Almost Any Ability ORAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the almost any ability (AAA) thread! This will be the main hub of AAA XY for all sorts of metagame discussion and any questions about the tier. AAA already has a permanent ladder on the main server, and is easy to play. If you want to discuss the meta on PS! or try to find an AAA tournament your best bet is the other metas room.

What is AAA?
AAA is a standard version of OU with a simple twist- your pokemon can swap out their normal abilities for almost any ability of your choosing (see the banlist below for abilities that are not allowed.) This opens the door to a very unique metagame, and a host of fascinating sets.

Banlist:

Abilities:
  • Aerilate
  • Contrary
  • Fur Coat
  • Huge/Pure Power
  • Imposter
  • Simple
  • Shadow Tag/Arena Trap (not magnet pull)
  • Speed Boost
  • Parental Bond
  • Wonder Guard
  • Protean
Mons:
  • Archeops
  • Kyurem-B
  • Regigigas
  • Shedinja + Sturdy
  • Slaking
  • Smeargle + Prankster
  • Weavile
  • Keldeo
Unbanlist:
  • Aegislash
  • Blaziken
  • Deoxys-D
  • Deoxys-S
  • Genesect
  • Mawilite
  • Shaymin-S
Note: all standard OU clauses apply

Council:
AAA was previously run by Monte Cristo , but due to his recent retirement from smogon it is now going to run by me. I have assembled a 5 man council to aid me in my leadership role. All council members are excellent AAA battlers, they will (with me) vote on what will or will not be banned. The decision of the council is final until another vote occurs, do not complain about our decisions. This thread is also not the place to suggest bans, especially if that is the entirety of your post. If you think something ought to be banned or unbanned, contact me or one of the other council members with your concerns and we will take it into consideration. The council is as follows:
Adrian Marin
asterat
Kl4ng
TheCommadore
w0rd
aesf

What should I post about in this thread?
  • Favorite/Innovative sets in AAA
  • Cores in AAA
  • Questions about AAA
  • How to counter [insert threat here]
  • General metagame discussion

Last edited:

MAMP

MAMP!
Protean Genesect seems pretty good, and I remember running Protean Deo-S to a lot of success before it was banned. Magic Bounce Deo-D could be good.

Genesect @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

Genesect @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
I could also see LO + sheer force as sheer force affects many of genesects move.
A -ate set could also be interesting since he has access to techno blast + Espeed

I'm really excited about deoxys defense, I think it is the best new thing.

Deoxys-Defense @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Seismic Toss
- Recover
- Thunder Wave / Taunt

I like this a lot- it's like cresselia but a million times less passive. Deoxys can spam knock off to really annoy everything but ph mons and megas. Seismic toss can wear down everything consistently, and can be dangerous in tandem with taunt. Thunder Wave slows down all sorts of stuff, but taunt can prevent set up.

Deoxys-Defense @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Knock Off
- Thunder Wave

Moldy hazards are even better than before- Aegislash can protect from spins now. Deoxys is probably tied with the best for this role with Shuckle, it has thunder wave, which is really annoying for foes.

Beta.

Ruff Ruff amirite?
Asterat for new leader! I for one approve of our new ant overlords.

But I agree completely. Deo-D has amazing defensive prowess in the tier, it can possibly be the best mon in terms of support. It also has great speed for support. At 90 speed, it can run max HP, and speed, to be able to take hits, and to outpseed other threats. It is also the best magic bouncer in the metagame right now. No argument. Any argument you provide me will be invalid.

TOUCH ME PLS (Deoxys-Defense) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Recover
- Toxic / Thunder Wave
- Spikes / Stealth Rocks
- Seismic Toss / Night Shade

Deo-D is such an amazing Pokemon in the current AAA metagame! Here's a set i've been using with good success:

Deoxys-Defense @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Recover
- Skill Swap
- Knock Off

This set works well as a Keldeo counter. Skill Swap allows it to handle Poison Heal Keldeo, as well as other annoying Poison Heal Pokemon. Additionally, Skill Swap may be used against a Magic Bounce Pokemon to set Stealth Rock easily. Knock Off is really annoying and allows it to cripple the incredibly common Magic Bounce Chansey and other threats.

