Almost Any Ability XY (Suspect Over: Weavile banned, Keldeo Stays)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EV

Banned deucer.
This thread is now unlocked. I will be keeping an eye on the posts to prevent it from going in the direction it did when it was shut down. Please keep your posts civil, do not attack other users directly if you disagree, and back up your findings with evidence or some form of justification. One liners are not going to cut it.

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
Itsss baccckkk! now we can not get a million sets posted on the viability rankings.
Can I just ask...Why is imposter banned? It doesn't seem broken to me, in fact it probably is more advantageous for stall (since only like band hustle rampardos can ohko unaware cress and offense can still be beaten by setup sweepers).

Were Keldeo and Weavile banned yet? Also, when can we ban suspect PH?

So, Weavile.

70/120/65/45/85/125.

Pretty fast, hits hard, extremely frail. Refridgerate-boosted Return is pretty strong for it. Let's look at a physical wall in the standard OU metagame that takes neutral damage:

252+ Atk Life Orb Refrigerate Weavile Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 234-277 (59.3 - 70.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Poison Heal

Quagsire can't beat it in return:

4 Atk Quagsire Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Weavile: 135-159 (48 - 56.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock.

Infernape counters Weavile, unless it is switching in to Return and Weavile is running Quick Attack (predicting Mach Punch), with a Life Orb. Calcs:

252 Atk Infernape Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Weavile: 324-384 (115.3 - 136.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO - in fact, a base attack as low as 75 will OHKO with full investment and an Attack-boosting nature. Weavile's damage in return:

252+ Atk Life Orb Refrigerate Weavile Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Infernape: 194-229 (66.2 - 78.1%)

252+ Atk Life Orb Refrigerate Weavile Quick Attack vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Infernape: 77-90 (26.2 - 30.7%)

With rocks up, that is a guaranteed 2HKO. However, without LO:

252+ Atk Refrigerate Weavile Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Infernape: 149-176 (50.8 - 60%)

252+ Atk Refrigerate Weavile Quick Attack vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Infernape: 59-69 (20.1 - 23.5%)

Other counters obviously exist, like a better defensive Mach Punch/faster [move that OHKO's it] mon that resists ice.

xJownage

lets look at a standard physical wall for AAA though:
252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 129-152 (31.9 - 37.6%) -- 0% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
nice
No, weavile isin't broken. Good, not broken.

Keldeo Is also very good, but just not broken. its got decent bulk and hits pretty hard with adaptability, but just can't really break teams. Again, No ban.

Eviolite Chansey. 704 HP, copies the opponent's other stats, still gets the Eviolite boost.
One liners are not going to cut it.
Seriously man?

Anyways, I'd like to talk about everyone's new favorite sword: Doublade. Doublade sports the same typing as Aegislash, with much highed physical Defense, a lower Special Defense, and no other form. I've been messing around with it and a set that I've been using to great success is Rest / Sleep Talk / Toxic / Substitute w/ Water Absorb. My team completely loses to Keldeo, so with this, I have a means to regain health and also completely counter Keldeo. I was considering (and did run) Dry Skin, but I often found that sun's detrimental effect eclipsed rain's benefits. Water Absorb was more reliable all around. Also, please if you battle me don't run Hidden Power Ghost Keldeo to be a meanie butt. Definitely a fun Pokemon to screw around with!

You do know copycat and assist no longer copies those dive type moves in gen 6 right? that's why it was the "death of dive cats" as a reference to liepards old set when the new copycat mechs where announced
that wasn't copycat mechanics, it was only assist mechanics, because that's all that mattered in actual standard play. in bh i use full incense prankster shadow force m-banette because of it's power and STAB on shadow force. however, the whole thing is horribly weak to any sort of priority, positive or (lol avalanche) negative.

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
that wasn't copycat mechanics, it was only assist mechanics, because that's all that mattered in actual standard play. in bh i use full incense prankster shadow force m-banette because of it's power and STAB on shadow force. however, the whole thing is horribly weak to any sort of priority, positive or (lol avalanche) negative.
Yes I know, my friend corrected me in a post not to far after mine so I just decided to leave it.

Yo nice assumptions, by the way here's what I think about the skill level on the ladder compared to OMPL:
I'm not saying everybody on the ladder is bad but most of the overly competetive and good players migrated to OMPL in order to really test their skills, so the ladder is really an inaccurate assumption of the current metagame.

