Pokémon Alolan Raichu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I definitely prefer to use Sparksurfer over most other items just because of the surprise factor (while LO is probably better overall).

Poll:
Focus Blast or Surf?

I know they accomplish completely different things, but which do you think is preferrential?
On Rain Attacker (the good set) run both. On NP (the less good set) Focus Blast.

Poll:
Focus Blast or Surf?
I know they accomplish completely different things, but which do you think is preferrential?
Clearly Surf for three reasons:
(1) Having a coverage move towards Grounds is always a good thing to have. There are plenty Grounds in OU, which are at least hit neutrally by Surf and A-Marowak (a check to Surfless A-Raichu) isn't that happy to switch directly into you if you show this Water-type move;
(2) It is even more useful with Rain up, both using your own Pelipper or your opponent's one. Keep in mind that A-Raichu can use the good combination of Electric Terrain+Rain up or Psychic Terrain+Rain up;
(3) 70% accuracy is never a good thing to rely on without means to rectify this. Seriously, without Focus Blast you miss very few targets in the OU environment.

I definitely prefer to use Sparksurfer over most other items just because of the surprise factor (while LO is probably better overall).

Poll:
Focus Blast or Surf?

If I'm not wrong, the following Pokemon are the only relevant ones in which you'd want to use Focus Miss over Surf if you want to hit them harder:
- Tyranitar in sand
- Ferrothorn
- Magnezone outside of rain

(In each case, Thunderbolt hits them harder than Surf)

So quick question, why use these particular IV's for A-Raichu? I've seen this for quite a few mons, but have no idea what it's for.

What teammates are you guys using other than the staples? (Pelipper and Tapu Cocoa)

Just curious, b/c I've been trying to build a cohesive team with not a ton of success. I've tried and like Marowak-A and Greninja so far, but I'm curious what you guys use.

What teammates are you guys using other than the staples? (Pelipper and Tapu Cocoa)

Just curious, b/c I've been trying to build a cohesive team with not a ton of success. I've tried and like Marowak-A and Greninja so far, but I'm curious what you guys use.
I've found Mega Scizor to be awesome for it.

obviously kokochu needs a ground resist (while immunity is better), but I have no idea what to use. Pelipper and Lando-T seem like good go-tos, but I'm curious what team comps people are using anyways

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I like Ferrothorn as a partner 'cause muh spikes

also he meant Lando-T most likely

Latias has been working well for me. It is a great defogger who appreciates A-Raichu's ground weakness while also checking pretty much everything that is a Special Attacker, and hitting back hard. Latios should work too, altough in my case, I needed a mon that could wall stuff.

Physical dark types would come to destroy though. Even then, I could see still work insanely well as a special-attacking, defogging, rain-dancer

The main weakness of Raichu is obviously it's terrible defensive typing coupled with its terrible base defenses. My main inquiry is I have no idea if Raichu values bulkier support teammates or offensive teammates to support Raichu's offensive sweeper role. I see Raichu being an electric type variant of Sand Rush Excadrill that can hit much harder and can run more unpredictable sets due to the large variety of moves it can get.

Honestly from what I can tell Alolan Raichu builds are somewhat one-dimensional. Generally speaking they are constructed like this:
  • Tapu Koko
  • Alolan Raichu
  • Pelipper
  • Kingdra
  • Hazard setter
  • Filler
Hey! I don't use Kingdra!
Well, it is pretty much a team tightly built around a core, but it has variations. For example, I skipped a Swift Swimmer(didn't see the need) and have a SashGreninja to lure some stuff. But, well, A-Raichu is... kinda independent. Just make sure Terrain is up, and go to town.

I've found that Terrain extender isn't a necessity per say on Koko and have been using a lure Koko to damage walls pretty handily and open the way for Raichu and Kingdra. What have you guys been using on your Koko's?

I use terrain extender. You see, the thing I'm trying to do is promote a team comp for Kokochu that does not include Pelipper and/or rain. So, I'm curious if anyone is trying to use this mon outside of rain, because I think that limiting it to a rain+electric terrain sweeper is really shallow-minded.

Yeah, I also get that Raichu is extremely independent, which is great for a sweeper, but I'm just curious what defensive support options you guys are using if there even are any.

Yeah, I also get that Raichu is extremely independent, which is great for a sweeper, but I'm just curious what defensive support options you guys are using if there even are any.
MegaGross is a helpful teammate, being able to beat and wall opposing fairies(read: Tapus) while being overall good. It is really customizable as well, so you can change it as needed.

Raichu definitely needs anti-Tapu Lele support since after it switches in, Scarf Lele outspeeds due to the terrain conversion. Tapu Bulu support is also appreciated.
Alolachu also really appreciates the presence of Water and Fighting types since they remove Ground-types and Dark-Types respectively.
Note that water types also helps Raichu remove Alolawak, Raichu's main check currently.

I feel that Mega/Life Orb Scizor also might be good, with Technician-boosted bullet punch, but you might wanna have a U-turn to have a more synergised team swapping gimmick and, if you have him, have access to Pelipper when they pull out a fire type.

P.S. I wanna know some viability things about Raichu-A.

-Is Stoked Sparksurfer preferable over Life Orb? A special nuzzle is great, oh, and did I mention it's BP? It's an electric nuke with 175. But I feel it's been dragging Raichu down in power overall.

-Is Thunder a good idea when running with Pelliper? If I do, he gets more firepower, but at the cost of being more reliant on teammates. 70 accuracy is really bad. I don't know if 20 extra % for paralysis and 20 more BP is worth it.

-Again with the team synergy thing, should I put Volt Switch anywhere in Raichu's moveset?

I feel that Mega/Life Orb Scizor also might be good, with Technician-boosted bullet punch, but you might wanna have a U-turn to have a more synergised team swapping gimmick and, if you have him, have access to Pelipper when they pull out a fire type.

P.S. I wanna know some viability things about Raichu-A.

-Is Stoked Sparksurfer preferable over Life Orb? A special nuzzle is great, oh, and did I mention it's BP? It's an electric nuke with 175. But I feel it's been dragging Raichu down in power overall.

-Is Thunder a good idea when running with Pelliper? If I do, he gets more firepower, but at the cost of being more reliant on teammates. 70 accuracy is really bad. I don't know if 20 extra % for paralysis and 20 more BP is worth it.

-Again with the team synergy thing, should I put Volt Switch anywhere in Raichu's moveset?
-Life Orb is better overall, as Raichu-A would really want to boost the power of your coverage moves with its 95 Special Attack. Thunder/Thunderbolt hits hard enough already under Electric Terrain.

-Thunder is an optimal choice when Pelipper is a teammate. With Damp Rock, U-Turn, and Roost, Rain is pretty easy to maintain throughout the battle.

-Raichu is already hard-pressed for coverage moves so Volt Switch isn't much preferred. Plus, Raichu should be sweeping under the Electric Terrain, not pivoting out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)