Just wanted to point out Genesect:

Useful moves consist of:
Blaze Kick
Bug Buzz
Energy Ball
Dark Pulse
Extremespeed
Flamethrower
Flash Cannon
Gunk Shot
Ice Beam
Iron Head
Psychic
Thunderbolt
U-turn
X-scissor
Zen Headbutt
Techno Blast

You can abuse those moves with:
Flash Fire (bulk)
Protean/Sheer Force (power and coverage)
Tough Claws/Adaptability (power and shift gear)
Illusion (coverage for bluffing)
Magic Bounce/Magic Guard (better pivot)
Mold Breaker/Teravolt/Turboblaze (bypasses other abilities)
Multiscale (shift gear)
Moxie (sweeping?)
Regenerator (longevity)
Serene Grace (Flinching)

Definitely one of the best pokemon in the meta with the recent unbanning of certain ubers. Actually looking forward to see how this new meta will turn out.

I don't know yet how the meta will turn out, but I got worried after seing the unban of blaziken and mawile. So I looked for a bit trying to find a decent counter.

Flaming butthole (Moltres) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
- Air Slash
- Flamethrower
It can easily wall Mmawile and blaziken if they don't have rock slide. And hit both of them super effectively.
Magic guard also allows him to be a good defoger.

Also, here's another set I love using

Gangsta Jesus (Bisharp) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
The point of this set is simple. Switch on victini / latios / azelf and pursuit them to death. Pursuit on switch out will KO azelf and latios. Ko victini after rocks. Dread plate is an option to deal with victini a bit more easily. But without assault vest, bisharp doesn't appreciate switching on draco meteor. Your call

I honestly think Baton Pass should be banned in general. Things like Scolipede are already really hard to deal with, but it's made even worse by all the Prankster pokemon that give free boosts to teammates before you have a chance to stop it. Prankster Mew is a prime example. I feel that Baton Pass should be banned.

-----

In other news, I've really been enjoying using this set:

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Def / 152 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Giga Drain
- Psychic
- Hidden Power (Fire / Fighting / Ice) / Earth Power

Most people tend to target Celebi with Fire or Ice attacks, despite Celebi's numerous other weaknesses, which lets it set up on stuff it couldn't do otherwise, particularly pokemon that use Fire or Ice as coverage (for example Dragonite). The given EVs allow great physical bulk and more than enough speed to outstrip stuff like Dragonite and Chandelure, and set up Calm Mind to boost special bulk to ridiculous levels. Giga Drain and leftovers keep it healthy, Psychic is a strong STAB, and the coverage move of choice deals with whatever you need to prepare for. The EVs could be adjusted to suit your needs, but this works nicely for me. Just watch out for fast bugs like Scolipede or Scarf Heracross that will outspeed Psychic.

Last edited:

Pikachuun

the entire waruda machine
Why Weavile is broken?
Because you can take pretty much kill everything with its refrigerate set. One of the only ways to deal with it is physically defensive regirock, as specially defensive variants get 2hko'd by Low Kick and Double Edge.
252 Atk Life Orb Refrigerate Weavile Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Regirock: 169-200 (46.4 - 54.9%) -- 63.7% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Regirock: 177-208 (48.6 - 57.1%) -- 92.6% chance to 2HKO [Leftovers is bad when you could be running regenvest]
The only other option is Suicune, which cannot get 2hko'd even if specially defensive, and a bunch of other niche stuff which is too bad to be considered.

I was part of the initial testing of the suspects. Here is a brief description of each of the pokes we tested and how they fared in our test games.
  • Aegislash - aegis was similar to how he was before the ban of it in OU. He suffered from having to choose between having offensive use and getting to run one of the fun abilities. Still a good pokemon overall due to the typing and effectively high stats with stance change.

