Pokémon Alola Marowak

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have trouble seeing how Bonemerang is the optimal coverage over Low Kick. Hypothetically it's capable of breaking Substitutes and Sashes and Sturdy, but in practice the Substitute/Sash/Sturdy users I can think of will force Alolawak out, won't switch in against it, and/or won't stay in against it. Or they just aren't OHKOed by Bonemerang in the first place. Feel free to remind me of anything I overlooked.

Ground coverage is more useful versus Heatran, but Heatran will need Earth Power to make it worth staying in against Marowak, and Shadow Bone + Low Kick will KO 252 HP / 0 Def sets regardless. Low Kick also picks up the OHKO on Tyranitar switch-ins (except in the case of Chople Berry) without investment. Hydreigon has a 31.3% chance to get one-shotted by Low Kick too, fwiw.

Ground coverage is theoretically useful versus Toxapex, but rather than fish for such a risky 2HKO on the switch against a Water-type I would rather just click Shadow Bone and freely pivot out to something that doesn't care. Really, Shadow Bone is such a killer app for a pivot like Alolawak -- rather than play riskily with niche coverage moves or worry about the opponent pivoting around into a check, it can just click Shadow Bone and switch to something that's naturally suited for the opponent at hand. Tyranitar is the biggest deterrent to doing this, which is why I think the ability to OHKO it on the switch is invaluable.

I have trouble seeing how Bonemerang is the optimal coverage over Low Kick. Hypothetically it's capable of breaking Substitutes and Sashes and Sturdy, but in practice the Substitute/Sash/Sturdy users I can think of will force Alolawak out, won't switch in against it, and/or won't stay in against it. Or they just aren't OHKOed by Bonemerang in the first place. Feel free to remind me of anything I overlooked.

Ground coverage is more useful versus Heatran, but Heatran will need Earth Power to make it worth staying in against Marowak, and Shadow Bone + Low Kick will KO 252 HP / 0 Def sets regardless. Low Kick also picks up the OHKO on Tyranitar switch-ins (except in the case of Chople Berry) without investment. Hydreigon has a 31.3% chance to get one-shotted by Low Kick too, fwiw.

Ground coverage is theoretically useful versus Toxapex, but rather than fish for such a risky 2HKO on the switch against a Water-type I would rather just click Shadow Bone and freely pivot out to something that doesn't care. Really, Shadow Bone is such a killer app for a pivot like Alolawak -- rather than play riskily with niche coverage moves or worry about the opponent pivoting around into a check, it can just click Shadow Bone and switch to something that's naturally suited for the opponent at hand. Tyranitar is the biggest deterrent to doing this, which is why I think the ability to OHKO it on the switch is invaluable.
You make a good point, and T-tar is a notable KO that bonemerang doesn't get. Coverage wise, you are hitting a lot of the same things (rocks and steels), but missing out on things like beating Toxapex (it's scald does around 53%, but you move first), breaking the aforementioned sashes, breaking mimikyu's disguise, and hitting electrics (bonemerang is alowak's only move outside of blitz that ohkos xurkitree and tapu koko), fires and poisons SE is probably a little more weighty than missing out on ttar and hydra, the first of which is often burned on the switch/sac, and the second of which alowak has no business fighting. That said, i click bonemerang like once every 3-4 games, and i feel like regardless of the coverage move, it's not gonna get used that much cause most of the time you're gonna be hitting something on the switch with your STAB.

Thought I'd ask to be sure, is Cursed Body generally not worth running compared to A-wak's other abilities? Lightningrod stops things like Koko and Xurkitree, and Rock Head prevents Blitz recoil if you're not using Fire Punch. Disabling a SE move or something choiced sounds useful, but it's definitely less consistent than the other options.

