All type Terrain [Stage 4: Playtesting]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ludicrousity

You humour me greatly with your arrogance and c...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Code:
  onNegateImmunity: function (pokemon, type) {
                if (pokemon.isGrounded() && pokemon.hasType('Steel') && type === 'Poison') return false;
this is incorrect for negating immunities.

Code:
onModifyMove: function(move) {
        if (target.isGrounded && move.type === 'Poison') {
            move.ignoreImmunity['Poison'] = true;
The code should be something like this, iirc Gliwick

btw, this also removes immunities to toxic as it is a poison type move.

Last edited:

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
OK I think we should 're submit ideas for the terrains that were impossible to code: Flying, Poison, Steel and Fire.
Fire's not even impossible to, just OP because it traps the foe in. I suggested above a change that could be implemented and that shouldn't be hard to code

S. Court

[Takes hits in Spanish]
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor
Name: Pollinated Terrain
Type: Bug
Message: "The battlefield became covered with dusty pollen! "
Pollination Surge: Ribombee (Instead of Shield Dust)
Z Move: Sp. Def +1
Nature Power: Pollen Puff
Secret Power:
Pollen Puff animation; 30% chance to lower target's special Defense by 1 Stage.
Effect 1: Bug-type moves from grounded Pokémon gain 50% power
Effect 2: Bullet Moves (such as those prevented by Bullet Proof) fail and instead damage the user by 1/8 their maximum HP
Learned by: Ribombee, Cutiefly, Combee, Victreebel, Lilligant, Sunflora, Venomoth, Bellosom,
Seed: Pollen Seed
Seed Effect: Special Defense +1
Competitive Use: Gives Bug-types the power they deserve, being the best Type there is, after all. Also prevents some good moves from being used for a bit, just, yknow, don't usem yourself during that time. This includes Focus Blast, Energy Ball, Seed Bomb, Gyro Ball, Sludge Bomb, and Shadow Ball. I probably missed some too. Also, in doubles, provides Pokémon with the Attack Nature Power the Power to heal their allies with Pollen Puff as well, if that matters as well.
Maybe you're quite aware of that, but Pollen Puff is actually one of the moves is nulified by Bulletproof (and by extention, by Pollinated Terrain) so, using Nature Power would be counterproductive, you might want to change this part

this is incorrect for negating immunities.
This is indeed correct, because I tested it. I suppose there might be several ways.
Toxic is a Poison-type move, but Steels don't have immunity to Toxic as a move, but to toxic status instead, don't confuse these two concepts. You can toxic ghosts with Normalize Toxic for example, because type immunity doesn't apply here. But status immunity cannot be ignored, it is clearly stated in the code:
sim/pokemon.js said:
// the game currently never ignores immunities
Corrosion is hardcoded here, in sim directory, while mods can only change the contents of data.

OK I think we should 're submit ideas for the terrains that were impossible to code: Flying, Poison, Steel and Fire.
I don't think we should resubmit Poison, because it mostly works, except a minor effect. And Fire is coded, just OP in my opinion, and its creator already fixed it by removing trapping effect. Flying and Steel might probably need resubmission though, unless someone finds a way to code them correctly.

edit: I created "All Type Terrain" room on my server, there is just an autoconfirmed modchat so you can talk here.

edit2: I think I have an idea for Corrosive Terrain, I could create a new status, which copies Poison/Toxic in every way except for immunities. But I'll have to make all abilities/moves interacting with status (Guts, Venoshock, etc) to take this new status into consideration.

edit3: finally made a git repository for this mod: https://github.com/Gliwick/alltypeterrain

Last edited:
I'm no expert on the coding side of things on Showdown, but for Gusty Terrain would it be possible to set manual speed reductions for some of the speed boosts? (i.e. If Choice Scarf is held and Embargo/Magic Room are innactive, lower speed by 33%; If the weather is rainy and the Pokémon has Swift Swim, lower speed by 50%). Would this be too tedious to code? Or would it simply not be feasable?

Also #ReviveAllTerrainThread

Glad you bought that up, once it's confirmed that all terrains are coded, we can start work giving stuff abilities that interact with the Terrains.
I'm not quite sure what you are waiting for, since all of them except Steelstrewn's second effect and minor effects of Gusty and Corrosive are coded.

I'm not sure if Steelstrewn's second effect is even codable. If it is codable though, then I'm worried about it being highly imbalanced, I mean trapping is deemed uncompetitive in many formats, and giving Pursuit-like effect to every move is scary, so I suggest choosing another one anyway. Of course that's for you to decide.

