Pokémon Alola Marowak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marowaks Niche its that its not another passive tank, its a powerfull tank that checks the plethorra of ou offensive threats and punishes hard cause it 2Kos the entire meta thanks to its raw power (which by the way if you lack flare Blitz lando easily comes more than one time), also vs stall the recoil doesnt matter cause in that Match up marowak is not supposed to tank but its supposed to break by itself or help to break stall teams making the job of other breakers easyer.
Alowak only situationally 2HKOs the entire meta. The statement " it 2Kos the entire meta " is misleading. Hoopa-U 2HKOs the entire meta. Kyub 2HKOs the entire meta. Alowak 2HKOs things if it predicts the switch right and uses the right move, and, a very big IF, if it outspeeds them.

When you try to play Alowak as an offensive mon, you pay a greater opportunity cost in giving up it's passable bulk (read: if you're running max attack, you're not running the tank, and if you're heavily Spe invested, you done fuxed up) and cutting into it's passable longevity (by using blitz), and in turn, you're giving up it's niche as a more-than-one-time-counter to top tier threats. What you get in exchange for this opportunity cost is a one time nuke.

That's not a good exchange. Like, you can choose from soo many wallbreakers that can actually come in and wallbreak more than once, that can outspeed things, that have better SE coverage even. By using max-attack Flare Blitz, you are not utilizing Alowak's main niche. You are attempting to create another, inferior, niche that is wholly, 100%, entirely outclassed.

If you're saying 'recoil doesn't matter vs stall' and that Alowak's niche is 2HKOing the entire meta, I really think you haven't used it enough to understand it. Alowak cannot stick around long enough to do it's job if you're playing it as a wallbreaker. It's job is NOT to 2HKO things. It's job is to hard counter threats, fuck with volt-turn, steal momentum, and try to smack 1 thing pretty fucking hard every time it comes in, before switching out immediately. Alowak softens the opposing team, it's a utility of this poke, not the main feature. The main feature is typing + lightning rod.

There's simply no reason to run wallbreaker Alowak when it will only be able to do it's job in situational matchups (it's not at all uncommon that an entire team will outspeed your Alowak) and there are better wallbreakers in the tier. lots of them. there are no better counters to volt-turn, genesect, pheromosa, magnezone, buzzwole, tapu koko, etc.
all rolled into one.

But really I guess I just encourage you to try it. Both sets, but try wallbreaker and I bet you after a couple of games when wallbreaker-wak just isn't pulling it's weight, you'll feel you've wasted a slot and either change it out for a better breaker or change to the tank set.

EDIT:

ppl keep saying Alowak checks things. Be real, Alowak straight up hard-counters the things we're talking about. THIS is it's niche.

ppl keep saying Alowak checks things. Be real, Alowak straight up hard-counters the things we're talking about. THIS is it's niche.
People keep saying that Alolan Marowak checks things and not counters them because of the lack of reliable recovery (not even Leftovers!). Plain and simple: you can't hard-counter things without reliable recovery. Your low Spe let you being outsped most of the time, so your opponent can weaken it at the point it can't check reliably anything.

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Flare Blitz
- Bonemarang
- Flame Charge

I see nicely this moveset: you forget the utility provided by WoW, but you gain a Spe boost to rectify your meager Spe. Normally, you reach 189 Spe and at +1 283, tying with Mega Garchomp (I don't know why it is still ranked with the new Spe mechanic) and outspeeding some slower monster.
You need the possibility to click Flame Charge and connect it as fast as possible in order to dish out Flare Blitz which now makes more sense.

With a Jolly nature you reach 207 Spe and 310 at +1, tying with Charizard Mega-X and Volcarona, both base 100 Spe pokemons with a Jolly nature + 184 EVs.

Last edited:
People keep saying that Alolan Marowak checks things and not counters them because of the lack of reliable recovery (not even Leftovers!). Plain and simple: you can't hard-counter things without reliable recovery. Your low Spe let you being outsped most of the time, so your opponent can weaken it at the point it can't check reliably anything.

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Flare Blitz
- Bonemarang
- Flame Charge

I see nicely this moveset: you forget the utility provided by WoW, but you gain a Spe boost to rectify your meager Spe. Normally, you reach 189 Spe and at +1 283, tying with Mega Garchomp (I don't know why it is still ranked with the new Spe mechanic) and outspeeding some slower monster.
You need the possibility to click Flame Charge and connect it as fast as possible in order to dish out Flare Blitz which now makes more sense.

With a Jolly nature you reach 207 Spe and 310 at +1, tying with Charizard Mega-X and Volcarona, both base 100 Spe pokemons with a Jolly nature + 184 EVs.
I don't know about Flame Charge. It's uses seem fairly limited, because although Marowak has a number of free switch-ins (against Pheromosa, Tapu Koko, and other Electrics), most of the time they'll pivot out through a double switch or U-Turn anticipating a Marowak switch-in anyway, so you won't get the free turn to click Flame Charge before a check switches in.

And even if you do get to click Flame Charge on your check's switch-in, that check is going to be something like a Landorus-T or Tapu Fini that beats Alolan Marowak with +1 speed just as easily as if it had no speed boost. After a speed boost, you'll have 310 speed maximum, which still isn't great. Your checks will still be able to take a hit, unless they're seriously weakened, in which case you could have just clicked one of your more powerful moves and gotten the kill on the switch anyway.

