a lot of people say underwhelming, but being able to survive 3 EQ from Garchomp with no DEF EVs doesnt sound underwhelming at all. Yeah it's sp.def is mediocre, but you can just switch out to a special wall if you predict that being an issue. It seems like using entry hazzards work well if this was paired up with maybe an AV Goodra or a Blissey. You could force a lot of switches and just spam dragon tails between the 2 to rack up a lot of damage if they don't clear them. I have not tried it yet, but I currently do something similar with Avalugg and Goodra.

EDIT: I know it has no recovery, but its a beefy tank that gets SR. And there's always wish support if you really need recovery

Last edited:
While everyone says it has no recovery, it technically does in the form of Rest. If you can take 2-3 hits before going down, then Rest can keep you alive for quite a while. Rest Talk M Aggron is probably the best choice. And also, for the checks, counters, and weak points that it DOES have, you can pick teammates that cover those things, and then so long as your prediction is good, M Aggron can take everything that its teammates can't, while its teammates can take everything that it can't. It doesn't have a whole lot of weak points, so it shouldn't be too hard to center a team around it.

Well when I use aggron competitively I try not to use it as a mega. I like to make it a utility/lead pokemon - Stealth rock, thunder wave, taunt - you name it.

My move set for aggron:

EVs: 252 HP/252 defense/4 attack

- Stealth rock (Main move, aggron should usually survive a hit with the EVs above)
- Thunder wave (In case you see a potential 2HKO)
- Taunt (Stop DD Tyranitar or Dragonite)
- Dragon Tail (Switch pokemon into stealth rock)

The 4 attack EV will add damage to dragon tail. Thunder wave is amazing for crippling potential sweepers who don't need to set up. Stealth rock is obviously a main move.
Heavy Slam or Iron Head could be an option over Taunt so that Faires don't wall you.

Personally I like

Aggron @ Aggronite
Ability: Heavy Metal
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Rock Polish
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Thunder Punch

I use it as a very late game sweeper. The game is filled with physical sweepers since attacks like Earthquake, Close Combat, Aerilate Return have high power and perfect accuracy compared to moves like Thunder and Hydropump. Also the fact that Dragon Dance exists which gives physical attackers the speed and power boost they usually need to sweep while such a move doesn't exist for special attackers other than Quiver Dance which has a very limited distribution. Mega Aggron is a great anti-meta Pokemon with his amazing physical bulk. I usually send it out almost last against one of their physical Pokemon after sac'ing one of my Pokemon. I then Rock Polish while eating an Earthquake or having them switch and proceed to wreck face. At this stage in the game their Pokemon are probably low health so I can Heavy Slam to victory.

Earthquake is a great second move since it hits the Steel, Fire, and Electric types that resist Heavy Slam super effectively. I have Thunder Punch as the last move for coverage as it can hit flying types and water types SE. Would Stone Edge be better as it also hits flying types? Personally I think using Thunder Punch is better especially if you end up facing a pure water type since it has 150 power which is better than the 100 power Earthquake you would probably use in such a situation.

Edit: Although he is able to easily get setup in the face of an unboosted physical opponent he is still definitely outclassed by others megas like Charizard X, Lucario, and Pinsir. Since those guys have the natural speed and power to completely crush pokemon. A Charizard X with DD up can OHKO my Mega Aggron with Flare Blitz, SD Lucario can also OHKO with Close Combat, Pinsir 2HKOs with SD using Earthquake. Sadly you need to play as carefully as possible so you don't give Pokemon like these a chance to setup which is difficult.

Edit 2: I forgot to mention I like to use him with Latias since Latias resists anything that would hit Mega Aggron SE. I also have Healing Wish on Latias so I can bring in Aggron early then heal up any damage and statuses he might get later.

Last edited:

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
I'm not sure what to make of Mega-Aggron. On one hand, it can take any physical hit like a champion, even super effective ones, while replacing its Water weakness for a much more manageable Fire weakness. This makes Mega-Aggron an impressive tank, and with 140 Base Attack it is no slouch at fighting back.

On the other hand, Mega-Aggron needs RestTalk if it wants to take advantage of its bulk, which restricts it to a mere 2 moveslots where it would struggle to contribute. 4MSS right here. Its offensive potential is also drastically decreased than when it was regular Aggron, which had Rock Head + STAB Head Smash to break stuff in half, which means speed boosting variants of Aggron would probably be better off not going Mega when sweeping (you could try to Mega in the midst of sweeping to take a hit, but as I mentioned your offensive prowess will take a huge tumble since your former STAB now eats up your health).

Y no Study set?

Aggron@Weakness Policy
Nature: Jolly/Adamant
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Spe, 252 Atk, 4 Def
- Rock Polish
- Stone Miss
- Iron Head
- Ice Punch/Fire Punch (Fire Blast :P)

Risky set, since even after boosting its speed, Aggron will fall to priority. But it is really fun to abuse Sturdy to activate Weakness Policy. And enough space in for both STAB-Moves and a third attacking move for covarage.

