Almost Any Ability ORAS Viability Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to point out that, while adaptability is certainly a good great ability, on physical attackers whose STABs make contact, tough claws has the same amount of power, plus it boosts their coverage moves as well

Mega-Swampert for B+/A- Rank

With Primiordal Sea and Swift Swim, M-Swampert is a dangerous sweeper. It has a great Typing, having only one (not very common) weak, a good offensive COverage while also hitting many A/S-Ranks for super effective damage. The good Bulk in 100/110/110 allows it to live most priority and being not KOed in M-EvolveTurn. Thanks to the insane 150BaseAttack+Rain, Waterfall OHKOs most offensive Threads that dont resist it. EQ and Ice Punch hits most things hard that Waterfall doesnt.

Mega-Camerupt for C+ Rank

Since M-Houndoom is ranked, M-Camerupt should also be ranked. I am not sure which rank it should be because i didnt try it out much. With Desolate Land, M-Rupt has an pretty decent typing which allows it to check a few threads. Its SF Sun STAB Fire Blast is very powerful and OHKOs many offensive threads. FBlast+EPower provides a pretty good STAB Coverage and hits most things very hard. It also has an good Coverage Move in Solar Beam and good SUpport Moves in SR or WoW.

Deoxys-S for S/A+ Rank

With Protean gone, Deoxys is not the god it was before. The Lead-Set and the Revenge Killer are still pretty good, but dont deserve Top S-Rank.

Shaymin-Sky for B+/A- Rank

Pls dont hate me, i love this thing. Skymin has 3 Sets with are all very good. PH SubSeed is pretty dangerous, can set-up on many things and and seed Stallteams without things like MagicBounce/Guard Zapdos to dead. SpecsTintedLens is very dangerous and can destroy unprepared Teams easily. Sub Sheer Force (<3) can force many things on HO to switch and set-up an sub. If it gets an Sub, something dies.

I personally have never played this meta yet, so I can't say too much, but I think you guys skipped over something significant; Chandelure. Particularly Sheer Force Chandelure, because I have done some calculations and I speak no hyperbole when I say he is possibly the best wallbreaker in the game from a specially offensive standpoint. He 60% of the time OHKO's 252/252+ suicune and cresselia regardless of their abilities, and while this doesn't do much for him, it's quite impressive that he is able to 3hko AV goodra 95% of the time with a base 80 power non-SE attack. I know he has some crippling flaws (I.E.: Primordial Sea Genesect/Hydreigon/Goodra weakness, gets OHKO'd by sucker punch/knock off, low speed), but he really is a nuke. Any thoughts?

Grim

The Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Isn't this kind of discussion more something for the main thread? Oh well. Though good in theory, Sheer Force Gengar only hits slightly less hard while having more speed to not be bad against offense, and can't get trolled by Flash Fire/Primordial Sea. It can still get trolled by Bulletproof, but that is far less common and more niche. I'd say, put in in High C Rank.

Isn't this kind of discussion more something for the main thread? Oh well. Though good in theory, Sheer Force Gengar only hits slightly less hard while having more speed to not be bad against offense, and can't get trolled by Flash Fire/Primordial Sea. It can still get trolled by Bulletproof, but that is far less common and more niche. I'd say, put in in High C Rank.
Yeah, it does get trolled by flashfire and PS, but Fire is a great STAB to have when all ff and ps users have been eliminated, and chandy has an important neutrality to psychic and resists grass/steel/fire, which gengar can't say he does, meaning he isn't destroyed by Victini (only 2hko'd by tc Blot Strike), isn't 2hko'd by Cress (which geng can't ohko even if modest), and can decimate a good number of things gengar misses, like mew for example (gengar can only secure a 6.3% chance to ohko if modest, and chandy loses nothing from modest and OHKOs 62.5% of the time). Plus, Chandy is significantly more bulky than gengar, allowing it to take a hit here or there. Not gonna say he's the best pokemon in the entire world, but I think we should test him a bunch before ranking him

Grim

The Ghost
Yeah, it does get trolled by flashfire and PS, but Fire is a great STAB to have when all ff and ps users have been eliminated, and chandy has an important neutrality to psychic and resists grass/steel/fire, which gengar can't say he does, meaning he isn't destroyed by Victini (only 2hko'd by tc Blot Strike), isn't 2hko'd by Cress (which geng can't ohko even if modest), and can decimate a good number of things gengar misses, like mew for example (gengar can only secure a 6.3% chance to ohko if modest, and chandy loses nothing from modest and OHKOs 62.5% of the time). Plus, Chandy is significantly more bulky than gengar, allowing it to take a hit here or there. Not gonna say he's the best pokemon in the entire world, but I think we should test him a bunch before ranking him
Since Victini is rarely Choice Scarfed, so Gengar actually generally does better against it because it outspeeds. It is far from destroyed. Gengar does indeed fail to OHKO Cresselia without rocks, but Cresselia really has no business trying to take Gengar on lol. Same for Mew. And it's not like setting up rocks and even a layer of spikes is hard when you have Deoxys-S and D in the tier, the best leads for the offensive teams Gengar is typically uses on. While Chandelure is bulkier, Gengar is way faster meaning it does not have to tank as much hits as Chandelure.

I'm not saying Chandelure would be a bad pokemon in Almost Any Ability, but it's mostly overshadowed by Gengar, which is why I think High C would be a good rank for it. And if you haven't tested it yet, you really shouldn't try to give it a rank tbh lol (overlooked this in the first post). That said, I haven't actually tried it myself, so I guess I can add this to my to do list.

Words words well worded arguments etc. etc. I don't feel like making this post too long so gonna shorten this, 'kay?
Good enough for me. I just personally really like chandy, and I did some calcs and found that he's quite strong. S'long as he gets tested and put at a rank he deserves, I am happy.

mega pinsir for A-/b+ rank
this pokemon came to me while I was unsurprisingly doing oml challenge and using illusion. once this pokemon sets up swords dance frustration quick attack and eq can wreck a lot of the meta especially if they switch into the wrong pokemon. only pokemons that can switch into this are levitaters and zapdos which after weakening can still be take out by +2 aerilate frustration.