You're honestly better off with Wisp to cripple bulky grounds that switch in, or even Swords Dance if you really want to try to sweep bulkier teams. I'd recommend Wisp though.

what of significant value does it bring in the role for an OU team that I could not manage to achieve using another Wallbreaker or tweaking another member or two of my team?
Obviously, two pokemon doing two different jobs is more efficient than using one Pokemon for two jobs. I'm not quite sure what else you'd expect. However, by compressing roles, some Pokemon that used to be safe switch-ins (such as Hippo or Chansey) no longer become safe with a combination of some +Atk EVs invested as well as Flare Blitz (either through Shadow Bone + Flare Blitz or Bonemerang + Flare Blitz).

Look, you're saying "Use another Pokemon". But... its not really that simple. Are you saying you perfectly double-switch every time the opponent's tank comes in? I certainly don't have those godlike prediction skills. I prefer if my Marowak had the limited ability to wallbreak.

The general flow of combat is

Opponent Turn 0: Has Tapu Koko / Pheromosa out.
You Turn 1: Switch in A-Marowak
Opponent Turn 1: Attacks with Koko Volt-Switch, High Jump Kick / Ice Beam Pheromosa, etc. etc.
You Turn 2: A-Marowak pushes an attack button (probably Shadow Bone)
Opponent turn 2: Probably switch in a tank that can take the hit.

The point of high-Atk or even Flare Blitz Marowak is to give you the biggest options during "Opponent Turn 2": either delivering the biggest punish against the opponent's tank... specifically by building Marowak to outspeed-and-2HKOs against common tanks. I have had some limited success with 252+ Jolly Marowak for example, although I'm not sure if it'd be very good once people start speed creeping at ~80 speed or so that Jolly Marowak currently outruns pretty reliably.

I'm not advocating 252+ Jolly Marowak btw, I'm simply using it as a benchmark because: 1. I have experience with it. And 2. Its the ultimate "steelman" against your argument. Jolly 252+ has to run 0/0/0 HP and Defenses... but I honestly don't think its the best set.

In any case, my experience with Jolly 252+ indicates some blind spots to your logic. Have you run Jolly 252+ Marowak? Have you grabbed surprise 2HKOs against a Tapu Fini switchin? In my experience, Jolly 252+ does offer a unique advantage against the most obvious move for the opponent.

Now I'm participating in this discussion because I'm still trying to decide for myself exactly which speed tier is best for Marowak. I've tried tanky-Marowak, but as I stated before: I find that it is too weak / too few Atk EVs... and that most opponents will just throw a wall up to absorb the damage. In contrast, Jolly Marowak seems to still check Koko / Pheromosa, but definitely hits those "obvious switchins" harder.

Honestly, I'm currently aiming at a solid 2HKO with Bonemerang vs Toxapex (96+ Atk), and enough speed EVs to maybe outrun minimum Skarmory (and by extension Tyranitar, Hippowdon, Chansey). That's Adamant 204 speed btw.

------

In the case that Tapu Koko / Pheromosa click U-Turn, well, yeah, they get the advantage no matter what. Because U-Turn is a good move. So the only case that really matters is what happens when they stay in.

---------

My argument mostly lies with "Opponent Turn 2" and building the optimal Marowak for that case. Now here's what my experience has taught me:

1. More and more Tapu Kokos, Pheromosas are beginning to run Hidden Power Ground (or maybe Dark?) to "Lure" Marowak. Marowak requires 172 HP / 252 SpD to beat out Life Orb Hidden Power Dark... AND for stealth rocks to be kept off the field. This is a pretty major investment and in my experience, unreliable.

Tapu Koko has the weakest "relevant surprise" Hidden Power too, at only 95 Sp. Atk. If Genesect is running Dark Pulse or Pheromosa ran Hidden-Power Ground you're just straight up 2HKOd no matter what.

2. The alternative "Fire Punch" idea has very limited applicability. As I stated before, only Scizor and Ferrothron seem to be the relevant threats where Fire Punch is superior to Flare Blitz. In all other cases, Bonemerang or Shadow Bone were going to be used anyway... or Flare Blitz is a good end-game option (after the opponent's Koko or Pheromosa has been defeated... or Marowak has been worn down to low-enough HP that it should just deliver the biggest hit it can before dying)

-------------

So why run "Wallbreaker" Marowak? (High Atk EVs and Flare Blitz?) Because... opponents generally put walls up against Marowak, and double-switches are hard to do consistently.

Last edited:
You forgot another plus for Bomerang, and that's it's ability to stop Sturdy users and Focus Bands in their tracks.
It's might also combat Goslipod's ability, but not sure.

EDIT: Admittedly, sturdy or focus bands rarely come into play, but it's still there, right?

Last edited:
Just caught a shiny one and already evolve and leveled up a bit, he has Impish nature with Lightining Rod, what set and ev spread i could run? I was thinking in something like : Shadow Bone, Flare Blitz, Earthquake, Swords Dance or Will-o-Wisp

Just caught a shiny one and already evolve and leveled up a bit, he has Impish nature with Lightining Rod, what set and ev spread i could run? I was thinking in something like : Shadow Bone, Flare Blitz, Earthquake, Swords Dance or Will-o-Wisp
Impish nature kind of limits a fully offensive set, and since it's in SuMo it won't have Stealth Rock or Fire Punch as options. Maybe a phys-defensive or mixed wall set could work? Not sure about the EV's, but definitely run Shadow Bone and Wisp.

o0o shiny impish, luck you. adamant would be preferred but it's defense is it's largest stat (pre-thicc club) so impish could be good.
if you're gonna use it competitively, bonemerang has a couple slight advantages over EQ (break sash/sturdy/disguise, not weakened by grassy terrain (this will come into play when you're trying to EQ that toxpaex under grassy terrain and doing small dmg to it)), and you're better off with wisp than SD, cause it's very hard to find opportunities to set up, and often you'll be forced out before you can make much use of the boost.

