Almost Any Ability XY (Suspect Over: Weavile banned, Keldeo Stays)

Status
Not open for further replies.

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
for the record, i knew it was beatable, i was just sick of you guys being so dense. I am not wrong about offense being difficult in this meta...now...wallbreakers:

Haxorus @ choice band
Ability: Tinted lens
Evs and nature w/e
- Outrage
- Poison jab
- Whatever you want.

2hkos max defense cress and obliterates steels due to tinted lens. I played with it vs a friend of mine to great success. Banded Haxorus is just so powerful even without a boosting ability and it is really just insane. Adaptability can power up your stabs even more and that is really great if you dont expect steel types as only burns beat it. you can even run guts if you want to...Haxorus is burn bait and guts can make it scary strong.

Hydreigon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Adaptability / Tinted lens
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- filler / Recovery (does it have one)

Still want to try this one to wallbreak on the special side. on paper is so powerful its really unfair when used with Haxorus. the bad type synergy is irrelevant as i see so few attacking mons it really doesnt matter.

and yes, any trick user can use klutz assault vest to its advantage against stall and i ran two on the ladder a bit to great success as it is really unexpected (not going to tell you who ofc). You might say gimmicky, you also might say bye to one pokemon of my choice. I love.to use it to.pick off unaware mons as that allows me to sweep often with a tinted lens sweeper i may mention another time.

Sorry if this seems clunky as i am on mobile and harddddd

Last edited:
I'll bring up Protean Hydreigon again, because it really is an awesome wallbreaker:
Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 56 Atk / 252 SpA / 200 Spe
Rash Nature
- Iron Tail
- Superpower
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
Moveset really depends on what you want to take on. Superpower OHKOes non-Filter Chansey after Stealth Rock and Focus Blast 2HKOes. Draco Meteor is unnecessary really and could be replaced with another move or Work Up. It's mainly just there to do large amounts of damage to anything that isn't Fairy or Steel type.
Sniper also sparked my interest on things that can carry Focus Energy, so I recently put a Scizor on one of my teams:
Scizor @ Scope Lens
Ability: Sniper
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Focus Energy
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- X-Scissor/Iron Head
The EVs outspeed Suicune and other base 85s with no speed investment. Scizor's typing allows it to set up fairly easily and unlike most Focus Energy users, it has priority. Salamence is also a good candidate, but its Ice and Fairy weaknesses leave it vulnerable to users of Refrigerate and Pixilate.
This isn't a wallbreaker, but I came here to share it as a good suicide lead:
Diancie @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Atk / 176 Def / 48 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Diamond Storm
- Explosion
Though it hates Steels, Diancie will hurt most other things really hard with Explosion (or Diamond Storm if there is a Fire type or Poison type on the team). Unlike the banned Aerialate Landorus-T, Diancie can set up Screens or Trick Room in addition to Stealth Rock before blowing up and has more bulk. However, it is weaker, slower and has a worse typing.

Monte Cristo, do you think that we can unban some Ubers in this metagame? (I had Blaziken in mind mostly) We have a ton of more ways to deal with Speed Boost Blaziken now on offense and stall with everything Gale Wings, most Unawares (like Suicune and Manaphy), Flash Fire Pokemon, Poison Heal Pokemon with Protect (so Blaziken can kill itself with High Jump Kick) and Pixilate priority among others. The only other really dangerous sets it could run would be probably Reckless or Magic Guard, which would be great against Stall, but not so much against offense.
Shaymin-S may be a bit more manageable as well thanks to its Flying and Ice Weaknesses, though it is still very fast and more than capable of flinch hax. However, anything can have Serene Grace now and do what Shaymin did minus 80% chance of Seed Flare causing a Sp. Def drop.

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
I'll bring up Protean Hydreigon again, because it really is an awesome wallbreaker:
Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 56 Atk / 252 SpA / 200 Spe
Rash Nature
- Iron Tail
- Superpower
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
Moveset really depends on what you want to take on. Superpower OHKOes non-Filter Chansey after Stealth Rock and Focus Blast 2HKOes. Draco Meteor is unnecessary really and could be replaced with another move or Work Up. It's mainly just there to do large amounts of damage to anything that isn't Fairy or Steel type.
Sniper also sparked my interest on things that can carry Focus Energy, so I recently put a Scizor on one of my teams:
Scizor @ Scope Lens
Ability: Sniper
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Focus Energy
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- X-Scissor/Iron Head
The EVs outspeed Suicune and other base 85s with no speed investment. Scizor's typing allows it to set up fairly easily and unlike most Focus Energy users, it has priority. Salamence is also a good candidate, but its Ice and Fairy weaknesses leave it vulnerable to users of Refrigerate and Pixilate.
This isn't a wallbreaker, but I came here to share it as a good suicide lead:
Diancie @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Atk / 176 Def / 48 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Diamond Storm
- Explosion
Though it hates Steels, Diancie will hurt most other things really hard with Explosion (or Diamond Storm if there is a Fire type or Poison type on the team). Unlike the banned Aerialate Landorus-T, Diancie can set up Screens or Trick Room in addition to Stealth Rock before blowing up and has more bulk. However, it is weaker, slower and has a worse typing.