Thought I'd ask to be sure, is Cursed Body generally not worth running compared to A-wak's other abilities? Lightningrod stops things like Koko and Xurkitree, and Rock Head prevents Blitz recoil if you're not using Fire Punch. Disabling a SE move or something choiced sounds useful, but it's definitely less consistent than the other options.
Unless your name is Gengar and you don't have any alternate abilities (or Froslass and your alternate abilities aren't really usable), Cursed Body should never be considered.

Its unreliable, having only has a 30% chance to activate. You're also throwing away the two reasons you would use A-Marowak in the first place as well. If you're not running Lightningrod, you can no longer check or counter Tapu Koko or Xurkitree as they're able to 2HKO with Thunderbolt. If you're not running Rock Head you can no longer threaten the opponent with devastating spammable Flare Blitzes.

Planning to use this with aurora veil I want to throw out a calc:

4 SpA Toxapex Scald vs. 204 HP / 4 SpD Marowak-Alola through Light Screen: 33-40 (20.4 - 24.8%) -- guaranteed 5HKO

under aurora veil, Toxapex is unable to break A-Marowak's subs. Not sure if this is significant, but it might be useful.

Edit: after mulling it over I think Im going with

Adamant
204 HP/ 168 Atk/ 132 Spe
F-Blitz
Bonemerang/EQ
Shadow bone
Sub

168 Atk reaches 522 Atk w/thick club.

Last edited:
Hey I just found out Alolan Marowak is one of the most used mons in OU atm, I haven't really had the time to play OU yet but I don't understand how it is possible when you have so many broken things running around. I'm sorry if this isn't the right place to ask this question.

Hey I just found out Alolan Marowak is one of the most used mons in OU atm, I haven't really had the time to play OU yet but I don't understand how it is possible when you have so many broken things running around. I'm sorry if this isn't the right place to ask this question.
Uh, it's exactly those "broken things". Marowak just so happens to check those things pretty well.

Oh, it's surprisingly effective. It's a shame that if and when those "broken things" do go, Marowak is likely going to take a plummet.

Possibly but not necessarily. Looking at the four most likely future suspects - sure, Marowak shot to prominence due to Pheromosa and Genesect, but it would love a meta without Lele and Protean Greninja, and the rest of its targets (Koko, Xurkitree, Volcarona etc) aren't going anywhere anyway.

Possibly but not necessarily. Looking at the four most likely future suspects - sure, Marowak shot to prominence due to Pheromosa and Genesect, but it would love a meta without Lele and Protean Greninja, and the rest of its targets (Koko, Xurkitree, Volcarona etc) aren't going anywhere anyway.
Another thing I wonder about is when we learn the status of some old Mega Stones, because Marowak absolutely eats momentum from Mega Manectric (and the mon itself), while also being a hard stop to things like Thundurus without Knock Off and Raikou without Shadow Ball, which are usable but not necessarily their preferred coverage choices. It also helps that some old mons that would pose a problem are still on a decline because of the Tapus (Keldeo and Latios, for example).

Two potential problem mons that could see a rise post Bug-Bans are Tyranitar and Ash-Greninja (less meta threatening than Protean, but when Protean Greninja gets banned nothing to compete and Ash-Ninja's still a potent Wallbreaker)

What is the current most consistent EV spread for an Adamant Maro nowadays?

248HP/128Atk/132Speed to outspeed all Celesteelas?

Last edited:
Another thing I wonder about is when we learn the status of some old Mega Stones, because Marowak absolutely eats momentum from Mega Manectric (and the mon itself), while also being a hard stop to things like Thundurus without Knock Off and Raikou without Shadow Ball, which are usable but not necessarily their preferred coverage choices. It also helps that some old mons that would pose a problem are still on a decline because of the Tapus (Keldeo and Latios, for example).