Just out of curiousity and for helping people wanting to get into the meta (like myself), could there maybe be a "Suggested ability" slot next to a pokemon with some significantly helpful abilities to help people either prepare for it or know what to use on it? Like the listing could go [sprite] Staraptor (Gale Wings, Magic Guard). Or, although this may be a bit much, add multiple tier rankings for pokemon with multiple viable abilities with varied effectiveness? Just kinda seems like it'd be more convenient, since there's no tier list like for standard formats.

Grim

The Ghost
Just out of curiousity and for helping people wanting to get into the meta (like myself), could there maybe be a "Suggested ability" slot next to a pokemon with some significantly helpful abilities to help people either prepare for it or know what to use on it? Like the listing could go [sprite] Staraptor (Gale Wings, Magic Guard). Or, although this may be a bit much, add multiple tier rankings for pokemon with multiple viable abilities with varied effectiveness? Just kinda seems like it'd be more convenient, since there's no tier list like for standard formats.
Multiple tier rankings is probably indeed too much, but just adding one or two good abilities behind it would be nice.

Ok. Here is the list of abilties commonly used if Klang wants to update it. I just copyed the pokemon from the list and added the best/most commonly found abilities. Landorus, Hawlucha, and Jellicent I didnt know, so if you do tell me please
  • Top S Rank
Deoxys-S - Download, Mold Breaker, Magic Bounce.

• Mid S Rank
Bisharp - Adaptability, Flash Fire

• High A Rank
Deoxys-D - Mold Breaker, Poison Heal, Unaware
Braviary - Gale Wings, Poison Heal, Guts
Staraptor - Gale Wings, Poison Heal, Guts
Terrakion - Adaptability, Refridgerate,
Zapdos - Delta Stream, Magic Guard, Poison Heal, Intimidate
Victini - Drought, Desolate Land, Tough Claws, Magic Guard, No Guard
Skarmory - Gale Wings, Flash Fire, Intimidate, Unaware,
Mamoswine - Adaptability, Refridgerate
Heatran - Drought, Chlorophyll, Desolate Land, Levitate, Regenerator, Magnet Pull
Entei - Refridgerate, Tinted Lens, Serene Grace
Lucario - Tough Claws, Pixilate, Refridgerate, Scrappy, Mega Launcher
  • Mid A Rank
Chansey - Magic Bounce,
Mew - Prankster, Poison Heal, No Guard, Tinted Lens, Sheer Force (Lots more, Mew can run tons of sets)
Genesect - Sheer Force, No Guard, Tinted Lens, Tough Claws, Regenerator
Blaziken/Mega Blaziken - Speed Boost, Drought -> Speed Boost, Illusion -> Speed Boost
Heracross - Tough Claws, Flash Fire, Magic Bounce, Skill Link
Mandibuzz - Poison Heal, Delta Stream, Prankster,
Gyarados/Mega Gyarados - Volt Absorb, Illusion -> Mold Breaker, Tough Claws, Tinted Lens
Thundurus - Refridgerate, Sheer Force
Honchkrow - Gale Wings
Gengar - Sheer Force, No Guard, Prankster
  • Low A Rank
Manaphy - Motor Drive, Poison Heal, Sheer Force
Kyurem - Sheer Force, Adaptability,
Goodra - Regenerator, Poison Heal
Aegislash - Stance Change
Suicune - Poison Heal, Unaware
Mega Mawile - Magic Bounce, Illusion -> Huge Power
Cresselia - Unaware, Poison Heal, Regenerator
Regirock - Poison Heal, Regenerator
Latios - Adaptability, Tinted lens
Landorus - ??? Sheer Force?
  • High B Rank
Shuckle - Mold Breaker, Prankster, Magic Bounce
Vaporeon - Poison Heal
Haxorus - Tough Claws, Tinted Lens
Volcarona - Magic Guard, Sheer Force
Latias - Adaptability, Tinted Lens
Tyranitar - Tough Claws, Unburden
Doublade - Regenerator, Natural Cure
Snorlax - Poison Heal
Celebi - Unaware, Poison Heal,
  • Mid B Rank
Rotom-W - Regenerator, No Guard, Drizzle
Raikou - Sheer Force, Regenerator,
Tornadus-T - Gale Wings, Drizzle, Primodial Sea, No Guard
Thundurus-T - Sheer Force,
Hawlucha - ??? Tough Claws?
Sylveon - Poison Heal,
Hippowdon - Intimidate, Unaware, Poison Heal,
Shaymin-S - Serene Grace, Sheer Force, Poison Heal
Scizor - Technican, Regenerator, Flash Fire -> Technican
Dragonite - Tough Claws, Magic Guard
Breloom - Prankster
Azelf - Mold Breaker, Prankster, Sheer Force
Jellicent - ??? Why is this ranked?
  • Low B Rank
Conkeldurr - Tough Claws, Poison Heal
Togekiss - Gale Wings
Tornadus - Gale Wings, No guard, Drizzle, Primodial Rain
Ferrothorn - Flash Fire, Prankster, Drizzle
Sneasel - Refridgerate, Technican
Hydregion - Mega Launcher, Sniper
  • High C Rank
Gothitelle - Shadow Tag
Ditto - Imposter
Smeagle - Mold Breaker, Magic Bounce, Sturdy
Zygarde - Poison Heal, Tough Claws
Mega Garchomp - Sand Stream -> Sand Force
Marowak - Technican
  • Mid C Rank
Houndoom - Drought, Desolate Land -> Solar Power
Heliolisk - Lightning Rod
  • Low C Rank
Greninja - Protean
Talonflame - Gale Wings, Magic Guard