Also, where did you get the assumption I can't beat them, would like to face me or get one of your ladder friends you praise so highly to battle? Because otherwise that is quite the unsupported and foolish hypothesis. I clearly explained my thoughts on Weavile and Keldeo is already well regarded as broken among top AAA players, I simply cleared up the misconceptions in that post so people know why Weavile is such a threat (if they didn't already)

Just because you can't build any good hyper offense or you don't see any doesn't mean its impossible, there have been examples of good offensive wallbreakers posted all over this thread.
This reply is a bit late, but:

First, actually read a post before you reply to it. I never said that hyper offense was unviable, just that there was none at the top of the ladder. That does not even imply that stall is broken, just that it is dominant. Okay, my post was badly worded. I meant that you were only banning it because of how it did against your team (which is the only reason why anyone would consider Weavile anywhere near broken), not that your team was bad. You even explicitly stated that my team was bad, when its GXE, Glicko and ELO ratings for AAA (and everything else) are all much higher than the metas you play on the account "Monte Cristo" and "Monte Crist0" (don't know about other alts though). I have faced quite a few stall teams, and my team (especially No Guard Zapdos and Unburden BD Chesnaught) handles stall very well. Your post is a thinly veiled attack on the ladder (implying that there are much fewer than 42 good players on the ladder), and you locked the thread when your personal attacks (in almost every one of your posts here) were at least as bad as others' attacks. I believe that is known as "double standards".

I'm not going to ladder against so few people (it takes long enough to find a match on PS!) to save Weavile, which is nowhere near broken. Without even trying, I have three Weavile checks on my team, and two Keldeo checks. One of my Pokémon that is weak to Water can even do well against a ~50% health Keldeo. I'm undecided about Keldeo, but it is definitely less deserving of a ban than Poison Heal and Suicune, both of which I can usually deal with.

Also, from that post:

Sorry I acted a bit out of line, but I wasn't talking about how stupid a person was (i.e. flaming) I was talking about their ACTING ignorant in a specific field and thus should probably get information, I used terrible wording by my intent was not a personal attack, it was a "pls get better before you post in a suspect convo" I assure you I won't post like that again.
You have made many blatant personal attacks in this thread. I assume the one you are talking about is calling someone "dense". If you were talking about how they were acting, you would have used the word "acting". You even made personal attacks in that post, when you assured The Eevee General that you wouldn't make them.

Last edited:
This reply is a bit late, but:

First, actually read a post before you reply to it. I never said that hyper offense was unviable, just that there was none at the top of the ladder. That does not even imply that stall is broken, just that it is dominant. Okay, my post was badly worded. I meant that you were only banning it because of how it did against your team (which is the only reason why anyone would consider Weavile anywhere near broken), not that your team was bad. You even explicitly stated that my team was bad, when its GXE, Glicko and ELO ratings for AAA (and everything else) are all much higher than the metas you play on the account "Monte Cristo" (don't know about alts though). I have faced quite a few stall teams, and my team (especially No Guard Zapdos and Unburden BD Chesnaught) handles stall very well. Your post is a thinly veiled attack on the ladder (implying that there are much fewer than 42 good players on the ladder), and you locked the thread when your personal attacks (in almost every one of your posts here) were at least as bad as others' attacks. I believe that is known as "double standards".

I'm not going to ladder against so few people (it takes long enough to find a match on PS!) to save Weavile, which is nowhere near broken. Without even trying, I have three Weavile checks on my team, and two Keldeo checks. One of my Pokémon that is weak to Water can even do well against a ~50% health Keldeo. I'm undecided about Keldeo, but it is definitely less deserving of a ban than Poison Heal and Suicune, both of which I can usually deal with.

Also, from that post:

You have made many blatant personal attacks in this thread. I assume the one you are talking about is calling someone "dense". If you were talking about how they were acting, you would have used the word "acting". You even made personal attacks in that post, when you assured The Eevee General that you wouldn't make them.
You are being hypocritical as being one of the main contributors by maliciously attacking oi, I am not condoning ois actions but that gives you no right to say "monte can't handle it so here's a suspect." While I don't like stall either you dare just being really malicious and once you prove yourself ompl worthy you can call out oi all you want.