The Shellder Smuggler

Banned deucer.
Y no Study set?

Aggron@Weakness Policy
Nature: Jolly/Adamant
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Spe, 252 Atk, 4 Def
- Rock Polish
- Stone Miss
- Iron Head
- Ice Punch/Fire Punch (Fire Blast :P)

Risky set, since even after boosting its speed, Aggron will fall to priority. But it is really fun to abuse Sturdy to activate Weakness Policy. And enough space in for both STAB-Moves and a third attacking move for covarage.
Oh god, why didn't I think of that.

But last time I checked Elemental punches in this gen, so I think you may have to transfer.

Rock polish + Weakness policy is also really useful, but foul play could be pretty damaging because steel was nerfed this gen.

I'm not sure what to make of Mega-Aggron. On one hand, it can take any physical hit like a champion, even super effective ones, while replacing its Water weakness for a much more manageable Fire weakness. This makes Mega-Aggron an impressive tank, and with 140 Base Attack it is no slouch at fighting back.

On the other hand, Mega-Aggron needs RestTalk if it wants to take advantage of its bulk, which restricts it to a mere 2 moveslots where it would struggle to contribute. 4MSS right here. Its offensive potential is also drastically decreased than when it was regular Aggron, which had Rock Head + STAB Head Smash to break stuff in half, which means speed boosting variants of Aggron would probably be better off not going Mega when sweeping (you could try to Mega in the midst of sweeping to take a hit, but as I mentioned your offensive prowess will take a huge tumble since your former STAB now eats up your health).
Not entirely; I were underwhelmed by a set without Rest as well as by RestTalk, too. But you can just use Rest without Sleep Talk if you have a decent Cleric. And at least in UU, there are so many great clerics (florges, chansey, granbull, gardevoir, gothitelle, etc...) that this really isn't a problem. Imho, Rest + Cleric Support is actually even better than RestTalk in UU, since Cleric Support is quite great to begin with right now. So, you might try it in OU, too.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Also, Mega Aggron is a great tank for rain offense teams, where it can wall physical Fire-types, such as Talonflame and Mega Char X, some of the biggest offensive threats atm. He also gets pseudo-STAB Aqua Tail to work with, which is great against a ton of physical attackers, such as Excadrill, Lando-T, Gliscor, Talonflame, Mamoswine, Terrakion, and Landorus. You can even forgo your Steel STAB (as Aqua Tail in rain handles most of the stuff that you would need Steel moves for, except from Fairy-types and Kyu-B) and use SR / Aqua Tail / (Thunder Wave / Roar) / Superpower. Superpower's main target is Bisharp, but it also helps against Ferrothorn, a major nuisance for rain teams, Kyurem-B, as well as discouraging Tyranitar from switching in to change the weather, as it OHKOes.

Finally, Mega Aggron in rain single handedly checks the excellent offensive combo of CB Staraptor + CB Talonflame, though i guess Skarmory can do the same in rain (though it fears SD Talonflame, even in rain).

Iv been using an attacking set recently and its been working surprisingly well

Aggron@Aggronite
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 Spe, 252 Atk, 4 Hp
Ability: Filter
-Power Up Punch
-Iron Head
-Thunder Punch
-Automize

So far its been able to safely get an automize and a punch or two up and then take out a good 2-3 members of the opposing team. It still suffers from the normal mega-aggron problem of special attacks being deadly, but its been working fairly well so far in OU (Though I know this isn't where it belongs) Any suggestions on how I could improve it?

Personally, I think you people are thinking way too much about his downsides. He has Filter, which turns any 2x damage attack into a 1.5x damage attack, and has one type. He has huge Def stats, and most pokes in the current meta are physical. He has physical steel for the popular SpDefensive fairies. He has rock type moves for fire type. He has RestTalk. He even has decent physical attack. All you really need fear is the rare special attacking fire type, or extremely powerful special attackers. He gets no items, but neither does any other mega. So is he worthless? Of course not. Just use 252 Def 252 SpDef and he'll take almost anything like a boss. (I have a tendency to exaggurate though. Just saying. I'm probably exaggurating this.)

Personally, I think you people are thinking way too much about his downsides. He has Filter, which turns any 2x damage attack into a 1.5x damage attack, and has one type. He has huge Def stats, and most pokes in the current meta are physical. He has physical steel for the popular SpDefensive fairies. He has rock type moves for fire type. He has RestTalk. He even has decent physical attack. All you really need fear is the rare special attacking fire type, or extremely powerful special attackers. He gets no items, but neither does any other mega. So is he worthless? Of course not. Just use 252 Def 252 SpDef and he'll take almost anything like a boss. (I have a tendency to exaggurate though. Just saying. I'm probably exaggurating this.)
You don't want 252 Def and 252 SpD. It isn't efficient. You want 252 HP and 252 SpD. Mega Aggron isn't bad. It's just not a great pokemon for OU. I think he'll be stellar in whatever tier he ends up, probably UU, but considering that you have to give up a mega slot to use him and there are better steel pokemon out there like Aegislash, it is hard to fit him into a team.