• Blaziken - I was not present for the blaze testing, note that its blaziken and not mega-blaziken that is unbanned.

• Deoxys-D - Deo-D was a powerful utility poke in our test games. It can run a multitude of sets and will be useful in a variety of teams, ranging from hard stall with bounce or other walling sets to hyper offense as a suicide mold breaker lead. It is a good fit with the current power level of the tier.

• Deoxys-S - Will undoubtedly run mold breaker suicide lead, and protean mixed attacker. The protean set is likely to be the most used and is fairly strong. Due to the severe 4mss on it though it will always have a healthy amount of counters. The trick is figuring out what those are.

• Genesect - We had high hopes for Genesect, and he disappointed in a major way. Without download gene is not nearly as scary. Those 120 offenses don't got nearly as far. Of the sets we tested banded protean seemed to be the most useful. Regenerator scarf was rather awful , as is genesect's bulk. I still think the bug has some potential with a scarf mixed protean or shift gear set.

• Mawilite - Maw had one set last time in AAA and that was the magic bounce swords dancer. It was a solid set vs stall teams but usually fell flat against balance or offense.

• Shaymin-S - Skymin disappointed me more than genesect. I thought its serene grace set would be powerful, but honestly it got walled by a surprising amount of walls that were already in use, such as zapdos and goodra. Much like genesect, I think skymin does have some hidden poential.

• Smeargle + Prankster - With magic bounce being on every single team, this probably should have happened sooner.

And now for the pokemon who were deemed too strong.

• Shedinja + Sturdy - Anybody who has played BH knows of Sturdinja's strength. It is the same here but you cannot slap sacred fire and magma storm on all of your sweepers.

• Archeops - Banded Head Smash can 2hko 252 hp/def impish regirock from full health. Chops has the right combination of power and speed to destroy everything in its way.

• Darkrai - With 125 speed, 135 special attack, and an 80% accurate sleep move, darkrai was perfectly suited to tear through teams. The sheer force set out speeds almost the entire metagame and 2hko's/sleeps anything that isn't magic bounce chansey.

• Deoxys-N - Deo-N mandates that it be volt switched or u-turned in, but once it is in deoxys kills everything. Both the protean and sheer force sets were sufficient to plow through teams like they were made of paper.

You can still use download, its just that with things like protean, adaptability, -ates, and sheer force it is not relatively as good as it was in ou. I acutally did consider using download on gene but never got around to trying it.

I miss Monte/Oi, but I'm loving the new direction this metagame is taking with asterat's leadership. Good job asterat and council!
I for one, welcome our new Ubers drops and have made a couple sets that I'm looking forward to try out.
Blaziken @ Life Orb
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 200 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off/Brave Bird
- Substitute
This variant has perfect coverage bar Azumarill and Flash Fire Fairies with Knock Off and bar Flare Fire Aegislash, Thundurus and Zapdos with Brave Bird (none of which exist probably) and takes advantage of Blaziken's strong recoil moves without killing itself. It will perform greatly against stall and Substitute helps it overcome its lacking speed against offense.
Calcs:
252+ Atk Life Orb Blaziken High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 187-222 (46.2 - 54.9%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Life Orb Blaziken Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 192-229 (48.7 - 58.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Life Orb Blaziken High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 164-192 (49.1 - 57.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Toxic/Spikes/Recover/Thunder Wave
- Knock Off/Seismic Toss
Deo-D is a really great lead and Mold Breaker stops Magic Bouncers in their tracks. Knock Off is also nice for knocking off Toxic Orbs on the switch and Thunder Wave can negate them as well.

