AAA Almost Any Ability

Man, this is just a big Waste of time, Why tiers, Pokemon was made to be fun, using the ones you most like, I mean, I can use a terrakion if I want to, same to darkrai, they are still easily beaten! This thing of tiers is something that totally boils my blood, playing with friends is impossible thanks to this organization, tbh Terrakion is awesome as it is, but scald it and it transforms onto a waste of space.

Don't ban Terrakion, don't be silly.
Just because you like him , we can't ban it . This pokemon have no switch in and one shot the majority of the offense mom.
Noone stay versus a mom you can't one shot

RNGIsFatal

Banned deucer.
Although I might not be good / dedicated enough to achieve 2700 COIL, I would say Terrakion is clearly a banworthy threat that should be caged.
Actually never mind

upload_2017-10-3_11-4-25.png

upload_2017-10-3_11-5-15.png

Gonna vote

uh

Ban

That puppy forced me to carry Intimidate Gligar and Magic Bounce Buzzwole every game

Tinted Lens + Choice Band ct sometimes killed my Buzzwole

And one psychopath had Refrigerate Terrakion to ct Gligar and Hippowdon

Anyways I already made a reasoning so I guess I'm out

Shoutouts go Laxpras and Jrdn for Water Absorb Nihilego because that set is goat as fuck

Also thanks motherlove for making me play like 6 additional games by needlessly laddering after getting reqs. Well outsides that he left some general comments on my team so I will thank for that too

Yay I posted my scrub team I used for laddering and now I feel a little better about myself

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Ok I played about 15 games and I gotta say... why is it Terrakion being suspected and not Adaptability? This ability is just absolutely insane, slap it on anything offensive and it turns into this unwallable fucking beast of a Pokemon. Garchomp, Scizor, Terrakion, just about any Pokemon appreciates this and it honestly puts them at a next level. Terrakion isn't the only abuser of this, at all.

Ok I played about 15 games and I gotta say... why is it Terrakion being suspected and not Adaptability? This ability is just absolutely insane, slap it on anything offensive and it turns into this unwallable fucking beast of a Pokemon. Garchomp, Scizor, Terrakion, just about any Pokemon appreciates this and it honestly puts them at a next level. Terrakion isn't the only abuser of this, at all.
The reason is is that while many other adaptability mons are very good, Terrakion is far and away the best. Garchomp and scizor, to use your examples, lack the stab combination, the unwallability, and the speed tier that just makes terrakion so potent.

The Official Glyx

Banned deucer.
Quick reminder that Mamoswine, Terrakion, Keldeo, Bisharp, Weavile(?), and others who I cannot remember were all banned last generation for their use of Adaptability and/or Tough Claws, and that currently, a good 20 of the 80 mons listed in the current vr have Adaptability listed as a viable ability. A good chunk of which are highly relevant and centralizing threats in the current metagame (Mamoswine, Weavile, Keldeo already got re-banned, Muk, and apparently Bisharp is A- in the vr? Not bad for something used so infrequently).

It can be at least said that Adaptability as a whole is centralizing, but whether that is enough for a full-blown suspect is up to the council/leader/TI/Whatever AAA has.

Laxpras

One small yeet for man, one giant yeet for mankind
AAA is inherently an ability metagame. We will always prefer banning Pokemon over abilities.
An ability is deemed banworthy when we believe that the ability itself is the issue, and that a disproportionate amount of users become "broken" with the ability. While this is somewhat of a subjective standard, there is no objective way to go about it.

Comparing Adaptability and Speed Boost as an example shows where we come from. Speed Boost essentially makes any Pokemon with access to Swords Dance or Nasty Plot "broken." The ability allowed for set up mons, the easiest way to beat defensive teams, also thrive against offensive teams. There was little counterplay, essentially just priority, so the ability itself was deemed the problem.
Adaptability does not make any user, even the hardest hitting ones, broken. Tyranitar is devastating, for example, and can OHKO much of the meta and even gets Pursuit access with great bulk. Few would call Tyranitar broken though.
Keldeo was broken because of the pokemon, not the ability. Access to Secret Sword made it essentially a mixed attacker, and its speed put it over the top, as may be the same with Terrakion.

Someone would have to make a hell of a good argument, much more than complaining "look at all these 'broken' mons" to get an ability banned, as the point of the meta is to use different abilities.

