AAA Almost Any Ability

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
So this is my post on the viability of an oft overlooked and undervalued ability, Cute Charm, and its best abuser, Lopunny!

...just kidding.

My pathetic attempt to make this post not a meme:
Are there any mons with trapping moves that are good at abusing Illusion? Zydog maybe? What benefits from the mons they can remove / lures these mons in? What archetypes would this fit on. I want to abuse Illusion trapping :'(

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
i guess i should probably remove cute charm lopunny from the viability rankings...all jokes aside, yeah, some people just want to either abuse something that's currently illegal (intimidate incineroar) or something banned (like aegislash iirc) so they keep looking through the tiers until their team is playable. and we happen to be one of the best for that.

I usually don't post to say that but I really think AAA is ,at the moment, not pleasant to play.
All team uses Stall core and is unbreakable if the guy has a decent level.
Something has to be done (I know a few guy already said that), because a cancer tier isn't the best way to attract new guys and keep people who doesn't want have to play cancer to be good at this tier.

Like some people said, stop thinking Fluffy isn't broken because of its Fire weakness, we all know Buzzwole or another paired with Suicune, Zygarde deal with that fire weakness.
I think ban this ability as first step will be benefit for the metgame and its pleasure.

To not only post this, here is one of my favorite set I play:
Kartana@Choice Band
Steelworker
- Smart Strike
- Leaf Blade
- Psycho Cut
- Sacred Sword

PS: Sorry for my grammar, I'm not very good with English as you can see.

I just stopped by to say that under no special conditions(and under no mold breaker users),Sap Sipper Swampert,Gastrodon,Seismitoad,or any of their evolutions with the same typing,have no real weaknesses

PS:I'm new,feel free to correct me

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
I just stopped by to say that under no special conditions(and under no mold breaker users),Sap Sipper Swampert,Gastrodon,Seismitoad,or any of their evolutions with the same typing,have no real weaknesses

PS:I'm new,feel free to correct me
technically speaking mold breaker grass and freeze dry (ice move that hits super effective on water) are the only two that hit ground water, both of which dont really see enough usage to be deemed "usable" :P technically they have weaknesses, but so rare i wouldnt even really call them that

Sylveon.

Penny saved is still a fucking penny
A cool stall-breaking set I have been trying out for last few days, involving not so popular lando-t. Seeing that refrigerate isn't that popular anymore outside weavile I guess(even that runs technician most of the time), so I was trying out a double dance set of lando-t as a sweeper with aerialate. But after a few matches I kind of invented this set, which actually works quite well vs stall teams.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Tinted Lens
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Fly
- Rock Polish
This set utilises dual STABs on lando along with tinted lens as an ability. It basically tries to utilise Z-Crystal to take on common physical walls on stall like skarmory which in turn opens up holes in their team. It won't straight up sweep teams due to unaware being common, but it lures things which generally lando doesn't break through at all, as well as gives you an inherent advantage against aforementioned teams. Also Rock Polish +Tinted Lens means it isn't dead-weight against offensive teams either. Basically you'll have to know on which mon are you willing to use your Z-crystal before hand.
One impressive thing is at +2 it 1HKOes defensive skarmory with Flying Z move. :)
+2 252+ Atk Tinted Lens Landorus-Therian Supersonic Skystrike vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 384-454 (114.9 - 135.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Tinted Lens Landorus-Therian Fly vs. 252 HP / 172+ Def Zapdos: 302-356 (78.6 - 92.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Edit : Shit 500th post lol

Has anyone looked at Victini? With a CB Stakeout set it OHKOs Chansey after rocks with V-Create (No, not the fluffy one. It OHKOes STANDARD Chansey after rocks and does the same to hippo) and Firium Z combined with Sunny Day allows it to boost to +1 speed and gain a disgustingly powerful V-Create which can be combined with Beast Boost for no speed drops. A Stakeout Scarf set is also terrifying, giving it pseudo-trapping in that it can easily KO pretty much anything on the switch. It's also quite versatile, being able to run Soul Heart, Desolate land etc. It also is one of the few mons that can deal with Buzzwole.

STAKEOUT is good, isn't it?

Hoopa-Unbound @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Stakeout
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dark Pulse
- Destiny Bond
- Psyshock
- Trick

Kartana @ Life Orb
Ability: Stakeout
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Night Slash
- Sacred Sword
- Smart Strike

Latias @ Leftovers
Ability: Stamina
Evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
-Calm Mind
-Stored Power
-Refresh/Dragon Pulse
-Recover

The premise is simple: Stamina gives you +1 defense everytime you get hit, not only making Latias bulkier every hit... it also boosts Stored Power even further just by taking hits.

CM boosts Stored Power and makes you nearly impossible to die from special hits, Refresh gets rid of status (Dragon Pulse hits most mons immune to Stored Power), Recover is mandatory so you can endure hits so Stamina kicks in.

