Almost Any Ability XY (Suspect Over: Weavile banned, Keldeo Stays)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
approved by Arcticblast, most base content/wording token from gen 5 thread

art by Andrew ^_^

What Is AAA?
Almost Any Ability OU is what it might imply: it's a variation of the OverUsed tier where any Pokemon can have almost any ability! They are still bound to their movesets, typing, and still must follow the EV restrictions. Ubers are banned, just like in regular OU; being able to have any ability is the only thing that changes. You'd be surprised (or not, seeing Balanced Hackmons exists), however, at how interesting and creative people can be in such a tier.

Banlist
But with every tier comes bans, so here are the forbidden ones:
Weavile, Aerilate, Ubers, Kyurem-Black, Slaking, Simple, Regigigas, Archeops, Prankster Smeargle, Contrary, Fur Coat, Huge Power & Pure Power, Speed Boost, Imposter, Sturdy Shedinja, Shadow Tag & Arena Trap, Parental Bond and last but definitely not least Wonder Guard
Everything else, though, is up for your wild imagination to contemplate. And, yes, Drizzle and Swift Swim are legal here. (STANDARD OU CLAUSES ARE IN EFFECT)

Examples of good sets

Staraptor @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 Atk /4 Def/ 252 Spe
Nature: Adamant or Jolly
- Facade
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Close Combat

Those are just examples of some things you could try. Some other Pokemon that might get some looking into by people:

IS THIS PLAYABLE?

Now playable on the main pokemon showdown server

Last edited:
Some obvious things that I thought of:
Refrigerate Kyurem-B with Return, or Weavile with Fake Out and/or Quick Attack and/or Return
Mega-Mawile, and Mega-Medicham to get around the Huge/Pure Power ban.
Aerilate Dragonite with Extreme Speed as it's main STAB
Magic Guard [Insert Pokemon with powerful recoil moves here] or [Insert Pokemon with giant SR weakness here]
No Guard Regice/Genesect/Porygon-2 with Zap Cannon+Blizzard
Drought Victini with V-Create
PH Snorlax Everything

Last edited:

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
Some obvious things that I thought of:
Refrigerate Kyurem-B with Return, or Weavile with Fake Out and/or Quick Attack and/or Return
Mega-Mawile, and Mega-Medicham to get around the Huge/Pure Power ban.
Aerilate Dragonite with Extreme Speed as it's main STAB
Magic Guard [Insert Pokemon with powerful recoil moves here] or [Insert Pokemon with giant SR weakness here]
No Guard Regice/Genesect/Porygon-2 with Zap Cannon+Blizzard
Drought Victini with V-Create
PH Snorlax
Just wanted to mention this, bans on abilities like wonder guard, can be used on their original pokemon(like wonder guard shedinja) so they don't get around the ban, they just get to use their natural ability

Bedschibaer

NAME = FUCK
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
This is pretty similar to the Ability Exchange tier we had a while ago, i can definitely see many of the threats from back then being used again, such as Sheer Force Alakazam, Levitate Heatran, Flash Fire Ferrothorn, basically every setupsweeper with Poison Heal, etc.
Also finally good weather starters. Sand stream Regirock, Rhyperior/Rhydon allow quite many strategies revolving around sand in combination with Sand Rush sweepers.

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
This is pretty similar to the Ability Exchange tier we had a while ago, i can definitely see many of the threats from back then being used again, such as Sheer Force Alakazam, Levitate Heatran, Flash Fire Ferrothorn, basically every setupsweeper with Poison Heal, etc.
Also finally good weather starters. Sand stream Regirock, Rhyperior/Rhydon allow quite many strategies revolving around sand in combination with Sand Rush sweepers.
Yeah ability exchange was quite similar to the gen 5 version of this made a year before it, great minds think alike I must say :]

Volt Absorb Mantine to shit on rain gogogo :>

I'm really glad you got this thread off the ground, Oi. I remember playing this tier with you a lot when you first told me about it over the summer. I remember some threats from back then like Adaptability Keldeo and Unaware Slowbro who I think are going to stay effective in this new generation.

(and yes Volt Absorb Mantine to shit on rain and because Mantine is the best.)

AWailOfATail

viva la darmz
Dammit Oi, I was gonna suggest Partial Hackmons. But yea, Toxic Heal anything now.

Looking at what you posted in the OP:
Water Absorb/Sap Sipper Rhydon
Lightningrod/Flash Fire Skarmory
Not too sure about Metagross (Levitate? Flash Fire?)
Poison Heal Latias/Cresselia
Guts/Unburden Kyurem-B

And now there's Weakness Policy / Unburden everything. Thanks for those nightmares.