So without adamant you should probly invest pretty heavily in attack (I think 184 EVs would put you at the same as 96 with adamant), have enough speed for celesteela (68 EVs), and then idk either try to mix the defenses or try out a full physically defensive set.

o0o shiny impish, luck you. adamant would be preferred but it's defense is it's largest stat (pre-thicc club) so impish could be good.
if you're gonna use it competitively, bonemerang has a couple slight advantages over EQ (break sash/sturdy/disguise, not weakened by grassy terrain (this will come into play when you're trying to EQ that toxpaex under grassy terrain and doing small dmg to it)), and you're better off with wisp than SD, cause it's very hard to find opportunities to set up, and often you'll be forced out before you can make much use of the boost.

So without adamant you should probly invest pretty heavily in attack (I think 184 EVs would put you at the same as 96 with adamant), have enough speed for celesteela (68 EVs), and then idk either try to mix the defenses or try out a full physically defensive set.
This is basically the set in the Sun / Moon analysis, so you really can't go wrong with that.

The formula for maximizing defenses is a bit difficult. I usually just estimate by trying to "equalize" HP and Defense. HP is less than Defense on Impish Marowak, so you should definitely start with a good chunk of HP EVs. (Since HP EVs will give you "more physical bulk" than Def EVs!). The 10% bonus on Impish changes things however, but its probably still a good metric to use.

Does anyone remember where the "maximizing defense" formula is? I think X-Act wrote a post on it a long time ago...

Humm, do you think really worth invest on speed? I dont know, i think it will be weak in the Sp Def side

Did some calcs of various Defense investments for Impish A-Marowak.
252+ Atk Tapu Bulu Wood Hammer vs. 248 HP / 0+ Def Marowak-Alola: 135-160 (41.7 - 49.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Technician Breloom Bullet Seed (5 hits) vs. 248 HP / 76+ Def Marowak-Alola: 155-180 (47.9 - 55.7%) -- approx. 14.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
44 Atk Technician Scizor-Mega Brutal Swing vs. 248 HP / 116+ Def Marowak-Alola: 144-170 (44.5 - 52.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 Atk Buzzwole Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 128+ Def Marowak-Alola: 144-170 (44.5 - 52.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Kartana Night Slash vs. 248 HP / 136+ Def Marowak-Alola: 146-172 (45.2 - 53.2%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Zen Headbutt vs. 248 HP / 144+ Def Marowak-Alola: 135-160 (41.7 - 49.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Pursuit vs. 248 HP / 180+ Def Marowak-Alola: 154-182 (47.6 - 56.3%) -- 25.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Dragon Claw vs. 248 HP / 216+ Def Marowak-Alola: 118-139 (36.5 - 43%) -- 25.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Tapu Bulu Wood Hammer vs. 248 HP / 224+ Def Marowak-Alola: 166-196 (51.3 - 60.6%) -- 46.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery and Grassy Terrain recovery
252+ Atk Tapu Bulu Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 248+ Def Marowak-Alola: 162-192 (50.1 - 59.4%) -- 25.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery and Grassy Terrain recovery
+1 252 Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Dragon Claw vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Marowak-Alola: 172-204 (50.7 - 60.1%) -- 86.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

The issue I see is many of OU's physical attacks hit AlolaWak for super-effective STAB (Lando, Zygarde, Ttar, Bisharp, etc), while others have super-effective coverage (Scizor's Pursuit/Swing, EQ/Edge on MegaGross Buzzwole and Bulu). I listed a lot of options, but a SpDef-biased mixed wall might benefit you the most afonsoml .

How does this sound?

EVs: 252 Atk / 8 Def / 248 HP
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Flare Blitz
- Bonemarang
- Swords Dance/Wil-o-wisp

Mariokemon

Isn't Marowak too slow to fully utilize swords dance, especially without any speed investment? Sure it will hit like a truck on steroids strapped to a rocket. But Is it really that bulky?

On a completely unrelated side not, I'd love it if A-Marow somehow got baton pass. Adding the ability to pass its Sp.A boost to someone who could actually use it, and avoiding pursuit would be amazing on top of all it's other resistances and immunities

Isn't Marowak too slow to fully utilize swords dance, especially without any speed investment? Sure it will hit like a truck on steroids strapped to a rocket. But Is it really that bulky?

On a completely unrelated side not, I'd love it if A-Marow somehow got baton pass. Adding the ability to pass its Sp.A boost to someone who could actually use it, and avoiding pursuit would be amazing on top of all it's other resistances and immunities
You could use Swords Dance with Trick Room support, but good luck pulling that off consistently well in Singles.

I could be wrong, but I think Baton Pass does not prevent Pursuit's doubled power, but U-Turn and Volt Switch do (or was the opposite true?)