Chesnaught @ Fist Plate / Salac Berry
Ability: Triage
Evs: 4 HP /252 Atk / 252 Spe or 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
-Belly Drum
-Drain Punch
-Stone Edge/ Rock Slide
-Seed Bomb / Leech Seed

Also simple: as the only Belly Drum + draining move with STAB of the meta, Chensaught can get some nice opportunities of sweeping. Instant +6 and priority Drain Punch is pretty good for sure. Too bad it doesn't learn Horn Leech or it would be 2 STAB moves with priority.

Wailord @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Innards Out
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpA
Lonely Nature
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Body Slam
- Earthquake

So this is the Idea. People usually expect chansey to have Innards Out but no one will expect wailord. Plus its amazing 45/45 defences and its 170 hp makes it a bomb ready to tick. The sitrus berry is there for in case you get injured and still survive.

Wailord @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Innards Out
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpA
Lonely Nature
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Body Slam
- Earthquake

So this is the Idea. People usually expect chansey to have Innards Out but no one will expect wailord. Plus its amazing 45/45 defences and its 170 hp makes it a bomb ready to tick. The sitrus berry is there for in case you get injured and still survive.
you'd probably want to do max hp, minimum defenses for that

a better trick for wailord would be faking IO and running scarfed adaptability or mold breaker water spout
an even better trick would be not running wailord because 252+ scarfed is still outsped by most relevant offensive mons and guzz does both gimmicks better

a better trick for wailord would be faking IO and running scarfed adaptability or mold breaker water spout
an even better trick would be not running wailord because 252+ scarfed is still outsped by most relevant offensive mons and guzz does both gimmicks better
Sadly, Mold Breaker is announced, so that would not work. Scarf Adaptability or Tinted Lens sounds like a cool idea, though.
Or just specs Trick Room Wailord, because it's kind of slow, and could use the defenses.

Laxpras

One small yeet for man, one giant yeet for mankind
As far as I can tell, the Fluffy suspect will start next week, so I'd like to get the discussion started now.

The most prominent Fluffy users, Buzzwole and Skarmory, are near impossible to break with physical attacks. The most prevalent and reliable way to bypass Fluffy, Earthquake, is useless against both of them. It's been explained fairly thoroughly in previous posts why Fluffy is so damn good, but I have two points for people to think about:

1. Other Fluffy users
Skarmory and Buzzwole are clearly the best users, as they already fear Fire and they have incredible physical bulk. Additionally, they don't fear many physical attacks that bypass Fluffy. However, are there any unorthodox Fluffy sets that you can think of? Keep in mind, you don't have to use Fluffy as a defensive ability. Fluffy Quiver Dance Volcarona is a great set up mon that can tank much of the meta.

2. Fluffy lures
I'm not talking about something like Hoopa-U who can just beat Fluffy since Hyperspace doesn't make contact. Can you think of a set that would make an opponent switch a Buzzwole or Skarmory in, but you actually have the matchup advantage? One thought is Protective Pads (an item which make moves not make contact), another thing to consider is threats that are typically physical, but have a usable special attack, such as Lucario.

What can you think of?
Of course post any other thoughts about Fluffy, or the meta in general, if you have them.

Quick note that the OP doesn't list Shadow Tag as a banned ability (it is banned on ladder.)

edit at below: alright makes sense

Last edited:
As far as I can tell, the Fluffy suspect will start next week, so I'd like to get the discussion started now.

The most prominent Fluffy users, Buzzwole and Skarmory, are near impossible to break with physical attacks. The most prevalent and reliable way to bypass Fluffy, Earthquake, is useless against both of them. It's been explained fairly thoroughly in previous posts why Fluffy is so damn good, but I have two points for people to think about:

1. Other Fluffy users
Skarmory and Buzzwole are clearly the best users, as they already fear Fire and they have incredible physical bulk. Additionally, they don't fear many physical attacks that bypass Fluffy. However, are there any unorthodox Fluffy sets that you can think of? Keep in mind, you don't have to use Fluffy as a defensive ability. Fluffy Quiver Dance Volcarona is a great set up mon that can tank much of the meta.

2. Fluffy lures
I'm not talking about something like Hoopa-U who can just beat Fluffy since Hyperspace doesn't make contact. Can you think of a set that would make an opponent switch a Buzzwole or Skarmory in, but you actually have the matchup advantage? One thought is Protective Pads (an item which make moves not make contact), another thing to consider is threats that are typically physical, but have a usable special attack, such as Lucario.

What can you think of?
Of course post any other thoughts about Fluffy, or the meta in general, if you have them.
Other fluffy users: I've had some success with offensive scizor; no one is ever surprised when it easily lives attacks and assume it's bulky, which lets me set up swords dances easily before mega evolving. It's also really easy to bluff flash fire, so people almost never try it.
I've also used fluffy kartana to great effect. When people look at it, they seem to forget that it's as physically bulky as Ferrothorn, so it's always great when people try and take it out with, say, scarf terrakion and have 252 Atk Adaptability Terrakion Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Fluffy Kartana: 208-248 (80.3 - 95.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO happen. The fire weakness never ends up being relevant, as on physical hits it cancels out and the idea of kartana living a special fire move is ridiculous.