For Gusty terrain, its effect is too vague. I mean, you can't cancel Trick room only for airborne Pokemon, that's nonsense, and Lagging Tail, Custap Berry, Quash and After You don't even affect speed. Cancelling all other speed-changing effects cannot be done without outright changing code of every single one of these effects, which is not a good sign, so I had to limit this to prevent raising/lowering speed stat stages. If someone does code this for every speed-changing item and ability, I will implement it, but I don't consider this a good sign IMO, all effects should be simple.

And as for Corrosive terrain, ignoring toxic status is impossible due to mod limitations. I'm absolutely sure of it, because it's written right in the code: "the game currently never ignores immunities" (meaning status immunities, not type immunities), and Corrosion ability is hardcoded in the simulator itself, which is unchangeable by mods. Poison-type moves do ignore immunity though, so I believe that's enough for Corrosive terrain.

Having said that, I planned to host a test tour next weekend, and I'm concerned about some terrain effects being unbalanced or inconsistent, but I'm not sure if such suggestions and criticism would be welcome now.

Name: Metallic Terrain
Type: Steel
Message: "The battlefield got covered with a metallic floor"
Metallic Surge: Registeel
Z Move: Speed +1
Nature Power: Flash Cannon
Secret Power: Iron Head animation; 30% chance to flinch
Effect 1: Steel-type moves from grounded Pokémon gain 50% power
Effect 2: Grounded Pokémon cannot have their stats lowered (similar to Clear Body)
Learned by: Magnemite, Magneton, Forretress, Steelix, Scizor, Aron, Lairon, Aggron, Beldum, Metang, Metagross, Registeel, Jirachi, Empoleon, Shieldon, Bastiodon, Bronzor, Bronzong, Magnezone, Probopass, Heatran, Dialga, Excadrill, Shlemet, Escavalier, Ferroseed, Ferrothorn, Klink, Klang, Klinklang, Durant, Cobalion, Genesect, Honedge, Doublade, Aegislash, Klefki, Togedemaru, Solgaleo, Kartana, Celesteela, Magearna
Seed: Metallic Seed
Seed Effect: Defense +1
Competitive Use: Gives Registeel a notorious niche in the meta, and allow it to form powerful Steel Spam cores with Pokémon like Mega Metagross, Mega Mawile, Heatran and Magnezone.

Name: Frosty Terrain
Type: Ice
Metallic Surge: Regice
Z Move: Special Attack +1
Nature Power: Ice Beam
Secret Power: Ice Punch animation; 30% chance to freeze
Effect 1: Ice-type moves from grounded Pokémon gain 50% power
Effect 2: Grounded Pokémon cannot use Water-type moves except for Scald (since the water would freeze)
Learned by: WIP
Seed: Frosty Seed
Competitive Use: Gives a reason for people to use Ice Spam teams, Pokémon like Kyurem-Black, Weavile and Mamoswine would be unstopabble under such terrain.

Name: Rocky Terrain
Type: Rock
Metallic Surge: Registeel
Z Move: Attack +1
Nature Power: Power Gem
Secret Power: Head Smash animation; 30% chance to flinch
Effect 1: Rock-type moves from grounded Pokémon gain 50% power
Effect 2: Grounded Pokémon have their accuracy increased by 33%
Learned by: WIP
Seed: Rocky Seed
Competitive Use: Gives reliablity to Rock-types, since missing Stone Edge is always annoying, and allows Regirock to shine as the Tank it was always meant to be
I just realized Frosty Terrain blocks Steam Eruption, could that possibly be changed too so it isn't blocked by the Terrain? or is it too late for that?

I just realized Frosty Terrain blocks Steam Eruption, could that possibly be changed too so it isn't blocked by the Terrain? or is it too late for that?
I believe that would be a logical small fix. It doesn't change the premise of Frosty Terrain after all.

Edit: Also, I'd like announce an online test tour at Dec 16th (Saturday), 3 PM GMT. It'll be a 5 round Swiss tour.
I may tweak time an hour earlier or later, I'm just not sure which time is preferable here at Smogon. I'm also inviting guys from my server to participate.
Server: http://pokeliga.psim.us/

Last edited:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11Ljklc5tIxRmCQN7Z_JkPmG6T2heDb4OBtLLljudXQ8/edit?usp=sharing
Here is a table with all Terrain effects, you should probably add it to second post ChrystalFalchion (sorry idk how to tag here)
Tell me if something's wrong

Edit: almost forgot, I believe that for testing purposes it would be better to make one Surge Pokemon in a team obligatory. What do you think?
I will definitely add the table to the OP, thanks for doing that. I don't think it would be necessary to make one Surge Pokemon mandatory - I think people will be keen to try them out.

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Is resubmission of terrains that are hard to code still on the table? I'd like a group of competitively-geared Pet Mods to have some semblance of completion for something I have thought up.

I also generally have ideas I wish to share.

I added lists of Pokemon with terrain moves to the table. I only left fully-evolved ones (+Chansey and Doublade) so it wouldn't be too messy.