I could see a few abilities still being extremely strong. Protean probably being the main one. Also Tinted Lens, Adaptability, Refrigerate/Aerilate/Pixilate, Magic Guard/Regenerator, Download, Gale Wings/Prankster, Magic Bounce, and Sheer Force.

Unaware though seems like it could do a decent job allowing you to run passive walls more easily. Or Poison Heal to get more healing and block status. Also you can give them an ability to negate some crippling weakness, ex. Magic Guard Articuno or Flash Fire Skarmory.

Also Illusion is not banned? That alone sounds like it would make for some really fun battles.

Bedschibaer

NAME = FUCK
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Oh, one question. What about Moody, the OP doesn't mention it. As much as i like playing stall, i am not sure if a metagame where Moody Cresselia/Blissey/anything bulky is a thing, will be a healthy metagame.

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
Oh, one question. What about Moody, the OP doesn't mention it. As much as i like playing stall, i am not sure if a metagame where Moody Cresselia/Blissey/anything bulky is a thing, will be a healthy metagame.
Moody is on a standard smogon official tiers clause so it's assumed that it's banned in most standard OMs

Dammit Oi, I was gonna suggest Partial Hackmons. But yea, Toxic Heal anything now.

Looking at what you posted in the OP:
Water Absorb/Sap Sipper Rhydon
Lightningrod/Flash Fire Skarmory
Not too sure about Metagross (Levitate? Flash Fire?)
Poison Heal Latias/Cresselia
Guts/Unburden Kyurem-B

And now there's Weakness Policy / Unburden everything. Thanks for those nightmares.
lol at the ending quote but
It's actually:
Eviolite sandstream rhydon
FF Skarm
Assault Vest Regenerator Metagross
Adaptabillity Latias
Natural Cure + Rest Cresselia
Refridgerate Kyurem B

Last edited:
Just wanted to mention this, bans on abilities like wonder guard, can be used on their original pokemon(like wonder guard shedinja) so they don't get around the ban, they just get to use their natural ability
Cool, so I'll make sure to bring my Speed Boost Scolipede for some Baton Passing shenanigans.
AV Sand Stream Regirock should be quite the tank. It'll be even bulkier than Eviolite Rhydon, at the cost of not being able to run SR and Rest.
Contrary Latias
Banlist
But with every tier comes bans, so here are the forbidden ones:
Ubers, Slaking, Simple, Regigigas, Archeops, Prankster Smeargle, Contrary, Fur Coat, Huge Power & Pure Power, Speed Boost, Imposter, Sturdy Shedinja, Shadow Tag & Arena Trap, Parental Bond and last but definitely not least Wonder Guard
I've never gotten to correct the original poster with a quote from the original post before.

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
Cool, so I'll make sure to bring my Speed Boost Scolipede for some Baton Passing shenanigans.

AV Sand Stream Regirock should be quite the tank. It'll be even bulkier than Eviolite Rhydon, at the cost of not being able to run SR and Rest.

I've never gotten to correct the original poster with a quote from the original post before.
I made a slip, I was thinking about gen 5 latias, fixed XD

I can see Pixilate, Refrigerate and Aerilate used a lot for coverage. Want a priority fairy user? Pixilate extremespeed. Etc.

While I have unconventional priority on my mind, I recently found out that Nature Power is listed as a non-attacking move, though it summons an attack, the point here being that it's affected by Prankster. In X/Y link battles, it normally summons Tri Attack which isn't very useful to anything that learns it, but you can change the move using one of the Terrain moves. Like Tangrowth or Roserade can change it to Energy Ball by using Grassy Terrain. Grassy Terrain also boosts Grass attacks by 50%, so it could easily be worth the turn of set up.

Also say hi to the 1-2 attack sweepers with Tinted Lens (or possibly Scrappy if you have something like a lucario), using the other move slots for various set up moves, recovery, wall-breaking moves like Taunt or specific coverage to hit a wall for super effective damage, and all kinds of other options.

Nature Power + Prankster is basically Special Extreme Speed, so maybe it warrants use on some special normal type sweepers. If the Porygon line learns it, or Melloeta then it might be worthwhile.

Speaking of unconventional priority, Prankster+Copycat lets you use the last used move at +1 priority. So priority Close Combats and Ice Beams are a thing. SD/NP Luke sounds like a great prankster sweeper, because it can use Shadow Claw/Ball for perfect neutral coverage, and still have room for Copycat.