Monte Cristo, do you think that we can unban some Ubers in this metagame? (I had Blaziken in mind mostly) We have a ton of more ways to deal with Speed Boost Blaziken now on offense and stall with everything Gale Wings, most Unawares (like Suicune and Manaphy), Flash Fire Pokemon, Poison Heal Pokemon with Protect (so Blaziken can kill itself with High Jump Kick) and Pixilate priority among others. The only other really dangerous sets it could run would be probably Reckless or Magic Guard, which would be great against Stall, but not so much against offense.
Shaymin-S may be a bit more manageable as well thanks to its Flying and Ice Weaknesses, though it is still very fast and more than capable of flinch hax. However, anything can have Serene Grace now and do what Shaymin did minus 80% chance of Seed Flare causing a Sp. Def drop.
I'd prefer to do ubers in round 3, I have way more important things to suspect/test. speaking of which:

SUSPECT TESTING ROUND I: Weavile & Keldeo

ah yes, so the day has come, it's time for suspect testing after long days of dreadfully playing an unhealthy metagame.

this is the suspect schedule
  • Suspect I: Weavile and Keldeo
    • Week 1: Laddering and Discussion
    • Week 2: More Laddering and Discussion
    • Week 3: Identification (basically just post proof that it was on the ladder in this thread. And I'll go through it with the council and pick out people who made it for the vote)
    • Week 3: Suspect Convo held with people who get requirements so they can vote
(fyi council members [word, asterat, kl4ng and I] do not have to get suspect as being in council proves our knowledge enough)

• Suspect II: Poison Heal
  • Suspect III: Ability Clause
  • Suspect IV: Retesting Ubers (maybe)
all the same system

well where is the suspect testing held you ask? and what are the requirements?
1350 ELO on the suspect ladder
hosted on:
http://othermetascentral.psim.us/

Last edited:

xJownage

Poison heal is on there for good reason...

I dont like keldeo and weavile tests but its for their own good. adaptability specs hydro from keld is so powerful. It isnt a win condition but its making stall have limits to its teambuilding and they are having to have a keld counter on every team (And since secret sword does physical its even worse). I have seen some keld running Protean HP Flying to deal with venusaur despite its low usage, and it also alleviates its flying and fairy weaknesses. I need to test keld a lot before making a decision, but numbers never lie and on paper this thing is really restricting teambuilding.

Ahhh...Weavile. Personally i use it quite a bit, but its...meh. i feel like it just causes switches and thats it. Not that thats a bad thing, its just i find stall always having big time answers to it. The real thing is though is that refrigerate return is so god damn powerful. While most stall teams can wall it, it is still putting huge dents in teams especially with ice coverage. I am on the fence here since if it goes for 3 weeks we will have nothing but stall teams before a possible poison heal ban. Weavile is a big time threat that i wouldnt be sad to see go, but its not impossible to work around. I will also test this like crazy.

Its good that you finally decided to suspect one of the most broken defensive abilities out there. Considering its probably the king of BH, its hard to see why its not worth a long look at and likely at least a complex ban.

For an ability clause do you mean only _ number of pokes on one team have the same ability? i literally just thought that like 10 minutes ago.

Skymin is not a pokemon stall can beat. the Sdef drops are just awful and stall has to run gale wings or get lucky to beat it.
Blaze on the other hand should be okay.
Should Deo-S and D get a suspect? they really arent as broken here although mold breaker deo-d hazards are tough.
To be perfectly honest i dont see any other ubers that are able to come into this metagame. Dark void tinted lens nasty plot darkrai would destroy half the meta and be extremely overcentralizing.

well where is the suspect testing held you ask? and what are the requirements?
1350 ELO on the suspect ladder
hosted on:
http://othermetascentral.psim.us/
Wouldn't it be far more feasible to achieve the reqs on the main ladder?

I mean, I know Antar doesn't do suspect ladders for OMs due to the small user bases and whatnot, but I highly doubt anyone is going to be able to achieve the 1350 ELO requirement on such a small server when the main one, that has about 10,000 people on during more popular times only averages about 4 AAA battles at any given moment.