Still, Baton Pass would have been a really cool move (I mean, can't Marowak use a bone as a baton?), and I've checked only two Pokemon right now have the combination of Baton Pass and "Ability that makes you immune to a type and boosts a stat" (Plusle has Lightning Rod and Emolga has Motor Drive)

You could use Swords Dance with Trick Room support, but good luck pulling that off consistently well in Singles.

I could be wrong, but I think Baton Pass does not prevent Pursuit's doubled power, but U-Turn and Volt Switch do (or was the opposite true?)

Still, Baton Pass would have been a really cool move (I mean, can't Marowak use a bone as a baton?), and I've checked only two Pokemon right now have the combination of Baton Pass and "Ability that makes you immune to a type and boosts a stat" (Plusle has Lightning Rod and Emolga has Motor Drive)
Opposite, it's why Celebi ran Baton Pass over U-Turn last gen to escape Tyranitar and trappers when pivoting.

I mean if you use Marowak in Trick Room, Sword Dance is pretty much required to break past protect stall anyway. Especially if Thick Club gets knocked off.

Hi guys !
As stealth rock is a transfer move, an alola marowak with it should not be possible, right ?
It's possible. You need to transfer a Cubone that knows the move to Alola then evolve it. Regardless of where it comes from, every Cubone in Sun and Moon games will evolve into Alola Marowak.

Mariokemon

Isn't Marowak too slow to fully utilize swords dance, especially without any speed investment?
They run a little bit of speed but SD marowak is alolan marowaks best set. It is probably the best trick room abuser right now and SD on alolan marowak allows you to break past toxapex stalls and balances. The utility of that on many normal teams is really really nice, as that is one of marowaks largest roles. It also doesnt get trapped by dugtrio.

A while ago I decided to look back into Alolan Marowak, since I wanted to see how it should be run after its pre-Pokebank glory. Alolan Marowak saw some usage prior to the Pheromosa suspect test due to it being a pretty great counter, but people only seemed to be focused on that fact. After a couple of weeks of testing a NEW set that I made, I feel I have found Marowak's most optimal set to run in the OU Metagame. This set is actually Specially Defensive with offensive pressure and surprise factor. I say surprise factor because pokemon such as gengar would not expect Alolan Marowak to live a shadow ball and obliterate it in return (calcs below to back this up).

The set:

Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 216 HP / 40 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Flare Blitz
- Stealth Rock /Other desired utility
- Will-O-Wisp /Bonemerang

The goal with this Alolan Marowak is to preserve it and outpace any special attacker below in the calcs I provided (which is basically every specially attacking pokemon except some water types). Also included in the calcs below are the physical threats that this Alolan Marowak outpaces due to the side-effect of having this much HP. When I say "outpace," I mean that it scores a OHKO vs. the opponent's 2HKO, 2HKO vs. 3HKO, etc. The given spread hits key defensive benchmarks as shown in the clacs, as well as important offensive benchmarks shown in the calcs. The majority of the calcs are shown WITHOUT rocks damage, and I annotated any calc with an explanation of why it's important if it's not obvious (for example, check out the Tornadus-Therian annotations.) Also, as seen in the Magearna calcs, I would calc Alolan Marowak taking a hit from offensive Magearna, while dealing damage to a bulky one because BOTH Magearnas would be OHKO'd. This helps show the sheer power and combined bulk.

At the end, I also included a list of pokemon that it'd be a bad idea to leave Alolan Marowak in against, with annotations where necessary.

Special attackers vs. Alolan Marowak (HUGE amount of calcs)

252 SpA Alakazam-Mega Shadow Ball vs. 216 HP / 252+ SpD Marowak-Alola: 182-216 (57.7 - 68.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

40 Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Shadow Bone vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Alakazam-Mega: 452-534 (180 - 212.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

~

+1 252+ SpA Celesteela Air Slash vs. 216 HP / 252+ SpD Marowak-Alola: 147-174 (46.6 - 55.2%) -- 67.6% chance to 2HKO

40 Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Flare Blitz vs. 84 HP / 0 Def Celesteela: 440-518 (123.5 - 145.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

~

252 SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Fire Blast vs. 216 HP / 252+ SpD Marowak-Alola in Sun: 130-153 (41.2 - 48.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

40 Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Charizard-Mega-Y in Sun: 207-243 (69.6 - 81.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

~

252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Extrasensory vs. 216 HP / 252+ SpD Marowak-Alola: 121-144 (38.4 - 45.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (Protean boost)

40 Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Shadow Bone vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Greninja: 444-524 (155.7 - 183.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO (After type changed to psychic)

NOTE: The standard protean greninja does not run Hydro Pump or Dark Pulse. Ash-greninja does that. Find out which one you're facing first before you bring in Alolan Marowak to check it.