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
lol?
I'll post an update on a possible change on how we do suspecting soon if I can work out something with The Immortal
so here's basically my argument on weavile:

First of all, I've seen a lot of people really under state Weavile's power. I know its easy to look at Weavile's only 125 base physical offensive stat and not be impressed compared to things like Aegislash, but you have to keep in mind that the base power of the move that it commonly uses tends to be pretty damn high. Don't get me started at all, Weavile can 2hko skarmory unboosted with a physical neutral move
252 Atk Life Orb Refrigerate Weavile Return vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Skarmory: 153-183 (45.8 - 54.7%) -- 59% chance to 2HKO
For comparison's sake, Life Orb Terrakion's Close Combat is about 3% weaker than Life Orb Weavile's Fridge Return. It's pretty strong, but we all have to over state its frailness don't we? It's not as frail as you think actually, it can live a Life Orb Sheer Force Scald from Greninja if it really needs to :c, however its not the most bulky thing, but you also have to remember that it resists most priority barring Pixilate Quick Attack, Gale Winged Acro/Brave Bird, Mach Punch and Aqua Jet, and resists Shadow Sneak, Ice Shard, Fridge Quick attack. Overall decent trade off, obviouslly needs Mach Punchers and shitty gimmick Pixilate Zygarde (just use fridge, it's overall better and handles Gale Wings) out of the way to succeed, but even shit like slacking needs stuff like Cofagrigus out of the way to be at sweepign capacity. Also you can run feint to rape espeeders like Protean Dragonite and Pixie-Nidhogg (pixilate zygarde).

There have been many people that have pointed out that there are quite a few Universal Counters to Weavile sets. This is, for the most part, false. Face it, the only universal counter to this threat is Unaware Suicune (and possibly Unaware CroPhy). People have been saying things like, "This has become a game of checks instead of a game of counters," for a while now, but that isn't a good reason to fucking keep this broken piece of shit.. There are tons of offensive Pokemon that can run certain sets to beat their usual checks and counters. But this motherfucker has 2 counters and 2-3 viable checks with 1 set, not to mention it can run other gimmick sets.

I'd also like to point out that the method by which Weavile beats some of its usual checks differs from that of some other Pokemon: Double Edge
252 Atk Life Orb Refrigerate Weavile Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Regirock: 169-200 (46.4 - 54.9%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Refrigerate Weavile Double-Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 170-201 (52.6 - 62.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
We're not talking about Aegislash where it often has to change up its entire set in order to beat certain checks and thus has to change its role on the team, which comes with an opportunity cost all to its own. This is quite similar to BW Keldeo: changing a Hidden Power (aka just 1 move) to change its entire list of checks (while still being blanket countered by stuff such as max hp latias and jellicent). Sure, you can run Tinted Lens SD Ice Punch for Keldeo or Protean SD Double Edge to 2hko unware manaphy, among the other uses for these moves. You could also run an all out attacker set with Fake Out or other filler (like PURSUIT, whic hpressures stall very much so) but you give up what makes it such a threat to stall, not only its immense unboosted power, but the ability to force people to run obscurely bulky unawares which would much appreciate actual recovery in the form of something like Regenerator.

Another big argument that I've yet to see seen is the centralization that Weavile causes. I will freely admit this: Weavile's very presence in the metagame keeps Pokemon like Garchomp, Dragonite (esp. if Feint), Lati@s, Gale Wingers in check a bit. They are generally used less because of their struggles with Weavile's and/or run abilities (I've seen a thick fat Latios specifically for people who choose to Return and not Knock Off) that, while not necessarily bad, would probably not be run if not for the importance of beating Weavile. However, the argument now becomes whether or not this is a bad thing, which is sort of based upon your own opinions and presuppositions about the importance of a Pokemon's impact on the metagame when deciding on whether it is banworthy or not. I'm not just talking about broken things checking other broken things. I'm talking about a powerful Pokemon whose very existence prevents a host of offensive Pokemon (most of which are not necessarily broken even in an Weavile-less metagame) from being even more powerful and gives many teams an extra option to handle them that they might not have otherwise. Think about it: do we really want to keep something partially on the basis that its ban will increase the power and freedom of a number of offensive sweepers and wallbreakers in an already offensively leaning metagame?