As a side note, I would personally want much of the Pokemon that were banned in Gen6 banned right now. The leadership at the beginning of this gen is the reason why so much was allowed, not me/current council. We can only take on so much at a time, it is far too late to go about quick banning things.

What was probably the best om suspect test ive been part of (ladder activity wise) ended in quite dramatic fashion! I won a match expecting to have finally got reqs..... only to find out that I had exactly 2699 elo..... which naturally caused me to get very nervous indeed, as I really didnt want to choke and have to play 5 more games ngl. So..... I hit the dreaded search button, got a match, looked at the username of my opponent, and saw that it was none other than...........
Laxpras ! Fate does indeed have a cruel sense of humour it would seem.

Anyways, nobody has time for my overly dramatised stories, despite being matched up against arguably the best aaa player of all time in my search for 1 goddam elo, I managed to snag myself a win cos I had like the best matchup ever lol. I was gonna save this for the last reqs post, but then I just remembered the kartana suspect test, when I was one of the first to get reqs, and then never got to post cos I went out with my family on the final day and missed the deadline, so yeah dont want to do that again.

Finally, to wrap up my excessively long post, I thought I would drop my team that I used to get reqs. This team has had an absolute rollercoaster of a lifetime ngl. It started off as a CLC team with: Gengar, Kartana, Terrak, Fini, Tran, and Golis. After the clc (which was Tran + Golis) i swapped golis for minior and found that it quickly became my most consistent team in aaa, as it really was pure HO threatspam with a niche tran regen set instead of the typical magearna. I used it with quite good success in tours including OMGS. However all good things come to an end, and the kartana which was so crucial to the team was banned for obvious reasons. Still, the team persevered, and hoopa replaced band tinted kart as a slightly less good, but still dangerous wallbreaker. The team was still scary, and still one of my best teams, and i laddered to 1st on the ladder with ease when using it. I liked the team so much that I decided to finally put effort into an rmt again, and made my second ever rmt! I spent 2 days on it, and even recruited artwork from both torkool (forgot their smogon) and ScarfWynaut, both of which produced masterpieces. I was even hopeful of breaking teh official tiers' stranglehold on the rmt of the week! However, the one thing I was missing was proof that I was top of the ladder, because I was on holiday and the hoopa-u suspect test was going on so I didnt have access to the old aaa ladder where i was top with like 89.8% gxe. I regret not posting the rmt tbh, i shoulda just said that ill get proof later, but sadly I didnt, and when i finally came back home, hoopa-u was already banned and my rmt was pointless. Anyways, with the hoopa-u ban, my team was really just a shadow of its former glory. With kart it was a really really scary team, with hoopa it was still scary.... but with my new replacement in band tinted buzzwole..... well it wasnt the same. Buzz is still scary af dont get me wrong, but the issue is that it struggles to 2kho fini, and other bulkier mons that hoopa and kart would break with ease, purely cos of the attack drops due to superpower (oh and the lower attack in general). Mons like zap can switch in and roost stall it, and defensive mag doesnt even get 2kho'd either. It still is ok i guess, but the team now relies far more heavily on pivoting smartly between fini and tran to force a situation in which minior can win, and teams with intimidate hippowdown kinda just win where they wouldnt have in the past. Either way, the team still got reqs ridiculously easy, cos between minior and terrak and buzz you really shouldnt have a problem laddering, so even though it saddens me to think that just a few months ago I spent 2 days making an rmt for this team - buzz, and now im just pasting it with one paragraph of minor explanation, with terrak literally about to get banned there is really no point in me hanging on to this. I see no good enough alternative to terrak for this team, nothing else has the same ability to both provide speed control, and pressure with their STAB moves as much as terrak, so in 4 days I wouldnt really use this team ever, so if anyone wants reqs feel free to use this team i guess.
Gengar @ Focus Sash
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hypnosis
- Focus Blast
- Hex
- Sludge Bomb

Minior @ Focus Sash
Ability: Dazzling
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Acrobatics

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Adaptability
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Sacred Sword

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Scald
- Defog
- Haze

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Flash Cannon

Buzzwole @ Choice Band
Ability: Tinted Lens
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 200 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Superpower
- Leech Life
- Ice Punch
- Toxic