~

252 SpA Choice Specs Latios Draco Meteor vs. 216 HP / 252+ SpD Marowak-Alola: 264-312 (83.8 - 99%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

40 Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Shadow Bone vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Latios: 384-452 (127.5 - 150.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

~

+2 252 SpA Magearna Twinkle Tackle (195 BP) vs. 216 HP / 252+ SpD Marowak-Alola: 264-312 (83.8 - 99%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Calcs at +1 and +0 are obviously less)

40 Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Flare Blitz vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Magearna: 402-474 (110.7 - 130.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO (This is the calc vs. Bulky AV magearna)

~

252+ SpA Choice Specs Magnezone Thunderbolt vs. 216 HP / 252+ SpD Marowak-Alola: 202-238 (64.1 - 75.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

40 Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Flare Blitz vs. 128 HP / 0 Def Magnezone: 402-474 (128.4 - 151.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO (SPECS Magnezone)

~

40 Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Skarmory: 338-398 (101.1 - 119.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO (Sp.Def Skarmory calc)

~

0 Atk Tangrowth Earthquake vs. 216 HP / 0 Def Marowak-Alola: 134-158 (42.5 - 50.1%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO (Assault Vest Tangrowth)

40 Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Tangrowth: 372-438 (92 - 108.4%) -- 50% chance to OHKO (Same AV Tangrowth as above) (ALSO: AV Tangrowth usually runs a -speed nature, which lets this Marowak outspeed by 4 points)

~

252 SpA Magnet Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 216 HP / 252+ SpD Marowak-Alola in Electric Terrain: 178-211 (56.5 - 66.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

40 Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Koko: 258-304 (91.8 - 108.1%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

~

252 SpA Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 216 HP / 252+ SpD Marowak-Alola in Psychic Terrain: 184-217 (58.4 - 68.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (SCARF Tapu Lele)

40 Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Shadow Bone vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tapu Lele: 404-476 (143.7 - 169.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

~

0 SpA Venusaur-Mega Sludge Bomb vs. 216 HP / 252+ SpD Marowak-Alola: 48-57 (15.2 - 18%) -- possible 6HKO

40 Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Flare Blitz vs. 232 HP / 180+ Def Thick Fat Venusaur-Mega: 150-176 (41.7 - 49%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (You can add some more attack to push this to a possible 2HKO, but this is not advised due to Venusaur having Synthesis/Giga Drain)

~

+2 252 SpA Volcarona Inferno Overdrive (185 BP) vs. 216 HP / 252+ SpD Marowak-Alola: 258-303 (81.9 - 96.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252 SpA Volcarona Hidden Power Ground vs. 216 HP / 252+ SpD Marowak-Alola: 224-264 (71.1 - 83.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

40 Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Volcarona: 321-378 (103.2 - 121.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

~

+1 252 SpA Xurkitree Thunderbolt vs. 216 HP / 252+ SpD Marowak-Alola: 228-268 (72.3 - 85%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Timid Scarf) (WARNING: Alolan Marowak can't take Thunderbolt after a Tail Glow)

40 Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Xurkitree: 297-351 (96.7 - 114.3%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

~

0 SpA Zapdos Discharge vs. 216 HP / 252+ SpD Marowak-Alola: 87-103 (27.6 - 32.6%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

40 Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Flare Blitz vs. 248 HP / 244+ Def Zapdos: 181-214 (47.2 - 55.8%) -- 24.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

~

+6 252 SpA Serperior Leaf Storm vs. 216 HP / 252+ SpD Marowak-Alola: 244-288 (77.4 - 91.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+4 252 SpA Serperior Hidden Power Ground vs. 216 HP / 252+ SpD Marowak-Alola: 226-268 (71.7 - 85%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (+6 HP Ground has a 75% chance to OHKO)

40 Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Flare Blitz vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Serperior: 470-554 (160.9 - 189.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

~

252 SpA Life Orb Tornadus-Therian Hurricane vs. 216 HP / 252+ SpD Marowak-Alola: 173-204 (54.9 - 64.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

40 Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tornadus-Therian: 271-319 (90.6 - 106.6%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO (This 90.6% minimum guarantees that if the original Flare Blitz does not KO, then the Life Orb Recoil will make the Tornadus-T drop

~

AV Tornadus-Therian

0 SpA Tornadus-Therian Hurricane vs. 216 HP / 252+ SpD Marowak-Alola: 108-127 (34.2 - 40.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

40 Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Flare Blitz vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Tornadus-Therian: 271-319 (75 - 88.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

~

252 SpA Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 216 HP / 252+ SpD Marowak-Alola: 218-258 (69.2 - 81.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Scarf Set)

252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 216 HP / 252+ SpD Marowak-Alola: 283-335 (89.8 - 106.3%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO (IMO a great surprise factor against Gengar.)

40 Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Shadow Bone vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Gengar: 480-566 (183.9 - 216.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

~

252 SpA Mew Genesis Supernova vs. 216 HP / 252+ SpD Marowak-Alola: 210-247 (66.6 - 78.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

40 Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Shadow Bone vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 320-378 (93.8 - 110.8%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

~

AND ALL THINGS THAT ARE OBVIOUS like Pheromosa, grass types, etc.

Physical attackers vs. Alolan Marowak spread

252 Atk Choice Band Buzzwole Poison Jab vs. 216 HP / 0 Def Marowak-Alola: 63-75 (20 - 23.8%) -- guaranteed 5HKO (Smogon Choice Band set does not list Earthquake, but if it is run on Buzzwole, CB EQ is a guaranteed OHKO to this set)

40 Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Buzzwole: 338-402 (95.2 - 113.2%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

~

252 Atk Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 216 HP / 0 Def Marowak-Alola: 254-300 (80.6 - 95.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (SCARF SET. Choice Band OHKOs)

40 Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Shadow Bone vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Dugtrio: 274-324 (129.8 - 153.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

~

252 Atk Beedrill-Mega Drill Run vs. 216 HP / 0 Def Marowak-Alola: 180-212 (57.1 - 67.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

40 Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Shadow Bone vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Beedrill-Mega: 322-379 (118.8 - 139.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

