Alcohol taboo?

Did I deserve to get punished for referencing alcohol in presentation?

• yes

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • no

Votes: 28 90.3%

• Total voters
Today in humanities class since it's near the end of the term we got issued a "fun" activity. We had to research a product made in China and go through the manufacturing progress. I saw a bottle of vodka made in China at the supermarket a couple of days ago and thought it would be funny to do that. I was later scolded at for involving alcohol in my presentation and told that it isn't appropriate for my age group (people in my class are 13-14)

I personally think this was bullshit but I'd like to hear Smogon's opinion.

Edit: I live in Australia if that helps the argument. Here the drinking age is 18.

Last edited:

Asek

Banned deucer.
People aged 13-14 shouldnt be drinking so I can understand perfectly well why the school was angry. I'll assume you have just started year 8 judging by the age, and people in year 8 usually dont drink, if anything they start towards the middle to end of the year when they social drink at parties (this was what happened where I live). Of course theres gonna be a taboo with alcohol inside a school considering its in the schools best interests that their students don't go out and get smashed on weekends, as it will not only result in lower grades, but if word gets out it could damage a schools reputation. Not to mention this was a humanities class....

Wait a couple of years then nobody cares

One girl in my sixth grade class did her science fair on alcohol fermentation in apple juice. She was inspired because the school cafeteria gave us bad apple juice, which apparently fermented (I don't know the exact scientific process of fermentation). She wound up getting reprimanded hard at first because she brought her science fair project, and the alcohol, on school grounds. But after she and her parents argued with administration that they served it to us, she was un-suspended, got an A, and that was that.

And yeah, being 13-14 and doing a project on alcohol out of the blue probably isn't a good idea. I'd avoid alcohol in projects until college where teachers aren't so up-tight about things like that. Not to mention, I'm sure some teachers may report such a thing to administration or police (we have a 13 year old student talking about alcohol of all things.) and that just seems like a good way to get unwanted attention.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Errr... I read stuff about rice wine (used to cook) when I was in elementary school in Hong Kong?

Then when I was around 15, I was studying biology in the UK, and in biology lesson we studied about fermentation for beer.
We even made our own beer and drank it in that class.

So, your school is so freaking hyped. There's absolutely no problem in mentioning wines and alcohols in presentation-- you didn't even bring a bottle to school.

Seriously, if it's educational, not to mention only the process, there shouldn't have been any fuss about it.

Last edited:

BenTheDemon

Banned deucer.
The American educational system is more concerned with politics than education. I'm not sure how other countries operate, so I'm not gonna speak on that.
Schools seem to live in a fantasy world where kids have never heard the word "fuck" and don't know what sex, liquor, and dildos are.
To answer your question, you should most certainly not be punished. In fact, I applaud you for disregarding controversy for an opportunity to have people learn. Learning is what school SHOULD be about, but instead it's more about punishing trivial things. When I was in Middle School, they would punish us for chewing gum, phones ringing, and mild swearing. I had accumulated 14 write-ups in my 8th grade year for swearing.

The Shellder Smuggler

Banned deucer.
This is really weird. If people are 13-14 in your class and got in trouble for mentioning alcohol, then something's a bit wrong.

A year ago, I had to make a presentation on alcohol in my health class, so idk what's happened there.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
When I was a freshman I did an oral report on Columbia with a focus on the cocaine trade. It was perfectly fine because its a real thing. What is wrong with your teacher.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
As a Russian and as a proponent of vodka, I support underage drinking of vodka as young as 9 years old.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)