Last edited:
Ok. Here is the list of abilties commonly used if Klang wants to update it. I just copyed the pokemon from the list and added the best/most commonly found abilities. Landorus, Hawlucha, and Jellicent I didnt know, so if you do tell me please
  • Top S Rank

• Mid S Rank

• High A Rank
Heatran - Drought, Chlorophyll, Desolate Land, Levitate, Regenerator, Magnet Pull
  • Mid A Rank
Chansey - Magic Bounce,
Mew - Prankster, Poison Heal, No Guard, Tinted Lens, Sheer Force (Lots more, Mew can run tons of sets)
Blaziken/Mega Blaziken - Speed Boost, Drought -> Speed Boost, Illusion -> Speed Boost
Gyarados/Mega Gyarados - Volt Absorb, Illusion -> Mold Breaker, Tough Claws, Tinted Lens
Honchkrow - Gale Wings
  • Low A Rank
  • High B Rank
Vaporeon - Poison Heal
Snorlax - Poison Heal
  • Mid B Rank
Sylveon - Poison Heal,
Breloom - Prankster
  • Low B Rank
Togekiss - Gale Wings
  • High C Rank
Gothitelle - Shadow Tag
Ditto - Imposter
Marowak - Technican
  • Mid C Rank
  • Low C Rank
Greninja - Protean
Thanks! I'll make some minor additions where you might have missed some abilities and I'll credit you in the OP.

EDIT: Done formatting the S/A ranks, will do the rest later since I've got an algebra exam Friday and stuff. Also I removed some abilities that, while not necessarily unviable, aren't really as great as others on the specific Pokemon (Ex: Flash Fire Bisharp) and aren't really the reason they belong in that rank in the first place.

Also yeah I removed Jellicent since it's really not good at all anymore with Keldeo gone.

Last edited:
Gonna make a lot of nominations, here goes...
"Promotions"

Zygarde for Mid B Rank, possibly High B Rank
I've been playing with this thing a lot lately, and it's definitely one of the more underrated mons out there. Sub + coil lets it set up all over stall, Refrigerate extremespeed ensures that it can easily revenge kill things like thundurus and staraptor while making up for its average speed, and ground+ice coverage is simply great to have.
Skarmory for Mid S rank
EASILY the most "defining" pokemon in the meta now, almost everything it does is great; unaware, intimidate, flash fire, volt absorb, delta stream, magic bounce, prankster, and mold breaker are what make it A+ right now, with its sheer versatility. However, what held it back was lack of an offensive presence before, but now, with the swords dance set becoming very popular, it's actually a staple on hyper offense teams, being able to clean up, revenge kill, and check bird spam. I honestly think the versatility of defensive sets as well as being able to effectively run offense warrants an S Rank.
Vaporeon for Low A Rank
Really there isn't much to be said; the ph set supports most teams easily and spreads burn extremely fast. I think you can agree with me on this placement.
Greninja for Mid B/High B Rank
The meta right now is extremely underprepared for Greninja; the fact is, most teams can't handle the coverage and speed offered by this thing, even though it gains no significant new toys to play with, since protean is still its best ability by far. If we look at the top ranked pokemon, literally every single offensive pokemon gets OHKO'd by a moveslot of Dark pulse/Low Kick/Hydro pump/Ice Beam. The defensive ones (like deoxys) can't even switch in. However, I think what holds it back is that it's weak to every single kind of priority out there.
Latios for High A Rank
Oh man, Latios. This thing is easily one of the most insane stallbreakers/wallbreakers in the game right now; almost nothing switches into its tinted lens sets, and the adaptability sets hit like a truck. It defogs very reliably with its pretty good speed stat, puts up a ton of offensive pressure, can cripple walls with trick, boost longevity with roost, or go for power + the ability to switch moves in life orb. A lot of the time, you'll find yourself sacrificing a mon to this thing without good predictions/multiple protect users.
And now, for some drops

Hawlucha for High C Rank
Why is this even in Mid B? It's walled by all the most common physical walls in the meta, is revenged killed by every priority move in the meta, etc. I guess it still has a niche in having a good speed tier to combine with something like scrappy, but even with that, hawlucha still isn't that great.
Regirock for Mid B rank
Regirock really isn't as good as it used to be. As a physical wall, it doesn't wall as many physical attackers as it should, and it has no reliable recovery, meaning it can't simply abuse sand stream as easily. Still, it's a great bird spam/victini check, and becomes pretty hard to kill in sand.
Thundurus-T for Mid C Rank
Almost completely outclassed by Thundurus-I. The only thing it does better is agility, and the 20 point SpA boost isn't that great anyways. Besides, Thundurus has much better sets it could be running, all of which are done better with Thundurus-I's superior speed tier and attack stat. Still, agility is somewhat good enough to earn Thundurus-T a small niche over thundurus-i.

New nominations:

Chatot for S++ Low B Rank
I think we all know what this does by now. Sweeps teams based on priority STAB 100% confusion move and learns nasty plot + boomburst + encore to help it sweep even more. Still, confusion can be unreliable at times, and it dies to any weak extremespeed (especially if rocks are up).

Swampert for High B Rank
Although it can be terrifying with its Drizzle + Swampertite set, the set can be rather easily walled and beaten, although for the teams that don't have switch-ins, things will definitely die. However, I've been experimenting with another set, PH + Curse, and it has worked beautifully. It's not hard to find opportunities to set up, as you can set up on anything ranging from chansey to victini to Thundurus-I. And once it gets going, well, there's not much stopping it, unless you happen to pull a random grass move out of the bag.

Florges for Low C Rank
I'm mostly promoting its specs set, since even though it sounds stupid, it still manages to put in a lot of work every single game I use it. Most people simply don't bring fairy resists, or what fairy resists they do have get 2HKO'd by moonblast. Don't use defensive variants. Defensive florges sucks in all tiers not named UU.