I also thought of a really nice wallbreaker with Sniper that I can't wait to use:
Hydreigon @ Scope Lens
Ability: Sniper
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Focus Energy
- Draco Meteor
- Flash Cannon
- Dark Pulse
This raises Hydreigon's power to above that of Nasty Plot that can't be ignored by Unaware and has great coverage. Draco Meteor is the strongest move Hydreigon has and is not affected by the SpA drop after Focus Energy, Flash Cannon hits Fairies and Dark Pulse hits most steels an is STAB (I didn't want Fire Blast because of Flash Fire Ferrothorn and Skarm).
Calcs:
252 SpA Sniper Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Blissey on a critical hit: 298-352 (45.7 - 53.9%) -- 95.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Sniper Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Suicune on a critical hit: 414-487 (102.4 - 120.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Sniper Hydreigon Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Sylveon on a critical hit: 231-273 (58.6 - 69.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery (Hydreigon loses this one :/)
252 SpA Sniper Hydreigon Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mew on a critical hit: 414-489 (102.4 - 121%) -- guaranteed OHKO

EDIT: Just noticed asterat thought of Mold Breaker Deoxys-D before I did. He deserves the Greninja avatar more than I do lol.

Last edited:
I miss Monte/Oi, but I'm loving the new direction this metagame is taking with asterat's leadership. Good job asterat and council!
I for one, welcome our new Ubers drops and have made a couple sets that I'm looking forward to try out.
Blaziken @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off/Brave Bird
- Substitute
This variant has perfect coverage bar Azumarill and Flash Fire Fairies with Knock Off and bar Flare Fire Aegislash, Thundurus and Zapdos with Brave Bird (none of which exist probably) and takes advantage of Blaziken's strong recoil moves without killing itself. It will perform greatly against stall and Substitute helps it overcome its lacking speed against offense.
Calcs:
252+ Atk Life Orb Blaziken High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 187-222 (46.2 - 54.9%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Life Orb Blaziken Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 192-229 (48.7 - 58.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Life Orb Blaziken High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 164-192 (49.1 - 57.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Knock Off/Seismic Toss
Deo-D is a really great lead and Mold Breaker stops Magic Bouncers in their tracks. Knock Off is also nice for knocking off Toxic Orbs on the switch and Thunder Wave can negate them as well.
I also thought of a really nice wallbreaker with Sniper that I can't wait to use:
Hydreigon @ Scope Lens
Timid Nature
- Focus Energy
- Draco Meteor
- Flash Cannon
- Dark Pulse
This raises Hydreigon's power to above that of Nasty Plot that can't be ignored by Unaware and has great coverage. Draco Meteor is the strongest move Hydreigon has and is not affected by the SpA drop after Focus Energy, Flash Cannon hits Fairies and Dark Pulse hits most steels an is STAB (I didn't want Fire Blast because of Flash Fire Ferrothorn and Skarm).
Calcs:
252 SpA Sniper Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Blissey on a critical hit: 298-352 (45.7 - 53.9%) -- 95.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Sniper Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Suicune on a critical hit: 414-487 (102.4 - 120.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Sniper Hydreigon Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Sylveon on a critical hit: 231-273 (58.6 - 69.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery (Hydreigon loses this one :/)
252 SpA Sniper Hydreigon Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mew on a critical hit: 414-489 (102.4 - 121%) -- guaranteed OHKO

EDIT: Just noticed asterat thought of Mold Breaker Deoxys-D before I did. He deserves the Greninja avatar more than I do lol.
Please for the next time, leave some space between sets. This is quite hard to read.
Blaziken was good because of speed boost, it's pretty slow otherwise. And it'll have a hard time with gale wing users. But it sounds like a good stallbreaker.

OLD GREGG (im back baby)

old gregg for life
Blaziken @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off/Brave Bird
- Substitute
Calcs:
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Knock Off/Seismic Toss
Hydreigon @ Scope Lens
Timid Nature
- Focus Energy
- Draco Meteor
- Flash Cannon
- Dark Pulse
Calcs:

I have played around with a Crit Hydra and it isn't bad. Just wanted you to know that if you want to run a dedicated crit set then Super Luck>Sniper.

It's really slow, but I think Sheer Force/Protean Octillery has some potential with that huge move pool.