Edit: Also, A Prankster with a set like Roar/Dragon Tail/Rest/Sleep Talk can phaze with priority, so that might be a thing for stall teams. It is slightly unreliable, with a 1/3 chance to do absolutely nothing when asleep, and doesn't have priority without being asleep, but it is the only way one can phaze with out letting your opponent move first.

Last edited:
Prankster Mew, Me First. Use the attack the enemy is about to use, before it uses it, with a free Choice boost. Lucario can do this too but Mew has bulk/Roost

Nature Power + Prankster is basically Special Extreme Speed, so maybe it warrants use on some special normal type sweepers. If the Porygon line learns it, or Melloeta then it might be worthwhile.

Speaking of unconventional priority, Prankster+Copycat lets you use the last used move at +1 priority. So priority Close Combats and Ice Beams are a thing. SD/NP Luke sounds like a great prankster sweeper, because it can use Shadow Claw/Ball for perfect neutral coverage, and still have room for Copycat.

Edit: Also, A Prankster with a set like Roar/Dragon Tail/Rest/Sleep Talk can phaze with priority, so that might be a thing for stall teams. It is slightly unreliable, with a 1/3 chance to do absolutely nothing when asleep, and doesn't have priority without being asleep, but it is the only way one can phaze with out letting your opponent move first.
Nothing except sawsbuck and smeargle get both Nature Power and Normal type, which is why Tri Attack form isn't as useful as something converted with a terrain attack. I suppose it's still useful as Tri Attack, since there are physical attackers who use extreme speed all the time without stab, if there's nothing better to run as priority.

Also, for the Prankster+Copycat combo to work, you have to go last when you actually use the move. Lucario might be a bit frail to be trying to do that, but I'm sure there are bulkier mons that can make it work.

Another cheesy combo is to have a slow Prankster+Copycat mon like Samurott and use a move like Dive through Copycat. The idea is, on the first turn, Prankster gives Copycat a +1 priority, so Dive goes first. But on the second turn, Prankster doesn't affect Dive, so if you're slow enough, you go last (I know it was confirmed to work this way in BW, and I haven't heard anyone saying it has changed). Notice how you avoid attacks on both turns. Combine it with Toxic Spikes if you want to be that much more deadly. It's a bit gimmicky, since it requires the opponent to have no priority of their own that they can switch to, and no pokemon slower than yours, and none of those special moves that hit during your invulnerable turn (like Earthquake vs. Dig). Also, if your user ends up dying, expect to see the opponent has set up everything in their arsenal on you.

Last edited:

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
Nothing except sawsbuck and smeargle get both Nature Power and Normal type, which is why Tri Attack form isn't as useful as something converted with a terrain attack. I suppose it's still useful as Tri Attack, since there are physical attackers who use extreme speed all the time without stab, if there's nothing better to run as priority.

Also, for the Prankster+Copycat combo to work, you have to go last when you actually use the move. Lucario might be a bit frail to be trying to do that, but I'm sure there are bulkier mons that can make it work.

Another cheesy combo is to have a slow Prankster+Copycat mon like Samurott and use a move like Dive through Copycat. The idea is, on the first turn, Prankster gives Copycat a +1 priority, so Dive goes first. But on the second turn, Prankster doesn't affect Dive, so if you're slow enough, you go last (I know it was confirmed to work this way in BW, and I haven't heard anyone saying it has changed). Notice how you avoid attacks on both turns. Combine it with Toxic Spikes if you want to be that much more deadly. It's a bit gimmicky, since it requires the opponent to have no priority of their own that they can switch to, and no pokemon slower than yours, and none of those special moves that hit during your invulnerable turn (like Earthquake vs. Dig). Also, if your user ends up dying, expect to see the opponent has set up everything in their arsenal on you.
You do know copycat and assist no longer copies those dive type moves in gen 6 right? that's why it was the "death of dive cats" as a reference to liepards old set when the new copycat mechs where announced

The idea is that you KO something slower, preventing it from moving, then spam Copycat. It works much better in BH, where slow bulky steel types can use it to fire off Gyro Balls, but the basic idea may still work here.
You do know copycat and assist no longer copies those dive type moves in gen 6 right? that's why it was the "death of dive cats" as a reference to liepards old set when the new copycat mechs where announced
Why do people say, "You do know _____ right?" When it is obvious that the person doesn't?

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
I've tried a couple (like 18 at most) games overall with my friends of AAA, but does anybody actually you know, get together and do a tournament in the OMs room on PS? I'll have a challonge.com account ready to host if you guys agree, it just seems like a great place to discover new sets and intro this meta you know?