Jellicent for Low B Rank
Still a good poke, with prankster taunt + will-o-wisp. Can run volt absorb to easily dispatch Zapdos and mega manectric and friends. It has access to recover and scald, two of the most valued defensive moves in the game. Aside from that, though its defenses are lacking, and it really can't switch in to many moves without help of prediction.

Last edited:
Zapdos - list magic bounce, especially better than MG
Skarmory - list mold breaker
Chansey - list prankster (skill swap, charm, softboiled, toxic)
Mew - magic bounce is more common than sheer force and tinted lens
Mandibuzz - Volt Absorb, steals momentum off of volt switches and blocks zap cannons, good thundurus, zapdos, gengar, etc check
Gyarados - Magic Bounce before mevolving lets it beat unprepared stall teams
Lando-T/Garchomp - Mold Breaker (SR+SD+EQ for magic bounce, unaware, and levitate respectively)
Doublade/Aegis - mention levitate, lets it hard wall things like Terrakion, Haxorus, Mamoswine, Heracross
Cresselia - mention magic bounce, remove regenerator
Heatran - I'd remove mention of regenerator and Drought - chloro and desolate land are its best abilities
Kyurem - not common, but this thing has a nasty WP unburden set.
Regirock - sandstream
Genesect - remove tinted lens, it has plenty of coverage. add desolate land/primordial sea, for the immunities + flamethrower/solarbeam or technoblast/thunder respectively
Mawile-mega/Scizor-mega - can mention desolate land/primordial sea for their respective immunities to Scalds and Fire attacks/will-o-wisp that stay in play even after mega evolving, just keep in mind they each add a weakness as well (more noticeable with primordial sea)
All i can think of right now.
  • Top S Rank

• Mid S Rank

• High A Rank
  • Mid A Rank
Chansey - Magic Bounce,
Honchkrow - Gale Wings
  • Low A Rank
  • High B Rank
Vaporeon - Poison Heal
Snorlax - Poison Heal
  • Mid B Rank
Sylveon - Poison Heal,
Breloom - Prankster
  • Low B Rank
Togekiss - Gale Wings
  • High C Rank
Gothitelle - Shadow Tag
Ditto - Imposter
Marowak - Technican
  • Mid C Rank
  • Low C Rank
Greninja - Protean

Nominations:

Diancie - Poison Heal (high b/low a)
SR/Protect/Diamond Storm/Moonblast
-hits surprisingly hard without investment
-mixed attacker
-takes both physical and special hits easily
-sets SR
-great sustain
-beats every common gale wings user bar skarmory

Gourgeist - (high b)
Poison Heal(wow, seed, trick, protect), Prankster(wow, seed, dbond, sub)
wow+leech seed lets it beat most physical attackers
very useful typing featuring a ground resist, leech seed immunity, and spinblocks
Can cripple magic bounce or fire types looking to switch in for free with trick-orb, and helps team absorb opposing trickscarfs.
Can deal 25% dmg with wow+leech seed and recover ~31% with PH+seed+leftovers, effectively double with protect.
prankster sets can provide insurance with dbond and priority willowisp, and can have an easier time vs opposing sub users if it burns/seeds before the sub

I also have some nominations

Snorlax for High A Rank

Snorlax is one of the best pokemon in the game right now, I don't know how on earth it was only B+. I would honestly put it at S, but 1 step at a time. It walls nearly everything on the special side with its poison heal set, bar something like special lucario, and is one of the best win conditions right now with curse. It has very strong offensive presence with 140 base facade off 110 base attack. A staple on every stall team and is just so good. If the opponent doesn't have a fighting type or something that walls it like taunt counter skarmory, you will lose once it gets a chance to set up. Sort of like suicune with double the power and less weaknesses. While it may not be very versitile, it does its job as a special wall and an amazing win condition better than anything else in the game.

Victini for Mid S Rank

Victini is a pokemon that is not only extremely powerful with things like tough claws or drought v-create, and can even be backed up by a band. I mean, look at this calc:
252 Atk Choice Band Victini V-create vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune in Sun: 180-212 (44.5 - 52.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
This doesnt even take into account that it has bolt strike to hit water types
Against offense, it is one of those "pick your sac" pokemon, and against stall it can be a powerful wallbreaker. And that's just with its band set. It can run scarf to better beat offense, it can run magic guard life orb or desolate land life orb sets with energy ball and solarbeam to lure in would be counters such as rhyperior and regirock, and it could even run special sets with no guard or sheer force. Tough claws/desolate land sets with scarf or band are already worthy of A+, but its versatility makes it worthy of S rank and because we need more s rankers

Thundurus for High A Rank

Thundurus is just such a threat to every playstyle with its mixed refridgerate set. With thunderbolt, refridgerate return, knock off and superpower, it has coverage moves for nearly every pokemon. Chansey and snorlax get wrecked by knock off + superpower, goodra takes a shitton from return, and ground types eat a refridgerate return. It outspeeds most pokemon on offense, including powerful threats such as gengar and latios. It also is an ok check to birdspam, a lot it can't take a second brave bird. Unfortunately, it get shit on by extremespeed, but it is imo the best fast offensive pokemon in the meta and I think the rankings should reflect that.

Aegislash for High A Rank

Aegislash is so damn good. It checks or counters like 2/3 of the meta, including most fighting types and gale wings pokemon, some of the most spammed pokemon in the game. It can fire off powerful shadow balls and finish things off with shadow sneak. I don't really know what else to say; it works just as well as it did in ou, except in this meta we have even more prevalent birdspam which aegi is one of the best checks to.

Ferrothorn for Mid A Rank

Again, another pokemon that works just as well if not better in AAA than it does in OU, but in Ferrothorn's case it can remove the large majority of its checks and counters with flash fire. Flash Fire Ferrothorn is seriously amazing. It walls so much; including fire types bar infernape. While its only form of recovery in leech seed may not be reliable, it has some strong options for powerful attacks in power whip, gyro ball and knock off from 100+ base attack that can make it more than just annoying.