One anti-ban argument that I do take seriously is the fact that Suicune and some other bulky waters/Offensive Waters (Keldeo) are prominent in the meta. Pressuring Weavile to make sub optimal plays is one thing, but it's the fact that these are some of the best pokemon in the metagame barring Weavile itself that really causes problems. As you can clearly, there are is a big chance which this is basically a risk-free switch in that can completely screw over a Pokemon that would otherwise destroy you. Even in the case of those Pokemon that have the potential to take advantage of the free turn provided by forcing Weavile out, you still get into these coinflip scenarios where you try to set up / nail the switchin and end up getting weakened further which can lead to problems in checking Weavile, and messing up can cost you. However, keep in mind that not all 50/50s are weighted in the counters favor favor. For example, let's consider Standard Weavile vs Standard Magnet pull specs Keldeo. You have a basic scenario:

Keldeo switches into Weavile, now things can go elsewhere from this point on:
  • Weavile swords danced on the switch in and carries Double Edge. Thus leading to the OHKO of Keldeo
  • Weavile Swords Danced on the switchin, and is return but can bluff Double Edge. Thus pressuring the opponent to get something that can take a Double Edge safely and abuse the recoil to secure an OHKO. This happens and they can't pull through an OHKO due to the lack of Double Edge recoil, they die the enxt turn to Feint/Quick Attack/Return.
  • Weavile is 4 attacks and Double Edged. Keldeo stays in or dies or has to get in something in safely.
  • Weavile is 4 attacks and Returns (shows the return). Keldeo "wins" the momentum on its teams favor
  • Weavile Knock Offs on the switchin and now makes Keldeo either more of a threat to some offense (can switch up moves) or a joke to balance/semi-stall (can't 2hko much of anything)
  • even more shit can happen if its a battle vs 2 skilled players that I don't want to list out.

So in this example, Weavile beats Keldeo in most scenarios, possibly even sweeping in a couple. Even in the ones where the Keldeo user predicts perfectly, he still might have to face another 50/50 later on and really wants his Keldeo to be at good health in order to safely take on Weavile and other threats such as Victini. The risk/reward balance is definitely in favor of the Weavile user. Now, obviously this is an extreme example that does not represent the whole, but I picked it in order to show that not every 50/50 that a Weavile counter forces will be in its favor. You have to admit that it's pretty ridiculous when you have a Pokemon as powerful as Keldeo who actually struggles at all against a Pokemon 4x weak to its super effective STAB attack based on a single move like Double Edge or Swords Dance.

Well, I think that's about all I have to say about that, and I'm busy rn. I know a lot of what I've put in this post is pretty controversial, but I'm quite the controversial person at times. A lot of this really comes down to an individual's own philosophy regarding what constitutes good reasoning for a ban. The thing is, many of the people voting in this suspect test probably already had their minds made up about Weavile long before the test actually started, and there's likely very little that anyone can say or do to convince them to change their minds. Still, I thought I might as well throw my thoughts out there, even if they are a jumbled mess because I can hardly even concentrate on what I'm typing right now.

some "framework" token from a certain Agent Gibbs post, I'm not trying to steal or say I can't make a decent argument on my own, but I agree with a lot of his wording and argument flow, so just stole a lil bit of the framework.
Gonna repost since this really does answer most questions.

The only universal counters are: crophy and crocune
others are hard checks;
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Refrigerate Weavile Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Scizor: 234-276 (68 - 80.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Refrigerate Weavile Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Blastoise: 266-315 (73.4 - 87%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Refrigerate Weavile Return vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Blastoise: 227-269 (62.7 - 74.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Refrigerate Weavile Return vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Scizor: 199-234 (57.8 - 68%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

the thing is: they switch in once vs +2 return force weavile to switch out and then can no longer counter weavile. Mega Scizor will rarely lose (soft counter) but 3 counters doesn't make something balanced. Slacking had a couple counters (2-3: Cofagrigus, Regirock, FF Skarm) but it's still a broken shit.

Not the perfect analogy, but it patches up my argument I guess

oml people can we please not start another mini flame war -___-

Anyways, one of the funnier pokemon I've used is Cobalion:

Cobalion @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def (or max speed + max hp, whichever you prefer)
Impish Nature
- Close Combat
- Volt Switch
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Cobalion is a pretty solid rock setter, can beat other lead (non magic bounce) rockers with taunt, has volt switch for initiative, and has a nice 108 base speed stat. But the thing I use this set for is switching into physical attackers, especially weavile. Each time something uses a contact move against this thing, there goes 27.5% of your health, 37.5% if you're running life orb. After said physical attacker switches in, you can easily volt switch out to gain initiative on the switch or close combat to get off damage. It works nicely with wish support so that you can keep yourself healthy enough to keep punishing physical attackers. Here are some calcs:

252 Atk Choice Band Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cobalion: 168-198 (43.5 - 51.2%) -- 25.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
Staraptor takes around 50% recoil just from touching Cobalion with brave bird.