As far as luring fluffy goes, I like Fire Blast Dragonite. You don't even need investment or a life orb, you just 0- SpA Dragonite Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Fluffy Skarmory: 380-448 (113.7 - 134.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO. It also takes on buzzwole, either with fire blast or directly with a 4x se extreme speed.
Another thing I like is stakeout Zygdog. It's almost impossible to switch into with choice band+stakeout, but it's really easy to bluff an -ate set. Ordinarily, 252 Atk Zygarde Thousand Arrows vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 70-84 (20.9 - 25.1%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery happens, so it's easy to convince them to switch it in and take the hit before roosting, but coming in on 252 Atk Choice Band Stakeout Zygarde Thousand Arrows vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 210-247 (62.8 - 73.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery is an entirely different story. Unfortunately, buzzwole comes in on outrage and takes like 30%, but since zygarde really only needs those two moves (and maybe extreme speed) you can slot in HP Fire/Flying or more likely drop a draco meteor on it 0- SpA Stakeout Zygarde Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Buzzwole: 349-412 (83.4 - 98.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery.

About Fluffy:
You should always keep in mind that every z-move bypasses fluffy. So for example these sets are very effective fluffy lures:

Kartana @ Grassium Z
Ability: Tinted Lens
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Swords Dance
- Sacred Sword
- Night Slash

+2 252 Atk Tinted Lens Kartana Bloom Doom(175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Buzzwole: 418-492 (100 - 117.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Tinted Lens Kartana Bloom Doom(175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 206-244 (61.6 - 73%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Dragonite @ Firium Z
Ability: Aerilate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Lonely/Naughty Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Dance
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake

0 SpA Dragonite Inferno Overdrive(185 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 354-418 (105.9 - 125.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO <-- this is even without fluffy xD
0 SpA Dragonite Inferno Overdrive vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Buzzwole: 442-520 (105.7 - 124.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO <-- and this aswell

or (seemingly)physical attackers with good spatk like kyurem-b:

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Refrigerate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash/Mild Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Fusion Bolt
- Return
- Filler

252+ SpA Life Orb Refrigerate Kyurem-Black Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Buzzwole: 395-465 (94.4 - 111.2%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Refrigerate Kyurem-Black Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 317-374 (94.9 - 111.9%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

or physical attackers with moves such as stone edge

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Adaptability
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Superpower
- Pursuit

252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Buzzwole: 210-248 (50.2 - 59.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO <-- this needs to be rocky helmet or so becasue leftovers isnt a safe 2hko
252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 208-246 (62.2 - 73.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

^^I have encountered all these sets on the ladder.

Funbot28

Banned deucer.

Anywyas, I feel Genesis Supernove Mew will actually be an interesting threat in AAA due to the fact that it can run a plethora of great offensive abilities alongside the affects of Psychic Terrain that gets called up by this move. This means that offensive Mew sets might actually be really scary due to Psychic Terrain blocking priority moves. I know the affects only last 5 turns, but maybe thats just enough to absolutely demolish the enemy team...

Here is something I came up with:

+

Scolipede (F) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 208 Def / 48 Spe
Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Protect
- Attract
- Baton Pass

Mew @ Mewnium Z
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 56 HP / 252 SpA / 200 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Ice Beam / Thunderbolt
- Aura Sphere
- Nasty Plot

Classic ScoliPass into Nasty Plot Mew might be actually terryfying to deal with thanks to Mew's amazing coverage options alongside its Psychic STAB. IIRC, Psychic under Psychci Terrain can 2HKO Chansey after a Nasty Plot boost, and can OHKO targets such as Tapu Fini, Suicune, and even Skarmory if I am not mistaken.

What are your guys thoughts on Mewnium Z's release?

Last edited by a moderator:

Laxpras

One small yeet for man, one giant yeet for mankind
Fluffy Suspect Announcement
We're going to being a suspect of the ability Fluffy. Fluffy provides a x2 boost to defense against any move that makes contact at the cost of an added weakness to fire. This makes Fluffy almost like a "Fur Coat clone" as the majority of physical moves do make contact, and the fire weakness has not been too costly in the current meta.

Fluffy will be allowed during the suspect.

The requirements to vote are only 2700 COIL on the suspect ladder. This is a fairly low requirement, so I hope many of you will take the little bit of time required to participate.

Feel free to post your opinions about Fluffy at any time, regardless if you have met the reqs or not. To make your vote, please comment a screenshot of your reqs and in bold write BAN or DO NOT BAN.

The suspect will end on February 8th.

The Immortal

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)