Gengar is the usual lead, cos with sash hypno it usually puts something to sleep and can pressure with hex/focus blast. Try not to burn sash unnecessarily, its sash can also be incredibly useful late game in stopping sweeps if you can keep it and keep rocks off. Fini and Tran are the defensive regen pair core. Fini is the main zygarde check, and between fini and tran you can really stop any bulky ph mon p easily. For example, cm suicune really cant break through, cos fini just hazes everytime it sets up, and when it gets low on health, you just switch into tran (which doesnt even get 3kho'd by scald incidently). So yeah i really like that core, cos it can set and remove rocks while checking a lot of bulky setup sweepers really well, but the key is patience with them, cos they dont break through much, its more of a pp stall kinda situation (unless its like zygarde in which case moonblast does break through it). Minior is a self explanatory wincon ss sweeper, its the wincon in most games if you weaken the walls and get rid of any unaware mons or bulky intim mons by baiting with like terrak and buzz. Terrak is speed control that also hits everything like a truck, as its being suspected im assuming you know what it does. Buzz is the tinted mon on the team that is used to wallbreak. Toxic is for hippo, so that you at least have a chance of breaking it, also its useful in general for unaware mons which wall minior. The whole point of buzz quite simply, is to body the minior answers so that theyr either too low to wall, or just dead. People didnt use to expect band tinted buzz, cos ff was the usual set, but ever since the hoopa ban its become far more popular partly cos of me using it on like all my teams lol, so the surprise factor is definitely less. However it still does its job moderately well, as the switchins for it are usually the same mons that are there to wall minior. Anyways, hope u like this third, much worse, version of my original team for the 4 days more that it lasts!

Oh I forgot to vote LMFAO. uh... just ban it already imo. Even with the aegi unban, it really has no business being in the meta with adapt giving it such powerful and practically unresisted stab. Forces so many damn 50/50's, and if you win just one of them youve practically won the game which is dumb af. Its literally either run duoblade/aegi, or face a game deciding 50/50 everytime it comes in.

E: it seems I've forgotten how to vote, as I haven't attached proof, I shall do so tomorrow morning cos I cba to get out of bed, in the meantime I guess marvel in my stupidity

E: finally remembered to attach proof (not that this really even matters, terrak is getting banned even if my vote is void lol, nothings stopping that at this point which is good) I am an idiot is the only logical conclusion i guess.
2017-10-07_1233.png

Last edited:
Saw that there was a suspect ladder for aaa, having never played the tier before I picked the first sample team, happened to have terrak, and that was the only reason I managed to get reqs
11/10 "terrak is healthy"
Ban
https://prnt.sc/gun0r5

I'm a little bored, so here are some sets from me:

Snorlax @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
IVs: 0 Spe
- Curse
- Facade
- Toxic
- Substitute / Toxic

This thing is a tank, with being unable to get any negative status effect, and +12 HP every round, Poison Heal Snorlax doesn't need recover. With Facade on Snorlax, it is a move with 140 based power (because of Snorlax's Toxic status), plus STAB which makes Facade a monster that is able to break other walls. Curse makes Snorlax tankier, and for the last option you can do either Substitute or Toxic.
Snorlax can get destroyed by Mold Breaker and Knock Off, but Mold Breaker is the biggest threat.

Heliolisk @ Life Orb / Focus Sash
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Electrify
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch / Surf
- Glare

I'm sure i saw a couple of these on the metagame, and trust me, they were annoying. Electrify with Lightning Rod just makes Heliolisk an annoying stall mon that sets up without even setting up itself. When Heliolisk has enough SpA stats up, it spams Thunderbolt and Glare that sweeps your entire team. The only thing that can counter this is a ground-type (unless Heliolisk doesn't have surf) or Mold Breaker (but mold breaker won't stop Heliolisk when it is already set up).

Victini @ Normalium Z
Ability: Desolate Land
Timid Nature
- Celebrate
- Searing Shot / Blue Flare
- Focus Blast
- Stored Power

I use Z-Celebrate Victini on Over Used, but now with Desolate Land in AAA it is much better. Desolate Land provides coverage for Victini to water types, and boosts fire-type moves (i think?). Z-Celebrate boosts all of Victini's stats and makes Stored Power OP, and makes all of Victini's moves boosted. You can use either Searing Shot for more accuracy or Blue Flare for extra power, idc which you choose, it really doesn't make a difference. And what's Focus Blast for? Those FREAKING greninjas, DUH!! I'm kidding, Focus Blast is for Dark, Steel, Rock, and Ice types like Tyranitar, Bisharp, and Weavile.