Latios for High A Rank

Seconding aesf's nomination, both adaptability and tinted lens latios are excellent wallbreakers, another one of those "pick your sac" pokemon. It has very few reliable counters outside of uncommon/weird things like regenerator heatran or registeel, and is one of the best defogers in the tier. Definitely worthy of A+

Rhyperior for Low A Rank

It has very similar bulk to registeel while running identical poison heal sets that wall the exact same things. I would say rhyperior is slightly better due to stab on earthquake and access to dragon tail, while others might think Regirock is better due to no double grass, water and single ice weakness(Which hardly matters as Regirock is not going to wall either of those pokemon anyway) Other than that they almost the same and should be ranked accordingly. I also disagree with aesf about it dropping, it is one of the best walls in the tier and the best reliable counter to birdpsam.

Also you should add poison heal to regirock's abilties, as that is the main set.

There is a lot more that I think needs to be ranked somewhere and but I will post about them later.

Current Nominations:
gtg soon so im gonna be brief here. theres lots of pokemon that I believe should move:

skarmory A+ -> A
skarm is not that great. the defensive set definitely does not deserve a+ as it is far too passive and easily taken advantage of by like half the meta, or even trapped by magnet pull users such as mega manectric. It does have a quite cool sd gale wings set, which is pretty good, but not as good as staraptor and braviary.

mew A -> A+
mew may run the exact same set it runs in ou, but the difference is aaa it can run whatever defensive ability it wants. prankster is the most annoying thing ever, poison heal gives you status immunity and non-knock offable passive healing, regenerator is good, flash fire/water absorb or those new weather abilities to fuck over weather teams and all the fire spam in this meta, volt absorb to stop volt switch spam, hell, you can even run mold breaker for things like magic bounce chansey. mew is sooooo fucking good, I have no idea why its not a+

lucario A- -> A+/S
ive talked about lucario before. its tough claws set is godlike, especially with pursuit support. tough claws espeed is sooo good for just wrecking offense, and +2 cc will kill anything that isnt a bulky resist (such as mew!) here are some replays I saved from last time i brought this up:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/almostanyability-171091304
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/almostanyability-170799963
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/almostanyability-170819981
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/almostanyability-171007913
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/almostanyability-171056253

snorlax, goodra, and regirock B+ and A- -> A
ive put them together because they're basically the same thing; 3 amazing walls that rely on poison heal/regenerator. these are imo some of the best walls in the game, they just wall so much. regirock stops victini, birdspam, and so many other physical things. goodra and snorlax wall almost everything on the special side, while having very good offensive presence, not being passive like chansey. they also have the very important niche of countering sheer force gengar. speaking of gengar...

gengar A- -> A+
ive talked about this before too, and I believe gengar deserves A+ because of the sheer power of its sheer force set. it has 2 very important qualities that give it a strong niche: the first is that it literally has no counters other than snorlax and goodra, and snoralx is shaky thanks to focus blast. this makes it an extremely powerful wallbreaker, and will completely demolish both stall and balance, especially if given hazard support to overwelm goodra/snorlax. the second is that it is a ghost type, making it an excellent extremespeed check in this meta where most people are running tough claws on their extreme speed users and not refridgerate. (although it cant live +2 lucario bullet punch, lucario2strong.) so yeah, gengar for a+ plz.

aegislash A- -> A+
come on its aegislash, wtf is it doing in A-

latios A- -> A+
similar thing to aegislash, it is still a really good poke, and it gains adapatabiltiy allowing it to de fucking stroy everything. heatran, aegislash and other steel types, aka the only switchins to this get worn down quickly due to so many of them lacking recovery

mega manectric unranked -> B+
a really good pokemon that works as an offensive birdspam check, can also run magnet pull to trap skarmory before mega evolving (thanks word), really good at cleaning teams and volt switching to provide momentum against stall.

also tornadus-t (drizzle/that new weather ability/no guard), ferrothorn(flash fire/prankster/drizzle for rain teams), dragonite(banded tough claws), honchkrow(only slightly worse than the other 2 gale wings users), and fucking shaymin-s(hello!??!) all need to be way higher.

thanks for reading my ramble, not really that brief is it :D
Mega-Swampert for B+/A- Rank

With Primiordal Sea and Swift Swim, M-Swampert is a dangerous sweeper. It has a great Typing, having only one (not very common) weak, a good offensive COverage while also hitting many A/S-Ranks for super effective damage. The good Bulk in 100/110/110 allows it to live most priority and being not KOed in M-EvolveTurn. Thanks to the insane 150BaseAttack+Rain, Waterfall OHKOs most offensive Threads that dont resist it. EQ and Ice Punch hits most things hard that Waterfall doesnt.

Mega-Camerupt for C+ Rank

Since M-Houndoom is ranked, M-Camerupt should also be ranked. I am not sure which rank it should be because i didnt try it out much. With Desolate Land, M-Rupt has an pretty decent typing which allows it to check a few threads. Its SF Sun STAB Fire Blast is very powerful and OHKOs many offensive threads. FBlast+EPower provides a pretty good STAB Coverage and hits most things very hard. It also has an good Coverage Move in Solar Beam and good SUpport Moves in SR or WoW.

Deoxys-S for S/A+ Rank

With Protean gone, Deoxys is not the god it was before. The Lead-Set and the Revenge Killer are still pretty good, but dont deserve Top S-Rank.