Getting the ELO requirement on the main ladder I think demonstrates enough knowledge about the metagame to make an informed decision, and if having an idea of what the metagame will be like without Weavile and Keldeo is that important we can always have them officially banned on the main ladder for the duration of the suspect test.

Last edited:

xJownage

The problem on the main server is that Weavile and Keldeo will not be banned :[
Then ban them for the duration of the suspect. i agree, to be honest i think you may get a total of 3 or 4 people that fit your requirements by the end of the day (or the end of the second week). I also wouldnt even play the suspect ladder anyways so to be honest i would find it just another divergence of traffic and another obstacle in finding battles. Lets just change this now so you can actually have options on who you want to bring into the council

Then ban them for the duration of the suspect. i agree, to be honest i think you may get a total of 3 or 4 people that fit your requirements by the end of the day (or the end of the second week). I also wouldnt even play the suspect ladder anyways so to be honest i would find it just another divergence of traffic and another obstacle in finding battles. Lets just change this now so you can actually have options on who you want to bring into the council
I get that, but Antar doesn't want to implement it is what Monte told me.

so are you saying that it will be on the original ladder or what? your structure kind of confused me
Monte told me that Antar didn't want to implement the bans on the main server, he said it has to be on OM Central so he could put up the ladder. And, I agree, not to offend Monte, but maybe like two people will get REQs within the week on that server anyways.

I personally run offense, and this is what I have observed about weavile:
1. It loses to Offense
2. It loses to stall
3. It's complete garbage.
4. It never stays in for more than 2 turns.

Fake outs are extremely weak, maybe it's because my team specifically has a lot of weavile checks, IDK. The point is, stall dominates the metagame, which weavile loses to; Rain and Sun Offense are the main Offensive playstyles as of now (did I mention weavile LOSES to both of these?). Weavile's main niche in the old meta was to kill Aerilate spam, but with that gone, and gale wings getting less and less usage, it has pretty much turn from good to trash.

Alright time for Keldeo: Eh, this thing might be ban-worthy; I don't actually have trouble with it, because, like I said, I run offense, but stall might take a huge buff if this thing gets banned. It just rips apart the standard stall cores (regirock, chansey, goodra, and skarm), and 129 spA is nothing to laugh at.

For the suspect ladder, we might as well do a ladder WITH weavile and keldeo. At least then we can have more than 4 people voting (a.k.a. AAA council); and the players who get up there should be skilled enough to know what the meta would be like without Keldeo and Weavile.

xJownage

While I wouldn't say that weavile is garbage, it to me is not banworthy. After some more testing it is becoming really obvious to me that this thing is not all that good. Great on paper, but in battle it just isin't working besides forcing switches and doing a little damage. Against full stall maybe it could be good since it gets so many free turns and its lack of bulk is less of a factor, but still, it really isin't all that good. I am going to say definitively no ban as of now.

Keldeo i still need more time on. I can't make a view yet, keldeo is very possible to counter in this meta however its centralizing and is one of the main reasons that offense is even usable atm. Without it there would be virtually no offensive teams that are even viable. If there was a vote now i would abstain, because i just don't know

I'm just here to say that if weavile gets banned we would have reason to ban refrigerate since there would be two mons broken because of refrigerate(for reference aerilate had one).
Also I'd like to show this
252+ Atk Life Orb Tough Claws Haxorus Outrage vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Suicune: 364-429 (90 - 106.1%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Tough Claws Haxorus Outrage vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Suicune: 418-493 (103.4 - 122%) -- guaranteed OHKO
These are two viable sets that can take out suicune easily because haxorus can deal the rest even if he gets burned after getting hit with scald and doesn't OHKO with life orb. then poison heal suicune has to deal with this
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Tough Claws Haxorus Outrage vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Suicune: 543-641 (134.4 - 158.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
while this doesn't counter suicune it is a really good check and suicune cannot switch into it ever.
More wallbreaking
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Tough Claws Haxorus Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Regirock: 265-312 (72.8 - 85.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Tough Claws Haxorus Brick Break vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Magnezone: 335-395 (97.3 - 114.8%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Tough Claws Haxorus Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 174-205 (52 - 61.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Tough Claws Haxorus Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Metagross: 183-217 (50.2 - 59.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
basically haxorus 2HKO's every relevant (non fairy) physical wall with outrage without using a choice band. and look at this
+1 252+ Atk Choice Band Tough Claws Haxorus Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Xerneas: 466-550 (102.1 - 120.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
OHKO's the physically bulkiest fairy in the game
Edit: just realized you cant boost with a choice band. He still does quite a bit to xerneas without choice band tho

AWailOfATail

viva la darmz
+1 252+ Atk Choice Band Tough Claws Haxorus Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Xerneas: 466-550 (102.1 - 120.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
OHKO's the physically bulkiest fairy in the game
I might be missing something, but how can it get to +1 with a Choice Band?
But yea, Haxorus is pretty strong. Awkward speed tier, but strong.

xJownage

still, Haxorus adaptability outrage does hit harder. if i use DD though i use tinted lens, and sometimes do the same with band as i can make steel switchins explode.