~

252 Atk Jirachi Iron Head vs. 216 HP / 0 Def Marowak-Alola: 51-60 (16.1 - 19%) -- possible 6HKO (Scarf set)

40 Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Jirachi: 450-530 (131.9 - 155.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO (Shadow Bone has a 62.5% chance to OHKO)

~

+2 252 Atk Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 216 HP / 0 Def Marowak-Alola: 174-205 (55.2 - 65%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

40 Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kartana: 712-844 (274.9 - 325.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

~

252+ Atk Huge Power Mawile-Mega Sucker Punch vs. 216 HP / 0 Def Marowak-Alola: 266-314 (84.4 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

WARNING: Mega Mawile will OHKO with Knock Off

-1 40 Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Flare Blitz vs. 92 HP / 0 Def Mawile-Mega: 248-294 (93.9 - 111.3%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO (This calc assumes the intimidate was applied. Without intimidate, this Marowak set gets the guaranteed OHKO.)

~

252 Atk Metagross-Mega Earthquake vs. 216 HP / 0 Def Marowak-Alola: 218-258 (69.2 - 81.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

40 Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Metagross-Mega: 318-374 (105.6 - 124.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

~

252 Atk Aerilate Pinsir-Mega Return vs. 216 HP / 0 Def Marowak-Alola: 210-247 (66.6 - 78.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (After a Swords Dance, Pinsir will OHKO with Return)

252 Atk Pinsir-Mega Earthquake vs. 216 HP / 0 Def Marowak-Alola: 230-272 (73 - 86.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (After a Swords Dance, Pinsir will OHKO with Earthquake)

40 Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Pinsir-Mega: 386-456 (142.4 - 168.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

~

AND ALL THINGS THAT ARE OBVIOUS like Scizor, Tapu Bulu, etc.

It is a bad idea to leave this Alolan Marowak set in against the following:

Ash Greninja,
Life Orb Protean Greninja with Hydro Pump (Can tank a LO Dark Pulse and OHKO back with Flare Blitz after Protean removes water type),
Heatran (Unless you're running Ground move)
Manaphy,
Nihilego,
Rotom-Wash,
Mega Sableye,
Tapu Fini (Can tank Moon Blast all day, but doesn't appreciate Nature's Madness),
Choice Specs Tapu Lele (Psychic has a 75% chance to OHKO, but Shadow Bone still OHKOs. Your call here),
Toxapex (Unless you're running Ground move),
Volcanion,
Primarina,
Keldeo,
Weavile (Doesn't tank Knock Off)

Given these pokemon that beat Alolan Marowak, fast electric types pair perfectly with Alolan Marowak. Scarf Tapu Koko with T-bolt, Dazzling Gleam, HP Ground, and filler move single-handedly annihilates 11 out of the 14 members on the threat list.

Overall, I feel that Alolan Marowak performs similarly to Heatran, but it hits MUCH harder. Yes, Heatran has the bloom doom trapper set for water types and leftovers; however, I believe that building a offensive team around Alolan Marowak is better since it removes some of the most powerful threats in the game that other pokemon fear. The other 5 members of your team will have 1 or 2 pokemon that wreak havoc vs. them. The odds that Alolan Marowak can dispose of those threats is extremely high.

A while ago I decided to look back into Alolan Marowak, since I wanted to see how it should be run after its pre-Pokebank glory. Alolan Marowak saw some usage prior to the Pheromosa suspect test due to it being a pretty great counter, but people only seemed to be focused on that fact. After a couple of weeks of testing a NEW set that I made, I feel I have found Marowak's most optimal set to run in the OU Metagame. This set is actually Specially Defensive with offensive pressure and surprise factor. I say surprise factor because pokemon such as gengar would not expect Alolan Marowak to live a shadow ball and obliterate it in return (calcs below to back this up).

The set:

Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 216 HP / 40 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Flare Blitz
- Stealth Rock /Other desired utility
- Will-O-Wisp /Bonemerang

The goal with this Alolan Marowak is to preserve it and outpace any special attacker below in the calcs I provided (which is basically every specially attacking pokemon except some water types). Also included in the calcs below are the physical threats that this Alolan Marowak outpaces due to the side-effect of having this much HP. When I say "outpace," I mean that it scores a OHKO vs. the opponent's 2HKO, 2HKO vs. 3HKO, etc. The given spread hits key defensive benchmarks as shown in the clacs, as well as important offensive benchmarks shown in the calcs. The majority of the calcs are shown WITHOUT rocks damage, and I annotated any calc with an explanation of why it's important if it's not obvious (for example, check out the Tornadus-Therian annotations.) Also, as seen in the Magearna calcs, I would calc Alolan Marowak taking a hit from offensive Magearna, while dealing damage to a bulky one because BOTH Magearnas would be OHKO'd. This helps show the sheer power and combined bulk.

At the end, I also included a list of pokemon that it'd be a bad idea to leave Alolan Marowak in against, with annotations where necessary.

