Alakazam

Uh, I don't think Scizor could survive HP Fire, which Alakazam will likely run in a tier riddled with that bug and Ferrothorn.
HP Fire on Alakazam is kinda terrible. It's really only there for Scizor, whereas you could carry Substitute and be able to switch out of Scizor or use it to finish off any other priority users eagerly switching in.

Sub +3 moves @free Life Orb makes for a pretty good clean-up sweeper as has been mentioned already.
Impressions from Zam's performance on PO server, so those may be unreliable.

BurningMan

fueled by beer
sub/psyshock/focus blast/shadowball is what everyones thinking? is 252 speed evs necessary too?

You could drop some EVs to outspeed base 115s, but i think its more practical to go with full investment to tie with other alakazam and dugtrio, because the few extra hp points are barely worth it.

That and Psychic > Psyshock. Blissey isn't as big enough of a deal these days to warrant Psyshock, when the loss of Psychic means you have greater difficulty against Hippowdon, Gliscor, and more.

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
Don't forget about ScarfTar at 364.

Honestly, just run 252 / 252 Timid. Alakazams bulk is awful anyway, and it already survives Mach Punches by a decent margin.

HP Fire on Alakazam is kinda terrible. It's really only there for Scizor, whereas you could carry Substitute and be able to switch out of Scizor or use it to finish off any other priority users eagerly switching in.
Ferrothorn, too? What else would you run on Zam? Substitute/Psychic/Hidden Power Fire? I mean, you could always cut Substitute because it ruins your sash, right?

You don't run Sash with Sub, you run LO + Sub / Psychic / Focus Blast / Shadow Ball.

Ferrothorn is owned by Focus Blast and Scizor can only switch into it once before it falls to any attack on the next switch in. HP Fire would have been useful if it did anything noticeable to Jirachi, but it doesn't, so it is wasteful.

You don't run Sash with Sub, you run LO + Sub / Psychic / Focus Blast / Shadow Ball.

Ferrothorn is owned by Focus Blast and Scizor can only switch into it once before it falls to any attack on the next switch in. HP Fire would have been useful if it did anything noticeable to Jirachi, but it doesn't, so it is wasteful.
Ah, and what do you run on a sash set? I was going to go Psychic/Focus Blast/Hidden Power Fire or Grass Knot/Shadow Ball!

HP Fire is a great choice. You don't have to rely on Focus Miss to take care of the large majority of things that will try their luck with Alakazam. Subs may curb the accuracy problem somewhat, but ultimately you're stuck using a shaky move against a majority of pokemon that would just die to HP Fire anyway.

HP Fire is a great choice. You don't have to rely on Focus Miss to take care of the large majority of things that will try their luck with Alakazam. Subs may curb the accuracy problem somewhat, but ultimately you're stuck using a shaky move against a majority of pokemon that would just die to HP Fire anyway.
Focus Blast is damn near necessary on 'Zam thanks to its most common switch in TTar. TTar will always come in after something dies and try to Pursuit so its better to stay in and take your chances with FB instead of instant death. IMO anyway.

I run LO, Psychic/ Psycho Shock/ Shadow Ball/ Focus Blast. It destroys.

considering the fact that TTar has no hope of outspeeding Zam, it's worth a shot to try Focus Miss, and you could always try Gravity (since DW Abras can have Gravity) to alleviate the accuracy. I think the only thing Magic Guard Zam misses is the lack of Signal Beam, since I believe all its other moves are still compatible.
Anyone think Alakazam would have been a perfect choice to get Nasty Plot this gen? CM is nice but...

Just as a note, if you guys are planning on cutting Alakazam's speed to only outspeed certain opponents, put the EVs into Defense instead of HP. Alakazam already has somewhat decent special bulk and investing in Defense is twice as efficient as investing in HP due to Alakazam's pitiful defense. This is useful since it would help Alakazam take less damage from random priority attacks, and lets be honest, were you expecting Alakazam to take any other kind of attack?

Also, have people considered running Hidden Power Electric on the 4 attack LO set? Outspeeding Bulky Gyarados at +1 and OHKOing (110.3% - 129.7%) can be VERY handy and can probably net you an unexpected kill if you switch in Alakazam as they Dragon Dance. If you run Sash, then Stealth Rock is required for a OHKO.

I remember there being a Scizor lure set in 4th gen that ran enough defense evs to survive a bullet punch + stealth rock; now that Alakazam doesn't need to worry about the stealth rock damage this should be more effective.

Unfortunately, I am seeing that he still needs 216 defense evs to survive bullet punch. Am I doing something wrong?

I remember there being a Scizor lure set in 4th gen that ran enough defense evs to survive a bullet punch + stealth rock; now that Alakazam doesn't need to worry about the stealth rock damage this should be more effective.

Unfortunately, I am seeing that he still needs 216 defense evs to survive bullet punch. Am I doing something wrong?
Trying to survive Bullet Punch is what you're doing wrong, sadly. 216 Def EVs deducts far too many points from Zam's stellar SpA, using Substitute is a better way of going about this. As a bonus, it also prevents Scizor from Pursuiting or regaining momentum with U-Turn. On top of that, lure Zam needs HP Fire to make the 216 EVs worth it in the first place, which is an inferior choice given its other options.

Also, have people considered running Hidden Power Electric on the 4 attack LO set? Outspeeding Bulky Gyarados at +1 and OHKOing (110.3% - 129.7%) can be VERY handy and can probably net you an unexpected kill if you switch in Alakazam as they Dragon Dance. If you run Sash, then Stealth Rock is required for a OHKO.
It is viable for the reason you've stated, though I doubt it would become standard. One of those "if your team needs it" type of things.

This has been answered by myself and others already (no point cutting speed and coverage when you already screw these threats over with your other moves), but note that with a Sub, Zam gets 2 chances to land Focus Blast. That's a 91% chance, and if you land it on the first hit you still have an intact Sub.

Ah, and what do you run on a sash set? I was going to go Psychic/Focus Blast/Hidden Power Fire or Grass Knot/Shadow Ball!
Sash would run Psychic / Shadow Ball / Focus Blast / Filler, basically. The first three are pretty much non-negotiable on Alakazam, while the last move is up to you. HP Electric was mentioned previously for revenging BulkyDos, I'd imagine Grass Knot could work for Gastrodon or something, and you could even run Psyshock or HP Fire if you wanted.

So... which set is the best one for this? Sash or Sub?
Sub doesn't do much that Alakazam couldn't do before... it just does it while dying slower. Sash seems like the main option, while Sub could be a secondary option mainly to take advantage of a possible free turn from an opponent thinking you have Sash.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)