Also suicune should be physically defensive. ill recalc those when i get back on my computer.

still, Haxorus adaptability outrage does hit harder. if i use DD though i use tinted lens, and sometimes do the same with band as i can make steel switchins explode.

Also suicune should be physically defensive. ill recalc those when i get back on my computer.
why would you use adaptability, which only boosts dragon moves, when tough claws boosts ALL contact moves? The sacrifice for 2% power gain isn't worth it.
EDIT: nvm adaptability isn't even stronger at all.

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
While I wouldn't say that weavile is garbage, it to me is not banworthy. After some more testing it is becoming really obvious to me that this thing is not all that good. Great on paper, but in battle it just isin't working besides forcing switches and doing a little damage. Against full stall maybe it could be good since it gets so many free turns and its lack of bulk is less of a factor, but still, it really isin't all that good. I am going to say definitively no ban as of now.

Keldeo i still need more time on. I can't make a view yet, keldeo is very possible to counter in this meta however its centralizing and is one of the main reasons that offense is even usable atm. Without it there would be virtually no offensive teams that are even viable. If there was a vote now i would abstain, because i just don't know
lol?
I'll post an update on a possible change on how we do suspecting soon if I can work out something with The Immortal
so here's basically my argument on weavile:

First of all, I've seen a lot of people really under state Weavile's power. I know its easy to look at Weavile's only 125 base physical offensive stat and not be impressed compared to things like Aegislash, but you have to keep in mind that the base power of the move that it commonly uses tends to be pretty damn high. Don't get me started at all, Weavile can 2hko skarmory unboosted with a physical neutral move
252 Atk Life Orb Refrigerate Weavile Return vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Skarmory: 153-183 (45.8 - 54.7%) -- 59% chance to 2HKO
For comparison's sake, Life Orb Terrakion's Close Combat is about 3% weaker than Life Orb Weavile's Fridge Return. It's pretty strong, but we all have to over state its frailness don't we? It's not as frail as you think actually, it can live a Life Orb Sheer Force Scald from Greninja if it really needs to :c, however its not the most bulky thing, but you also have to remember that it resists most priority barring Pixilate Quick Attack, Gale Winged Acro/Brave Bird, Mach Punch and Aqua Jet, and resists Shadow Sneak, Ice Shard, Fridge Quick attack. Overall decent trade off, obviouslly needs Mach Punchers and shitty gimmick Pixilate Zygarde (just use fridge, it's overall better and handles Gale Wings) out of the way to succeed, but even shit like slacking needs stuff like Cofagrigus out of the way to be at sweepign capacity. Also you can run feint to rape espeeders like Protean Dragonite and Pixie-Nidhogg (pixilate zygarde).

There have been many people that have pointed out that there are quite a few Universal Counters to Weavile sets. This is, for the most part, false. Face it, the only universal counter to this threat is Unaware Suicune (and possibly Unaware CroPhy). People have been saying things like, "This has become a game of checks instead of a game of counters," for a while now, but that isn't a good reason to fucking keep this broken piece of shit.. There are tons of offensive Pokemon that can run certain sets to beat their usual checks and counters. But this motherfucker has 2 counters and 2-3 viable checks with 1 set, not to mention it can run other gimmick sets.

I'd also like to point out that the method by which Weavile beats some of its usual checks differs from that of some other Pokemon: Double Edge
252 Atk Life Orb Refrigerate Weavile Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Regirock: 169-200 (46.4 - 54.9%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Refrigerate Weavile Double-Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 170-201 (52.6 - 62.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
We're not talking about Aegislash where it often has to change up its entire set in order to beat certain checks and thus has to change its role on the team, which comes with an opportunity cost all to its own. This is quite similar to BW Keldeo: changing a Hidden Power (aka just 1 move) to change its entire list of checks (while still being blanket countered by stuff such as max hp latias and jellicent). Sure, you can run Tinted Lens SD Ice Punch for Keldeo or Protean SD Double Edge to 2hko unware manaphy, among the other uses for these moves. You could also run an all out attacker set with Fake Out or other filler (like PURSUIT, whic hpressures stall very much so) but you give up what makes it such a threat to stall, not only its immense unboosted power, but the ability to force people to run obscurely bulky unawares which would much appreciate actual recovery in the form of something like Regenerator.