Shaymin-Sky for B+/A- Rank

Pls dont hate me, i love this thing. Skymin has 3 Sets with are all very good. PH SubSeed is pretty dangerous, can set-up on many things and and seed Stallteams without things like MagicBounce/Guard Zapdos to dead. SpecsTintedLens is very dangerous and can destroy unprepared Teams easily. Sub Sheer Force (<3) can force many things on HO to switch and set-up an sub. If it gets an Sub, something dies.
mega pinsir for A-/b+ rank
this pokemon came to me while I was unsurprisingly doing oml challenge and using illusion. once this pokemon sets up swords dance frustration quick attack and eq can wreck a lot of the meta especially if they switch into the wrong pokemon. only pokemons that can switch into this are levitaters and zapdos which after weakening can still be take out by +2 aerilate frustration.
"Promotions"

I've been playing with this thing a lot lately, and it's definitely one of the more underrated mons out there. Sub + coil lets it set up all over stall, Refrigerate extremespeed ensures that it can easily revenge kill things like thundurus and staraptor while making up for its average speed, and ground+ice coverage is simply great to have.
Skarmory for Mid S rank
EASILY the most "defining" pokemon in the meta now, almost everything it does is great; unaware, intimidate, flash fire, volt absorb, delta stream, magic bounce, prankster, and mold breaker are what make it A+ right now, with its sheer versatility. However, what held it back was lack of an offensive presence before, but now, with the swords dance set becoming very popular, it's actually a staple on hyper offense teams, being able to clean up, revenge kill, and check bird spam. I honestly think the versatility of defensive sets as well as being able to effectively run offense warrants an S Rank.
Vaporeon for Low A Rank
Really there isn't much to be said; the ph set supports most teams easily and spreads burn extremely fast. I think you can agree with me on this placement.
The meta right now is extremely underprepared for Greninja; the fact is, most teams can't handle the coverage and speed offered by this thing, even though it gains no significant new toys to play with, since protean is still its best ability by far. If we look at the top ranked pokemon, literally every single offensive pokemon gets OHKO'd by a moveslot of Dark pulse/Low Kick/Hydro pump/Ice Beam. The defensive ones (like deoxys) can't even switch in. However, I think what holds it back is that it's weak to every single kind of priority out there.
Latios for High A Rank
Oh man, Latios. This thing is easily one of the most insane stallbreakers/wallbreakers in the game right now; almost nothing switches into its tinted lens sets, and the adaptability sets hit like a truck. It defogs very reliably with its pretty good speed stat, puts up a ton of offensive pressure, can cripple walls with trick, boost longevity with roost, or go for power + the ability to switch moves in life orb. A lot of the time, you'll find yourself sacrificing a mon to this thing without good predictions/multiple protect users.
And now, for some drops

Hawlucha for High C Rank
Why is this even in Mid B? It's walled by all the most common physical walls in the meta, is revenged killed by every priority move in the meta, etc. I guess it still has a niche in having a good speed tier to combine with something like scrappy, but even with that, hawlucha still isn't that great.
Regirock for Mid B rank
Regirock really isn't as good as it used to be. As a physical wall, it doesn't wall as many physical attackers as it should, and it has no reliable recovery, meaning it can't simply abuse sand stream as easily. Still, it's a great bird spam/victini check, and becomes pretty hard to kill in sand.
Almost completely outclassed by Thundurus-I. The only thing it does better is agility, and the 20 point SpA boost isn't that great anyways. Besides, Thundurus has much better sets it could be running, all of which are done better with Thundurus-I's superior speed tier and attack stat. Still, agility is somewhat good enough to earn Thundurus-T a small niche over thundurus-i.

New nominations:

I think we all know what this does by now. Sweeps teams based on priority STAB 100% confusion move and learns nasty plot + boomburst + encore to help it sweep even more. Still, confusion can be unreliable at times, and it dies to any weak extremespeed (especially if rocks are up).

Swampert for High B Rank
Although it can be terrifying with its Drizzle + Swampertite set, the set can be rather easily walled and beaten, although for the teams that don't have switch-ins, things will definitely die. However, I've been experimenting with another set, PH + Curse, and it has worked beautifully. It's not hard to find opportunities to set up, as you can set up on anything ranging from chansey to victini to Thundurus-I. And once it gets going, well, there's not much stopping it, unless you happen to pull a random grass move out of the bag.

Florges for Low C Rank
I'm mostly promoting its specs set, since even though it sounds stupid, it still manages to put in a lot of work every single game I use it. Most people simply don't bring fairy resists, or what fairy resists they do have get 2HKO'd by moonblast. Don't use defensive variants. Defensive florges sucks in all tiers not named UU.

Jellicent for Low B Rank
Still a good poke, with prankster taunt + will-o-wisp. Can run volt absorb to easily dispatch Zapdos and mega manectric and friends. It has access to recover and scald, two of the most valued defensive moves in the game. Aside from that, though its defenses are lacking, and it really can't switch in to many moves without help of prediction.

Snorlax for High A Rank

Snorlax is one of the best pokemon in the game right now, I don't know how on earth it was only B+. I would honestly put it at S, but 1 step at a time. It walls nearly everything on the special side with its poison heal set, bar something like special lucario, and is one of the best win conditions right now with curse. It has very strong offensive presence with 140 base facade off 110 base attack. A staple on every stall team and is just so good. If the opponent doesn't have a fighting type or something that walls it like taunt counter skarmory, you will lose once it gets a chance to set up. Sort of like suicune with double the power and less weaknesses. While it may not be very versitile, it does its job as a special wall and an amazing win condition better than anything else in the game.

Victini for Mid S Rank

Victini is a pokemon that is not only extremely powerful with things like tough claws or drought v-create, and can even be backed up by a band. I mean, look at this calc:
252 Atk Choice Band Victini V-create vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune in Sun: 180-212 (44.5 - 52.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
Against offense, it is one of those "pick your sac" pokemon, and against stall it can be a powerful wallbreaker. And that's just with its band set. It can run scarf to better beat offense, it can run magic guard life orb or desolate land life orb sets with energy ball and solarbeam to lure in would be counters such as rhyperior and regirock, and it could even run special sets with no guard or sheer force. Tough claws/desolate land sets with scarf or band are already worthy of A+, but its versatility makes it worthy of S rank and because we need more s rankers

Thundurus for High A Rank

Thundurus is just such a threat to every playstyle with its mixed refridgerate set. With thunderbolt, refridgerate return, knock off and superpower, it has coverage moves for nearly every pokemon. Chansey and snorlax get wrecked by knock off + superpower, goodra takes a shitton from return, and ground types eat a refridgerate return. It outspeeds most pokemon on offense, including powerful threats such as gengar and latios. It also is an ok check to birdspam, a lot it can't take a second brave bird. Unfortunately, it get shit on by extremespeed, but it is imo the best fast offensive pokemon in the meta and I think the rankings should reflect that.