Special attackers vs. Alolan Marowak (HUGE amount of calcs)

252 SpA Alakazam-Mega Shadow Ball vs. 216 HP / 252+ SpD Marowak-Alola: 182-216 (57.7 - 68.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

40 Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Shadow Bone vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Alakazam-Mega: 452-534 (180 - 212.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

~

+1 252+ SpA Celesteela Air Slash vs. 216 HP / 252+ SpD Marowak-Alola: 147-174 (46.6 - 55.2%) -- 67.6% chance to 2HKO

40 Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Flare Blitz vs. 84 HP / 0 Def Celesteela: 440-518 (123.5 - 145.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

~

252 SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Fire Blast vs. 216 HP / 252+ SpD Marowak-Alola in Sun: 130-153 (41.2 - 48.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

40 Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Charizard-Mega-Y in Sun: 207-243 (69.6 - 81.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

~

252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Extrasensory vs. 216 HP / 252+ SpD Marowak-Alola: 121-144 (38.4 - 45.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (Protean boost)

40 Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Shadow Bone vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Greninja: 444-524 (155.7 - 183.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO (After type changed to psychic)

NOTE: The standard protean greninja does not run Hydro Pump or Dark Pulse. Ash-greninja does that. Find out which one you're facing first before you bring in Alolan Marowak to check it.

~

252 SpA Choice Specs Latios Draco Meteor vs. 216 HP / 252+ SpD Marowak-Alola: 264-312 (83.8 - 99%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

40 Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Shadow Bone vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Latios: 384-452 (127.5 - 150.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

~

+2 252 SpA Magearna Twinkle Tackle (195 BP) vs. 216 HP / 252+ SpD Marowak-Alola: 264-312 (83.8 - 99%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Calcs at +1 and +0 are obviously less)

40 Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Flare Blitz vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Magearna: 402-474 (110.7 - 130.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO (This is the calc vs. Bulky AV magearna)

~

252+ SpA Choice Specs Magnezone Thunderbolt vs. 216 HP / 252+ SpD Marowak-Alola: 202-238 (64.1 - 75.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

40 Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Flare Blitz vs. 128 HP / 0 Def Magnezone: 402-474 (128.4 - 151.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO (SPECS Magnezone)

~

40 Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Skarmory: 338-398 (101.1 - 119.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO (Sp.Def Skarmory calc)

~

0 Atk Tangrowth Earthquake vs. 216 HP / 0 Def Marowak-Alola: 134-158 (42.5 - 50.1%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO (Assault Vest Tangrowth)

40 Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Tangrowth: 372-438 (92 - 108.4%) -- 50% chance to OHKO (Same AV Tangrowth as above) (ALSO: AV Tangrowth usually runs a -speed nature, which lets this Marowak outspeed by 4 points)

~

252 SpA Magnet Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 216 HP / 252+ SpD Marowak-Alola in Electric Terrain: 178-211 (56.5 - 66.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

40 Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Koko: 258-304 (91.8 - 108.1%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

~

252 SpA Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 216 HP / 252+ SpD Marowak-Alola in Psychic Terrain: 184-217 (58.4 - 68.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (SCARF Tapu Lele)

40 Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Shadow Bone vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tapu Lele: 404-476 (143.7 - 169.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

~

0 SpA Venusaur-Mega Sludge Bomb vs. 216 HP / 252+ SpD Marowak-Alola: 48-57 (15.2 - 18%) -- possible 6HKO

40 Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Flare Blitz vs. 232 HP / 180+ Def Thick Fat Venusaur-Mega: 150-176 (41.7 - 49%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (You can add some more attack to push this to a possible 2HKO, but this is not advised due to Venusaur having Synthesis/Giga Drain)

~

+2 252 SpA Volcarona Inferno Overdrive (185 BP) vs. 216 HP / 252+ SpD Marowak-Alola: 258-303 (81.9 - 96.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252 SpA Volcarona Hidden Power Ground vs. 216 HP / 252+ SpD Marowak-Alola: 224-264 (71.1 - 83.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

40 Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Volcarona: 321-378 (103.2 - 121.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

~

+1 252 SpA Xurkitree Thunderbolt vs. 216 HP / 252+ SpD Marowak-Alola: 228-268 (72.3 - 85%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Timid Scarf) (WARNING: Alolan Marowak can't take Thunderbolt after a Tail Glow)

40 Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Xurkitree: 297-351 (96.7 - 114.3%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

~

0 SpA Zapdos Discharge vs. 216 HP / 252+ SpD Marowak-Alola: 87-103 (27.6 - 32.6%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

40 Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Flare Blitz vs. 248 HP / 244+ Def Zapdos: 181-214 (47.2 - 55.8%) -- 24.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

~

+6 252 SpA Serperior Leaf Storm vs. 216 HP / 252+ SpD Marowak-Alola: 244-288 (77.4 - 91.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+4 252 SpA Serperior Hidden Power Ground vs. 216 HP / 252+ SpD Marowak-Alola: 226-268 (71.7 - 85%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (+6 HP Ground has a 75% chance to OHKO)

40 Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Flare Blitz vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Serperior: 470-554 (160.9 - 189.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

~

252 SpA Life Orb Tornadus-Therian Hurricane vs. 216 HP / 252+ SpD Marowak-Alola: 173-204 (54.9 - 64.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

40 Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tornadus-Therian: 271-319 (90.6 - 106.6%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO (This 90.6% minimum guarantees that if the original Flare Blitz does not KO, then the Life Orb Recoil will make the Tornadus-T drop

~

AV Tornadus-Therian

0 SpA Tornadus-Therian Hurricane vs. 216 HP / 252+ SpD Marowak-Alola: 108-127 (34.2 - 40.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

40 Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Flare Blitz vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Tornadus-Therian: 271-319 (75 - 88.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

~

252 SpA Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 216 HP / 252+ SpD Marowak-Alola: 218-258 (69.2 - 81.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Scarf Set)

252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 216 HP / 252+ SpD Marowak-Alola: 283-335 (89.8 - 106.3%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO (IMO a great surprise factor against Gengar.)