252+ Atk Life Orb Refrigerate Weavile Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cobalion: 88-105 (22.7 - 27.2%) -- 50.3% chance to 4HKO
Weavile takes 37% after recoil alone, and can't even KO with low kick. And if the fake out is obvious, even better

The list goes on of things you can do massive damage to without even attacking; it's a very fun but gimmicky set that pretty much gets a guaranteed kill on all non fighting type contact attackers, especially since weavile is such a big threat right now.

Another counter for Weavile is physically defensive Regirock, who can take pretty much anything, and KO back with a drain punch. With SR up it is a little shaky, but even then only dies to max damage rolls. The best part is, if Weavile simply switches out, regenerator ensures you can do it again, and increases the likelihood of being healthy enough in the first place.

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Refrigerate Weavile Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Regirock: 270-320 (74.1 - 87.9%)
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Regirock: 278-328 (76.3 - 90.1%)
0 Atk Regirock Drain Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Weavile: 308-364 (109.2 - 129%)

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
Another counter for Weavile is physically defensive Regirock, who can take pretty much anything, and KO back with a drain punch. With SR up it is a little shaky, but even then only dies to max damage rolls. The best part is, if Weavile simply switches out, regenerator ensures you can do it again, and increases the likelihood of being healthy enough in the first place.

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Refrigerate Weavile Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Regirock: 270-320 (74.1 - 87.9%)
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Regirock: 278-328 (76.3 - 90.1%)
0 Atk Regirock Drain Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Weavile: 308-364 (109.2 - 129%)
No offense, but wouldn't it just be better to run sdef rather than switch up your entire set just for 1 mon? even then it only shows how things are starting to revolve around this "Weavile metagame"

No offense, but wouldn't it just be better to run sdef rather than switch up your entire set just for 1 mon? even then it only shows how things are starting to revolve around this "Weavile metagame"
I can vouch for physically defensive Regirock, as the extra physical defence isn't really for just Weavile, but it also helps soften up hits and means Regenerator makes you more healthy afterwards. When you're factoring in Regenerator recovery, there's a big difference between taking say, 40% damage as opposed to 30% damage, as if you're countering that threat, of multiple such threats, time after time, you'll be unable to recover sufficiently. Assault Vest means you can still live most special attacks that aren't stuff like +1 Lilligant Petal Dance.

Also, Regirock should be paired up with a Regenerator that can take special hits for it anyway, so physically defensive is just the better route to take in my opinion.

xJownage

half of the people on the ladder just stopped playing. Just because something is hard to counter doesn't mean its broken. Some examples from ou:
kyurem-black (chansey can't wall physical variants, which are all too common)
Mega Charizard X (stop saying quagsire is a counter please, it isint. it can't ohko charizard X back and if it switches in its forced into recover spam. Its a hard check.)
Bisharp (the only things that counter it are bulky fighting types, often needing to resist steel (cobalion). It has very few switch ins)

To be honest I am not interested in talking about this anymore.

And I am waiting to see the council not vote to ban poison heal, which is by far the most broken thing in all of AAA and it has been since the beginning of the tier. Every pokemon can stall like gliscor due to substitute, protect, and toxic. Only steel types are immune, hence why you should just use team support. While this isin't even why poison heal is broken, this means that all-out attacking sets are usually p. bad unless they can do like 70% to common poison heal abusers.
The main reason the poison heal is so broken is the passive recovery. Being able to freely protect and gain 25% of their health back is just unbelievable. Its really stupid to just be able to turn 60-65% 2hko's into 3hkos just with an ability, which absolutely breaks common pokemon and makes poison heal by far the best ability in the metagame, and extremely overcentralizing as well. Poison heal suicune can patch teams easily, and its extremely overcentralizing, especially with its inability to be 2hko'd due to poison heal without running niche, maybe even bad mons.

Can someone update the OP with the current banlist? Aerilate is banned correct, along with Weavile? Anything else?

Actually no, I submitted a Bulletproof Umbreon set as a Sheer Force Gengar counter, but this is infinitely superior:

Cofagrigus @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball
- Haze
- Pain Split

Fuck yo Gengar. I wall evertheng. Fuck yo setup sweepers. Shit's a steaming pile of sex. Best paired with an Unaware user.

Also I have a question: Is it possible to give megas different abilities? You can use the mega as long as you have the mega stone attached and change its ability, but it still defaults to the normal one, such as this

Heracross-Mega @ Heracronite
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance

just is skill link, not swift swim. Is there any way to do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)