Doubleposting because it's important.

The tour has ended. Noone from here came, was the time inconvinient? We could have arranged another. Overall, I find the lack of activity
in this mod kinda disappointing.
Well, I still had some guys from my server, but quality of the replays could probably be better.
Overall, I found format interesting, You have to keep track of terrain wars, and some OP tactics can be prevented by simply switching in your Surge user. It made hard to use terrains to support non-Surge Pokemon though, and some effects and tactics remained unused.

So, the points to address:
1) Seeds that boost attacking stats, especially Seed Lucha. There aren't any original seeds that boost attacking stats, and there's a reason to it. Fiery and Steelstrewn give attack boost, and Chakra gives crit boost (which is more managable since crit chance is still 50%). It's basically a free Choice item, and is even worse with Unburden.
It didn't quite work in practice though, and I'm not sure if that's because of poor plays/hax or not. Here Luha was Toxic'd early and HJK missed, and here it lost to priority (it would sweep though if Lucha came after rain stopped). It worked once, but only because my opp made a mistake with Mimikyu switch-in. It would have swept anyway without Mimikyu in his team though.
Regal Seed, which gives SpA boost, wasn't tested but I see a potential abuser in Ashninja.
Gusty and Submerged Seeds, which give Speed boost, weren't tested either (I tried Submerged Thundurus-T, but it never activated), but theoretically it's similar to Speed Pass, which was quite problematic bevause it can make any powerful Pokemon exceptionally fast.
My suggestion is to change Seeds that give Attack boost, and to further test Sp.Attak/Speed/Crit Seeds.
Edit: here are Crit Unburden Sceptile replays too
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pokeliga-gen7alltypeterrain-24649
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pokeliga-gen7alltypeterrain-24644

2) Aquatic Terrain. This is outright OP, it's basically Rain + Swift Swim for every grounded Water-type in the party. Even if terrain wars are intense, every time Wailord comes, something will die to Water Spout or Hydro Pump. Here are replays:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pokeliga-gen7alltypeterrain-24636
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pokeliga-gen7alltypeterrain-24654
It's even worse that you can stack it with rain for x2.25 boost. Fiery Terrain doesn't suffer the same issue since there aren't any fast Fire types besides Salazzle, and Sun setters aren't particulary good either (except CharY, but it isn't grounded and can't hold Heat Rock).
I don't really see how we can change this terrain while retaining its premise, since it's basically Rain 2.0. I suggest to take another Water-type terrain submission. We don't really need to resubmit, why not just take the second most voted?

3) Steelstrewn Terrain. We need to either change its second effect or take another submission, since it doesn't seem like anyone else is going to code it. I think I found a good solution without changing its premise: to give all grounded Pokemon a pseudo-Stakeout effect, but only 30% boost, so it would still punish switches, but not to a ridiculous level.

4) Unused terrains. Noone used Murky, Regal and Gusty ones. Regal Terrain in this list is a mystery for me, it seems pretty good, maybe we need another Surge user? But Murky and Cloudy are pretty disappointing. Murky has useful effect, but it doesn't help your team as much as it messes with your opponent, which is situational. Cloudy has a good idea of preventing speed control, but it can't really do this when it's limited to only affect airborne Pokemon.
I suggest to take another Flying-type terrain submission. As for others, they don't really seem bad.

5) A small nitpick, but when it comes to deciding wether to affect grounded attacker or a grounded defender, original terrains always benefit grounded Pokemon. So I believe Regal and Corrosive terrains should ignore immunities if an attacker is grounded, not a defender; and Frosty terrain should protect grounded Pokemon from Water-type moves, not to prevent grounded Pokemon from using those moves.

6) Even smaller nitpick, but I believe that Terrain/Surge/Seed names should all be the same so that it would be easier for new players. Bug, Fire and Water type Terrains/Surges/Seeds have different names, I suggest to unify this: Pollen for Bug, Fiery for Fire and Aquatic for Water.

7) Another small nitpick, I think we should remove non-grounded Pokemon from those who can use Terrain moves.

8) This wasn't a problem in tour, but Fiery terrain should probably damage for 1/16 full HP similar to damaging weathers, not 1/8. Still, it didn't feel OP so I don't find this change obligatory.

That's all for my part. I wish this thread was more active, I really liked this mod.
I have some ATT teams now, so you can challenge me on my server.