Octillery @ Assault Vest/Life Orb
Ability: Protean/Sheer Force
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast/ Signal Beam
- Energy Ball/ Flash Cannon/ Psychic
- Sludge Bomb/Sludge Wave (Use sludge wave for SF)
- Scald/ Ice Beam
I literally just slashed every somewhat useful move on here, lol.
OR
Octillery @ Assault Vest/ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Seed Bomb/ Bullet Seed
- Waterfall
- Payback/ Rock Blast
- Gunk Shot

The physical side doesn't have much to abuse SF with, but the special set gets SF on practically everything.

Last edited:
Just thought I'd mention one of my more successful gimmick sets:

Excadrill @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Atk / 120 Def / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin / Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide

After losing a couple of times to Sheer Force Thundurus and Sheer Force Gengar as well as needing a better rocker/spinner, I found the perfect mon for the job. Since you're not walling Gengar with a regular ability outside of using chansey, I realized that bulletproof stops it pretty well, and Excadrill was a pretty decent user of it. Gengar's 6 most common moves, Substitute, Shadow Ball, Focus Blast, Sludge Wave, Energy Ball, and Thunderbolt all can't touch Excadrill, giving it a free EQ or rocks or potential predicted spin. Thundurus's only way of touching Excadrill is through a +2 HP ice, although they always go for focus miss anyways, giving you a free kill with rock slide (120+ attack EVs OHKOs after rocks). Iron Head kills the fairies that are so annoying in the tier, such as Clefable, Aromatisse, and Sylveon. It puts in a surprising amount of work, considering the popularity of Gyro Ball, Focus Miss, and Shadow Ball

It's really slow, but I think Sheer Force/Protean Octillery has some potential with that huge move pool.

Octillery @ Assault Vest/Life Orb
Ability: Protean/Sheer Force
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast/ Signal Beam
- Energy Ball/ Flash Cannon/ Psychic
- Sludge Bomb/Sludge Wave (Use sludge wave for SF)
- Scald/ Ice Beam
I literally just slashed every somewhat useful move on here, lol.
OR
Octillery @ Assault Vest/ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Seed Bomb/ Bullet Seed
- Waterfall
- Payback/ Rock Blast
- Gunk Shot

The physical side doesn't have much to abuse SF with, but the special set gets SF on practically everything.
No bulk, no speed and average offense. I really don't see octillery doing much in this tier.
Phisical version walled by skarmory, wich is really common. Special walled by most flash fire steel types (ferro)
On top of that. I'm pretty sure this set was already posted by old in the old AAA page.

Just thought I'd mention one of my more successful gimmick sets:

Excadrill @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Atk / 120 Def / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin / Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide

After losing a couple of times to Sheer Force Thundurus and Sheer Force Gengar as well as needing a better rocker/spinner, I found the perfect mon for the job. Since you're not walling Gengar with a regular ability outside of using chansey, I realized that bulletproof stops it pretty well, and Excadrill was a pretty decent user of it. Gengar's 6 most common moves, Substitute, Shadow Ball, Focus Blast, Sludge Wave, Energy Ball, and Thunderbolt all can't touch Excadrill, giving it a free EQ or rocks or potential predicted spin. Thundurus's only way of touching Excadrill is through a +2 HP ice, although they always go for focus miss anyways, giving you a free kill with rock slide (120+ attack EVs OHKOs after rocks). Iron Head kills the fairies that are so annoying in the tier, such as Clefable, Aromatisse, and Sylveon. It puts in a surprising amount of work, considering the popularity of Gyro Ball, Focus Miss, and Shadow Ball
I just slapped grass knot on thundy to beat rhyperior and you come up with that ? lol
The only thing I want to ask is, does it do anything in a team without gengar or thundy ? But still, looks great.

No bulk, no speed and average offense. I really don't see octillery doing much in this tier.
Phisical version walled by skarmory, wich is really common. Special walled by most flash fire steel types (ferro)
On top of that. I'm pretty sure this set was already posted by old in the old AAA page.
I didn't check the old AAA page before posting this. It might have some use on a trick room team, not that anyone runs those (do they?). It seems strange that something with that many moves can be walled completely by anything, but I will admit it doesn't have much bulk, even with a vest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)