Barbaracle @ White Herb
Ability: Unburden
Timid Nature
- Razor Shell
- Stone Edge
- Shell Smash
- Cross Chop

Okay, this might be a little weird. But by far the best Shell Smash user is Barbaracle because Barbaracle has great Attack, Defence, and HP stats that are all balanced. Unlike Cloyster with just full defence and no other great stats whatsoever, and almost all Cloyster's stats are beaten by Barbaracle except for just Defence. Barbaracle's Unburden speed and boosted stats makes Barbaracle a decent sweeper with STAB stone edge and razor shell that destroys the opponent. Cross Chop's high crit chance is also great for wallbreaking. Please reply to me for any improvements on this experiment set.

I'm a little bored, so here are some sets from me:

Snorlax @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
IVs: 0 Spe
- Curse
- Facade
- Toxic
- Substitute / Toxic

This thing is a tank, with being unable to get any negative status effect, and +12 HP every round, Poison Heal Snorlax doesn't need recover. With Facade on Snorlax, it is a move with 140 based power (because of Snorlax's Toxic status), plus STAB which makes Facade a monster that is able to break other walls. Curse makes Snorlax tankier, and for the last option you can do either Substitute or Toxic.
Snorlax can get destroyed by Mold Breaker and Knock Off, but Mold Breaker is the biggest threat.

Heliolisk @ Life Orb / Focus Sash
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
- Electrify
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch / Surf
- Glare

I'm sure i saw a couple of these on the metagame, and trust me, they were annoying. Electrify with Lightning Rod just makes Heliolisk an annoying stall mon that sets up without even setting up itself. When Heliolisk has enough SpA stats up, it spams Thunderbolt and Glare that sweeps your entire team. The only thing that can counter this is a ground-type (unless Heliolisk doesn't have surf) or Mold Breaker (but mold breaker won't stop Heliolisk when it is already set up).

Victini @ Normalium Z
Ability: Desolate Land
Timid Nature
- Celebrate
- Searing Shot / Blue Flare
- Focus Blast
- Stored Power

I use Z-Celebrate Victini on Over Used, but now with Desolate Land in AAA it is much better. Desolate Land provides coverage for Victini to water types, and boosts fire-type moves (i think?). Z-Celebrate boosts all of Victini's stats and makes Stored Power OP, and makes all of Victini's moves boosted. You can use either Searing Shot for more accuracy or Blue Flare for extra power, idc which you choose, it really doesn't make a difference. And what's Focus Blast for? Those FREAKING greninjas, DUH!! I'm kidding, Focus Blast is for Dark, Steel, Rock, and Ice types like Tyranitar, Bisharp, and Weavile.

Barbaracle @ White Herb
Ability: Unburden
Timid Nature
- Razor Shell
- Stone Edge
- Shell Smash
- Cross Chop

Okay, this might be a little weird. But by far the best Shell Smash user is Barbaracle because Barbaracle has great Attack, Defence, and HP stats that are all balanced. Unlike Cloyster with just full defence and no other great stats whatsoever, and almost all Cloyster's stats are beaten by Barbaracle except for just Defence. Barbaracle's Unburden speed and boosted stats makes Barbaracle a decent sweeper with STAB stone edge and razor shell that destroys the opponent. Cross Chop's high crit chance is also great for wallbreaking. Please reply to me for any improvements on this experiment set.
Just some advice. Lax needs protect to be able to get good recovery from poison heal, making it mandatory. I guess toxic sounds like a decent lure for Unaware mons, but without the coverage of Crunch/EQ you still can't pull off a sweep so i don't see much of a point. Sub is also a bad idea as it cuts into your health when you don't really have good recovery.
Unburden with Shell Smash is also quite unnecessary and redundant, it would be better off using Dazzling, Adapt, or Mold Breaker. If you want to try out an Unburden sweeper try a Belly Drummer.