Aegislash for High A Rank

Aegislash is so damn good. It checks or counters like 2/3 of the meta, including most fighting types and gale wings pokemon, some of the most spammed pokemon in the game. It can fire off powerful shadow balls and finish things off with shadow sneak. I don't really know what else to say; it works just as well as it did in ou, except in this meta we have even more prevalent birdspam which aegi is one of the best checks to.

Ferrothorn for Mid A Rank

Again, another pokemon that works just as well if not better in AAA than it does in OU, but in Ferrothorn's case it can remove the large majority of its checks and counters with flash fire. Flash Fire Ferrothorn is seriously amazing. It walls so much; including fire types bar infernape. While its only form of recovery in leech seed may not be reliable, it has some strong options for powerful attacks in power whip, gyro ball and knock off from 100+ base attack that can make it more than just annoying.

Latios for High A Rank

Seconding aesf's nomination, both adaptability and tinted lens latios are excellent wallbreakers, another one of those "pick your sac" pokemon. It has very few reliable counters outside of uncommon/weird things like regenerator heatran or registeel, and is one of the best defogers in the tier. Definitely worthy of A+

Rhyperior for Low A Rank

It has very similar bulk to registeel while running identical poison heal sets that wall the exact same things. I would say rhyperior is slightly better due to stab on earthquake and access to dragon tail, while others might think Regirock is better due to no double grass, water and single ice weakness(Which hardly matters as Regirock is not going to wall either of those pokemon anyway) Other than that they almost the same and should be ranked accordingly. I also disagree with aesf about it dropping, it is one of the best walls in the tier and the best reliable counter to birdpsam.

Also you should add poison heal to regirock's abilties, as that is the main set.

There is a lot more that I think needs to be ranked somewhere and but I will post about them later.
Nominations:

Diancie - Poison Heal (high b/low a)
SR/Protect/Diamond Storm/Moonblast
-hits surprisingly hard without investment
-mixed attacker
-takes both physical and special hits easily
-sets SR
-great sustain
-beats every common gale wings user bar skarmory
I'm going to ban any further nominations and enter a discussion stage for now since the nomination to discussion ratio is very lopsided, and for the sake of accurate listing I think it would be better to have input from 3 or 4 people before changes are made. I'll unban nominations and update the tier list when enough discussion has come to reach a reasonable conclusion for most of these Pokemon. I'll get to writing down my own thoughts of the nominations when I have the time to do so as well.

Last edited:
Ok so I take back what I said a few weeks ago about skarmory, I have seen the light when I used swords dance skarmory. It is a god. Not sure if it should be S, but definitely don't drop it.
Regarding deoxys-s, I think you should just condense High S and Mid S into one S Rank. Without protean deoxys-s isn't really worthy of High S anymore, and it would be weird to have nothing in High S. Then put whatever we decide are the best 4 or 5 pokemon right now in S, as its weird to just have 2 S ranks. That might sound silly but I have thought for a while we should have more S Rank pokemon. IMO that would be Deoxys-S, Bisharp, Snorlax, Victini and possibly skarmory in the new S Rank.
I agree with everything else apart from regirock dropping. It may not have reliable recovery, but it has poison heal which makes it one of the best physical walls in the game, best counter to birdspam and fires such as victini (tied with rhyperior) It doesn't run sand stream, thats a bad set.

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
"Promotions"

Skarmory for Mid S rank
Vaporeon for Low A Rank
Latios for High A Rank
And now, for some drops

Hawlucha for High C Rank
Regirock for Mid B rank

New nominations:

Swampert for High B Rank

Florges for Low C Rank

Jellicent for Low B Rank
Copycat RKiling and cleaning with moonblast is what makes florges good. It's its best set rn and at least puts it at B-

I think diancie is one of the best pixilate users as it can run physical return with diamond stone, both stab. It's also a good stealth rock lead thanks to its bulk.

And arcanine is a good espeed pixilate/refridgeate user as well.

You should add Primiordal Sea to Genesects Abilities, Douse Drive with Techno Blast, Thunder, IB and Filler is pretty good and common.

Snorlax for High A Rank

Victini for Mid S Rank

Disagree with both Nominations.

I am not sure about Snorlax because I never tested it but ok. Snorlax is walled or checked by so many S and A Ranks. Bisharp, Braviary, Staraptor, Victini, Heatran, Terrakion, Mamo, Entei, Lucario, Blaziken, Hera, Gengar, Latios, Mawile and Lando can 2HKO/OHKO if unboosted. Many of them are a staple on offensive Teams so its not easy to set up. It is walled by all Ghost-Types if not running Crunch, hates Unaware and walled by most Walls (many of them can use Roar/Whirlwind). It has a bad defensive&offensive Typing and doesnt have any recovery outside of Poison Heal. A

Victini is a pretty awesome Pokemon, but imo not S-Rank worthy. It hates Priority (Sucker Punch, Brave Bird), hates Primordal Sea Genesect and Ferro which are both a staple on teams and Band Sets are checked by many threads like Terrakion or Latios. Not sure about this, but i think, A+ is fine.

Agree with most other things, i think, the following things should be considered:

Skarmory-->S
Mew-->A+
Snorlax-->A
Gengar-->A+
Aegi-->A+
Latios-->A
Mega Mane-->B+
Mega Swampert-->B+
Mega Camerupt-->B-
Skymin-->B+
Deoxys-->S
Mega Pinsir-->C
Zygarde-->B
Greninja-->B-
Hawlucha-->C
Chatot-->B+
Florges-->C
Diancie-->B

Last edited:
You should add Primiordal Sea to Genesects Abilities, Douse Drive with Techno Blast, Thunder, IB and Filler is pretty good and common.