Ok, so maybe 252 in each defensive stat isn't the most efficient spread. But in the long run, your net damage will decrease. And while you could maximize it with fine tuning of the spread, I'm not taking the time to do that.

Edit: did some research on damage calculations in pokemon. Turns out that HP would in fact be better. So nvm

Last edited:
Ok, so maybe 252 in each defensive stat isn't the most efficient spread. But in the long run, your net damage will decrease. And while you could maximize it with fine tuning of the spread, I'm not taking the time to do that.
No, HP will always be better than defense for Mega Aggron because its defense is so high the ratio between that and the attack stat of the opponent will have hefty diminishing returns as you increase defense. Here are some calcs proving how much you lose going with Defense instead of HP. Plus you lose out on special bulk. Yes, you will be taking less HP points off, but your HP will be smaller.

252 Atk Sheer Force Darmanitan Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Filter Mega Aggron: 193-229 (56.1 - 66.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Sheer Force Darmanitan Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 252 Def Filter Mega Aggron: 171-202 (60.8 - 71.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Alakazam Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Filter Mega Aggron: 184-217 (53.4 - 63%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Alakazam Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 252 SpD Filter Mega Aggron: 184-217 (65.4 - 77.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

You are only shooting yourself in the foot with that EV spread.

Last edited:
As a rule of thumb: Unless the the HP stat is waaay higher(and I'm talking about Chansey,Blissey or Alomola - high), HP investment is always better than specific investment.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Since it's very difficult to OHKO this thing and will be going last most of the time thanks to base 50 speed, metal burst has been pretty effective for me

The Shellder Smuggler

Banned deucer.
I use aggron as a utility, so 252 def and 252 hp is what i use, which makes it's 230 defense the best for setting up. Dunno why everyone is focusing on mega aggron.

- Stealth rock
- Taunt
- Thunder wave
- Dragon tail

One of my favorite utilities/leads

i skimmed through the thread and did not see anyone mention a mega utility Aggron like this (sorry if this was mentioned):

Aggron@Aggronite
Careful
252 HP, 252 SDef, 4 Def
Sturdy (Filter)
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Dragon Tail
- Iron Head

I did not have an opportunity to test it against a live player yet (and im still super far from being pro), but i guess it may have some potential. I would either use it as a lead for sure setting of SR or as a teammate for Tyranitar: Tar sets up the sandstorm making it easier for Aggron to switch in into a special attack (preferably a resisted one), and if Tar already handles SR, it may be replaced by Taunt, Toxic, Curse or another attacking option like Earthquake or Superpower. Hippowdon may also work as a teammate of course, as long as it set ups sandstorm to ease switching Aggron in.

What do you think?

I use Dragon tail on a set that doesn't include SR, as SR is used by another one of my team mates. It sounds wierd I know, but he can still shuffle them while they take dragon tail damage. Fire blast for Ferrothorn also. This also makes People think you are not running Dragon tail since you haven't used SR. It's quite funny watching a dragon switch in and get killed or take a good deal of damage.

The Shellder Smuggler

Banned deucer.
i skimmed through the thread and did not see anyone mention a mega utility Aggron like this (sorry if this was mentioned):

Aggron@Aggronite
Careful
252 HP, 252 SDef, 4 Def
Sturdy (Filter)
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Dragon Tail
- Iron Head

I did not have an opportunity to test it against a live player yet (and im still super far from being pro), but i guess it may have some potential. I would either use it as a lead for sure setting of SR or as a teammate for Tyranitar: Tar sets up the sandstorm making it easier for Aggron to switch in into a special attack (preferably a resisted one), and if Tar already handles SR, it may be replaced by Taunt, Toxic, Curse or another attacking option like Earthquake or Superpower. Hippowdon may also work as a teammate of course, as long as it set ups sandstorm to ease switching Aggron in.

What do you think?
Same thing as I said, but switch iron head with taunt. You claimed you skipped through this thread without seeing a utility aggron, but I've posted the same set twice. Also, the mega slot isn't worth it for utility.

Same thing as I said, but switch iron head with taunt. You claimed you skipped through this thread without seeing a utility aggron, but I've posted the same set twice. Also, the mega slot isn't worth it for utility.
He did say skimmed.

Tar sets up the sandstorm making it easier for Aggron to switch in into a special attack (preferably a resisted one)
First of all, if you expect a special attack, unless its 4x damage to Tar and Aggron resists it, then keep Tar in, as he is a far superior special wall. Second, Furfrou beats everything. Third and final, my word wins. jk. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)