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
I'm late to the party

Ban
TL;DR: Too strong cause of impeccable STAB coverage. Only counter is Doublade and Aegislash as it can beat its other checks though either SD Rockium or just Toxic them and wear them down repeatedly throughout the match (which really isn't that hard)

Sharing team I got reqs with while im at it:

http://pokepast.es/6f6407aaf40a69a3

Veil HO team that put in a lot of work for me. Mew is Veil and SR setter and does a pretty good job at it thanks to its great natural bulk and pretty high Speed. Wanted to try out an offensive Double Dance Magearna set and I decided on this set (with the help of Mlove), as it can break past most walls and deals with Maggies usual checks in Ferrothorn and other RegenVest Magearnas. Standard Double Dance Zygarde with Magic Bounce to bypass Defog deterring Veil and hazards. No Guard Xukitree is to break offense and generally sweep lategame cause its broken. Taunt Mega Gyarados is to break stall. Conkeldurr also helps with the offense matchup and also works really well under veil due to how fat it gets. Desolate Land Victini is annoying especially since Mew can't set up veil against it but besides that this team is pretty solid and definitely feel can be added to samples.

Last edited:
Just some advice. Lax needs protect to be able to get good recovery from poison heal, making it mandatory. I guess toxic sounds like a decent lure for Unaware mons, but without the coverage of Crunch/EQ you still can't pull off a sweep so i don't see much of a point. Sub is also a bad idea as it cuts into your health when you don't really have good recovery.
Unburden with Shell Smash is also quite unnecessary and redundant, it would be better off using Dazzling, Adapt, or Mold Breaker. If you want to try out an Unburden sweeper try a Belly Drummer.
Thanks dude! I will note that XD

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
confirming as gay deerling

BAN

I'm not typically a fan of OMs honestly cuz they're usually too gimmicky for my liking but AAA is simple enough to let me play and actually enjoy it unlike many other OMs I tried to play. It still has the randomness factor in that you'd come up against something like Flash Fire Skarmory or Levitate Magearna and that'd stop a planned sweep from your wincon or something like that but eh, could be my own fault for not scouting, and it's the risk of running an offense team to begin with. Anyway, that being said, I used a team with two adaptability users: Garchomp and Terrakion (shoutouts GL Volkner for providing the team), former had was SD/SR with z-outrage and EQ and latter was your standard scarf Terrakion. And like I said in a previous post of mine here imo the problem is moreso Adaptability than anything else, in all the games I played, Garchomp was only useless in one of them, vs a mono-fairy team that had 4 tapus + magearna and mawile lol. All other games he always ended up setting stealth rock, and either using SD + z-outrage to OHKO something (it doesn't matter what; I've OHKO'd poison heal suicune which I assume is the bulkiest thing I faced on the ladder, and did like 70% to skarm/cele), or straight up use devastating drake and drop something. A Pokemon that can set up SR while still functioning as one of the scariest wallbreakers there is.. bruh, there's something wrong with that. Terrakion with a scarf was a really really good backup plan though, like the team would use Garchomp to set up SR and weaken something, then have 2 mons that can also function as wallbreakers or sweepers considering their power and speed (primordial sea rapid spin starmie + pixilate banded koko), and 2 set up sweepers in DazzlingSmash Minior and SD Triage Golisopod, and then IF those Pokemon don't win on their own scarf Terrakion would wrap things up against anything not +2 speed already or has a priority that can somehow OHKO it. It was always consistent cuz of the great speed tier for a scarf and the fact that adaptability-boosted Close Combat is fucking nuts. I like that about it and feel like it might be a bit too much, but I haven't used any other set so I can't judge that.

With all that being said I feel like adaptability is the main problem here and could maybe need dealing with, but if the general banning/suspecting policy is that you guys wanna target specific mons instead of the actual ability then that's kinda understandable and fair enough. For now though Terrakion is too good and I'll be voting to ban.

proof
upload_2017-10-12_0-33-34.png

upload_2017-10-12_0-35-33.png

rather than just terrak itself, i think adaptability is the problem. i ran dual adapt mons in scarf terrak alongside sd sr dragonium chomp, and the latter ended up putting in just as much, if not more work than terrak. adapt mons just plow through everything. the -ate abilities are also stupid good and suspect worthy imo. as for terrak, this mon is nowhere near balanced. adapt with rock/fighting stab is almost impossible to switch into. this, aided by a great speed tier, makes it broken.
ban

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)