Aerialte Chatot anybody?
Aerilate NOIVERN> aerilate chatot.
Also what about protean and gale wings. Those abilities are both insane and unlike ability exchange you dont end up with 2 slightly useless mons on your team. Isnt gale wings a better speed boost for flying types?
Also
Gengar w/ life orb
252spatk 252spe
Timid
Protean
Shadow ball
Focus blast
Hp fire/ice
Dazzling gleam
Tell me this shit isn't broken.

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
Also what about protean and gale wings. Those abilities are both insane and unlike ability exchange you dont end up with 2 slightly useless mons on your team. Isnt gale wings a better speed boost for flying types?
Also
Gengar w/ life orb
252spatk 252spe
Timid
Protean
Shadow ball
Focus blast
Hp fire/ice
Dazzling gleam
It's not, there are so much checks for it that I could analyze how non broken this set is until I fall asleep, not a bad set perse, heck I'd use it if I needed a protean user that wasn't mew, genesect or a lot of things or if I needed a speedy or ghost type protean user, just not broken, will update this post with some sets and general stuffs
-----------------------------------
Alright lets talk about some Pokemanz:

Florges (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Quiet Nature
IVs: 30 SAtk / 30 SDef
- Copycat
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Nature Power / Wish

(negative speed is optional, but this is to let hidden power and moon blast hit slower on the first turn of use so they will almost certainly go last so copycat opies them the next turn)
Overview:
Meet prank florges, probably one of the most single handedly greatest special sweeper check you will find in this metagame, Prankster copycat coming off a 252+ Life orb base 112 special attack isn't much to scoff at, taking your and/or your foes previously used moves and elevating them to a new priority, it also gets prankster nature power, which is basically like special espeed, this is what I like to call, a true revenge killer, florges's 2nd moonblast coming through and being able to 2HKO many things now that they can't use their precious recovery to soften the 2nd blow after they switchin because of prank copycat, overall I just find it to be such a great utillity check mon.More on the using your foes oves: This is really fucking useful, being able to check whatever just cause you have prankcat florges on your team is fucking insane, heaving all the pressure off of handeling special luke if you can just get it too a point where florges was out and the last move used was aura sphere(which is easier than it sounds) or revenging any foolish gengar that shadow balls on your switchin that tries to switch it up and go for the sludge bomb. Between everything that copycat revenging kills, that copy moonblast 2shots and prank NPower 2 shots, florges is just really freakin good with it's offensive checking capabillities. Some special attackers will probably start getting recognition for being immune to "prank revenging" like HP ice lando-i which because flroges's hidden power is ground and cannot touch it.

Calc corner:
252+ SpA Life Orb Florges Shadow Ball vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Gengar: 286-338 (109.1 - 129%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Florges Aura Sphere vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Lucario: 299-354 (106.4 - 125.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Florges Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y in Sun: 103-121 (34.5 - 40.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Life Orb Florges Boomburst vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Noivern: 235-277 (75.5 - 89%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Life Orb Florges Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Chandelure: 244-289 (93.4 - 110.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Checks & Counters:
- Scizor: Counter to non HP fire variants, check to HP fire ones
- Metagross: AV meta is a counter, the rest are at best checks due to HP ground 2HKOing
- Physical Mega Luke: check at best due to HP ground and copycat shenanigans
- Ferrothorn: #1 hard counter, sets us all over it's face and gyro balls it although if not careful florges may predict the SR/spikes and copycat the next turn to set up its own
- Jirachi: #2 hard counter basically like ferro except it can survive HP fires without resorting to Flash Fire, but can't set up spikes and it's iron head is weaker than ferros gyro
- Many physical attackers can 2HKO it before it can kill them, unless florges's user is able to outplay them through sheer prankster tactics

more sets coming soon

Last edited:
Also
Gengar w/ life orb
252spatk 252spe
Timid
Protean
Shadow ball
Focus blast
Hp fire/ice
Dazzling gleam
But Chatot gets Nasty Plot, how about that?

^ shrugs. Whatever you say.
Aerilate noivern: No other users of type change abilities+boomburst.

Glaciate kyurem b: pretty obvious why.

Gale wings staraptor/honchkrow/tornadus: best flying types in ou

Magicguard charizard: 1 time free switch to mega evolve

Protean lucario/arcanine: stab espeed, close combat. Lucario has SD

Aerilate gyrados: lol finally a flying stab

Magic guard/regenerator chansey: obvious

Poison heal/unaware blissey
Also Multiscale isn't banned. Any reason?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)