Another big argument that I've yet to see seen is the centralization that Weavile causes. I will freely admit this: Weavile's very presence in the metagame keeps Pokemon like Garchomp, Dragonite (esp. if Feint), Lati@s, Gale Wingers in check a bit. They are generally used less because of their struggles with Weavile's and/or run abilities (I've seen a thick fat Latios specifically for people who choose to Return and not Knock Off) that, while not necessarily bad, would probably not be run if not for the importance of beating Weavile. However, the argument now becomes whether or not this is a bad thing, which is sort of based upon your own opinions and presuppositions about the importance of a Pokemon's impact on the metagame when deciding on whether it is banworthy or not. I'm not just talking about broken things checking other broken things. I'm talking about a powerful Pokemon whose very existence prevents a host of offensive Pokemon (most of which are not necessarily broken even in an Weavile-less metagame) from being even more powerful and gives many teams an extra option to handle them that they might not have otherwise. Think about it: do we really want to keep something partially on the basis that its ban will increase the power and freedom of a number of offensive sweepers and wallbreakers in an already offensively leaning metagame?

One anti-ban argument that I do take seriously is the fact that Suicune and some other bulky waters/Offensive Waters (Keldeo) are prominent in the meta. Pressuring Weavile to make sub optimal plays is one thing, but it's the fact that these are some of the best pokemon in the metagame barring Weavile itself that really causes problems. As you can clearly, there are is a big chance which this is basically a risk-free switch in that can completely screw over a Pokemon that would otherwise destroy you. Even in the case of those Pokemon that have the potential to take advantage of the free turn provided by forcing Weavile out, you still get into these coinflip scenarios where you try to set up / nail the switchin and end up getting weakened further which can lead to problems in checking Weavile, and messing up can cost you. However, keep in mind that not all 50/50s are weighted in the counters favor favor. For example, let's consider Standard Weavile vs Standard Magnet pull specs Keldeo. You have a basic scenario:

Keldeo switches into Weavile, now things can go elsewhere from this point on:
  • Weavile swords danced on the switch in and carries Double Edge. Thus leading to the OHKO of Keldeo
  • Weavile Swords Danced on the switchin, and is return but can bluff Double Edge. Thus pressuring the opponent to get something that can take a Double Edge safely and abuse the recoil to secure an OHKO. This happens and they can't pull through an OHKO due to the lack of Double Edge recoil, they die the enxt turn to Feint/Quick Attack/Return.
  • Weavile is 4 attacks and Double Edged. Keldeo stays in or dies or has to get in something in safely.
  • Weavile is 4 attacks and Returns (shows the return). Keldeo "wins" the momentum on its teams favor
  • Weavile Knock Offs on the switchin and now makes Keldeo either more of a threat to some offense (can switch up moves) or a joke to balance/semi-stall (can't 2hko much of anything)
  • even more shit can happen if its a battle vs 2 skilled players that I don't want to list out.

So in this example, Weavile beats Keldeo in most scenarios, possibly even sweeping in a couple. Even in the ones where the Keldeo user predicts perfectly, he still might have to face another 50/50 later on and really wants his Keldeo to be at good health in order to safely take on Weavile and other threats such as Victini. The risk/reward balance is definitely in favor of the Weavile user. Now, obviously this is an extreme example that does not represent the whole, but I picked it in order to show that not every 50/50 that a Weavile counter forces will be in its favor. You have to admit that it's pretty ridiculous when you have a Pokemon as powerful as Keldeo who actually struggles at all against a Pokemon 4x weak to its super effective STAB attack based on a single move like Double Edge or Swords Dance.

Well, I think that's about all I have to say about that, and I'm busy rn. I know a lot of what I've put in this post is pretty controversial, but I'm quite the controversial person at times. A lot of this really comes down to an individual's own philosophy regarding what constitutes good reasoning for a ban. The thing is, many of the people voting in this suspect test probably already had their minds made up about Weavile long before the test actually started, and there's likely very little that anyone can say or do to convince them to change their minds. Still, I thought I might as well throw my thoughts out there, even if they are a jumbled mess because I can hardly even concentrate on what I'm typing right now.

some "framework" token from a certain Agent Gibbs post, I'm not trying to steal or say I can't make a decent argument on my own, but I agree with a lot of his wording and argument flow, so just stole a lil bit of the framework.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)