Two potential problem mons that could see a rise post Bug-Bans are Tyranitar and Ash-Greninja (less meta threatening than Protean, but when Protean Greninja gets banned nothing to compete and Ash-Ninja's still a potent Wallbreaker)
Something that's interesting to note is that Alolan Marowak can shoudown ORAS sets of Mega Medicham that dropped Zen Headbutt for boltbeam coverage. Then again, Sun and Moon would give Mega Medicham, should it ever come back, quite a lot more incentives to run Zen Headbutt, like Marowak itself, but also Buzzwole, Toxapex and a resurgence in Mega Venusaur, not to mention Psychic Terrain. Also less reasons to run Fake Out now, because of the Mega buff and of Psychic Terrain again, so dual STAB+Boltbeam is probably going to be a legit option now, if not the main set.

Even when ninja frog, and overpowered as shit cockroach goes, Marowak-A will still have a place in the meta, sure it will lose some usage but it will be around.

Offensive Tank
Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 112 SpD / 132 Spe (EV spread by Jaguar360)
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Flare Blitz / Fire Punch
- Earthquake / Bonemarang
- Will-O-Wisp / Toxic / Stealth Rock / Swords Dance

I copied this set and the only thing I have different is that I have rock head, is this bad?

Offensive Tank
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Bone

I copied this set and the only thing I have different is that I have rock head, is this bad?
You lose alot of what makes Marowak such a good tank, being you neuter electric types with Lightning Rod. that added Immunity is a major part of why Marowak is so good.

You lose alot of what makes Marowak such a good tank, being you neuter electric types with Lightning Rod. that added Immunity is a major part of why Marowak is so good.
On one hand, you lose an electricity immunity, which is pretty damn huge in this current meta when Tapu Koko is running circles around people's heads. On the other hand, you can now fire off Flare Blitzes with Rock Head with sheer impunity, and if you're looking to be a horrible person you can also run Double Edge for better coverage in conjunction with Flare Blitz- the enemy team would literally lose unless they have Toxapex and/or Heatran, and even then you can mindgame them into switching into a Bonemerang or Earthquake. It's not a BAD thing to run Rock Head, per say, it's just worse most of the time than Lightning Rod.

Offensive Tank
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Bone

Yes I would guess from those spdef evs that this spread is attempting to make up for lightning rod by trying to eat volt switches? That can't be right tho...

But, at least in the current meta, this set (edit: rock head flare blitz being 'this set') is bad. You don't outspeed enough things to be a revenge killer, you lose your best utility and easiest way to switch in (lightningrod), and idk I just can't imagine this set sticks around long enough to do much of anything. Again, this is just for our current right this minute meta, but alowak's (incredible) niche is that it checks/counters genesect, pheromosa, tapu koko, buzzwole, and any other fighting/electric without ghost or ground coverage. That's simply far too much utility to give up for a mon that's too slow to hit anything remotely offensive.
I was running 132 speed as well to outspeed celesteela, but it seems the thing to do now is outrun minus speed celesteela, which only requires 68 speed EVs.
IMO use lightning rod and fire punch, otherwise alowak can't really do it's job effectively.

Why are we using Bonemarang? It wont OHKO Mimickyu, and Marowak has no business trying to break Disguise and eating Ghost STAB. Bulky Buzzwole and Zygarde are the most common Substitute users I've seen and have fun breaking those Subs with it. Azelf the only Sash user I've seen so far, and I've seen quite a bit of them, but it's immune to Bonemarang. The only usable Sturdy users in OU are Forretress and Skarmory and Bonemerang isn't doing much of anything to either of them. It has honestly missed more times than it has been helpful.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Why are we using Bonemarang? It wont OHKO Mimickyu, and Marowak has no business trying to break Disguise and eating Ghost STAB. Bulky Buzzwole and Zygarde are the most common Substitute users I've seen and have fun breaking those Subs with it. Azelf the only Sash user I've seen so far, and I've seen quite a bit of them, but it's immune to Bonemarang. The only usable Sturdy users in OU are Forretress and Skarmory and Bonemerang isn't doing much of anything to either of them. It has honestly missed more times than it has been helpful.
It's mainly because Bonemarang is unaffected by Grassy Terrain while Earthquake has its damage cut in half.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)