Disagree with both Nominations.

I am not sure about Snorlax because I never tested it but ok. Snorlax is walled or checked by so many S and A Ranks. Bisharp, Braviary, Staraptor, Victini, Heatran, Terrakion, Mamo, Entei, Lucario, Blaziken, Hera, Gengar, Latios, Mawile and Lando can 2HKO/OHKO if unboosted. Many of them are a staple on offensive Teams so its not easy to set up. It is walled by all Ghost-Types if not running Crunch, hates Unaware and walled by most Walls (many of them can use Roar/Whirlwind). It has a bad defensive&offensive Typing and doesnt have any recovery outside of Poison Heal. A

Victini is a pretty awesome Pokemon, but imo not S-Rank worthy. It hates Priority (Sucker Punch, Brave Bird), hates Primordal Sea Genesect and Ferro which are both a staple on teams and Band Sets are checked by many threads like Terrakion or Latios. Not sure about this, but i think, A+ is fine.
I like how right after posting this insanelegend wrecks you with a snorlax...
Anyway, your description of checks is somewhat off. Snorlax infact checks Heatran and Gengar, not the other way around, although not so much when they have facade+fire punch. (Barring hax :P) Snorlax infact can setup on offensive Landorus-T, even if it has superpower. Depending on rolls it also setups on Entei, and Latios. After a curse, it will setup on everything except stab fighting types or like mega mawile. "Walled by most walls" "walled by most walls" lol. very specific. "walled by ghost types" Sets up on ghost types and kills them at +6 with earthquake. Normal is a pretty good offensive typing that has excellent coverage with earthquake. Defensively, its also only weak to fighting and has the sheer bulk to wall things. "doesnt have any recovery outside of poison heal" Yeah, I think you learnt firsthand how wrong you were about that lol. 1/8 every turn+protect gives it really good recovery.

Victini I don't really mind where it ends up, but primordal sea genesect isnt really a counter.

I like how right after posting this insanelegend wrecks you with a snorlax...
Anyway, your description of checks is somewhat off. Snorlax infact checks Heatran and Gengar, not the other way around, although not so much when they have facade+fire punch. (Barring hax :P) Snorlax infact can setup on offensive Landorus-T, even if it has superpower. Depending on rolls it also setups on Entei, and Latios. After a curse, it will setup on everything except stab fighting types or like mega mawile. "Walled by most walls" "walled by most walls" lol. very specific. "walled by ghost types" Sets up on ghost types and kills them at +6 with earthquake. Normal is a pretty good offensive typing that has excellent coverage with earthquake. Defensively, its also only weak to fighting and has the sheer bulk to wall things. "doesnt have any recovery outside of poison heal" Yeah, I think you learnt firsthand how wrong you were about that lol. 1/8 every turn+protect gives it really good recovery.

Victini I don't really mind where it ends up, but primordal sea genesect isnt really a counter.
That was why i changed A- to A after he wrecked me.
I never saw EQ on SNorlax, so pls forgive me :C
Gengar 2HKOs Snorlax, Heatran OHKOs with Drought Eruption, so Snorlax shouldnt set up on them. I meant lando-I, which can 2HKO with Focus Blast. Entei probaply 2HKOs with LO Sacred Fire and deals around 80% if Band Tinted Lens in Sun, Latios 2HKOs with Psyshock. Even if i guess, that Snorlax is pretty good, i dont think its A+ or S-Rank worthy.
Btw, Snorlax did not really "wrecked" me

I never said that Gene is a counter, it is just a good check

That was why i changed A- to A after he wrecked me.
I never saw EQ on SNorlax, so pls forgive me :C
Gengar 2HKOs Snorlax, Heatran OHKOs with Drought Eruption, so Snorlax shouldnt set up on them. I meant lando-I, which can 2HKO with Focus Blast. Entei probaply 2HKOs with LO Sacred Fire and deals around 80% if Band Tinted Lens in Sun, Latios 2HKOs with Psyshock. Even if i guess, that Snorlax is pretty good, i dont think its A+ or S-Rank worthy.
Btw, Snorlax did not really "wrecked" me

I never said that Gene is a counter, it is just a good check
forgiven :P Snorlax ohko gengar with earthquake, snorlax can actually survive a choice specs eruption in sun but DAMN that does way too much, I underestimated how that did, sorry you're right. yeah entei does check it at +2 with band in sun I guess, but I think the fact that you need fighting types or weather boosted attacks to break it show how good it is. snorlax did get 4 kills and pressured your team a huge amount.

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
I am not sure about Snorlax because I never tested it but ok
This is the main problem I find with threadsl ike these in the OM subforum :/ and heck, the main tier ones too! Is it too much to ask to try a pokemon before you even rank it? Please, it's the AAA rankings, not the theorymon rankings

This may seem a bit outrageous, but

Glaceon for High/Mid C rank

Glaceon under sticky web deals massive damage to teams. All the pokes like chansey, suicune, and cress that you think would counter it, get 2/3hkod EZ.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Technician Glaceon Frost Breath vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Suicune on a critical hit: 161-189 (39.8 - 46.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Technician Glaceon Frost Breath vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Chansey on a critical hit: 232-274 (32.9 - 38.9%) -- 99.8% chance to 3HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Technician Glaceon Frost Breath vs. 252 HP / 104 SpD Cresselia on a critical hit: 267-315 (60.1 - 70.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Technician Glaceon Frost Breath vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Deoxys-D on a critical hit: 205-243 (67.4 - 79.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Things like cresselia, suicune, etc. can't set up calm minds against it, and still don't ohko at +2. It may seem really biased seeing my picture, but whenever I use it, it forces switches and takes a chunk out of your opponent's team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)