40 Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Shadow Bone vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Gengar: 480-566 (183.9 - 216.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

~

252 SpA Mew Genesis Supernova vs. 216 HP / 252+ SpD Marowak-Alola: 210-247 (66.6 - 78.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

40 Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Shadow Bone vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 320-378 (93.8 - 110.8%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

~

AND ALL THINGS THAT ARE OBVIOUS like Pheromosa, grass types, etc.

Physical attackers vs. Alolan Marowak spread

252 Atk Choice Band Buzzwole Poison Jab vs. 216 HP / 0 Def Marowak-Alola: 63-75 (20 - 23.8%) -- guaranteed 5HKO (Smogon Choice Band set does not list Earthquake, but if it is run on Buzzwole, CB EQ is a guaranteed OHKO to this set)

40 Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Buzzwole: 338-402 (95.2 - 113.2%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

~

252 Atk Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 216 HP / 0 Def Marowak-Alola: 254-300 (80.6 - 95.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (SCARF SET. Choice Band OHKOs)

40 Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Shadow Bone vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Dugtrio: 274-324 (129.8 - 153.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

~

252 Atk Beedrill-Mega Drill Run vs. 216 HP / 0 Def Marowak-Alola: 180-212 (57.1 - 67.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

40 Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Shadow Bone vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Beedrill-Mega: 322-379 (118.8 - 139.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

~

252 Atk Jirachi Iron Head vs. 216 HP / 0 Def Marowak-Alola: 51-60 (16.1 - 19%) -- possible 6HKO (Scarf set)

40 Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Jirachi: 450-530 (131.9 - 155.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO (Shadow Bone has a 62.5% chance to OHKO)

~

+2 252 Atk Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 216 HP / 0 Def Marowak-Alola: 174-205 (55.2 - 65%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

40 Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kartana: 712-844 (274.9 - 325.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

~

252+ Atk Huge Power Mawile-Mega Sucker Punch vs. 216 HP / 0 Def Marowak-Alola: 266-314 (84.4 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

WARNING: Mega Mawile will OHKO with Knock Off

-1 40 Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Flare Blitz vs. 92 HP / 0 Def Mawile-Mega: 248-294 (93.9 - 111.3%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO (This calc assumes the intimidate was applied. Without intimidate, this Marowak set gets the guaranteed OHKO.)

~

252 Atk Metagross-Mega Earthquake vs. 216 HP / 0 Def Marowak-Alola: 218-258 (69.2 - 81.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

40 Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Metagross-Mega: 318-374 (105.6 - 124.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

~

252 Atk Aerilate Pinsir-Mega Return vs. 216 HP / 0 Def Marowak-Alola: 210-247 (66.6 - 78.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (After a Swords Dance, Pinsir will OHKO with Return)

252 Atk Pinsir-Mega Earthquake vs. 216 HP / 0 Def Marowak-Alola: 230-272 (73 - 86.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (After a Swords Dance, Pinsir will OHKO with Earthquake)

40 Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Pinsir-Mega: 386-456 (142.4 - 168.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

~

AND ALL THINGS THAT ARE OBVIOUS like Scizor, Tapu Bulu, etc.

It is a bad idea to leave this Alolan Marowak set in against the following:

Ash Greninja,
Life Orb Protean Greninja with Hydro Pump (Can tank a LO Dark Pulse and OHKO back with Flare Blitz after Protean removes water type),
Heatran (Unless you're running Ground move)
Manaphy,
Nihilego,
Rotom-Wash,
Mega Sableye,
Tapu Fini (Can tank Moon Blast all day, but doesn't appreciate Nature's Madness),
Choice Specs Tapu Lele (Psychic has a 75% chance to OHKO, but Shadow Bone still OHKOs. Your call here),
Toxapex (Unless you're running Ground move),
Volcanion,
Primarina,
Keldeo,
Weavile (Doesn't tank Knock Off)

Given these pokemon that beat Alolan Marowak, fast electric types pair perfectly with Alolan Marowak. Scarf Tapu Koko with T-bolt, Dazzling Gleam, HP Ground, and filler move single-handedly annihilates 11 out of the 14 members on the threat list.

Overall, I feel that Alolan Marowak performs similarly to Heatran, but it hits MUCH harder. Yes, Heatran has the bloom doom trapper set for water types and leftovers; however, I believe that building a offensive team around Alolan Marowak is better since it removes some of the most powerful threats in the game that other pokemon fear. The other 5 members of your team will have 1 or 2 pokemon that wreak havoc vs. them. The odds that Alolan Marowak can dispose of those threats is extremely high.
specially defensive alolan marowak lacks any recovery, and can easily get worn down by stealth rocks. it also lacks the firepower of offensive alolan marowak which allows it to destroy most of its switchins. in a metagame with specially defensive alolan marowak being bad, rock head specially defensive is plain unviable and outclassed by heatran. you mentioned that protean greninja doesn't have dark Pulse or hydro pump directly listed, but they are very common coverage moves, dark pulse hits mega metagross, bronzong, and jirachi for maximum damage, while hydro pump destroys heatran, marowak-alola, and hits for the most damage against pokemon like mega sableye.some of the calcs require alolan marowak to be at full, which it is very rare to be, and on the other ones, alolan marowak should switch out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)