9) Edit: you can search all replays by format's name: gen7alltypeterrain

Last edited:
Shit! Completely forgot about it! I'm really sorry :(
1) Seeds that boost attacking stats, especially Seed Lucha. There aren't any original seeds that boost attacking stats, and there's a reason to it. Fiery and Steelstrewn give attack boost, and Chakra gives crit boost (which is more managable since crit chance is still 50%). It's basically a free Choice item, and is even worse with Unburden.
It didn't quite work in practice though, and I'm not sure if that's because of poor plays/hax or not. Here Luha was Toxic'd early and HJK missed, and here it lost to priority (it would sweep though if Lucha came after rain stopped). It worked once, but only because my opp made a mistake with Mimikyu switch-in. It would have swept without Mimikyu in his team though.
Regal Seed, which gives SpA boost, it wasn't tested but I see a potential abuser in Ashninja.
Gusty and Submerged Seeds, which give Speed boost, weren't tested either (I tried Submerged Thundurus-T, but it never activated), but theoretically it's similar to Speed Pass, which was quite problematic bevause it can make any powerful Pokemon exceptionally fast.
My suggestion is to change Seeds that give Attack boost, and to further test Sp.Attak/Speed/Crit Seeds.
Completely agree with this! This is the esact reason as to why I (and GF as well) made all my Seeds Def or SpD boosting. I think SpA ones fall on the same vein so I'm kind of iffy on it.
2) Aquatic Terrain. This is outright OP, it's basically Rain + Swift Swim for every grounded Water-type in the party. Even if terrain wars are intense, every time Wailord comes, something will die to Water Spout or Hydro Pump. Here are replays:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pokeliga-gen7alltypeterrain-24636
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pokeliga-gen7alltypeterrain-24654
It's even worse that you can stack it with rain for x2.25 boost. Fiery Terrain doesn't suffer the same issue since there aren't any fast Fire types besides Salazzle, and Sun setters aren't particulary good either (except CharY, but it isn't grounded).
I don't really see how we can change this terrain while retaining its premise, since it's basically Rain 2.0. I suggest to take another Water-type terrain submission. We don't really need to resubmit, why not just take the second most voted?
I agree with this issue as well. Aquatic Terrain was clearly broken, I'm pretty sure I even made a post addressing it.
3) Steelstrewn Terrain. We need to either change its second effect or take another submission, since it doesn't seem like anyone else is going to code it. I think I found a good solution without changing its premise: to give all grounded Pokemon a pseudo-Stakeout effect, but only 30% boost, so it would still punish switches, but not to a ridiculous level.
Really think this was the smartest solution, support this option.
4) Unused terrains. Noone used Murky, Regal and Cloudy ones. Regal Terrain in this list is a mystery for me, it seems pretty good, maybe we need another Surge user? But Murky and Cloudy are pretty disappointing. Murky has useful effect, but it doesn't help your team as much as it messes with your opponent, which is situational. Cloudy has a good idea of preventing speed control, but it can't really do this when it's limited to only affect airborne Pokemon.

I suggest to take another Flying-type terrain submission. As for others, they don't really seem bad.
Yeah Murky seems pretty mediocre. But Cloudy actually looks pretty good as well making some type of Stall or Balance with it doesn't sound bad at all. As for the Flying one it does seem pretty weird, specially since it apparently helps grounded Pokémon, which is very weird imo.
5) A small nitpick, but when it comes to deciding wether to affect grounded attacker or a grounded defender, original terrains always benefit grounded Pokemon. So I believe Regal and Corrosive terrains should ignore immunities if an attacker is grounded, not a defender; and Frosty terrain should protect grounded Pokemon from Water-type moves, not to prevent grounded Pokemon from using those moves.
My choice on Corrosive was more flavor-based, I imagine the terrain corroding Steel, so if the Steel-type is levitating it wouldn't be corroded, you know what I mean?
6) Even smaller nitpick, but I believe that Terrain/Surge/Seed names should all be the same so that it would be easier for new players. Bug, Fire and Water type Terrains/Surges/Seeds have different names, I suggest to unify this: Pollen for Bug, Fiery for Fire and Aquatic for Water.
agreed.
7) Another small nitpick, I think we should remove non-grounded Pokemon from those who can use Terrain moves.
agreed as well.
8) This wasn't a problem in tour, but Fiery terrain should probably damage for 1/16 full HP similar to damaging weathers, not 1/8. Still, it didn't feel like OP so I don't find this change obligatory.
Agreed, I'd also like to add that I don't think Fiery Terrain should stack with sun, sure getting both up is difficult af, but like 2.25x boost? Really?!
9) Edit: you can search all replays by format's name: gen7alltypeterrain
I definitely will try to make up for missing the tour!

Yeah Murky seems pretty mediocre. But Cloudy actually looks pretty good as well making some type of Stall or Balance with it doesn't sound bad at all.
Oops sorry, I meant Gusty, not Cloudy

Edit: can't get used to no doubleposting ><
My choice on Corrosive was more flavor-based, I imagine the terrain corroding Steel, so if the Steel-type is levitating it wouldn't be corroded, you know what I mean?
Well, you're right, it's probably better to leave it like that for flavour reasons.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)